• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff

Anybody else have their Semi-State opponent last year in their Sectional this year?

• Upvote 1

Slept on it. I've come to the conclusion that it's not going to change...might as well just enjoy it for what it is.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

That's what I said 2 years ago when New Palestine got put into a sectional with Columbus East despite being a substantially better fit in the Indianapolis sectional. We ended up splitting the 2 sectional meetings & winner went to Lucas Oil. You play the teams in front of you, and there are going to be marquee matchups early in every class because of geography (especially in 6A), but there are always a few eye-openers in the opening round. 

Edited by crimsonace1
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, npatman said:

Anybody else have their Semi-State opponent last year in their Sectional this year?

We played Concordia in the 3A north Semistate last year, and now we are in the same sectional.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Dan Jones said:

Who's happy? 

6A-  Brownsburg, Avon, Fishers, HSE, Southport

5A- Zionsville, New Pal (both should be throwing a party for getting into the north), Columbus East, Bloomington South

4A- NorthWood, Greenwood, Beech Grove, Mt. Vernon, East Central (might be the worst sectional in any class in the state)

3A-  West Lafayette, Brebeuf, Guerin Catholic, Chatard, Ritter, Danville, Tri-West, Monrovia

2A- Shenandoah, Tipton,

A-  Sheridan, Howe, Lutheran,

Who's not happy?

6A-  Anyone in the north that sees Carmel is still there, Westfield, Ben Davis, Warren Central, Lawrence North, Lawrence Central

5A- Decatur Central, Roncalli, Cathedral.

4A-  Hobart

3A-  Indian Creek,

2A-  Renssalaer, Linton, Mater Dei

A-  LCC, Pioneer,

I would say Webo is happy with the 2A sectional alignment.  

Posted (edited)

Tipton is in a winnable Sectional but still in shock that they sent us South. Guess it will be cool playing some different teams but none of these schools are very close to us. There's about 10+ 2A schools within a half hour that aren't in our Sectional.

Edited by Fballfan15

Looks like an E/W snake split instead of N/S zig zag.  

I was surprised to see Eastbrook and not Tipton in ours, but with the up and down of some enrollments/SF sometimes you get all new alignments.  Its exciting to look at it and see a whole lot different names and all new sectional numbers for us.    

Another idea...
Sectional 5-BD, Avon, Brownsburg, Pike

Sectional 6-HSE, Fishers, NC, WC

Sectional 7-Perry, Southport, LN, LC

Sectional 8-CG, FC, Jeffersonville, Columbus North

14 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

First of all, this is my opinion and mine only. It doesn't represent the opinion of anyone other than me.

Did the Onion do these?

Listen, Ben Davis would play Warren most years in some place in the state tournament, so it's not about the opponent.  How on Earth is it right for BD and Avon or BD and Brownsburg to play each other in the Semi-State rather than the Sectional?  

It wasn't going to be easy to align these Sectionals...but the South Semi-State Sectionals are LAUGHABLY aligned.  

Agreed. BD/WC winner might be in the championship game every year. And Sectional 7 will probably be an annual Avon/Bburg shootout to see who plays CG.  You've got 3 school districts that border each other (maybe 4 not sure about Pike) and they split them up? 

10 hours ago, Dan Jones said:

2A-  Rensselaer, Linton, Mater Dei

Other than some longer bus rides then normal for a sectional, we are not 'unhappy'     Playing in the Hoosier conference for many years now we are used to travelling, Tipton Sheridan trips were 1:50- 2 hours depending on bus driver/65 traffic.   So if we have to go to Kokomo area or Marion so be it, been down those roads many times over the years.  

Why do you think we would be unhappy?   

I don't think Pioneer is upset

We know full well to get to the can we have to go thru 9th street in Lafayette 

i just know last two regional games with them were epic in front of big crowds

somebody has to think of the gates, and I guess that's me

57 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Another idea...
Sectional 5-BD, Avon, Brownsburg, Pike

Sectional 6-HSE, Fishers, NC, WC

Sectional 7-Perry, Southport, LN, LC

Sectional 8-CG, FC, Jeffersonville, Columbus North

Another idea I had looking at the map...

Sectional 5 - Avon, Brownsburg, North Central, Pike

Sectional 6 - Fishers, HSE, LC, LN

Sectional 7 - Ben Davis, Perry Meridian, Southport, Warren Central

Sectional 8 - CG, Columbus North, Franklin Central, Jeffersonville

Even though this still puts Ben Davis and Warren Central together, it keeps Pike over to the west with Avon/Brownsburg, and puts the Lawrence Township Schools with Hamilton Southeastern Schools. It works nicer geographically (at least to me looking at a map), like the schools fit/make sense going clockwise around 465 starting with I-69/465 East

2 hours ago, Fballfan15 said:

Tipton is in a winnable Sectional but still in shock that they sent us South. Guess it will be cool playing some different teams but none of these schools are very close to us. There's about 10+ 2A schools within a half hour that aren't in our Sectional.

Western Boone will be tough this year... and their schedule is tough... 1-1A, 0-2A, 5-3A, 2-4A, 1-5A... Webo brings back quite a bit in skill positions.... They will be quick.

What does Tipton have coming back?  I believe North Putnam should be decent as well.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, npatman said:

As someone who follows the EIAC, it's not surprising that they've split up the EIAC.  Rushville has split from Gburg/Batesville before. I think they like to give teams around the area a 'break' from playing the Indy Catholic schools every alignment. I would expect the 3a eiac teams of the world to be back in Chatard's sectional in '19, but it was inevitable that they were going down south. Lawrenceburg would rather travel to Brownstown than to Hamilton Heights again.  

Edited by Canoe Fest Charlie

11 hours ago, Dan Jones said:

Who's happy? 

6A-  Brownsburg, Avon, Fishers, HSE, Southport

5A- Zionsville, New Pal (both should be throwing a party for getting into the north), Columbus East, Bloomington South

4A- NorthWood, Greenwood, Beech Grove, Mt. Vernon, East Central (might be the worst sectional in any class in the state)

3A-  West Lafayette, Brebeuf, Guerin Catholic, Chatard, Ritter, Danville, Tri-West, Monrovia

2A- Shenandoah, Tipton,

A-  Sheridan, Howe, Lutheran,

Who's not happy?

6A-  Anyone in the north that sees Carmel is still there, Westfield, Ben Davis, Warren Central, Lawrence North, Lawrence Central

5A- Decatur Central, Roncalli, Cathedral.

4A-  Hobart

3A-  Indian Creek,

2A-  Renssalaer, Linton, Mater Dei

A-  LCC, Pioneer,

I would assume Western Boone is extremely happy.  Northview could have some terrible travel ahead.

11 hours ago, Dan Jones said:

Westfield not unhappy..... We love and accept the challenge. It will be an adjustment, but Iron sharpens Iron!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Staxawax said:

Agreed. BD/WC winner might be in the championship game every year. And Sectional 7 will probably be an annual Avon/Bburg shootout to see who plays CG.  You've got 3 school districts that border each other (maybe 4 not sure about Pike) and they split them up? 

The entire western border of Pike's district is shared with Brownsburg. 

But it's clear the IHSAA tried as hard as possible to 1) keep county rivals together (thus, Avon/Brownsburg together) and 2) keep schools in multi-school districts together (HSE/Fishers, LC/LN, Southport/Perry, and in lower classes, Elkhart Central/Memorial, Frankton/Lapel, Morristown/Waldron in hoops). In the Indy area, that basically made Pike, North Central, Warren Central & BD the wild cards to be fit in with the LC/LN, Avon/Brownsburg & Southport/Perry duos. 

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Other than some longer bus rides then normal for a sectional, we are not 'unhappy'     Playing in the Hoosier conference for many years now we are used to travelling, Tipton Sheridan trips were 1:50- 2 hours depending on bus driver/65 traffic.   So if we have to go to Kokomo area or Marion so be it, been down those roads many times over the years.  

Why do you think we would be unhappy?   

I don't think they were just talking about the bus ride.  It might have to do with the competition at the end of that drive.  Should be interesting!!

A little travel time was well received the last two years over in west central Indiana.  Sectional 47 is back to being all conference schools, which is a shame in my eyes.  

17 minutes ago, pantherpride said:

I don't think they were just talking about the bus ride.  It might have to do with the competition at the end of that drive.  Should be interesting!!

What is the outlook in Panther land.  Had a great run to Lucas Oil last year.  Are the pieces in place for another run? Rebuilding? If players develop, could be fun?

How do you guys think Knox will do with the move up and the opponents they face in their sectional(27)?

Posted (edited)

Not to promising. 3 above 500 seasons in last 22 years since 1994. Current schedule 8 1A schools and 1 3A school.

Edited by jmills

1 hour ago, pantherpride said:

I am sure the Bombers will do the best they can to compete at the "end of the drive"

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Football Mania said:

How do you guys think Knox will do with the move up and the opponents they face in their sectional(27)?

I have to think Knox will struggle in 3A since they aren't playing that level of competition during the season.  Glenn is the only team on their schedule that is not 1A.  Knox is definitely showing improvement the last couple of years, but I don't see them winning a 3A sectional in the foreseeable future.

We are excited to defend out 2a state title, granted that was 2 years ago, but first time since that 2014 state title that we are back in our little 2a home.   

We have played Cass here and there in middle/JV ball last few years.   Used to play Delphi every year, so familiarity there.  

Eastern, Taylor, Eastbrook, Oak Hill I do not believe in my 15 years coaching at RCHS we have played them in any capacity.   Rochester we played in an epic 2001 1st round sectional game where we won 7-0 at Rochester, I was film guy in college at that point.  We used to play JV ball, but that was about 7-8 years ago now.   Lots of Love for the Zebras, our Region 4 friends.