• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Triton Central used it last year, and will be using it again this fall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woodlan used it last year and will continue too.  It was great to use...our defensive staff really benefited from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marian High School used it last fall and will be using it again this fall.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious:  Those who are using it:  How many folks are on your staff?   How many 2 way players ?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Curious:  Those who are using it:  How many folks are on your staff?   How many 2 way players ?  

I think at the 2A  we are looking at it as a way to make adjustments as a staff, not to allow for players to gather around the monitor and watch the last series.  A play can be starred and looked at during halftime or a series of plays.  Your coordinator upstairs can view plays while the other side of the ball is on the field.  A bigger school with one way players could gather around a monitor or tv on the sideline instead of the whiteboard.  I think this going to be big for many schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have an opinion on considering this tool to be an "arms race" and advantage vs underfunded, understaffed, or low turn out programs? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Yak said:

Does anyone have an opinion on considering this tool to be an "arms race" and advantage vs underfunded, understaffed, or low turn out programs? 

I think you could.  Hudl assist is a service that is provided also.  In my opinion, the Hudl Sideline is a game changer.  Hudl assist is not so much.  It is something that can be done by any staff with a little hard work and has been done by staffs for years.  The technology has changed it a bit.  I see Hudl sideline giving a distinct advantage to those that have it verses the teams that don't.  I would say a team with equal footing(talent, coaching, numbers, etc.) The team with sideline will have an edge.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ask because we will not be funding this because of our 6 man staff have multiple side of the ball responsibilities across the board.  We usually have anywhere from 6-8, two way players most years.  

What we do is I bring up a Middle School staff member and my Ipad.  He records the game on the Ipad as if we are gonna download it later.  He stands right next to me and if I or any of the 3 coaches on head set on the field want me to look at something I turn to him and get the clip cued up.   He has gotten pretty good at it going on year 4 I think and can show me right away what I was gonna be looking for anyways.   At the end of the night (but usually right before kick off of next game) I erase all those clips and start if over.  Gives us "replay" access right away on a limited basis for free.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I ask because we will not be funding this because of our 6 man staff have multiple side of the ball responsibilities across the board.  We usually have anywhere from 6-8, two way players most years.  

What we do is I bring up a Middle School staff member and my Ipad.  He records the game on the Ipad as if we are gonna download it later.  He stands right next to me and if I or any of the 3 coaches on head set on the field want me to look at something I turn to him and get the clip cued up.   He has gotten pretty good at it going on year 4 I think and can show me right away what I was gonna be looking for anyways.   At the end of the night (but usually right before kick off of next game) I erase all those clips and start if over.  Gives us "replay" access right away on a limited basis for free.   

What angle are you filming... LOS, behind the Off or Def, yours or opponent? Not sure I could see what I would want.

Bout 3 or 4 yrs ago we experimented with 2 -Ipads. 1 for Off and 1 for Def. Filmed from pressbox, had freshman runners switching them out with sideline between series. Didn't always need to look, but did help at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sideline only.   We just got our EZ camera last year   

Top of pressbox so where ever the action takes us.   We get by and get typical info we are looking for.  It usually, YES, HE DID TOO HOLD, so the lineman coach will then go and explain to the lineman telling his side of the story, but I have my side and its typically backed up by film.   :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advantages to Hudl Sideline

Ability to make in game adjustments with players on the sideline. 

Correct technique errors. Ex. Wrong routes, bad stance, blitzing the wrong gap, poor alignment on the field. 

Film to see at Half time

With the top two packages you get both angles intercut. 

Upload time after game. We had our entire game uploaded before the last player left the locker room. 

Easily matches up with tag a game. (If you don't have someone tagging a game during the game you Should!) We have all of stats done immediately after the game and our stats guys make corrections over the weekend.

Issues with Hudl Sideline 

You need at least 4 iPads or IOS devices large enough to see. 

The more two way players you have the less you can show them. About half of our players were two guys. Made it difficult to tell the QB and WR's what you are seeing when the QB is playing Safety. 

Filming with an iPad. The quality is not as good as a camera. We are upgrading the iPad we film with this year so we will see if this improves. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Triton Central is also using Hudl assist and we are paying for both through parent donations. We have a 5 man staff and I use Sideline quite a bit in game as the defensive coordinator especially when we see a new formation or wonder who missed what assignment and get it corrected by the next series. We usually have about 7-8 guys going both ways so I have to be quick in relaying adjustments. We have the streaming package hooked up to our main sideline camera and an iPad that we usually have a freshman or walking wounded control to record the stream. We also then have multiple iPads for viewing. Its also a great tool for our O and Dline to see what exactly is going on up front. 

Hudl assist has saved us a ton of time. Instead of spending hours inputting data, we are game planning and running reports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, qbcoach13 said:

Advantages to Hudl Sideline

Ability to make in game adjustments with players on the sideline. 

Correct technique errors. Ex. Wrong routes, bad stance, blitzing the wrong gap, poor alignment on the field. 

Film to see at Half time

With the top two packages you get both angles intercut. 

Upload time after game. We had our entire game uploaded before the last player left the locker room. 

Easily matches up with tag a game. (If you don't have someone tagging a game during the game you Should!) We have all of stats done immediately after the game and our stats guys make corrections over the weekend.

Issues with Hudl Sideline 

You need at least 4 iPads or IOS devices large enough to see. 

The more two way players you have the less you can show them. About half of our players were two guys. Made it difficult to tell the QB and WR's what you are seeing when the QB is playing Safety. 

Filming with an iPad. The quality is not as good as a camera. We are upgrading the iPad we film with this year so we will see if this improves. 

 

Filming does not need to be with an ipad....it is cheaper but you have a lesser quality.

21 minutes ago, TCfootball70 said:

Triton Central is also using Hudl assist and we are paying for both through parent donations. We have a 5 man staff and I use Sideline quite a bit in game as the defensive coordinator especially when we see a new formation or wonder who missed what assignment and get it corrected by the next series. We usually have about 7-8 guys going both ways so I have to be quick in relaying adjustments. We have the streaming package hooked up to our main sideline camera and an iPad that we usually have a freshman or walking wounded control to record the stream. We also then have multiple iPads for viewing. Its also a great tool for our O and Dline to see what exactly is going on up front. 

Hudl assist has saved us a ton of time. Instead of spending hours inputting data, we are game planning and running reports. 

Coach are you using assist for yourself and scouting?

Edited by punttheball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, punttheball said:

Filming does not need to be with an ipad....it is cheaper but you have a lesser quality.

Coach are you using assist for yourself and scouting?

Yes we are. It has streamlined our stats process immensely when we run it on our games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have Sky Coach and I hear the staff likes it a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, punttheball said:

How many are using Hudl Assist while we are talking about it.

I was able to get $400 to give it a spin and I will not be returning to it.  I found errors in every single game we turned in.  I can knock out full games in 45-60 mins time, so I will go back to breaking it down myself since I know it will be right and not have to go and fix the mistakes made and re run reports etc.   Except when we play WL and their 900 plays a game!!  

50 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

We have Sky Coach and I hear the staff likes it a lot.

Hudl became an exclusive partner with Glazier Clinics this past off season:  That did not set in well with Sky Coach.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, punttheball said:

I think you could.  Hudl assist is a service that is provided also.  In my opinion, the Hudl Sideline is a game changer.  Hudl assist is not so much.  It is something that can be done by any staff with a little hard work and has been done by staffs for years.  The technology has changed it a bit.  I see Hudl sideline giving a distinct advantage to those that have it verses the teams that don't.  I would say a team with equal footing(talent, coaching, numbers, etc.) The team with sideline will have an edge.

Mainly talking Hudl sideline. NFL protocol, if one team loses communications, both teams are required to no longer use them until the other teams is fixed for competition fairness.

Curious how this is viewed by the IHSAA? Plus tieing it in to percentage of Private/Parochial schools using advanced technology vs Public schools?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Yak said:

Mainly talking Hudl sideline. NFL protocol, if one team loses communications, both teams are required to no longer use them until the other teams is fixed for competition fairness.

Curious how this is viewed by the IHSAA? Plus tieing it in to percentage of Private/Parochial schools using advanced technology vs Public schools?

There is a similar rule in high school, but it only applies if the communication for both teams is supplied by the host school/stadium. If each team has their own, then the rule does not apply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Irishman said:

There is a similar rule in high school, but it only applies if the communication for both teams is supplied by the host school/stadium. If each team has their own, then the rule does not apply.

I'll keep that rule in mind when we make our first state finals appearance. Lol

Was thinking more of opinions or discussion type debates from IHSAA vs actual rule implementation or enforcement. More so just how far technology has come and when it becomes an advantage for those that can afford it or choose to embrace it. 

Really don't want to show up at a youth league game seeing coaches with headsets on. Lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be working on a wing this season, and I am eagerly looking forward to the first time a coach shoves an iPad in front of me and says "look how they're holding our defensive end!"

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bobref said:

I will be working on a wing this season, and I am eagerly looking forward to the first time a coach shoves an iPad in front of me and says "look how they're holding our defensive end!"

Coach Smith (holding up iPad and standing to the left of HL):  "Hey Coach Miller!  Look how bad they are holding our end!!!"

Coach Miller (standing to right of HL):  "Thats crazy!!! How do they keep missing that?!?!?"

:13:

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, US 31 said:

Coach Smith (holding up iPad and standing to the left of HL):  "Hey Coach Miller!  Look how bad they are holding our end!!!"

Coach Miller (standing to right of HL):  "Thats crazy!!! How do they keep missing that?!?!?"

:13:

 

I've been hearing that for 40 years. Don't need any iPad.  :02:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So on the Hudl Assist what schools have used it and liked it? I feel like an undermanned staff would be able to maximize game plan time when you do not have to tag plays. What do you think is good and bad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.