• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff

4 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

We are excited to defend out 2a state title, granted that was 2 years ago, but first time since that 2014 state title that we are back in our little 2a home.   

We have played Cass here and there in middle/JV ball last few years.   Used to play Delphi every year, so familiarity there.  

Eastern, Taylor, Eastbrook, Oak Hill I do not believe in my 15 years coaching at RCHS we have played them in any capacity.   Rochester we played in an epic 2001 1st round sectional game where we won 7-0 at Rochester, I was film guy in college at that point.  We used to play JV ball, but that was about 7-8 years ago now.   Lots of Love for the Zebras, our Region 4 friends.  

I feel this is a great sectional for all involved.  Not sure why Wabash got skipped over in this group...but still going to be fun.  Few old MIC teams back...Delphi and Rennsselaer will be exciting and we have had some great battles with Oak Hill, Eastbrook, and Rochester also.  This will be a new look with an old time feel.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, punttheball said:

I feel this is a great sectional for all involved.  Not sure why Wabash got skipped over in this group...but still going to be fun.  Few old MIC teams back...Delphi and Rennsselaer will be exciting and we have had some great battles with Oak Hill, Eastbrook, and Rochester also.  This will be a new look with an old time feel.

Couldn't agree more!!!   

11 minutes ago, punttheball said:

I second your sentiments! Some outstanding programs and great to see some new faces. Jasper County is a beautiful place to visit in the Fall! Looking forward to some new rivalries.

Can't say I'm surprised to see Linton ended up in sectional 40.

Kinda ironic though - Linton upgraded its schedule to add Southridge (opening game) and now they're in the same sectional

• Upvote 1

The drive from Angola to Culver must suck.

2 hours ago, punttheball said:

I haven't been at Eastbrook long, came here in 2008.  We used to have Rochester on our schedule, and that was enough of a drive for me!  After playing Whiting in the semi-state last season, I realized what a hurdle a long drive can be for teams!  As for Eastbrook football this year, we lost four senior starters from last year.  I think that replacing them may be a little problematic, but there is a lot of talent coming up!  This should be an exciting team to watch!  I look forward to this season and the opportunity to face some new teams in the tournament.  I can't wait!

How are the other teams in this sectional looking this season??

7 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Other than some longer bus rides then normal for a sectional, we are not 'unhappy'     Playing in the Hoosier conference for many years now we are used to travelling, Tipton Sheridan trips were 1:50- 2 hours depending on bus driver/65 traffic.   So if we have to go to Kokomo area or Marion so be it, been down those roads many times over the years.  

Why do you think we would be unhappy?   

Just looking at the teams in the sectionals, I'd rather be in 33 then 35.  Much rather be there.  That's why I thought RCHS wouldn't be all that happy with their sectional.

To CrimsonAce...5A certainly did not go as you thought in the south.  I thought this was a good opportunity for the IHSAA to finally split up Cathedral and Roncalli.  There were several ways they could have done this and it would have worked well geographically. Heck I think you could have made an argument that they could have easily sent Cathedral north.  But not surprised at all that they managed to put these 2 together. I think its somewhere in the organization by-laws.

They did manage to send Brebeuf north (even with Broad Ripple and Chatard farther north geographically) but that sectional is a weird one to begin with.  Blackford feels completely out of place here.

I completely understand what they did in 6A and likely why they did it.  Shake things up a bit and give some teams (like Avon and Fishers/HSE for example) a better sectional, after being in a rough spot for a few cycles.  You know there are folks who do this, that look at those things.  Even if they say they don't.

I think its wrong that Castle is again in a 4 team sectional.  You shouldn't be allowed to be in a 4 team sectional, for 2 straight cycles in 5A, if at all possible.  They could have done it differently (with the distance between the 2 TH's and Bedford and New Albany being virtually the same) and made 16 a 5 teamer this time. 

I see the ishaa made sure at lest one sectional would not have a MIC champion 

1 hour ago, Dan Jones said:

To CrimsonAce...5A certainly did not go as you thought in the south.  I thought this was a good opportunity for the IHSAA to finally split up Cathedral and Roncalli.  There were several ways they could have done this and it would have worked well geographically. Heck I think you could have made an argument that they could have easily sent Cathedral north.  But not surprised at all that they managed to put these 2 together. I think its somewhere in the organization by-laws.

It went pretty close to what I thought it would in the north. I was one of the few that saw the Greenfield-Central/New Pal/Anderson/Muncie Central sectional, and it made sense as those 2 pairings (two NCC teams geographically close, two Hancock County teams in neighboring districts, creating a simple quadrant) were a natural fit together, and that would also create a Marion County sectional with Tech/Cathedral/Roncalli/Decatur Central. 

It's pretty clear the IHSAA tries to keep natural rivals together in the sectional, which is why Avon/Brownsburg were kept together instead of being split in 6A and paired with Southport/Perry. It's also why Cathedral/Roncalli tend to stay together. There might have been a "good opportunity" to split Cathedral and Roncalli, but it's not likely going to happen. 

13 hours ago, BigTimeDB said:

I would say Webo is happy with the 2A sectional alignment.  

Anyone in the north that sees Carmel is still there,

Snider will be more than happy to play them

• Upvote 2

Lot of stuff can be questioned, but Ben Davis in that sectional is one of biggest head scratchers. I agree its obvious this time especially the committee threw out geograohical sense and went with forms of rivalries.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Olympian99 said:

Lot of stuff can be questioned, but Ben Davis in that sectional is one of biggest head scratchers. I agree its obvious this time especially the committee threw out geograohical sense and went with forms of rivalries.

I think its pretty easy to figure.

Ben Davis has had 2 Hendricks County schools and 0-10 Pike in their sectional.  Avon had the one really strong year but year-in, year-out, they aren't beating Ben Davis.  In other words, BD's had a "easy" ride to the regional.

Now Avon and Brownsburg get the break, away from BD for a cycle.  And BD gets Warren Central for 2 years. 

Geography played no part in it. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

It's pretty clear the IHSAA tries to keep natural rivals together in the sectional, which is why Avon/Brownsburg were kept together instead of being split in 6A and paired with Southport/Perry. It's also why Cathedral/Roncalli tend to stay together. There might have been a "good opportunity" to split Cathedral and Roncalli, but it's not likely going to happen. 

Why Cathedral and Roncalli continue to be forced together, I think has very little to do with being "rivals" (even though they haven't played in a decade).  They aren't going to be split for 'other reasons'.  Roncalli is closer to Whiteland and Decatur Central, then they are Cathedral geographically.  Are they considered "rivals" because they have both been successful in football and because neither is a public school? (and yes I know the long history between the 2 schools but those days are long over).   We know (at least we think we know) that we can see how the IHSAA splits up some sectionals and moves successful programs around.  They did it with the Marion County schools in 3A this year.  They may not ever admit it but I think we know there is a component to this thinking.  Especially depending on who (and what school they represent) is on the committee to put these things together.

The simple fact is that Cathedral is MUCH closer to both New Pal and Greenfield Central (20 miles for both) then Zionsville is (Zville is twice as far to both NP and GC).  Cathedral is closer by 10 miles to Muncie Central then Z-ville is.  Much closer to Anderson as well.  Zionsville is within 20 miles of all schools in Sectional 13.  So are we cutting this by how north a school is?  Because Sectional 12 is as much a East-Central sectional as it is a Northeast sectional.  Zionsville isn't either. 

Zionsville should be in Sectional 13 with the other 3 teams they've been in that sectional with the past 2 years and Roncalli (who plays 2 of the 4 schools in this sectional during the regular season). Cathedral should be in 12.  Heck I'd guess several of the players on Cathedral's roster have addresses in Hancock County.  They should be with NP, GC, Anderson (who they've been in a sectional with before) and Muncie Central.  That would make much more sense to me.

But I'd guess one of the first drafts of sectionals had Cathedral and Roncalli together, and they'd figure out the rest around that.  Now we'll wait until October to see if they draw each other in Round 1.  Again.

Edited by Dan Jones

13 hours ago, Dan Jones said:

They did manage to send Brebeuf north (even with Broad Ripple and Chatard farther north geographically) but that sectional is a weird one to begin with.  Blackford feels completely out of place here.

Just to clarify Broad Ripple and Bishop Chatard are not farther North Geographically than Brebeuf Jesuit. Brebeuf Jesuit is on the south side of 86th street. Broad Ripple (Broad Ripple Avenue) and Chatard (Kessler Blvd) are both South of 64th Street.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dan Jones said:

I think its pretty easy to figure.

Ben Davis has had 2 Hendricks County schools and 0-10 Pike in their sectional.  Avon had the one really strong year but year-in, year-out, they aren't beating Ben Davis.  In other words, BD's had a "easy" ride to the regional.

Now Avon and Brownsburg get the break, away from BD for a cycle.  And BD gets Warren Central for 2 years. 

Geography played no part in it. 

Since BD has been paired in 6A in that Sectional...

2013-Pike

2014-Ben Davis

2015-Avon

2016-Ben Davis

It's hardly been dominant.

BD is nine miles away from Pike.  Pike now must go across town to face Fishers or HSE and BD has lost three "big gate" rivalry games to pick up a possible Warren game (not to mention near 25 mile drives across busy Indianapolis).  It's the same for Warren Central.  

Why is it fair to "stick it to" (so to speak) Warren or BD when they clearly are two of the best in the state most years and now must play in Sectional.  It was the same deal when the IHSAA found a way to put Carmel in the same Sectional with Warren for two years.

Don't tell us drive time, location, etc. means anything.  If you're pairing for the best matchups, let's seed the whole tournament and make sure BD and Warren don't draw each other in the first round of Sectional.  Let's make sure they are on opposite sides of the Semi-State if it's about competition.  

11 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

It's pretty clear the IHSAA tries to keep natural rivals together in the sectional, which is why Avon/Brownsburg were kept together instead of being split in 6A and paired with Southport/Perry.

Should have seen the full stadium at Brownsburg last year or at Pike or at Ben Davis or at Avon when these teams locked up in Sectional.  Sadly, the IHSAA must not have.

Edited by BDGiant93

20 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Another idea I had looking at the map...

Sectional 5 - Avon, Brownsburg, North Central, Pike

Sectional 6 - Fishers, HSE, LC, LN

Sectional 7 - Ben Davis, Perry Meridian, Southport, Warren Central

Sectional 8 - CG, Columbus North, Franklin Central, Jeffersonville

Even though this still puts Ben Davis and Warren Central together, it keeps Pike over to the west with Avon/Brownsburg, and puts the Lawrence Township Schools with Hamilton Southeastern Schools. It works nicer geographically (at least to me looking at a map), like the schools fit/make sense going clockwise around 465 starting with I-69/465 East

Why don't we stick Warren in with Center Grove? Makes as much sense as BD driving past Franklin Central to play Warren.  Geographically, BD belongs with Avon, Brownsburg, and Pike.  PERIOD.

On 5/2/2017 at 8:02 AM, BigTimeDB said:

I would say Webo is happy with the 2A sectional alignment.  

As an Eastern Hancock fan, i'm not real thrilled with having Scecina in our Sectional, hate losing Northeastern. Enjoyed ending their season most years :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Just to clarify Broad Ripple and Bishop Chatard are not farther North Geographically than Brebeuf Jesuit. Brebeuf Jesuit is on the south side of 86th street. Broad Ripple (Broad Ripple Avenue) and Chatard (Kessler Blvd) are both South of 64th Street.

Do not question Dan's observations. Don't you know his observations are astute? lol

I wonder if Mich & Mich St or Mich & OSU complain about being in the East division of the B10? Because IU (East) and Purdue (West) are split why shouldn't they be split? Maybe it doesn't relate. They even have a good argument though because the divisions won't change. The sectionals at least change every 2 years. 

On 5/1/2017 at 11:25 PM, Dan Jones said:

Who's happy? 

6A-  Brownsburg, Avon, Fishers, HSE, Southport

5A- Zionsville, New Pal (both should be throwing a party for getting into the north), Columbus East, Bloomington South

4A- NorthWood, Greenwood, Beech Grove, Mt. Vernon, East Central (might be the worst sectional in any class in the state)

3A-  West Lafayette, Brebeuf, Guerin Catholic, Chatard, Ritter, Danville, Tri-West, Monrovia

2A- Shenandoah, Tipton,

A-  Sheridan, Howe, Lutheran,

Who's not happy?

6A-  Anyone in the north that sees Carmel is still there, Westfield, Ben Davis, Warren Central, Lawrence North, Lawrence Central

5A- Decatur Central, Roncalli, Cathedral.

4A-  Hobart

3A-  Indian Creek,

2A-  Renssalaer, Linton, Mater Dei

A-  LCC, Pioneer,

You could have made a drivers seat option as well. Center Grove gets to walk to semi-state.

9 hours ago, Dan Jones said:

Why Cathedral and Roncalli continue to be forced together, I think has very little to do with being "rivals" (even though they haven't played in a decade).  They aren't going to be split for 'other reasons'.  Roncalli is closer to Whiteland and Decatur Central, then they are Cathedral geographically.  Are they considered "rivals" because they have both been successful in football and because neither is a public school? (and yes I know the long history between the 2 schools but those days are long over).   We know (at least we think we know) that we can see how the IHSAA splits up some sectionals and moves successful programs around.  They did it with the Marion County schools in 3A this year.  They may not ever admit it but I think we know there is a component to this thinking.  Especially depending on who (and what school they represent) is on the committee to put these things together.

The simple fact is that Cathedral is MUCH closer to both New Pal and Greenfield Central (20 miles for both) then Zionsville is (Zville is twice as far to both NP and GC).  Cathedral is closer by 10 miles to Muncie Central then Z-ville is.  Much closer to Anderson as well.  Zionsville is within 20 miles of all schools in Sectional 13.  So are we cutting this by how north a school is?  Because Sectional 12 is as much a East-Central sectional as it is a Northeast sectional.  Zionsville isn't either. 

Zionsville should be in Sectional 13 with the other 3 teams they've been in that sectional with the past 2 years and Roncalli (who plays 2 of the 4 schools in this sectional during the regular season). Cathedral should be in 12.  Heck I'd guess several of the players on Cathedral's roster have addresses in Hancock County.  They should be with NP, GC, Anderson (who they've been in a sectional with before) and Muncie Central.  That would make much more sense to me.

But I'd guess one of the first drafts of sectionals had Cathedral and Roncalli together, and they'd figure out the rest around that.  Now we'll wait until October to see if they draw each other in Round 1.  Again.

Poor Cathedral and Roncalli. Not fair that they are in the same Sectional again. The IHSAA should be ashamed of themselves for blatantly aligning the entire 5A class so that these two will play in the first round again. 

20 hours ago, Fine Print said:

I have to think Knox will struggle in 3A since they aren't playing that level of competition during the season.  Glenn is the only team on their schedule that is not 1A.  Knox is definitely showing improvement the last couple of years, but I don't see them winning a 3A sectional in the foreseeable future.

Granted that is true, they are playing Pioneer and LaVille which are 2 really good 1A teams. In the Pioneer and Knox game, Knox was toe to toe with the panthers. If it wasn't for that "fake punt" where the redskin defense didn't align on the farthest receiver the game could of been totally different.

1 hour ago, Football Mania said:

Granted that is true, they are playing Pioneer and LaVille which are 2 really good 1A teams. In the Pioneer and Knox game, Knox was toe to toe with the panthers. If it wasn't for that "fake punt" where the redskin defense didn't align on the farthest receiver the game could of been totally different.

Final score was 48-6. "Toe to toe" might be a stretch... First quarter was pretty close though.

• Upvote 1

Everyone may already know this. But the same people for each class who decide the sectionals are not the same every cycle. 6A had 3 different AD's/Principals that decided the sectional splits. Same for every class. So it wont be the same as it always is, as those individuals deciding how to break it up have differing opinions from the last set of Administrators. Here is how it broke down for who had a say in each class.

Chairpersons Commissioner Bobby Cox & Assistant Commissioner Robert Faulkens

Class 1A

District I Will Hostrawser, Athletic Director, LaVille High School    

District II Jeff Hettinger, Athletic Director, Frontier High School    

District III Richard Lance, Assistant Principal, Castle High School

Class 2A

District I Kenneth Hickman, Athletic Director, Rensselaer Central High School    

District II Ryan Fagan, Athletic Director, Oak Hill High School    

District III David Todd, Athletic Director, Switzerland County High School

Class 3A

District I Jeff Ziegler, Principal, Jimtown High School    

District II Bryce Barton, Athletic Director, Crawfordsville High School    

District III Brian Lewis, Athletic Director, Monrovia High School

Class 4A

District I Patti McCormack, Athletic Director, Lowell High School    

District II Brandon Ecker, Athletic Director, Mt. Vernon High School    

District III Mike Whitten, Principal, Boonville High School

Class 5A

District I Dave Preheim, Athletic Director, Concord High School