• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Jones

New Turf In 2017?

The Brownstown Central school board announced that a turf football field and a 8 lane track will be included in our 2018 building project.

• Upvote 6

CB3d_faUIAAUIaV.jpg:large

That's my dude's field in California,  Clayton Valley.   Black Turf!!    

17 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I bet this is really "fun" to play on in August/September with high temperatures. *Gulp*

believe it or not, it is cooler to use the black field from what he told me as the field absorbs and traps the sun's heat instead of bouncing it off the turf .  

Bhss Panthers are getting new carpet. They  had turf done in 2007 but this year they get new carpet i guess the first one was wore down. I noticed iu changes theirs every 10 years or close to it. 

On 5/10/2017 at 8:33 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Is this Luns homefield?

Southmont is putting it in this summer. They join Crawfordsville and Danville as SAC schools with turf.

On 5/15/2017 at 9:57 AM, MuleDriver said:

Bhss Panthers are getting new carpet. They  had turf done in 2007 but this year they get new carpet i guess the first one was wore down. I noticed iu changes theirs every 10 years or close to it. 

Carpet? I know you don't mean that.  Carpet went away awhile ago. Too many injuries and burns.  Rubber is what is being used now until they invent something better.

On 6/3/2017 at 1:35 PM, Staxawax said:

Carpet? I know you don't mean that.  Carpet went away awhile ago. Too many injuries and burns.  Rubber is what is being used now until they invent something better.

New 'turf' whatever they use i am not sure what material the fake grass is. All i  know about it is they spread the black rubber pellets out over it  They are installing new  'turf' the turf foundation was already there for those who did not know bhss went from grass to artificial playing surface 10 years ago (2007) .

As mentioned before, Mississinewa is changing from grass to turf as well as a new track surface at Fisher Field.  Here is an updated photo of the new turf.  

Fisher Field New Turf.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 6/15/2017 at 3:04 PM, OleMissDad said:

As mentioned before, Mississinewa is changing from grass to turf as well as a new track surface at Fisher Field.  Here is an updated photo of the new turf.  

Fisher Field New Turf.jpg

Nice! Can't wait for opening kickoff!

sidenote to Jennings Co... please step into the 21st Century 

• Upvote 1

Indy Lutheran will be on their new field for the first time tonight with an 11v11 against Milan.

20170719_173237.jpg

20170719_173245.jpg

20170719_173254.jpg

• Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:04 AM, JCPantherFan86 said:

Nice! Can't wait for opening kickoff!

sidenote to Jennings Co... please step into the 21st Century 

Great job Ole Miss that leave's Madison Grant as the only school in Grant county with grass. Lets go MG we need to update facilities!

Posted (edited)

jasper turf is in, track is next and should be done by the first game. joe rohleder field at jerry brewer alumni stadium. private donor that wants to remain anonymous.....we have a good idea of whom it is, prominent family that had numerous sons that have played from what i have heard.Big-Field.jpg

Edited by jhswildcat79aks
doofishness
  • Upvote 2

Oh for the days of well maintained grass fields.....  .... 

• Upvote 3

I thought the EACS high schools (Leo, Woodland, Heritage, New Haven) were all getting turf - Has that been pushed back or taken off the table ?

10 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

I too enjoy the well maintained grass playing surfaces. I always thought in NWI, NJSP had one of the nicest, if not the nicest, well maintained grass playing surfaces. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

I too enjoy the well maintained grass playing surfaces. I always thought in NWI, NJSP had one of the nicest, if not the nicest, well maintained grass playing surfaces. 

I still argue  that maintaining a grass surface is not more expensive.  i mean what is it to install turf. The process done the first time is 500,000 or more. ten years down the road you have to replace the carpet which isn't as expensive since the foundation was laid during the initial installation . So  in my estimation you are talking several decades before you can say your saving money.  In 20 years you would have  had to pay a guy to maintain a grass  field 25,000 or better (since i don't know what the carpet replacement cost  is after ten years ) a year to equal the cost of artificial  . How many acres is a grass field  2, or 3 at the most? If i were to go down and get an estimate from trugreen chemlawn for a piece of grass the size of a football field i am having difficulty believing they are gonna charge you 25,000 a year to make it  nice and lush.  Does a sprinkler system really run you thousands a year ....... ? Maybe where it doesn't rain . Sprinkler systems done correctly shouldn't need repaired every 2-4 years.    

Edit- The argument is that you can let the field be used for other purposes. Youth league games middle school games band practice etc etc.  and it won't wear down like grass would. Youth league games surely don't put much wear and tear on a natural surface. the kids don't weigh more than a buck fifty in most cases.  Most middle schools in my area have their own fields 'Use them' !  Band practice  get outta here . The band at my high school practiced on the baseball field . Semi pro teams ............ how many even exist anymore.......?

Edited by MuleDriver
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

Like the one at Roy Williams Field in Linton!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

Edit- The argument is that you can let the field be used for other purposes. Youth league games middle school games band practice etc etc.  and it won't wear down like grass would. Youth league games surely don't put much wear and tear on a natural surface. the kids don't weigh more than a buck fifty in most cases.  Most middle schools in my area have their own fields 'Use them' !  Band practice  get outta here . The band at my high school practiced on the baseball field . Semi pro teams ............ how many even exist anymore.......?

You would be very suprised at how much youth games can wear down a natural grass field, especially in the middle of the field between the numbers. Our youth used to use the main football field every Saturday, by the end of the year, the entire middle of the football field was DIRT. We built a practice field and the youth now play on that, and it is DIRT by the end of the year. Our football field is in pretty good shape now by the end of the year with only the Middle School and High School teams playing on it.

I saw a band destroy a field on a rainy night several years ago.  

A major problem natural grass fields have in the Midwest is the growing season is winding down in September meaning the grass doesn't repair itself through growth as would occur in the middle of the summer.   

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Butter Bean said:

I saw a band destroy a field on a rainy night several years ago.  

A major problem natural grass fields have in the Midwest is the growing season is winding down in September meaning the grass doesn't repair itself through growth as would occur in the middle of the summer.   

9 hours ago, WCGrad92 said:

You would be very suprised at how much youth games can wear down a natural grass field, especially in the middle of the field between the numbers. Our youth used to use the main football field every Saturday, by the end of the year, the entire middle of the football field was DIRT. We built a practice field and the youth now play on that, and it is DIRT by the end of the year. Our football field is in pretty good shape now by the end of the year with only the Middle School and High School teams playing on it.

Does the team also practice there? Do saturday youth games alone wear it down to dirt? i have a hard time with that one..   However yeah i have seen some bad bad  natural surface fields in my life. but if we again average out the costs . i would gladly take a 20 year contract for 3 or 4 fields for 25,000 a year which is what the average is for turf for 20 years . heck lets say 30 years the average only goes down to 16,666.00$  and that is without the cost to replace the carpet every decade. I seriously would start my own football field maintenance company actually i am mulling it over in the backburner now. anyone want a business partner ?  

Another probably more important aspect is player safety. It is a fact that natural grass is easier on knees and joints.   Rant over. I felt the need to   support natural fields i do it every year at this time.......

I would challenge you on the comment it's easier on "knees and joints".   I know coaches who say they have far fewer feet and ankle problems on turf than grass.