• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
Sign in to follow this  
Irishman

2017 Playoffs

Recommended Posts

No big surprises, but some great individual plays. I am looking forward more to the games this coming week than I was this past weekend. I was pretty much expecting the results I saw this weekend as far as who would win, I just did not expect some of the scores. I really thought Green Bay was in trouble last night. Had the Boat Crew receivers caught even half the passes they dropped, I think the Giants could have won that game. They could have been up 14 real quick, and that changes the game plan and the mindset of the team that gets down that quick. That said, the last game I saw at Lambeau, the Packers were down to the Seahawks 14-0 just 10 minutes in the game, and the Packers came back to beat them soundly for Favre's last win as a Packer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The results were about what expected but the quality of the games were quite poor. Even the game that was somewhat decent ended up as a blowout the second half. Sadly, a report came out that Goddell still wants to expand the playoffs. If those games are anything like this weekend I hope they don't. 

Next week's games look a bit more competitive (I hope) but I also thought at least two of the games this week would be.

GB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think next week's games will be outstanding. Pittsburgh-KC might be the best game of the whole postseason, with a close second coming from the Dallas-Green Bay game. I also think the Atlanta-Seattle game will be a good one and I think Houston will hang closer to New England than most would expect. Should be a good weekend of games!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston's Defense, even though it was first in the league, has not gotten a lot of attention. It seems that the combination of how bad Osweiler has been and the fact that the division they play in is so bad have overshadowed just how good this defense is; even without JJ Watt. I would be surprised if there were any blowouts. If they are, I do think Seattle is the most susceptible to being blown out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not having Earl Thomas at S for the Seahawks finally got them killed by league MVP Matt Ryan. Falcons win 36-20.

The Texans D did exactly what it need to do to keep them in the game, unfortunately they got Osweilered. Patriots win 34-16. How bad is it that the Colts lost to a team QB'd by Osweiler TWICE?

GB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that the JV games are over, the big boys play today.  :) I think the Super Bowl teams come from today's games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Now that the JV games are over, the big boys play today.  :) I think the Super Bowl teams come from today's games.

Bet against the Patriots at your own risk.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These Packers look pretty lethal. If they win this game it should be fun in Atlanta next week.

GB 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a fantastic game. It almost made up for the 6 terrible games beforehand.

GB 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another classic in the Cowboys vs. Packers playoff rivalry, dating back to 1967. Last second plays, great plays made by great players, and some big hits. this is one people will talk about for years.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After that last game, this one is such a Dude.

GB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2017 at 0:26 PM, Irishman said:

Now that the JV games are over, the big boys play today.  :) I think the Super Bowl teams come from today's games.

So much for THAT prediction. :10::22::44:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope the NFL reconsiders wanting to expand the playoffs. 8 out of the 10 so far have been blow outs and one of the close games wasn't that good of a game.

GB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's actually going to happen. Just visualize with me. Two weeks from now, the Commish will have that phony grin pasted on his face as he hands the Lombardi Trophy to Robert Kraft ... and then turns to present the Super Bowl MVP Trophy to Brady. Karma is, indeed, a b!tch. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be the second time he would have hand it to them for the same situation lol. Personally, I picked the Falcons awhile ago and I will stick with it.

GB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:25 PM, GB4 said:

It would be the second time he would have hand it to them for the same situation lol. Personally, I picked the Falcons awhile ago and I will stick with it.

GB 

I'm leaning towards the Falcons.  I like Matt Ryan's style and their defense is good enough to stop other offenses.  Just ask the Packers.  Win or lose in the Super Bowl, hopefully Ryan is selected as MVP this year.  Rookie of the Year should be Elliot from Dallas.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I'm leaning towards the Falcons.  I like Matt Ryan's style and their defense is good enough to stop other offenses.  Just ask the Packers.  Win or lose in the Super Bowl, hopefully Ryan is selected as MVP this year.  Rookie of the Year should be Elliot from Dallas.

I'll tell you the same thing I told Irishman when he picked the Steelers: you bet against the Patriots at your peril. Belichek with two weeks to prepare, Brady against the league's 25th ranked pass defense ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bobref said:

I'll tell you the same thing I told Irishman when he picked the Steelers: you bet against the Patriots at your peril. Belichek with two weeks to prepare, Brady against the league's 25th ranked pass defense ... 

Agree. Have to give him time to throw though. Defensively, Julio Jones doesn't scare me as much as Coleman and Freeman out of the backfield getting matched up on a LB all night. Belichick will have a game plan to slow down Julio just like he did for Brown last week. If Brady has time to throw this could be a very high scoring game; if not the Patriots will be in trouble because that Atlanta defense is FAST and will hit the heck out of receivers on hot routes.

Should be a great game, go Patriots!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:30 PM, bobref said:

I'll tell you the same thing I told Irishman when he picked the Steelers: you bet against the Patriots at your peril. Belichek with two weeks to prepare, Brady against the league's 25th ranked pass defense ... 

The Patriots aren't invincible.  They've been beaten before.  In spite of what you say (make that "tell" me), I'll still root for the Falcons.  At least the Falcon defense can play man to man coverage and won't play zone for the entire game like Pittsburgh did.  It was a sad thing to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

The Patriots aren't invincible.  They've been beaten before.  In spite of what you say (make that "tell" me), I'll still root for the Falcons.  At least the Falcon defense can play man to man coverage and won't play zone for the entire game like Pittsburgh did.  It was a sad thing to watch.

And I didn't say the Patriots were going to win, either. But betting against them is a good way to go broke. Now, rooting, that's a completely different thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

The Patriots aren't invincible.  They've been beaten before.  In spite of what you say (make that "tell" me), I'll still root for the Falcons.  At least the Falcon defense can play man to man coverage and won't play zone for the entire game like Pittsburgh did.  It was a sad thing to watch.

Pittsburgh tried going man to man early in the 2nd half and Hogan burnt the guy on him for about 30 yards. I couldn't figure out why they stayed in zone either, until I saw how bad they were at playing man LOL

The Falcons are a fun team to watch and would be a good alternative to the Patriot hate. Team was put together by Belichick disciples in Dimitroff and Pioli, so no surprise they have found success and are a high character group. And man, that defense is FAST...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FishDuck said:

Pittsburgh tried going man to man early in the 2nd half and Hogan burnt the guy on him for about 30 yards. I couldn't figure out why they stayed in zone either, until I saw how bad they were at playing man LOL

The Falcons are a fun team to watch and would be a good alternative to the Patriot hate. Team was put together by Belichick disciples in Dimitroff and Pioli, so no surprise they have found success and are a high character group. And man, that defense is FAST...

I would not be at all surprised if Belichek came out and tried to punch the Falcons in the mouth with Blount and Lewis, to set up play action to neutralize the speed of those DBs. Atlanta will most likely start out in a dime package. Look for the Patriots to counter with 2 tight ends and play some smash mouth, using the hurry-up to keep the Falcons from substituting out of the dime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bobref said:

I would not be at all surprised if Belichek came out and tried to punch the Falcons in the mouth with Blount and Lewis, to set up play action to neutralize the speed of those DBs. Atlanta will most likely start out in a dime package. Look for the Patriots to counter with 2 tight ends and play some smash mouth, using the hurry-up to keep the Falcons from substituting out of the dime.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Try to neutralize the speed of the defense and their pass rush. Also helps to keep the ball away from the Matt Ryan & Co.

But, at the same time, I'm never disappointed when they spread the field in empty or 10 personnel and throw it around the yard. Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell, Floyd, Bennett, Lewis, White...somebody in that group should be able to win a 1 on 1 matchup and Brady will find them if he has protection up the middle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FishDuck said:

Pittsburgh tried going man to man early in the 2nd half and Hogan burnt the guy on him for about 30 yards. I couldn't figure out why they stayed in zone either, until I saw how bad they were at playing man LOL

The Falcons are a fun team to watch and would be a good alternative to the Patriot hate. Team was put together by Belichick disciples in Dimitroff and Pioli, so no surprise they have found success and are a high character group. And man, that defense is FAST...

I've seen a couple of the Falcons games this season (and the playoffs) mostly due to see how Coleman would do since I watched him at IU.  I thought they would be a tough out in the playoffs.  The defense IS fast and seem to be very good at tackling.  Their offense speaks for itself.  I would hope that Matt Ryan is in the running for MVP.  He's had an impressive season and playoffs.  I am thinking this will be a very good Super Bowl.  I hate to admit it, but I expect the Patriots to be ready.  Hopefully the Falcons are as well.  And who the hell is Hogan?  Never heard of him.  LOL  Didn't even know he was an NFL player until the AFC championship game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.