• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
Coach Nowlin

Who Misses the Jamboree? I do

Thoughts?   Who remembers the jamboree's in the 90s?   

I find the controlled scrimmage has served its purpose but feel strongly its time to look into getting the jamboree band back together.  I will hang up the phone and listen 

• Upvote 4

I thought jamborees are still an option?

I don't like either one, honestly, outside of the fact that our kids get to hit someone from another team after a couple weeks of just practicing.

• Upvote 1

We have (my AD and I) discussed the potential of a jamboree and its merits.  However, as the rules are currently constituted, having a jamboree would count as an actual game and would have to replace one of the current nine on our schedule.  

I never played in a jamboree, so obviously I have never coached in one.  I hate the scrimmage and would love to see the jamboree come back!

Why not just make the scrimmage into a game? Giving everyone a ten game schedule. Since it does not matter what your record is in Indiana to make the playoffs. I would rather see our team out there trying to win a game then these so called scrimmages. 

• Upvote 4

Refreshing my memory......

Did each team get 2 quarters?

If so, when I was in HS, it was VERY difficult for every kid to get playing time in the Jamboree format.

My sophomore and junior years (93 and 94) we played in the Munster Jamboree.  In both years, we played munster and highland.  Never did we play Bishop Noll.

My senior year (95) was the initial scrimmage format.  We played at Valpo.

This is before Lake Central joined the DAC.

Well, I coached when the Jamborees  started and I enjoyed them as it was finally real game action.  BUT, we couldn't get everyone into the jamboree liked we wanted so then we added a JV jamboree.  Which left the freshman out.  So we combined the jv/frosh together.  Then, you would have one team hold the ball for most of the quarter and you would get very little offense.  Then you had to worry about your starting field position from what the other school left you.  I then learned from my college friends about their scrimmage structure.  Indiana then moved to that type of format.  I really enjoy the scrimmage format better.  I would like to see some changes made such as letting the schools dictate how the scrimmage is going to be held.  Make it more of actual game, 4 downs and punt or get a 1st down.  Leave the kicking out of the game.  After 4 downs move the ball 35 to 40 yards the other way for the other team.  There are a lot of things we could look at to improve on the same thing we have been doing for years.  Enough said.  Just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Refreshing my memory......

Did each team get 2 quarters?

If so, when I was in HS, it was VERY difficult for every kid to get playing time in the Jamboree format.

My sophomore and junior years (93 and 94) we played in the Munster Jamboree.  In both years, we played munster and highland.  Never did we play Bishop Noll.

My senior year (95) was the initial scrimmage format.  We played at Valpo.

This is before Lake Central joined the DAC.

Yes, each team played 2 qtrs, no kickoff or kickoff returns if memory serves correctly, My senior year, 95 as well, was the first year of the scrimmage plus the jamboree. We (Mishawaka) scrimmaged Concord after the first week of camp and hosted our jamboree which included 2 state champions; Penn, SB St Joe, Mishawaka Marian, Warsaw, Elk. Memorial, and Mishawaka. I always loved it as a player and fan. Huge crowds, you can watch the other teams play while waiting to play. As a coach I'm sure it's hard to get everyone involved, especially the JV guys. 

5 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I find the controlled scrimmage has served its purpose but feel strongly its time to look into getting the jamboree band back together.  I will hang up the phone and listen 

Who remembers the jamborees of the 90's......c'mon man, the jamborees predate the 90's by a longshot.

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I went to my first one in 1965. Westfield, Sheridan, Jackson Central and Carmel. Jim Belden was the Westfield HC.

Edited by Gonzoron
  • Upvote 4

Again, as an official ...  The Jamboree is much more "educational" to us than the current format.  

9 hours ago, wolves on the prowl said:

Yes, each team played 2 qtrs, no kickoff or kickoff returns if memory serves correctly, My senior year, 95 as well, was the first year of the scrimmage plus the jamboree. We (Mishawaka) scrimmaged Concord after the first week of camp and hosted our jamboree which included 2 state champions; Penn, SB St Joe, Mishawaka Marian, Warsaw, Elk. Memorial, and Mishawaka. I always loved it as a player and fan. Huge crowds, you can watch the other teams play while waiting to play. As a coach I'm sure it's hard to get everyone involved, especially the JV guys. 

Then incorporate the Scrimmage format to the JV players exclusively on a Monday night.....  Have the Jamboree on Friday or the previous Saturday night.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

Again, as an official ...  The Jamboree is much more "educational" to us than the current format.  

Then incorporate the Scrimmage format to the JV players exclusively on a Monday night.....  Have the Jamboree on Friday or the previous Saturday night.

I would agree with this. The scrimmages have turned into basically a controlled scrimmage. As the R it's impossible for me to do much of anything with coaches in the way. I'm sure the BJ's are in the same boat. And from what I can see, the coaches largely just want to get the scrimmage over with. There are exceptions to that rule, but that's kind of what I see. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I would agree with this. The scrimmages have turned into basically a controlled scrimmage. As the R it's impossible for me to do much of anything with coaches in the way. I'm sure the BJ's are in the same boat. And from what I can see, the coaches largely just want to get the scrimmage over with. There are exceptions to that rule, but that's kind of what I see. 

That is literally what IHSAA calls it, Controlled Scrimmage.   

• Upvote 1

I would never replace the scrimmage with the jamboree.  In high school we were a running team with a good defense. We played under 10 plays of defense the whole night.  It was fun to get together and see other teams you may play throughout the year.  I feel the scrimmage is much better from a preparation standpoint. Boring as can be for the fans, because its practice.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

That is literally what IHSAA calls it, Controlled Scrimmage.   

Poor wording on my part, they've become a little more than controlled in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

Down here a lot of schools do a controlled scrimmage for maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of the time, and then will play a live 12 minute quarter.  Kickoffs are optional and at the discretion of the coaches.  I like that format.  Combines both scenarios together.  Not all schools do both, and some only for the 2nd scrimmage (typically have two on the schedule) but it's the rule more than the exception down here.

Since you mention 'more than controlled' - I saw a HS coach stand behind the huddle with a whistle if the QB got in trouble he would blow the play dead.

This was maybe 5-10 years ago and the QB was potentially a fringe D1 type player.  I just thought it was odd that the coach didn't just ask for a quick whistle, but basically told the white hat he would protect the QB.

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Since you mention 'more than controlled' - I saw a HS coach stand behind the huddle with a whistle if the QB got in trouble he would blow the play dead.

This was maybe 5-10 years ago and the QB was potentially a fringe D1 type player.  I just thought it was odd that the coach didn't just ask for a quick whistle, but basically told the white hat he would protect the QB.

Years ago I worked the Spring game at Notre Dame, when Bob Davie was the head coach and their QB was Jarious Jackson. We had 8 officials, one of whom had a single job: stand next to Jackson and blow the whistle if anyone got close to him. So what happened? Jackson threw a sideline pass that bounced off the receiver's hands and was intercepted. What do you think Jackson did? That's right. He took off at a sprint, ran all the way to the far sideline and drilled the DB who was running back the interception. My heart was literally up around my tonsils until he got up and walked away, with no ill effects.

The scrimmages are, or are supposed to be, strictly limited in their format ... by the IHSAA. There are only 2 formats: one includes some kicking, and one does not. The IHSAA requires that licensed officials preside over the scrimmages, and that absolutely no departures from the prescribed format be permitted. The only deviation permitted is to shorten the scrimmage, or a series, by agreement of the schools.

Has anyone within recent memory elected to have a jamboree instead of a game? Would it be possible to have a jamboree at the end of the season instead of at the beginning?

55 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Has anyone within recent memory elected to have a jamboree instead of a game? Would it be possible to have a jamboree at the end of the season instead of at the beginning?

What?  Why would they?  How?  Huh?

Every time this topic comes up there are coaches that reply about the scrimmage being a better tool for coaches but the question I have is now that more is allowed before the official 1st day of practice including 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 is this something that's still needed ??

The Jamboree was more enjoyable as a fan and you got to see 3 future conference opponents. I remember the PAC Jamborees in the 80s had 4 teams and you normally played the 1st and 3rd quarter or 2nd and 4th quarter and played 2 different teams, If I remember correctly the SIAC also had 4 teams but each played a entire half against 1 team. 

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 6:18 PM, Gonzoron said:

I went to my first one in 1965. Westfield, Sheridan, Jackson Central and Carmel. Jim Belden was the Westfield HC.

Jackson Central....theres a name I haven't seen fer awhile...them and Walnut Grove combined the next year to form Hamilton Heights I believe. Westfield, Sheridan and JC were very small schools back then...what they playin Carmel for...lol

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

Jackson Central....theres a name I haven't seen fer awhile...them and Walnut Grove combined the next year to form Hamilton Heights I believe. Westfield, Sheridan and JC were very small schools back then...what they playin Carmel for...lol

Carmel wasn't very big either. Sleepy little town in '65

Can't find the census figures for 1965, but in 1960, Carmel population was 1,442, and in 1970 it was 6,691. By 1980 it was 18,272

Noblesville was 7,664 in 1960 and 7,548 in 1970.

1970-74 is about when the Hamilton County 'boom' began.

Edited by Gonzoron
  • Upvote 1