• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snadenjr

recruiters need to come to evansville

in evansville we are the 3rd largest city, in state but we barely get athletes in evansville to go div 1. here is some players in evansville area that have div 1 talent. junior class rb jadrien higginson of castle,  lb joey dierkman of rietz, wr triston wilkerson of castle, ol drew hart of memorial, boots kid from materdei.  theres more but those i think off hand. now soph class has some serious div 1 talent qb michael lindauer from memorial,te brody heaton of castle,ol-dl dalton mills of central,de rayzel joiner of central,qb brennan harper of central, wr jamaal simpson of central,. central is so loaded in there soph class i believe they could win state.best player in city was a freshman from central trejon evans of central a rb.if you have any athletes let me know. we are so underated state wise. i know indianapolis has a lot of talent and fort wayne to but we have talent as well. if columbus east and north can send kids to div 1 why cant we in evansville.in the 90s we had bunch of athletes go div 1 in football now we barley can get a kid to fcs  school.

12 hours ago, Night Hawk said:

Perhaps they struggle with the English portion of the SAT?

giphy.gif

I remember East Central playing Reitz in '09 and '10. Reitz QB, I believe his name was McIntosh, was the most dynamic high school QB I have ever seen and still is to this day. Believe he went to NIU but I think he was just as good if not better then some of the big name QB's that have come from this state. 

Since then I've seen a lot of kids from Evansville who I thought had the ability but I never heard much from. Biggest issue is probably the geography, Evansville is kind of its own little island out there, but there shouldn't be a reason teams couldn't find a kid or two their every year.

16 minutes ago, Gamecock Part Deux said:

I remember East Central playing Reitz in '09 and '10. Reitz QB, I believe his name was McIntosh, was the most dynamic high school QB I have ever seen and still is to this day. Believe he went to NIU but I think he was just as good if not better then some of the big name QB's that have come from this state. 

Since then I've seen a lot of kids from Evansville who I thought had the ability but I never heard much from. Biggest issue is probably the geography, Evansville is kind of its own little island out there, but there shouldn't be a reason teams couldn't find a kid or two their every year.

Think his brother was even better ;)

There is no doubt Southwest Indiana is under recruited.  If your name is in the Indy Star every week....that makes a substantial difference.

I would place some of the blame on the coaches. With the technology we have today (Hudl) there is no reason a player should not be able to be seen by any college coach in America. If a player wants to go somewhere, its the coaches responsibility to try to make that happen. You cannot always rely on the colleges to come find you.

@Titan32, the Dude abides about being under recruited.  But not so much regarding D1 talent.

The silver lining behind the area being under recruited is just a few hours northbound on I69 there's a new HC at a Big Ten school that has IHSAA HC experience.  If the Dude had to guess, his fellow IHSAA brethren are probably looking into heading to some of his camps during the off season.  That alone helps getting exposure to the talent level in the area.  

Believe it or not, the Evansville area is producing next level student-athletes.  Just not at the consistency of both Indianapolis and Ft. Wayne.  Just last year a kid from Castle signed with Vanderbilt and from what the Dude understands it looks like IU wants a kid out of Harrison to be a preferred walk on (don't quote the Dude on that, the Dude could be completely wrong).  And some of the kids are choosing to pursue other sports at the next level.  Heck some of them are just hanging up the cleats and moving on in life. 

Of the names listed above the Dude wouldn't call a majority of them D1 talent.  Technique, speed, strength, IQ, and most importantly, also unfortunate, size matters.  A lot on the list above just don't have the size.  They are a talented bunch but D1 talent is a stretch.  

8 minutes ago, POTLUCK said:

I would place some of the blame on the coaches. With the technology we have today (Hudl) there is no reason a player should not be able to be seen by any college coach in America. If a player wants to go somewhere, its the coaches responsibility to try to make that happen. You cannot always rely on the colleges to come find you.

Thanks for sharing.  How much responsibility?

3 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

One would think UE would hit this area hard?

I'm sorry I couldn't resist, for all my UE alumni friends.

Imagine if USI started D2 football (I know it's never going to happen) but WOW! that would make a big dent in Marian, U of I and all the D3s.

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

Of the names listed above the Dude wouldn't call a majority of them D1 talent.  Technique, speed, strength, IQ, and most importantly, also unfortunate, size matters.  A lot on the list above just don't have the size.  They are a talented bunch but D1 talent is a stretch.  

Yeah, sometimes people confuse those who dominate or standout in a particular area to be D1. Like you mentioned, it often times starts and ends with those qualities. There will always be outliers, but the data generally favors those qualities. I think it might be a bit of a stretch to say SW Indiana is under-recruited. The last great player from the area, Deke Cooper, ended up starting for ND. I know there have been numerous players to get IU, Purdue, and MAC level scholarships since then. 

At this point though it seems like it would be easy for a D1 worthy kid to get a scholarship offer. Try attending a camp or a couple camps at IU, Purdue, Ball State, Northern Illinois, MIami (OH), Western Kentucky, etc., or a satellite camp that a big dog like Michigan is offering. Coaches from smaller schools attend those.

lindauer 6'2, brennan harper 6'3 those are qbs, drew hart ol 6'6 300, rayzel joiner 6'6 220 de, everybody else is 6'2 and taller except  soph wr/cb jamaal simpson 6'1 and trejon evans hes only 5'7 so all those players i listed have  div 1 talent.

It has been my experience that players with division I size, division I speed, and division I ability, along with college grades and test scores play division I football.  Any one of those areas not division I the player is not division I.

2 hours ago, snadenjr said:

lindauer 6'2, brennan harper 6'3 those are qbs, drew hart ol 6'6 300, rayzel joiner 6'6 220 de, everybody else is 6'2 and taller except  soph wr/cb jamaal simpson 6'1 and trejon evans hes only 5'7 so all those players i listed have  div 1 talent.

The Dude isn't trying to argue with you but the Dude just doesn't agree.  

From what the Dude understands, Lindauer is also a baseball player and is looking to pursue that sport.  The Dude could be wrong though.  Someone from Memorial want to fill the Dude in on that rumor?

RB Higginson, OL/DE Boots, and ILB Deikmann are not 6'2.  Unless of course these kids have grown some during the off season.  
WR Wilkerson runs a 4.8 40.   

The Dude sees Hart getting some looks for sure.  His foot speed and technique need a little work but he's probably already getting some looks coming his way.  

Both Central and Memorial are loaded with talent but the Dude isn't sure if it's D1 talent.  The Dude hopes it turns out that way though.

Regardless, all the kids mentioned are a talented bunch and extremely entertaining to watch!  

2 hours ago, coachkj said:

It has been my experience that players with division I size, division I speed, and division I ability, along with college grades and test scores play division I football.  Any one of those areas not division I the player is not division I.

You said it so much better than the Dude.  The Dude abides. 

4 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Yeah, sometimes people confuse those who dominate or standout in a particular area to be D1. Like you mentioned, it often times starts and ends with those qualities. There will always be outliers, but the data generally favors those qualities. I think it might be a bit of a stretch to say SW Indiana is under-recruited. The last great player from the area, Deke Cooper, ended up starting for ND. I know there have been numerous players to get IU, Purdue, and MAC level scholarships since then. 

At this point though it seems like it would be easy for a D1 worthy kid to get a scholarship offer. Try attending a camp or a couple camps at IU, Purdue, Ball State, Northern Illinois, MIami (OH), Western Kentucky, etc., or a satellite camp that a big dog like Michigan is offering. Coaches from smaller schools attend those.

By under-recruited the Dude means all schools that offer scholarships, not just D1.  

Speaking of the Memorial kids mentioned (and not mentioned)...  Hart just got his first D1 offer over the weekend.  I expect after camps etc. this summer there will be more to come.  He appears to still be growing taller and will continue to get stronger.  Lindauer is an excellent baseball player, but I haven't heard that he is leaning one way or another at this point.  Combs is also a great athlete and will likely start drawing some interest as he attends camps, etc.  He and Lindauer are cousins and just sophomores.  None of those three kids will be hurt by GPA or SAT/ACT.

Npatman, the dropped microphone was hilarious....  

1 hour ago, tango said:

Speaking of the Memorial kids mentioned (and not mentioned)...  Hart just got his first D1 offer over the weekend.  I expect after camps etc. this summer there will be more to come.  He appears to still be growing taller and will continue to get stronger.  Lindauer is an excellent baseball player, but I haven't heard that he is leaning one way or another at this point.  Combs is also a great athlete and will likely start drawing some interest as he attends camps, etc.  He and Lindauer are cousins and just sophomores.  None of those three kids will be hurt by GPA or SAT/ACT.

Npatman, the dropped microphone was hilarious....  

Which one was Combs?

6 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Imagine if USI started D2 football (I know it's never going to happen)

Let's hope that it never does. Honestly I think that in my five years at USI I went to exactly one basketball game. I'd imagine a football team would attract the same level of support.

Indiana prep.com is having an underclass men showcase in Evansville on March 12th.  Details on their website.  There's a chance for some kids to show what this area has to offer

2 hours ago, btownqbcoach said:

Which one was Combs?

#8.

1 hour ago, tango said:

#8.

Mmmm yeah definitely a good football player. Has the frame to add a lot of weight, as well. 

Great thread. Agree with so many things here. Size is a big hold-back for so many of these talented kids. Geography matters quite a bit, but it also doesn't. Stanford flew a coach in to Castle last year to take a look at Bailey. But the biggest thing I think I disagree with is that it is the coach's responsibility. Maybe, if you are the Head (executive) Coach of a HS dynasty that wins games year after year like clockwork, then yes - I'd expect your primary job might be managing the talent pipeline and relationships with several D1 coaches. Because doing that means good kids move into your district to be a part of that pipeline. Outside of that, (just my opinion) what you should hope for from your HS coach is to put kids in a position to be successful on the field, and say good things about them when they are asked. The most successful D1 programs don't bother beating the bushes... they have relationships with several dynasties and they keep a close eye on the recruit ranking boards. And if you have the size, talent, grades, scores (and don't forget WILL) to play D1 ball, it is the responsibility of the student and his family to do what it takes to get on those lists. Lists don't care where you live or who your coach is. How do you get on (and move up) the lists? Highlights, camps, COMBINES, compete at every opportunity. Junior days, school visits, game day visits, emails, questionnaires, Twitter, building relationships with position coaches, head coaches. Repeat.

There are thousands of young men out there putting in this kind of work year-round to pursue this dream... if a kid is just showing up for games and waiting for someone to come to town to recognize his greatness - probably going to be a long wait.

I have seen several people make comments about how much responsibility is the coaches. As a high school coach in my opinion it is your job to seek opportunities for your athletes to play at the next level,  if they so desire. It does not matter if it is D1 or not. As a football coach there is more to your job than just calling plays on Friday Night. Like I said earlier with HUDL there is no excuse. If you think a kid has what it takes a simple phone call is a good start. It has nothing to do with the school you coach at. Whether you are at Carmel or Turkey Run, if you have a player that wants to play at the next level it is your job as a coach to try to make that happen. If there is a D1 player out there colleges will find them. I think some coaches put to much on the players and parents in the recruiting process. That is why these recruiting agencies exist  which are a joke in my opinion.