• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/17/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted  Anderson Prep Academy: Jeffrey Dorman Randy Albano Hired Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant Brian Hooker Hired Cloverdale: Tony Meyer Tom Winder Promoted Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones  Tony Slocum Promoted  
Sign in to follow this  
GB4

2017 Indianapolis Colts

GB4    122

So GM Ryan Grigson is fired. Chris Ballard is hired. Now, in a stunner P Pat McAfee retires in the most Pat McAfee way possible.

GB 

Edited by GB4

Coach_G    649

Guess his dreams of doing both Kicking and Punting duties when Adam retired aren't important anymore  

• Upvote 1

FishDuck    245

Tough for the Colts, 1 of their top 5 players making a surprise decision like this, but I thought it was pretty cool that he is staying Indianapolis and working to make the city better and more well known. Good dude, the boom stick is.

• Upvote 1

GB4    122
3 minutes ago, FishDuck said:

Tough for the Colts, 1 of their top 5 players making a surprise decision like this, but I thought it was pretty cool that he is staying Indianapolis and working to make the city better and more well known. Good dude, the boom stick is.

Yes, he is a great guy. Having a great P is really underrated in football, even though his coverage team sucked this year. He was one of the most popular guys in the locker room too.

GB 

GB4    122

Jack Doyle re-signs with the Colts on a 3 year deal.

GB 

• Upvote 3

GB4    122

The Colts have traded TE Dwayne Allen to the.....Patriots.

GB 

itiswhatitis    452
Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, GB4 said:

Jack Doyle re-signs with the Colts on a 3 year deal.

GB 

One down and at least 2 more to go (resigning Butler and Turbin).  This was a no brainer (resigning Doyle).  I'm 50/50 on resigning Walden.

Edited by itiswhatitis

itiswhatitis    452
Posted (edited)

Ballard had a tough task taking this GM job.  He had to get rid of an excessive mess that Grigson made plus do his best to make the team a playoff/division contender in a short time.  I remember in his introductory presser he said he would take the first 10 days and watch all 16 games to evaluate players and see what he had and where there were needs to addess.  This isn't Ballard's first rodeo.  He has years of experience at being a scout and evaluating talent.  I'm sure the player moves that he has made and will make going forward (FA's, trades, and draft picks) will be done so with a purpose.  The moves he has made (so far) have not been earth shattering (for me) but they have made a lot of sense.  The FA's they have been linked to through rumors, etc have all been holes that need filled.  I was a bit disappointed that the Jags are signing Boyue and not the Colts.  He would have been a good fit with Davies in the secondary.  However, it would appear that he was too expensive for the Colts to sign.  Guess we'll be drafting a cornerback now.  It's been rumored the Colts want to draft a running back this year.  The RB position in this draft is deep.  I watched the combine and it looks to me there are at least 10 out of the 30 backs at the combine that should make it on an NFL roster.  The Colts should find a running back for the future.  IMO if (BIG IF) Fournette is at 15 when the Colts pick I wouldn't have a problem with them taking him.  He impressed me as a smash mouth type of runner and runs like a freight train in the open field.  His vertical jump wasn't that great (29.5 inches), but I don't worry too much about that in running backs.  It's a bigger deal (for me) to see WR's with big vertical jumps.  However, I'd rather see the Colts draft Solomon Thomas at 15 if he is available.  He's a wrecking machine on the DL.  One last thought:  since Allen was traded to New England, the Colts are going to need a 3rd tight end.  Wondering if they will draft one.  If they do, I like Kittle out of Iowa.  Good talent to learn under Doyle.  Hard working kid who is a lot like Doyle (and another Iowa kid = Dallas Clark!).  I see good things to come with Ballard running the show. 

Edited by itiswhatitis

itiswhatitis    452

So the Colts sigh Locke from Minnesota as their next punter.  His average is about 2.5 yards shorter than McAfee's was.  Also he averages about 25 per year inside the 20 yard line.  Not bad. 

CGFan2017    106

Im liking what Ballard has done with his defensive signing so far. Hope they go defense in the draft as well. 

• Upvote 1

FishDuck    245

Ballard has done a pretty solid job so far IMO. Nothing spectacular, a couple of solid contributors on the defensive side in Simon and Sheard who can play all over the place to go along with a couple draft busts in Mingo and Hunt; both of whom have the tools to maybe surprise some people if it ever all clicks. I really liked the Allen trade, saved some money and got an extra draft pick, also shows that they must be pretty high on Swoope. If they could have landed Alshon Jeffrey for the 1 year deal around 14 million, or if they get Poe at a reasonable price I would say that the offseason was a home run.

If you take Vinatieri off the roster the Colts would currently be the 2nd youngest team in the league, so they are doing what Irsay said they would and bringing in some youth at least

GB4    122
14 hours ago, FishDuck said:

Ballard has done a pretty solid job so far IMO. Nothing spectacular, a couple of solid contributors on the defensive side in Simon and Sheard who can play all over the place to go along with a couple draft busts in Mingo and Hunt; both of whom have the tools to maybe surprise some people if it ever all clicks. I really liked the Allen trade, saved some money and got an extra draft pick, also shows that they must be pretty high on Swoope. If they could have landed Alshon Jeffrey for the 1 year deal around 14 million, or if they get Poe at a reasonable price I would say that the offseason was a home run.

If you take Vinatieri off the roster the Colts would currently be the 2nd youngest team in the league, so they are doing what Irsay said they would and bringing in some youth at least

Agreed, he also got rid of some Grigson busts. Art Jones will be cut soon.

GB 

• Upvote 1

FishDuck    245

Colts bring back Darius Butler, but to play safety. Not a bad move, only costs a couple million bucks for this season and gives you a smart veteran in a young group. Would expect the secondary will get at least 1-2 draft picks as well.

• Upvote 1

GB4    122
1 hour ago, FishDuck said:

Colts bring back Darius Butler, but to play safety. Not a bad move, only costs a couple million bucks for this season and gives you a smart veteran in a young group. Would expect the secondary will get at least 1-2 draft picks as well.

The team is definitely thin in the CBs spots.

GB 

FishDuck    245
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, GB4 said:

The team is definitely thin in the CBs spots.

GB 

Yep, but it's a good draft to improve there and Butler isn't going to be a top 2 corner option. Could be an understandable move to go corner in round 1 with the signings of Sheard, Simon, and Mingo as puss rush guys.

Somebody is going to get a steal in the middle rounds with Sidney Jones too as a CB, assuming he recovers well and is ready for 2018. And the Colts have an extra 4th rounder now from the Allen trade

Edited by FishDuck

GB4    122
5 minutes ago, FishDuck said:

Yep, but it's a good draft to improve there and Butler isn't going to be a top 2 corner option. Could be an understandable move to go corner in round 1 with the signings of Sheard, Simon, and Mingo as puss rush guys.

Somebody is going to get a steal in the middle rounds with Sidney Jones too as a CB, assuming he recovers well and is ready for 2018. And the Colts have an extra 4th rounder now from the Allen trade

It is a deep draft with the Colts needs this year.

GB 

itiswhatitis    452
1 hour ago, FishDuck said:

Okay hold on a minute.  Is that pass rush or puss rush (your post not mine)?  Was it a typo on your part or are you making fun of the Colts signings in a subtle kind of way?  I had to ask.  If it is a typo, I did laugh when I read it.  LOL

• Upvote 1

FishDuck    245
2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Okay hold on a minute.  Is that pass rush or puss rush (your post not mine)?  Was it a typo on your part or are you making fun of the Colts signings in a subtle kind of way?  I had to ask.  If it is a typo, I did laugh when I read it.  LOL

100% a typo, but I mean you gotta put your priorities first and if that's the route they go I ain't mad about it LOL

They signed 2 guys that the Patriots picked up in previous years, so I can't make fun of them too much ;)

• Upvote 2

itiswhatitis    452

The Colts have signed 11 free agents from other teams (7 on the defensive side).  You could argue whether this will make them better than last year, but the draft is going to be quite interesting  now.  They could still use a beast edge rusher and a cornerback.  I'd also like to see them grab another inside linebacker, if possible.  Other than WR, I'm good with any other positions they draft.  There are a LOT of holes to fill on both sides of the ball.  I don't think the younger running back they have now is their "future", so I look for them to take a running back this year.  Now with Grigson gone, I do hope they get off of that "Best Player Available" crap.  However, if it is BPA and fills a need, then I'm okay with that.  But to take the BPA just because, is stupid.  So far, Ballard is doing a good job with the cutting of the fat and with his FA signings.  I hope he kills it in the draft too.  If the Colts can improve by just 25%, then they should be in the playoff picture again.  If they don't make it, then I would expect them to be there next season.  He hasn't addressed the offensive line much but I think he likes how the Colts finished the season last year.  The last 3 games, Luck was sacked the least amount of times during the season.  There were 3 rookies starting on the Oline at that time.  Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

GB4    122

They did have a Michigan O- Lineman in for a pre-draft visit and signed a backup G/C Brian Schwenke. I think they will add another player or two in the draft.

GB 

itiswhatitis    452
Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:36 PM, GB4 said:

They did have a Michigan O- Lineman in for a pre-draft visit and signed a backup G/C Brian Schwenke. I think they will add another player or two in the draft.

GB 

At this point, it's hard to say.  You look at the mock drafts and they are all over the place.  A couple have the Colts drafting an offensive lineman (although 2 different ones) with their first pick, another one has them drafting a cornerback, another has them drafting a defensive lineman, another has them drafting a linebacker, while another one has them drafting a running back.  The talking heads that do these mocks, are just like we fans: they all have their opinion(s) about what is needed.  There are a few holes to fill even after the free agency signings so I would think at least one of these guys will get it right and be able to puff out their chest and brag about how they were right.  LOL  I'm okay with whomever the Colts draft as long as it fills a need.  Edge rusher, cornerback, offensive lineman, and running back (for the future) are all needs that must be met.  However, I would consider this a 2 year process so they probably won't get everything they need this year.  Ballard has been pretty smart with what he's done so far.  Since he has years of scouting experience, it appears he's very good at evaluating talent and skills (way better than (Grigson).  I'm really anxious to see what he "attacks" first in the draft.  It's been obvious he has been doing what he can in free agency to shore up the defense.  With 6 picks in the first four rounds and a deep draft, I'm hoping he hits a couple of grand slams in those first 4 rounds.  The Patriots and the Steelers have been very good at picking up players who know one else has heard of yet they turn out to be Pro Bowlers (some of them).  Harrison for the Steelers wasn't even drafted.  I always hated that about them but after thinking about it, I had to give props to their scouts for finding players like that.  Ballard seems to fit into that mold.  Only time will tell, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. 

Edited by itiswhatitis
  • Upvote 1

GB4    122

Colts sign former Giants NT Johnathan Hankins to a 3 year $30 million deal with $14.5 million in guarantees.

GB

FishDuck    245
11 hours ago, GB4 said:

Colts sign former Giants NT Johnathan Hankins to a 3 year $30 million deal with $14.5 million in guarantees.

GB

Another solid signing by Ballard and the Colts this offseason.

And another reason why they have to go Corner at pick 15 IMO unless there are some crazy picks before them on draft night.

GB4    122
On 4/14/2017 at 7:15 AM, FishDuck said:

And another reason why they have to go Corner at pick 15 IMO unless there are some crazy picks before them on draft night.

I really hope Rueban Foster is available. I don't think he will be, but if not I would be surprised if they went CB.

GB 

itiswhatitis    452
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:15 AM, FishDuck said:

I would tend to agree about getting a CB at pick 15.  Conley out of Ohio State would be a really good get.  I thought they (the Colts) may take a shot at Sherman.  However, he is getting older but would be an instant upgrade and they wouldn't need to use a draft pick for a corner.