• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
Lebowski

2017 Hoosiers

37 minutes ago, southend said:

So we traded one coordinator for another, right? And it will continue ,for Indiana Football ,until they can pony up for a real head coach. In the mean time getting Hoeppner was a once in a million chance for a program like Indiana's. 

The big difference with this coordinator (Allen) is he was already on the staff AND he has connections in Indiana.  People coming here for coaching from outside of the program and/or the state don't have that "edge".  Allen already has/had a network to work from.  As I said, I'm curious to see how well he recruits within the state.  After watching the team play this season, I am fairly positive one of the priorities will be to sign a few good offensive linemen.  Not saying he'll necessarily find them in Indiana.  Just think the O line has been somewhat of an "issue" and needs to be addressed.  Yeah, Hep was one-in-a-million kind of person and coach. 

Agreed, that "edge" is very important for any program to be successful. I think for an outsider,  Wilson worked the state and after a few years got that "edge". Bringing in top talent from the state ?every year he was here. And was smart enough to bring in the "Home Boy" coach Allen. So yea ,now the big thing now is , to get Indiana school boys to buy into the Hoosiers new offense. And the "O" coaches. 

8 minutes ago, southend said:

Agreed, that "edge" is very important for any program to be successful. I think for an outsider,  Wilson worked the state and after a few years got that "edge". Bringing in top talent from the state ?every year he was here. And was smart enough to bring in the "Home Boy" coach Allen. So yea ,now the big thing now is , to get Indiana school boys to buy into the Hoosiers new offense. And the "O" coaches. 

I too, think it (edge) is very important.  Not so certain that Wilson always took advantage of that as I recall several people saying (it seemed) he let several players get away and sign with other schools.  Granted, a coach isn't going to sign everyone they attempt to recruit.  According to everything I hear, Allen is a pretty good "salesman".  You KNOW that's what goes on in the recruiting process.  Coaches have to sell.  The good thing about Allen is, he is well known and has a solid reputation so players will listen to him a bit differently than someone else not from Indiana.  He'll have a bit more credibility in some people's eyes.   And if IU goes to a bowl this year, that will give him even more ammo for his "sales pitch".  It will be interesting to follow along on this. 

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

The big difference with this coordinator (Allen) is he was already on the staff AND he has connections in Indiana.  People coming here for coaching from outside of the program and/or the state don't have that "edge".  Allen already has/had a network to work from.  As I said, I'm curious to see how well he recruits within the state.  After watching the team play this season, I am fairly positive one of the priorities will be to sign a few good offensive linemen.  Not saying he'll necessarily find them in Indiana.  Just think the O line has been somewhat of an "issue" and needs to be addressed.  Yeah, Hep was one-in-a-million kind of person and coach. 

With all due respect to the memory of Coach Hoeppner, I just don't quite get all the hoopla over his tenure at IU given the results.  

Head coaching record[edit]

College[edit]

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Miami RedHawks (Mid-American Conference) (1999–2004)
1999 Miami 7–4 6–2 2nd (East)      
2000 Miami 6–5 5–3 T–3rd (East)      
2001 Miami 7–5 6–2 T–2nd (East)    
2002 Miami 7–5 5–3 3rd (East)      
2003 Miami 13–1 8–0 1st (East) W GMAC 12 10
2004 Miami 8–5 7–1 1st (East) L Independence    
Miami: 48–25 37–11  
Indiana Hoosiers (Big Ten Conference) (2005–2006)
2005 Indiana 4–7 1–7 10th      
2006 Indiana 5–7 3–5 T–6th      
Indiana: 9–14 4–12  
Total: 57–39  
      National championship         Conference title         Conference division title

What was IU record prior to 05 arrival?   I know I remember a lot of upward trending vibes for Coach Hoepner's message and if they had only won 1 or 2 games then started to win 5 and 1 game away from Bowl, some could speculate that the next year was gonna be a better jump.  

• Upvote 1

Here was the record prior to and immediately following Coach Heps tenure at IU.  Looks like he was right in line with the others.  the decision to fire Cameron in 2001 was a disaster for the program.  

1993 Bill Mallory 8–4   T-4th L Independence    
1994 Bill Mallory 7–4   T-5th      
1995 Bill Mallory 2–9   T-9th      
1996 Bill Mallory 3–8   T-9th      
1997 Cam Cameron 2–9   T-9th      
1998 Cam Cameron 4-7   T-7th      
1999 Cam Cameron 4–7   T-8th      
2000 Cam Cameron 3–8   T-9th      
2001 Cam Cameron 5–6   T-4th      
2002 Gerry DiNardo 3–9   T-10th      
2003 Gerry DiNardo 2–10   T-9th      
2004 Gerry DiNardo 3–8   T-10th      
2005 Terry Hoeppner 4–7   10th      
2006 Terry Hoeppner 5–7   T-6th      
2007 Bill Lynch 7–6   T-5th L Insight    
2008 Bill Lynch 3–9   11th      
2009 Bill Lynch 4–8   T-10th      
2010 Bill Lynch 5–7   11th

22 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Here was the record prior to and immediately following Coach Heps tenure at IU.  Looks like he was right in line with the others.  the decision to fire Cameron in 2001 was a disaster for the program.  

Disagree.

Gerry DiNardo was a dumpster fire that Hoeppner inherited and improved almost overnight, both in terms of W-L record and competitiveness, similar to what you're seeing at Purdue with Brohm. IU screwed up promoting Billy Lynch after his interim year, the year they went to the bowl game with Hep's players. The IU administration saw a positive result, got complacent, and offered the bare minimum to keep Lynch for his services. Had IU made a Kevin Wilson type hire immediately following Hep's passing who knows what happens.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Interesting that Wilson came to IU from Oklahoma and landed at Ohio State upon his departure.  

Pretty impressive if you ask me.,  

O coordinator at OU....O coordinator at OSU.  It seems like a wash to me.  Impressive sure...as an O coordinator.  Doesn't make him a great head coach and perhaps a major reason why IU's teams were so unbalanced in terms of offense vs. defense.  Research his teams D rankings and stats (scoring) while at IU....both in the Big 10 and D1 overall.

I'm not super negative on Wilson....can't argue with his explosive offenses.....but his defenses were polar opposite.

6 minutes ago, Trojan Dad said:

O coordinator at OU....O coordinator at OSU.  It seems like a wash to me.  Impressive sure...as an O coordinator.  Doesn't make him a great head coach and perhaps a major reason why IU's teams were so unbalanced in terms of offense vs. defense.  Research his teams D rankings and stats (scoring) while at IU....both in the Big 10 and D1 overall.

I'm not super negative on Wilson....can't argue with his explosive offenses.....but his defenses were polar opposite.

No argument there.  Wilson neglected the D and it cost him.  But his laser focus on the offense made IU competitive and put them in the national spotlight.  IUs defense will never be great.  It will top off at "good", because that is the very best you can get with 2 and 3 star players.  

1 minute ago, DrivenT said:

No argument there.  Wilson neglected the D and it cost him.  But his laser focus on the offense made IU competitive and put them in the national spotlight.  IUs defense will never be great.  It will top off at "good", because that is the very best you can get with 2 and 3 star players.  

No doubt his offenses were off the charts....even if he could muster an average D, they would have been a tough out for anyone in the conference and would have absolutely moved up.  Shame that we couldn't see him a few years there with Allen as his D coordinator, as the D improved to good the only year they were together.

Just now, Trojan Dad said:

No doubt his offenses were off the charts....even if he could muster an average D, they would have been a tough out for anyone in the conference and would have absolutely moved up.  Shame that we couldn't see him a few years there with Allen as his D coordinator, as the D improved to good the only year they were together.

I'm not a big Allen guy, but I agree with your premise.  

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Using your own graphic, what about Cameron's records make his firing a disaster? Especially, having said that you don't see all of the hype of Coach Hep?

3 minutes ago, coachfields said:

Using your own graphic, what about Cameron's records make his firing a disaster? Especially, having said that you don't see all of the hype of Coach Hep?

Cameron's last season, he was 5-6 and IU finished 4th in the Big Ten.  The IU people got greedy and wanted more.  They made a mistake.  Cameron has flourished since, making millions in the NFL.  

I wasn't a fan yet when Cameron was around so I didn't know what the vibe was. I thought there were good vibes with Hep and with Wilson. 

How would you compare the last year and exit of Cameron to the last year and exit of Wilson? 

49 minutes ago, coachfields said:

I wasn't a fan yet when Cameron was around so I didn't know what the vibe was. I thought there were good vibes with Hep and with Wilson. 

How would you compare the last year and exit of Cameron to the last year and exit of Wilson? 

Cameron was much like Wilson, electric offense (option) but pitiful defense. Cameron's exit came with Randle El's exit. Randle El was a stud from day 1 and when Randle El came and went with still no bowl IU pulled the plug.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Cameron was much like Wilson, electric offense (option) but pitiful defense. Cameron's exit came with Randle El's exit. Randle El was a stud from day 1 and when Randle El came and went with still no bowl IU pulled the plug.

Remember the football helmets of the Cameron era??  

Randle El.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:41 PM, Footballking16 said:

I always heard that Cameron's hiring had a lot to do with Bobby Knight's influence.  Don't know if there's any truth to that since Brand was the A.D. then and had no fondness for Knight.  We had a head coach at my old high school (in Ohio in the 70's) that had the philosophy that if you score 30, then we will score 31.  The team went 9 - 1 that year.  Out of a 2 hour practice he would spend about an hour and 45 minutes with the offense and only about 15 minutes with the defense.  The next year they went 6 - 4 and after that season he left the school. 

3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I always heard that Cameron's hiring had a lot to do with Bobby Knight's influence.  Don't know if there's any truth to that since Brand was the A.D. then and had no fondness for Knight.  We had a head coach at my old high school (in Ohio in the 70's) that had the philosophy that if you score 30, then we will score 31.  The team went 9 - 1 that year.  Out of a 2 hour practice he would spend about an hour and 45 minutes with the offense and only about 15 minutes with the defense.  The next year they went 6 - 4 and after that season he left the school. 

I thought that Knight said in one of his books that he was upset with them firing Mallory. I can't remember for sure though.

Yet another in a LONG line of being close, but not being able to finish. I do feel though that IU had some bad calls late in the game. The pass interference on Fant on the TD drive for MSU was a horrible call. IU's following possession, we saw a DB making far more contact on a pass, but no call. The MSU line holding at least one guy every play on the TD drive, yet no calls. I said this several years ago when IU got screwed at Iowa..........there seems to be a mindset of conference suits that it should be extremely difficult for unranked conference teams to upset the ranked teams; inflating the image of the toughness of the conference. As a fan of one of the unranked teams, it is getting old.

18 hours ago, Irishman said:

Yet another in a LONG line of being close, but not being able to finish. I do feel though that IU had some bad calls late in the game. The pass interference on Fant on the TD drive for MSU was a horrible call. IU's following possession, we saw a DB making far more contact on a pass, but no call. The MSU line holding at least one guy every play on the TD drive, yet no calls. I said this several years ago when IU got screwed at Iowa..........there seems to be a mindset of conference suits that it should be extremely difficult for unranked conference teams to upset the ranked teams; inflating the image of the toughness of the conference. As a fan of one of the unranked teams, it is getting old.

I go along with your frustration. Indiana has been snake bit, for several years, with calls or no calls, that have determined games. Hell, even in the Mallory years, Indiana would get shafted on these judgement calls. Playing wise, Indiana is just as good as Both Michigan Teams. Just a shame Hoosiers don't get a break.

19 hours ago, Irishman said:

46 minutes ago, southend said:

I go along with your frustration. Indiana has been snake bit, for several years, with calls or no calls, that have determined games. Hell, even in the Mallory years, Indiana would get shafted on these judgement calls. Playing wise, Indiana is just as good as Both Michigan Teams. Just a shame Hoosiers don't get a break.

Typical losers’ lament. Judgment calls even up over time. Winners are good enough to overcome the ones that go against them, and take advantage of the ones that go their way. Losers don’t. It’s the same at every level of football.

10 minutes ago, bobref said:

Typical losers’ lament. Judgment calls even up over time. Winners are good enough to overcome the ones that go against them, and take advantage of the ones that go their way. Losers don’t. It’s the same at every level of football.

Keep in mind, we are talking about the conference getting millions of dollars from ranked teams going to higher profile bowl games. If MSU loses this game, it is one less ranked conference team. Hard to say calls always balance out when a pass interference call on 3rd down keeps a drive alive, and when a defender is a ste[p or less away from a huge sack and gets an armbar across his throat on a takedown that eliminates the chance at it.

14 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Keep in mind, we are talking about the conference getting millions of dollars from ranked teams going to higher profile bowl games. If MSU loses this game, it is one less ranked conference team. Hard to say calls always balance out when a pass interference call on 3rd down keeps a drive alive, and when a defender is a ste[p or less away from a huge sack and gets an armbar across his throat on a takedown that eliminates the chance at it.

So you’re basically saying there is a conspiracy that includes game officials, and is designed to favor the conference teams that have a chance to go to higher and more lucrative Bowl games? Did you stop taking your medication again?:14_v:

2 hours ago, bobref said:

While I agree IU got hosed in this game, IU controlled its own destiny throughout and its why they lost. For the life of me I have no idea why IU kicked a FG up 3 on the 2 yard line. This is the primary principle difference between Allen and Wilson. Wilson was a riverboat gambler who at least would go down swinging while Allen and Debored both seem to have the "play not to lose" mentality. IU had a chance to go up two scores early in the 4th and flat out got conservative. I knew we were going to lose the second we kicked it on 4th down. Completely inexcusable.