• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
Sign in to follow this  
Irishman

2017 Playoffs

13 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I've seen a couple of the Falcons games this season (and the playoffs) mostly due to see how Coleman would do since I watched him at IU.  I thought they would be a tough out in the playoffs.  The defense IS fast and seem to be very good at tackling.  Their offense speaks for itself.  I would hope that Matt Ryan is in the running for MVP.  He's had an impressive season and playoffs.  I am thinking this will be a very good Super Bowl.  I hate to admit it, but I expect the Patriots to be ready.  Hopefully the Falcons are as well.  And who the hell is Hogan?  Never heard of him.  LOL  Didn't even know he was an NFL player until the AFC championship game. 

Lol he had a decent season, averaged almost 18 yards per catch and had 4 TD's, Obviously was kind of used as the deep threat in the offense. But yeah, I don't think anybody could have predicted a former walk on Lacrosse player would match Julio Jones' stat line in the conference championship game lol

Since we are on the topic of the big game, let me just be the first to throw this out here...

I would not be surprised if we see Tom Brady retire IF the Patriots win this one. I know he has talked about wanting to play into his 40's (and I think he is more than capable of doing so) but with all of the emotion being shown after the AFC title game and some of his responses in media coverage this week it wouldn't shock me if he hung them up after winning number 5.

On 2/1/2017 at 6:59 AM, FishDuck said:

Since we are on the topic of the big game, let me just be the first to throw this out here...

I would not be surprised if we see Tom Brady retire IF the Patriots win this one. I know he has talked about wanting to play into his 40's (and I think he is more than capable of doing so) but with all of the emotion being shown after the AFC title game and some of his responses in media coverage this week it wouldn't shock me if he hung them up after winning number 5.

Ian Rapaport is reporting that the Patriots and Brady are working on extension.

GB 

Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the NBA Finals. The Indians blew a 3-1 lead in the World Series. The Atlanta Falcons blew a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl. It has been crazy the last year in sports. Congratulations to the Patriots.

GB 

You are all eyewitnesses to the unsurpassed greatness that is Tom Brady.

• Upvote 1

After Julio Jones makes that catch at the 22, why didn't Atlanta just run the ball 3 straight times?  Requiring the Patriots to burn timeouts to stop the clock, or else get the ball back trailing by 11 (assuming the Falcons make the FG) with just a few minutes left.  Questionable play calling.

• Upvote 1

Well, I still don't really know what to say about that game LOL

At halftime I wasn't too worried about the deficit only because 2 of Atlanta's scores resulted from turnovers, which is very rare for the Patriots so I was convinced we would be able to drive the ball and score in the 2nd half. By the time New England scored their first TD late in the 3rd (and missed the PAT) I had given up hope of a win and was just hoping we could get it to a respectable score LOL

I know a lot of the talk will be that Atlanta gave it away with bad play calling, but they didn't turn the ball over. They didn't seal the game, but they didn't necessarily just hand it over either and forced Brady to have to drive the length of the field several times. Fortunately though, you can never count out Thomas Brady and the Patriots, and they made every play they needed to make. Edelman makes one of the greatest/luckiest/David Tyree-esque catches you'll ever see after Julio Jones makes one of the best sideline catches I've ever seen, and then the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history was finished.

I'm not sure how anyone can argue that this Patriot dynasty of the last 15 years is the best ever, nor how you can argue that Brady and Belichick are the best ever. I'm not sure what the final number was on how many times Brady got hit last night, but he was getting drilled in the first half and for him to hang in there and play his best ball late in the game...at age 39...I don't know what else a human being can do at the QB position. Everybody knew the passes were coming in the 4th, but they still couldn't stop him. G O A T

And then, after all that happened and all the praise that Belichick and Brady were getting in the postgame interviews did anybody ever hear them say the words "I" or "Me"? All I heard was "We" and "The Team", just goes to show how much the culture of that organization helps them win and stick together. So many life lessons have been provided by this Patriots group in the last 15 years lol

Let's Goooooooo!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bobref said:

You are all eyewitnesses to the unsurpassed greatness that is Tom Brady.

Along with that, the greatest coach of all time. Even as a Packers fan, I am saying that. I am not sure that Lombardi had the ability to sustain what he was able to for another 5 or 6 years, just from a mental standpoint. There is a lot of credit to go around for the organization. Atlanta is the 12th team in the last 16 years to come from the AFC. Whereas, there have only been 7, if my count is right, in the last 20 from the AFC. Being able to put together a roster with the number of injuries that is still a top tier competitor is impressive. Even more impressive may be there ability to find the role players, the names that people do not know so well.

On a side note, congrats to Ted Karras III OT and Cathedral HS grad,  and DuJuan Daniels in the scouting department, previously from Bishop Chatard HS and former Mr. Football in Indiana.

4 hours ago, meabull said:

After Julio Jones makes that catch at the 22, why didn't Atlanta just run the ball 3 straight times?  Requiring the Patriots to burn timeouts to stop the clock, or else get the ball back trailing by 11 (assuming the Falcons make the FG) with just a few minutes left.  Questionable play calling.

Same reason why Seattle threw the ball at the 1 yard line a few years ago.  When Bill Belichek and Tom Brady are across the field it makes you do irrational things coaching against them.  Adds to their greatness.   Their mere presence caused that.  

Love watching history unfold.  If you take off the blinders and meatheadness (I am certainly guilty over the years) you can truly see how great of a run its been by those 2 in particular!! 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, meabull said:

The Patriots had stuffed the run the whole 2nd half. Atlanta tried to run it on first down and lost a yard. Their first half rushing success was due to Freeman's ability to cut it back when the Patriots were over-pursuing; the Patriots took away the cut back in the 2nd half and the Falcons had like 18 yards on 9 carries. My guess is that they knew the run was going to be tough sledding at that point and decided to be the aggressor, play to win instead of playing not to lose. Always easy to second guess after the fact, but I can understand both sides.

I bet Freeman wishes he wouldn't have had his head turned around on that strip sack play, but that is what the best teams do, they take advantage of even the little miscues.

GB 

19 minutes ago, FishDuck said:

The Patriots had stuffed the run the whole 2nd half. Atlanta tried to run it on first down and lost a yard. Their first half rushing success was due to Freeman's ability to cut it back when the Patriots were over-pursuing; the Patriots took away the cut back in the 2nd half and the Falcons had like 18 yards on 9 carries. My guess is that they knew the run was going to be tough sledding at that point and decided to be the aggressor, play to win instead of playing not to lose. Always easy to second guess after the fact, but I can understand both sides.

Even so....  I would take my shot at the 22 yard line, run 3 times, even if you lose 3 yards, you are the flipping 25 yard line and its a Professional kicker.  That is worse case if you rn the ball 3 times, without fumbling, best case you may gain a few yards, maybe get them to use more time outs and now the FG is like 37-43 some yards to go back up 2 possessions with under 5 to go.   Game scenario 101 imo.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Even so....  I would take my shot at the 22 yard line, run 3 times, even if you lose 3 yards, you are the flipping 25 yard line and its a Professional kicker.  That is worse case if you rn the ball 3 times, without fumbling, best case you may gain a few yards, maybe get them to use more time outs and now the FG is like 37-43 some yards to go back up 2 possessions with under 5 to go.   Game scenario 101 imo.  

I certainly don't disagree with you, I probably would have done the same thing. I will say also though, Matt Ryan can't hold on to the ball long enough to get sacked on 2nd down. If you are going to call a pass it better be something quick, or you have to make sure the QB knows to get rid of it in less than 3 seconds. He held it and then tried to escape Flowers, should have chucked it away as soon as he saw any pressure whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

One thing that isn't getting discussed in the media from the game is the Patriots' ability to convert twice on 2 pt conversion plays. You have to wonder how many times they practiced these plays this season after losing in Denver on a failed 2 pt try last year in the playoffs and then losing against Seattle this year on the same essential scenario, with the ball inside the 5 late with a chance to win.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, FishDuck said:

One thing that isn't getting discussed in the media from the game is the Patriots' ability to convert twice on 2 pt conversion plays. You have to wonder how many times they practiced these plays this season after losing in Denver on a failed 2 pt try last year in the playoffs and then losing against Seattle this year on the same essential scenario, with the ball inside the 5 late with a chance to win.

To be honest, I am surprised we do not see them attempted more often. With the freedom given to skill players on both sides, rub/pick routes are common. In my mind, it is an easy 2 points most of the time.

44 minutes ago, Irishman said:

To be honest, I am surprised we do not see them attempted more often. With the freedom given to skill players on both sides, rub/pick routes are common. In my mind, it is an easy 2 points most of the time.

Not to mention extra points are no sure thing anymore.

GB 

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

When Bill Belichek and Tom Brady are across the field it makes you do irrational things coaching against them.  

I am not sure if I know exactly what you mean...

download.jpg.5492cb8a2340e6a480256f9716bb9d75.jpg

GB 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, GB4 said:

GB 

Just choppin' that wood!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

The conversion rate in the regular season was around 48% this year, with 3 teams not attempting any during the season. I would think it would be easier to convert earlier in the game when the defense isn't expecting you to attempt it and not thinking about it ahead of time, but to go 2-2 in must have situation like last night is pretty rare I would think.

5 hours ago, FishDuck said:

My reaction as soon as Jones made the catch was that the Falcons had to run the ball the next three plays.  They didn't need any more yards as they were well within field goal range.   To not do so was stupid on Shanahan's and Quinn's part.   Run the ball, run the clock and make the Patriots burn time outs.  It seemed so obvious at the time.  I don't understand your remark about "play to win instead of playing not to lose".  If they run the ball 3 times and then kick the FG then they are up by 11.  Isn't this playing to win? 

4 hours ago, FishDuck said:

I certainly don't disagree with you, I probably would have done the same thing. I will say also though, Matt Ryan can't hold on to the ball long enough to get sacked on 2nd down. If you are going to call a pass it better be something quick, or you have to make sure the QB knows to get rid of it in less than 3 seconds. He held it and then tried to escape Flowers, should have chucked it away as soon as he saw any pressure whatsoever.

I agree there with you.   Ryan should have gotten rid of the ball.  

A crazy stat I came across in post game coverage: The Falcons only ran the ball 5 times after going up 28-3.

GB 

14 hours ago, meabull said:

My reaction as soon as Jones made the catch was that the Falcons had to run the ball the next three plays.  They didn't need any more yards as they were well within field goal range.   To not do so was stupid on Shanahan's and Quinn's part.   Run the ball, run the clock and make the Patriots burn time outs.  It seemed so obvious at the time.  I don't understand your remark about "play to win instead of playing not to lose".  If they run the ball 3 times and then kick the FG then they are up by 11.  Isn't this playing to win? 

I agree there with you.   Ryan should have gotten rid of the ball.  

That is the cliché you always hear when teams stop doing what is working for them and change their game plan. Their success in the 2nd half had come from throwing the ball, so what I meant was they were going to keep rolling with what was working for them. Definitely not saying I agree with it, but let's say they ran the ball 3 times in a row and then missed the FG. What would everyone be saying now? My guess is they would say something about how they went away from the pass that had just gotten them down the field in no time at all. It's a lose-lose situation when you leave the door open for TB12, which they certainly did lol

19 hours ago, GB4 said:

GB 

BINGO!!!!!   

• Upvote 1

This is just classic NFL guys overthinking the game. 

After the Jones catch the Falcons could've taken 3 knees and kicked the FG.  

Let's play out each scenario that could've unfolded.  

1) NE doesn't use any timeouts, Falcons kick the FG and it's good.  That leaves an 11 point difference with about 2:45 on the clock and NE getting the ball with 2 TO's and the 2 min warning.   

2) NE uses timeouts FG is good.  That leaves an 11 point difference with about 4:00 on clock NE getting the ball with 0 TO's and the 2 min warning. 

3) NE doesn't use timeouts FG is no good.  That leaves an 8 point difference.  about 2:45 on clock 2 NE timeouts plus 2 minute warning, and the ball on 34 yard line.

4) NE uses timeouts FG is no good.  Leaving 8 point difference about 4:00 on clock NE no timeouts 2 minute warning, ball on 34.

5) FG blocked returned for TD

6) FB blocked pats ball midfield.

7) throw twice stopping clock giving ball back to Pats with 345, 2 timeouts and 2 min warning needing to drive length of field.  

While kicking the FG and using clock doesn't guarantee the win, it puts the Pats in the worst possible position to win more often, so that should be the path chosen.  IMO