• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/17/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted  Anderson Prep Academy: Jeffrey Dorman Randy Albano Hired Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant Brian Hooker Hired Cloverdale: Tony Meyer Tom Winder Promoted Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones  Tony Slocum Promoted  

Thoughts on Western offense - QB runs the ball 40 times per game, often into the mouth of the defense. At some point does this become too much to ask of a hs kid who will most likely be a div 1 baseball guy if he doesn't get broken down in football? Granted, he's a tough kid and physically can hold his own. I just can't imagine asking a hs kid to do this week in and week out without being concerned about the physical toll it is taking on his body. This is not a slam on the Western staff by any means. They physically kicked our butts - we knew Knep was running the ball right at us and not a thing we could do about it. Has anyone else seen an offense where 1 player is featured so heavily, getting 40+ touches per game?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, gapdownbacker said:

Thoughts on Western offense - QB runs the ball 40 times per game, often into the mouth of the defense. At some point does this become too much to ask of a hs kid who will most likely be a div 1 baseball guy if he doesn't get broken down in football? Granted, he's a tough kid and physically can hold his own. I just can't imagine asking a hs kid to do this week in and week out without being concerned about the physical toll it is taking on his body. This is not a slam on the Western staff by any means. They physically kicked our butts - we knew Knep was running the ball right at us and not a thing we could do about it. Has anyone else seen an offense where 1 player is featured so heavily, getting 40+ touches per game?

Elwood used to do it every year with Mireles, Ozenbaugh, Dunnichay etc. Completely agree though, they need to get other guys involved. 

18 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

B_LLW_ NKL_

YOU will probably have to buy 3 vowels to figure out this puzzle.... ; )

Can Tipton score? What kind of question is that ?  more like can Westside keep up with Tipton....Im thinking 49-47 or close to that unless it rains... then Tipton doesn't stand a chance.  ;;)

Can WL keep up with Tipton? You are jesting? I too think points will be hard to come by for Tipton. Tipton having a great year but WL...they are pretty good. Appear very physical this year, big athletic players, and very disciplined. They seemed to have found themselves another level after their loss to Crete. Bet they would like that one back. This one looks to be a 49-14 type of game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, InTheTrench said:

I would love to see that punt again.

Yeah, that one.

Pretty wild play.

It hit our gunner's heel.  He even deeked me and played it off real cool like not to bring attention to it.   Issue was that the guy who I questioned didn't throw a bean bag on either punt "fumbles'  The 1st one I thought was a miscall as the ground caused it when his elbow it, but supposedly a bean bag was thrown.  Either way, got to PLAY WAY BETTER anyways which we did not but we did what we had to to finish the game and get the victory when not playing our best football.   

AGAIN:  KUDDOS to LCC and their peeps.  That field was IMMACULATE  

3 hours ago, krunyan said:

it's not just #88 either. The 3-3 is not the easiest to go against in HS when the team running it is ALSO big and athletic. It makes the angles on blocks even harder to get to. Roudebush has been good about getting the ball out quickly but will be interesting to see what the plan is for #88. 

Coach Nowlin, I've seen plenty of that offense the last 2 weeks(Western MS/your MS). I'm really glad to see something different this week lol!  Your 8th graders were really disciplined and really hard to defend. Was impressed with them. 

:17_v:

Thanks 8th grade team finished undefeated, I think they also were undefeated last year as 7th graders.  They have a chance to do good things in H.S. but need to continue to commit to weight room and get a FULL UNDERSTANDING that their middle school schedule, has gotten better, but its not a "Hoosier Conference" schedule and they should be very proud of their accomplishments on a great year, but plenty more work to be had!!!  

You are so correct on WL defense, I think #45 Kidwell and #87 Stanton have had UNBELIEVABLE years!!!   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gapdownbacker said:

There have been countless teams like this. Back in 2000 Brandon Jones and Otis Shannon were the dudes running a muck on everyone. I've heard tales of Brett Law. TBH if you look at the leader board for rushing yards all of those guys had insane amounts of touches every game. Great players make great plays, but only when they are given the opportunity to do so. There was a guy from Plymouth in the 70s that was nearly identical to what you're talking about. They were in a single wing and ran 39 of 40 plays to the right. He played at ND I think.

http://www.ihsaa.org/Sports/Boys/Football/AllTimeStatisticalLeaders/tabid/186/Default.aspx#2238920-top-25-career-rushing

19 hours ago, B52 said:

Can WL keep up with Tipton? You are jesting? I too think points will be hard to come by for Tipton. Tipton having a great year but WL...they are pretty good. Appear very physical this year, big athletic players, and very disciplined. They seemed to have found themselves another level after their loss to Crete. Bet they would like that one back. This one looks to be a 49-14 type of game.

I see what you did there....getting all logical on me

now back to my bubblewrap...

@Coach Nowlin I actually meant the punt that got returned for TD!

18 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

AGAIN:  KUDDOS to LCC and their peeps.  That field was IMMACULATE  

My first time visiting LaRocca Field - what a beautiful facility!

The gentleman doing announcing was great as well!

My Mom thought the Prayer was nice at the beginning too, I imagine all home LCC contests start with that?

• Upvote 2

yes, all home football contests start that same way, with the opening Prayer and anthem.  

Yea that whole drive I am trying to forget!!  YIKES.    

37 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

yes, all home football contests start that same way, with the opening Prayer and anthem.  

Thats awesome.  Glad they can do it.

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

5 hours ago, InTheTrench said:

@Coach Nowlin I actually meant the punt that got returned for TD!

My first time visiting LaRocca Field - what a beautiful facility!

The gentleman doing announcing was great as well!

My Mom thought the Prayer was nice at the beginning too, I imagine all home LCC contests start with that?

During the tourney, I don't recall if the prayer is omitted.  I believe that it may be.  All other times, the prayer is done ... sometimes rotates among local priests in attendance and sometimes offered by laymen.  Anthem varies as to the offering ... sometimes the band live, sometimes a tape, and sometimes live a capella.

I don't know if Don Windler does the JV games too, but he does a good job with the varsity announcements.  

As for the DeFouw Complex, which houses LaRocca, did you get a chance to check out Leming Field ... the baseball diamond?  Great locations for 1A sports ... and beyond.

I stand corrected, Carlos Velaquez is the JV announcer. 

Prayer is omitted during the tourney in recent years at the request of the IHSAA.

I think LCC's bermuda is better than field turf. 

Edited by LCCAlum

12 minutes ago, LCCAlum said:

Remember when it got burnt out... That was a hilarious conversation pre-game. I can't remember why it happened, fungus maybe, but it ended with it will be awesome once this new seed germinates. Agreed.

1 hour ago, CoachDale said:

Remember when it got burnt out... That was a hilarious conversation pre-game. I can't remember why it happened, fungus maybe, but it ended with it will be awesome once this new seed germinates. Agreed.

Did they miss their sprinkler timer lesson?

9 hours ago, LCCAlum said:

I stand corrected, Carlos Velaquez is the JV announcer. 

Prayer is omitted during the tourney in recent years at the request of the IHSAA.

It's a lot of fun to play on.  Future Knights will get a chance to experience it two weekends in a row for the next two weeks.  They got a chance to play on it a couple of weeks ago under the lights.  It had different feel than the previous night games ... a good feeling ... something about the lights on that lighter grass.

Good Luck to all Crossover games tomorrow.   Wish all good health and once Week 10 hits lets go HOOSIER CONFERENCE!!!

Congrats WL, they are as good as advertised. Thought the Tipton defense was outstanding in the first half. It was 10-0 with 2 min to go in the first half. Touloukian breaks a long one before half. 17-0. Every time Tipton drove in WL territory, WL would create a sack or negative play. Second half, a fumble call went against us and the route was on. WL might have the best defense I've seen Tipton ever play against. I'd be shocked if they aren't playing Thanksgiving weekend. Good news for my Blue Devils is that there were no further injuries and most of the guys out should be ready to go for the tournament run.

24 minutes ago, Fballfan15 said:

Congrats WL, they are as good as advertised. Thought the Tipton defense was outstanding in the first half. It was 10-0 with 2 min to go in the first half. Touloukian breaks a long one before half. 17-0. Every time Tipton drove in WL territory, WL would create a sack or negative play. Second half, a fumble call went against us and the route was on. WL might have the best defense I've seen Tipton ever play against. I'd be shocked if they aren't playing Thanksgiving weekend. Good news for my Blue Devils is that there were no further injuries and most of the guys out should be ready to go for the tournament run.

I was somewhat disappointed in a few players in blue tonight. ..A couple who looked like they were playing not to get hurt rather than playing to win.... Hopefully, that's out of their system.

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I was somewhat disappointed in a few players in blue tonight. ..A couple who looked like they were playing not to get hurt rather than playing to win.... Hopefully, that's out of their system.

I felt that way as well but not until second half when it got away from us. First half I thought we were very physical and defense was great. Wore down being on the field so much and seemed to phone it in after that fumble call. I can promise there is no one in 2A on same planet as WL. 

Congrats to Western on a hard fought win.   Western completes their 1st of 7 attempts with 1:20 or so to go in game it goes for 67 yard TD.   We get inside the 40, had a couple guys behind Corners on a few plays just misfired.   Final 35-31.   Held Knepley to 31 carries 131 and their team rushing 46 for 233.   He is a load, so many 4th down conversions from 4 yards out or so.  Then of course the money ball to finish the game for their offense.   

We did a nice job in our spread, getting the edge and tossing it around a bit ourselves.   Had 183 on the ground and 187 in the air.  No turnovers for either team.   We did give up a kick return touchdown in the 2nd quarter that loomed large.   Up 24-14 at half,  scored to go up 31-28 with 2 and some change..... 

best part, I believe all got out healthy.  

Onto Taylor as they say........

Championship scores:

1st - West Lafayette 51   Tipton 6

3rd - Western 35   Rensselaer Central 31

5th - Lewis Cass 35   Twin Lakes 26

7th - Hamilton Heights 37  Lafayette Central Catholic 24

9th Benton Central 34   Northwestern 20

I was surprised mostly by the BC victory....Congrats to the Bisons and all the winners...well deserved !

By looks of mixer, looks like everyone took a hit so good for everyone  : )

On 10/10/2017 at 10:12 AM, Fballfan15 said:

Elwood used to do it every year with Mireles, Ozenbaugh, Dunnichay etc. Completely agree though, they need to get other guys involved. 

On 10/10/2017 at 9:41 AM, gapdownbacker said:

Pioneer's Kiser will get the ball close to that much when they actually play a close game. He did it against LCC in regional last year,  Adams Central in last year's semi-state, at state vs Linton, and two weeks ago against Knox. He had at least 25 carries in all of those games.

6 minutes ago, Andy G said:

Pioneer's Kiser will get the ball close to that much when they actually play a close game. He did it against LCC in regional last year,  Adams Central in last year's semi-state, at state vs Linton, and two weeks ago against Knox. He had at least 25 carries in all of those games.

After looking up Knepley's stats, he had 49 carries vs WL, 44 vs Cass, and 42 vs Northwestern. The most Kiser has had in a game is 32.

Congratulations to the Huskies! It seemed to this fan that the last ten minutes of the Twin lakes game may have been a break through. I am supreme the isn't more about the game here.

Go huskies!

On 10/11/2017 at 12:20 PM, foxbat said:

During the tourney, I don't recall if the prayer is omitted.  I believe that it may be.  All other times, the prayer is done ... sometimes rotates among local priests in attendance and sometimes offered by laymen.  Anthem varies as to the offering ... sometimes the band live, sometimes a tape, and sometimes live a capella.

I don't know if Don Windler does the JV games too, but he does a good job with the varsity announcements.  

As for the DeFouw Complex, which houses LaRocca, did you get a chance to check out Leming Field ... the baseball diamond?  Great locations for 1A sports ... and beyond.

Friday night part of the time we were the huskies and the other times we were the huskers.

Not complaining just an observation. lol