• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/22/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  Tell City:  Josh Teague  Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly  Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired   

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eschnur66

SG Helmets ... Thoughts ... Feedback ... Reviews?

From my understanding, when they are reconditioned, they do NOT return with a NOCSAE approved sticker.

My nephew in Brownsburg swears by his.  He's had it for a few years and loves it.  It is so light that it feels like a toy.

18 hours ago, Major Reisman said:

From my understanding, when they are reconditioned, they do NOT return with a NOCSAE approved sticker.

Whats the reasoning behind this?

45 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

Whats the reasoning behind this?

First let me say that the helmet, when new is NOCSAE approved.

My understanding is that Bill Simpson, the manufacturer of the helmet, will not allow the helmets to be put through all of the test that NOCSAE requires to be reconditioned.  I have also heard that these helmets don't pass some of the tests and that is why Simpson wont allow them to be tested.  But, Simpson does his own testing, and puts their own sticker in the helmet to say that they have been reconditioned.  

But, from my knowledge, when a referee asks a coach if "all of his players are properly equipped" before the game and the coach says "yes" and his team has helmets that are not NOCSAE stickered, then that is a violation.

My concern would be, who holds the liability of a injured player wearing one of these helmets that does not have NOCSAE approval: school, coach, referee, S/G? 

The lighter the helmet, the more head movement on impact (transfer of momentum from heavier object to lighter).  It sounds good on paper, but it is at least one man's opinion that concussions are possibly easier to come by.  This is the best example I can think of...

3 hours ago, Major Reisman said:

But, from my knowledge, when a referee asks a coach if "all of his players are properly equipped" before the game and the coach says "yes" and his team has helmets that are not NOCSAE stickered, then that is a violation.

My concern would be, who holds the liability of a injured player wearing one of these helmets that does not have NOCSAE approval: school, coach, referee, S/G? 

There are limits as to what officials can do, checking possibly 200 helps could push that envelope. I would say ultimately this falls on the school and coach. But when the lawsuit comes, I'm sure our crew will be included. I have multiple insurance policies for such events. Perhaps @bobref could weigh in.

18 hours ago, Von2Rov said:

The lighter the helmet, the more head movement on impact (transfer of momentum from heavier object to lighter).  It sounds good on paper, but it is at least one man's opinion that concussions are possibly easier to come by.  This is the best example I can think of...

I believe in Simpson's case, where they're coming from a different sport. In racing, weight is key in eliminating G-Force in cornering and stressing the neck. 

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:19 PM, Major Reisman said:

First let me say that the helmet, when new is NOCSAE approved.

My understanding is that Bill Simpson, the manufacturer of the helmet, will not allow the helmets to be put through all of the test that NOCSAE requires to be reconditioned.  I have also heard that these helmets don't pass some of the tests and that is why Simpson wont allow them to be tested.  But, Simpson does his own testing, and puts their own sticker in the helmet to say that they have been reconditioned.  

By book rule, it would be the Athletic Director and Head Coach. Book says helmets must be NOCSAE approved!

On 1/13/2017 at 3:06 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

There are limits as to what officials can do, checking possibly 200 helps could push that envelope. I would say ultimately this falls on the school and coach. But when the lawsuit comes, I'm sure our crew will be included. I have multiple insurance policies for such events. Perhaps @bobref could weigh in.

IMO, the officials' liability ends when the coach certifies that his players are legally equipped unless someone were to bring the lack of NOCSAE certification to the officials' attention, or it would otherwise become apparent to the official. The "standard of care" for officials does not include pregame inspection of helmets. Additionally, someone attempting to prosecute a personal injury claim based on the lack of a NOCSAE certification for a reconditioned helmet faces a formidable task of proving that it was the failure to meet NOCSAE standards that caused the injury: a formidable task. Bottom line is the risk to officials of being found liable if someone is injured playing with a reconditioned helmet that does not have a NOCSAE sticker on it, while not zero, is about as close to it as you can get.

However, that's not to say that officials would be left out of such a lawsuit. All it takes to file a lawsuit is to come up with the nominal filing fee. People get sued when they're not liable all the time. That's why every official should carry liability insurance. Not to indemnify them from liability so much as to pay the costs of defending them in a non-meritorious lawsuit.

4 minutes ago, nohuddlenoproblem said:

From the horse's mouth (Simpson), the helmets are being discontinued.  Too much money spent and not enough in return. 

My understanding is they are discontinuing the current design and releasing a new one in March. It is supposed to be more appealing aesthetically, which was the biggest reason given by schools for not wanting to try it.

3 hours ago, CoachMiller said:

My understanding is they are discontinuing the current design and releasing a new one in March. It is supposed to be more appealing aesthetically, which was the biggest reason given by schools for not wanting to try it.

WHAT? Schools are buying helmets to protect young skulls for of mush based on aesthetics? This makes pants that don't cover the knee seem really insignificant.