• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
1st_and_10

Sagamore Conference 2017

On 9/14/2017 at 8:27 AM, 1st_and_10 said:

At this level... I want the ball in someone's hands that can make a play with it... Webo had Gilliam at QB last year... The kid is an athlete... He wasn't much of a passer, but the kid made plays with his feet... Spencer is now doing that along with being able to sling the rock... He learned the 2nd half of the year when Pelley started him as a Freshman...

IF I am TW... I look long term... Who is going to be the guy going forward Hendershot or Robertson?  Get that guy as many reps as possible now... Maybe that's what Bruce is doing?  IT appears the Robertson kid is one dimensional... He isn't a threat to break contain and run 20 yards... He seems like more the kid that is going to sit in the pocket and try to make a play with his arm.

On the topic of Spencer Wright, I was looking at MaxPreps stats this morning and I noticed he is the leading sophomore in the state in passing yards and overall is ranked 32nd.  He has been a delightful surprise so far and has matured over the first half of the season.  I think this clip provides a nice overview of his ability to pass and, if needed, run the ball.  I'm most impressed by his ability to accurately throw while running to left which this clip doesn't show. http://www.hudl.com/v/27rNmh

Edited by BigTimeDB
Wrong link

On 9/18/2017 at 6:31 AM, 1st_and_10 said:

Friday, Sep. 15
Danville 27, Tri-West 14
Lebanon 46, Frankfort 0
Southmont 41, Crawfordsville 14
Western Boone 56, North Montgomery 17
Friday, Sep. 22
Frankfort at Western Boone, 7 pm
Lebanon at Tri-West, 7 pm
North Montgomery at Crawfordsville, 7 pm
Southmont at Danville, 7 pm

WeBo huge over Frankfort 42pts by half

TW by 7

Crawfordsville with the upset by 14

Danville by 28

My guess is that after this week TW makes the QB change to 18 permanent.  Robertson has a bright future but this doesn't look to be his year.  Watson is a winner pure and simple.  

2 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

The 3/4 games this week should be blowouts...

Agreed. I don't see any games being within 21 this week. 

Lebanon by 35

Danville by 49

TW by 28

Webo by 21

Must be nice to have a conference where at least two teams are perennial patsies.

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Must be nice to have a conference where at least two teams are perennial patsies.

The Webo vs Frankfort game got boring pretty quick.  That was even with Webo having a number of offense timing misfires.  Aside from Frankfort having year over year issues competing in the SAC, the entire conference is down overall.  I remember a few years ago when there were a number of ranked SAC teams going at it every week.  Some that weren't ranked could play spoilers.  Now we have Danville and Webo in the Sagarin top 10 (with Danville as the standout conference team).  I liked the conference more when success was spread across a number of programs opposed to how it is this year, two separate halves.  I will say I think TW ends up in the upper half because they'll win the rest of their conference games.   

39 minutes ago, BigTimeDB said:

Aside from Frankfort having year over year issues competing in the SAC, the entire conference is down overall.  

Agreed. FHS needs to find another conference, the SAC has outgrown them.    A conference like the HHC would be more suitable for the Hot Dog's overall talent level.

56 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Agreed. FHS needs to find another conference, the SAC has outgrown them.    A conference like the HHC would be more suitable for the Hot Dog's overall talent level.

Is this true for all sports?  When is the last time Crawfordsville contended for a championship? I really don't know...swimming, golf, baseball, softball? They might be the best year in and year out...

1 minute ago, Mike Walden said:

Is this true for all sports?  

Yes, with possibly the exception of boy's soccer.

I'm anxious to learn more about Western Boone in the next few weeks. A Sectional showdown with them seems inevitable.

• Like 1

In the last 20 years (approx time Danville and TW joined): 

Football Championships: Danville and TW 7

WeBo: 4

SouthMont: 3

Lebanon, Frankfort, and North Mont: 1

Crawfoesville: 0

Boys Basketball championships: Lebanon 12

Danville: 11

Frankfort: 4

TW: 2

Crawfordsvle, SouthMont, WeBo: 0

• Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Mike Walden said:

Thank you .  Just goes to show that slowly dying rust belt towns like Frankfort can no longer compete against growing Indianapolis metro bedroom communities like Danville, Lebanon, and Tri-West.

38 minutes ago, Mike Walden said:

What stands out to me here is Lebanon's success in basketball vs football.  Personally I think a school the size of Lebanon should have success in most sports more times than not.  

9 minutes ago, BigTimeDB said:

What stands out to me here is Lebanon's success in basketball vs football.  Personally I think a school the size of Lebanon should have success in most sports more times than not.  

Lebanon, like Frankfort, has always been known as more of a basketball school.

Frankfort:  1925, 1929, 1936, 1939

Lebanon: 1912, 1917, 1918

1 hour ago, Fballfan15 said:

I'm anxious to learn more about Western Boone in the next few weeks. A Sectional showdown with them seems inevitable.

I just hope its not first round. Nice to this game for sectional championship 

39 minutes ago, Jbk2 said:

I just hope its not first round. Nice to this game for sectional championship 

Completely agree, we haven't been that lucky in recent years though so it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fballfan15 said:

In the near term I'm interested to see how the Tipton/Sheridan game goes this week as this is a common opponent.  One caveat would be Webo faced Sheridan the first game of the season so game experience since then and/or injuries could skew the comparison.   Looking at the Sagarin, the two schools are ranked close together however strength of schedules differ some.  

Just now, BigTimeDB said:

In the near term I'm interested to see how the Tipton/Sheridan game goes this week as this is a common opponent.  One caveat would be Webo faced Sheridan the first game of the season so game experience since then and/or injuries could skew the comparison.   Looking at the Sagarin, the two schools are ranked close together however strength of schedules differ some.  

This week will tell a little but not much. Like you said a lot can change from week 1 to week 7. Tipton always seems to struggle with Sheridan regardless of how good they are or Tipton is. Hopefully this year is different. After seeing highlights of your QB, it looks like Webo and Tipton's offense are very similar.

5 hours ago, Mike Walden said:

Is this true for all sports?  When is the last time Crawfordsville contended for a championship? I really don't know...swimming, golf, baseball, softball? They might be the best year in and year out...

Crawfordsville made it to semi-state in football in 1989 but lost to Hammond Noll.   Crawfordsville beat Lafayette Jeff in 1980 and that was the only regular season game Jeff lost that year.  Crawfordsville used to have really good football teams until about 1993.

18 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Muda, serious question... Do you think that Frankfort will eventually go away from football?  You talk frequently on here about the economic situation there.... But to build a program, one would think you need kids that want to play.  Frankfort doesn't have a youth program... Does it have a Jr. High program?  Is football (at the high school level) operating in the "black"?  It seems to me those that really want to play football could transfer to CP or CC (or another school that is close)... The Sagamore teams typically have ebs and flows... TW is down this year... Webo has been down in recent years as has Danville, Lebanon, South, North... Crawfordsville has struggled... But everyone knows that Cville is a baseball school first and foremost.  Their youth program (though I am not inside it) seems to struggle... Didn't have a 6th grade team (moved the 6th graders up to play 7th grade so they could field a team) and their 4/5th graders only had 1 (though a pretty large) team... That school is larger than South, North, and Webo...

What does Frankfort have to do to have a little success?

Just curious as to your thoughts

1 hour ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Muda, serious question... Do you think that Frankfort will eventually go away from football?  You talk frequently on here about the economic situation there.... But to build a program, one would think you need kids that want to play.  Frankfort doesn't have a youth program... Does it have a Jr. High program?  Is football (at the high school level) operating in the "black"?  

What does Frankfort have to do to have a little success?

Just curious as to your thoughts

To attempt to answer your questions:

1) What do you mean by 'go away from football'?  If you mean stop sponsoring tackle football as an extracurricular activity at the Jr. High and High School levels, then yes I believe that is possible.  Numbers across all levels continue to decline.    Just yesterday evening I happened to drive by the FHS football practice field during a practice session.  I counted only about 30-35 players.  Pretty low numbers for a supposed '4A' program................

2) Yes, FMS has had a 7th and 8th grade program for a long time.  A 6th grade program was added about 5 years ago.   But numbers in all of these are very, very  low, and frequently the 7th & 8th grade teams have to combine in order to field a complete team.  Some players quit after 6th grade, and the attrition continues into the 7th and 8th grade years.  

A big part of this I believe has to do with:

a.  No current youth program.  The previous one, run I believe by the Clinton County YMCA, petered out a couple of years ago for reasons that I am not privy to.  I suspect it was do to just overall low numbers (parents not wanting their children to play tackle football due to the risk of injury/CTE) and the cost, which is high for an economically depressed town like Frankfort.

b.  Culture.  The large and growing base of Hispanic students (which now make up almost 50% of enrollment across all CSF schools) simply don't view football as important.  Frankly most of them would rather play soccer.  Baseball comes in probably second behind soccer.

3) I don't know if the FHS football program turns a profit, but I would be surprised if it did.   You can contact the FHS athletic director, Mr. Ed Niehaus, at (765) 659-6255 x2401 or email him at niehaus@frankfort.k12.in.us.  He may be able to answer your question.

Schavietello was at Crawfordsville from 77-97, and their best teams of "recent" vintage came from that era.  Ryker coached from 2003-2008 and was 8 games below .500, so he at least fielded competitive teams.  Pretty much been a disaster for the last 10 years.  Froedge has run the baseball program since forever, and they seem to be ranked darned near every year, so he has something working over there for sure.

Frankfort does have middle school football, although I know at least the 8th grade game vs Danville this year was forfeited due to lack of bodies.  And their 7th grade team last year had a few decent kids, but depth was clearly a problem.  Doesn't bode well for future Hot Dog teams for the foreseeable future anyway.  They DO have a pretty decent base of kids for baseball in that 13-14 yr old age group, kids have been playing together for years and they have some talent.  A lot of them are Hispanic, to Muda's point about where those kids migrate to when it comes to sports.

The newly formed Sagamore Youth Football Conference will start their playoffs next week.  I am looking forward to seeing how these kids compete now in little league and seeing who end up on top in high school.  In my opinion, this has been a great change for all teams involved (all high school member teams excluding Lebanon and Frankfort).  I have included a link to show the current team standings. 

http://www.twfootball.com/scheduleandstandings

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:21 AM, Mike Walden said:

The newly formed Sagamore Youth Football Conference will start their playoffs next week.  I am looking forward to seeing how these kids compete now in little league and seeing who end up on top in high school.  In my opinion, this has been a great change for all teams involved (all high school member teams excluding Lebanon and Frankfort).  I have included a link to show the current team standings. 

http://www.twfootball.com/scheduleandstandings

It has been a good change.  I have enjoyed it and honestly the biggest thing for us was the travel.. Driving 45 minutes to Clinton Central or Sheridan just wasn't a ton of fun... We now have a max of about 20-25 minutes to the North or South.

Also, Western Boone played the Frankfort 6th grade team last night.  I didn't count, but it looked like Frankfort had in the neighborhood of 18 kids on their 6th grade team...