• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
FishDuck

2017 Draft

As I've said before, the combine through the draft is one of my favorite times of the NFL season so here are some of my thoughts so far:

If the Browns pass on Garrett, especially for a QB, with the 1st pick they will officially qualify for most dysfunctional sports organization ever. After weighing in at 270lbs and running a 4.6 with a 41" vertical I would be contacting his agent today and working on a contract for Myles Garrett if I were the Browns. Freakish numbers put up this weekend.

I've seen several mock drafts that have the Colts taking Dalvin Cook or OJ Howard, but I think doing so would put Indy just behind Cleveland in terms of "dysfunctionality". Think the Colts must take one of these front 7 players on defense that are full in this draft. Whether it's a pass rusher like Barnett, McKinley, or a linebacker like Reuben Foster, Raekwon McMillan or the Reddick kid from Temple I don't think they can go wrong. In fact, I would probably look to take McMillan in the 1st and then get a pass rusher like TJ Watt or Tanoh Kpassagnon from Villanova in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

Hoping the Patriots go for a pass rush in the first round Taco Charlton, Tim Williams, or Carl Lawson would make me happy if they are there at 32. That being said, if Christian McCaffrey is on the board I wouldn't be upset about seeing him in their offense lol but I don't imagine he will be available.

Will the Bears take a QB in round 1 or do the smart thing and go for defense with Jonathan Allen or Solomon Thomas?

Give me Cam Robinson from Alabama please and thank you 

And please do not give 14 million dollars to Mike Gleason 

Browns wont take a QB #1, because they can get a QB mid 1st round with their second pick.  

Every flippen pick for the Colts should be defensive guys....every one....maybe next year too.  

Edited by Coach_G

DeShawn Watson is starting to warm up to me.    Would it be possible to slide down a bit and still get him?  Him at #3 maybe too much of a risk for me, but maybe in the 8-12 range??  

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

DeShawn Watson is starting to warm up to me.    Would it be possible to slide down a bit and still get him?  Him at #3 maybe too much of a risk for me, but maybe in the 8-12 range??  

I'm thinking the Bears are going to sign Glennon for $10m plus some. There are some reports that they will give him $15m, but personally I think with what happened with Osweiler last year, teams will shy away from that kind of deal.

I know this a draft thread, but I figure instead of starting a whole new thread for Free Agency I will just throw some FA news here. Tony Romo will released tomorrow.

GB 

Edited by GB4

QBs will always be overpaid because of the need.  The NFL salary cap spikes this year...a lot of people are going to get overpaid this year. 

Looks like the Bears will sign Glennon to a 3 year $43.5 million deal to be their starter. I don't hate it, a little more than I would probably spend, but he has shown a high level of potential in his career. Will be interesting to see how his decision making skills will be after sitting for the last couple seasons.

Texans kind of saved face with that terrible Osweiler signing by dealing him to the Browns.

GB 

16 hours ago, GB4 said:

Texans kind of saved face with that terrible Osweiler signing by dealing him to the Browns.

GB 

I am a big fan of what the Browns did yesterday. They have plenty of cap room to eat Osweiler's money for this year, plus if they decide to keep him he is probably a better option than what they have on the roster now at QB. Plus they got yet another 2nd round draft pick. They now have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of this year's draft AND next year's, not to mention if they are able to trade Osweiler for a 3rd rounder like they are hoping.  If they can somehow draft well that will do some big things for their franchise.

The Texans win too because they get out from under that Osweiler deal and they are now in the running to get Tony Romo, who if can stay healthy (big if), puts this team in a better position than they were last year. If they don't get Romo they could look to TJ Yates, or try to maneuver for another QB on the market and draft a developmental project like the Maholmes kid in the middle of round 1.

27 minutes ago, FishDuck said:

I am a big fan of what the Browns did yesterday. They have plenty of cap room to eat Osweiler's money for this year, plus if they decide to keep him he is probably a better option than what they have on the roster now at QB. Plus they got yet another 2nd round draft pick. They now have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of this year's draft AND next year's, not to mention if they are able to trade Osweiler for a 3rd rounder like they are hoping.  If they can somehow draft well that will do some big things for their franchise.

The Texans win too because they get out from under that Osweiler deal and they are now in the running to get Tony Romo, who if can stay healthy (big if), puts this team in a better position than they were last year. If they don't get Romo they could look to TJ Yates, or try to maneuver for another QB on the market and draft a developmental project like the Maholmes kid in the middle of round 1.

I agree, both teams win in this trade.

GB 

Its tonight and first year that I have literally no excitement.   Hopefully that changes......

On 3/6/2017 at 11:21 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Give me Cam Robinson from Alabama please and thank you 

And please do not give 14 million dollars to Mike Gleason 

Who is Gleason?  Did you mean Glennon here?

Edited by Coach Ellenwood

56 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Its tonight and first year that I have literally no excitement.   Hopefully that changes......

Glad someone else has said that. I will be honest, outside of a few individuals in the draft, and as much as I love football, the draft has always bored me. I DESPISE all the talk leading up to it. I HATE how so much of the commentary during college games is where a guy is projected. Even long before Boll Tobin ripped Mel Kiper, I was never a fan, and now add McShay to the mix???? ugh.

Draft was ruined when it went from Saturday Sunday to money grab (shocking I know) Primetime format 

• Upvote 1

I am not sure I understand what the Bears just did.

GB 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, GB4 said:

I am not sure I understand what the Bears just did.

GB 

Unless they trade him, neither do I. 

Give up 3 picks to move up 1 spot. 

Is he REALLY that much better than Deshaun Watson (or whomever the next QB taken)?

1 hour ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Unless they trade him, neither do I. 

Give up 3 picks to move up 1 spot. 

Is he REALLY that much better than Deshaun Watson (or whomever the next QB taken)?

The 49ers gained 3 picks and they guy they were probably going to draft anyway.

GB 

The Colts select S Malik Hooker out of Ohio State.

GB 

• Upvote 1

Ryan Pace just pushed all of his chips to the middle of the table. If Trubisky doesn't turn out to be a franchise QB, Pace won't survive.

11 hours ago, bobref said:

Ryan Pace just pushed all of his chips to the middle of the table. If Trubisky doesn't turn out to be a franchise QB, Pace won't survive.

wont survive anyway

1 hour ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

wont survive anyway

Why?

Not happy, still numb about it, but I get it in modern landscape of NFL.   GM's attach themselves to QB 1st and foremost.  Glennon bridge guy for at least 1 year is what Bears hope for and let this guy properly develop to their system instead of having to throw him to the wolves by week 6.   Again the hope of that outcome.   I stayed up to hear Pace's Presser and I get the rationale, but for us Bears folks, we are not used to seeing something as radical as that on draft day.  So Pace said F it, I LOVE THIS GUY, and if I am going to get fired eventually, I am not gonna get fired by signing Re-tread QBs or hoping you hit on one in the mid rounds (Dak Prescott would of been awful as a Bear last year, Dallas amazing OL and Premier Running, made Dak a media darling)  

If the draft is stocked full of D players as they say, i sure hope he can get back into the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds and nab SAFETY, CORNERS.   If Cam Robinson is their sitting 4th tonight, his name better be put on the card......Unless they have a SAFETY ovr on their big board rated higher.   If thats the case I can live with it.   I really wanted LSU's S at 3.    

I think after initial shock of it all, most locals are gonna understand at least it was something different, I am starting to come around to that, it was BOLD, which isn't typically Bears style 

27 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Why?

Not happy, still numb about it, but I get it in modern landscape of NFL.   GM's attach themselves to QB 1st and foremost.  Glennon bridge guy for at least 1 year is what Bears hope for and let this guy properly develop to their system instead of having to throw him to the wolves by week 6.   Again the hope of that outcome.   I stayed up to hear Pace's Presser and I get the rationale, but for us Bears folks, we are not used to seeing something as radical as that on draft day.  So Pace said F it, I LOVE THIS GUY, and if I am going to get fired eventually, I am not gonna get fired by signing Re-tread QBs or hoping you hit on one in the mid rounds (Dak Prescott would of been awful as a Bear last year, Dallas amazing OL and Premier Running, made Dak a media darling)  

If the draft is stocked full of D players as they say, i sure hope he can get back into the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds and nab SAFETY, CORNERS.   If Cam Robinson is their sitting 4th tonight, his name better be put on the card......Unless they have a SAFETY ovr on their big board rated higher.   If thats the case I can live with it.   I really wanted LSU's S at 3.    

I think after initial shock of it all, most locals are gonna understand at least it was something different, I am starting to come around to that, it was BOLD, which isn't typically Bears style 

I just dont think he is panning out w his ability to draft.  Besides Jordan Howard so far.  I am not sold on Floyd.

Again, this is the VERY limited I have watched of entire games.  Have watched numerous clips.

29 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Why?

Do you think "their system" will still be around next year?

I do not think John Fox (def oriented coach) will be the HC.    I would love to promote our DC Fangio however.   

I think I would continue to build around a strong running game like they attempted last year.   

Their system is not unique by any stretch, M.T. will need need to work his footwork under center first and foremost, work on NFL verbage to call plays, command the offense to get out of bad plays and into good plays at the L.O.S.    That is more what I meant by develop in their system, not necessarily being able to throw certain route concepts.  

Below is their Draft Classes, last 2 years:  Floyd had 7 sacks in 12 games.  Dealt with an injury .  Needs to get on good weight still and hopefully not missing entire training camp again and better health will see another jump.   But you also have stated many times you just do not like the NFL, do not watch the games, so I wouldn't be so quick to judge the Bears draft classes the last 2 years without knowing much about them with seeing your own two eyes from your own football coaching/fan/player perspective.   

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/draft.htm

Man. Oklahoma under stoops the last few years.....wow.  The character of some of his players (the RB drafted in round 3, the WR drafted by Jacksonville, the current QB)??????

id presume Ou isn't the only school that allows this. 

Riddick is awesome. Wish more folks in the NFL had this guys view on these troubled people. 

Continued reasons why I won't watch. 

I didn't once turn it to ESPN for any coverage.   Stayed with NFL Network.   I didn't see it live, but I want to give a great big THANK YOU to Mike Mayock for calling out his own producers/NFL as a whole for the stupidity of the the Orangutan picking for the colts.   

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/29/mike-mayock-doesnt-hide-his-contempt-for-drafts-circus-atmosphere/

http://thebiglead.com/2017/04/29/an-orangutan-made-a-draft-pick-and-mike-mayock-was-so-mad-he-threatened-to-walk-off-set/