• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 

Wow... honestly extremely surprised how they put together 6A sectionals 5, 6 and 7.

• Upvote 1

Pioneer and LCC back in the same sectional in 1A.  Thought that might happen.  Bummer for them, but good for those of us in Sectional 41!

• Upvote 2

Crazy that Brebeuf/Guerin could hypothetically play Chatard/Ritter in the State Finals (if I'm reading this correctly)

Having a hard time wrapping my head around how New Pal will be in the north and Cathedral will be out of the south. Gotta bring back the tradition of Cathedral and Roncalli playing in the first round every year I suppose. :44:

I like the way they put Sectional 6 together. Ben Davis and Warren Central in the same sectional? The Warriors are going to kick BD's butt.

• Downvote 3

So much for the big gate at a Pioneer/LCC regional

No idea how it could work out but this seems foolish again 

I'm sure they'll meet round one......AGAIN

:14:

Brebeuf and Guerin in 26...wow...interesting indeed.

8 minutes ago, TCfootball70 said:

Having a hard time wrapping my head around how New Pal will be in the north and Cathedral will be out of the south. Gotta bring back the tradition of Cathedral and Roncalli playing in the first round every year I suppose. 

Yeah, I understand nothing states that the line designating North/South has to be perfectly horizontal... but that one is a tough one to swallow. Attempting to stop a potential Cathedral/Roncalli state championship game?

10 minutes ago, TCfootball70 said:

Having a hard time wrapping my head around how New Pal will be in the north and Cathedral will be out of the south. Gotta bring back the tradition of Cathedral and Roncalli playing in the first round every year I suppose. :44:

If you look at the state map, it makes perfect sense. It's not divided north/south, it's divided into 8 sectionals, then north/south is split. Anderson/Muncie Central and New Pal/Greenfield-Central are a natural duo. The main decision was what to do with Zionsville - send them in with Marion County, up with the Lafayette/Kokomo schools or east into that field. I had the 4 teams Sectional 12 as soon as the classes were announced, although I had Zionsville in the Lafayette/Kokomo sectional. 

• Upvote 1

Seems very odd to not have the Westsider's (Ben Davis, Avon, Brownsburg) together in 6A. Seems even odder that we could have a potential 3A REGIONAL of an Indy school traveling to the Region, or vice versa.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

If you look at the state map, it makes perfect sense. It's not divided north/south, it's divided into 8 sectionals, then north/south is split. Anderson/Muncie Central and New Pal/Greenfield-Central are a natural duo. The main decision was what to do with Zionsville - send them in with Marion County, up with the Lafayette/Kokomo schools or east into that field. I had the 4 teams Sectional 12 as soon as the classes were announced, although I had Zionsville in the Lafayette/Kokomo sectional. 

I guess for me looking at the map I see Cathedral which is right in between Greenfield/Zionsville as well as closer to Anderson/Muncie Central. 

Edited by TCfootball70

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Seems very odd to not have the Westsider's (Ben Davis, Avon, Brownsburg) together in 6A. Seems even odder that we could have a potential 3A REGIONAL of an Indy school traveling to the Region, or vice versa.

At least there are interstates in the north. Trying to go by furthest points - Guerin to Andrean would be 2:15, but mostly I-65.

Try getting from Northview in Brazil to ANY of the other 7 sectional 24 in less than 2 hours. Can't be done. 

Edit: It appears the IHSAA release put a page break in the middle of the  list (who does that?? Lol) Owen Valley is closer than 2 hours to Northview, so my above comment is incorrect. 

Edited by oldtimeqb

Posted (edited)

First of all, this is my opinion and mine only. It doesn't represent the opinion of anyone other than me.

Did the Onion do these?

Listen, Ben Davis would play Warren most years in some place in the state tournament, so it's not about the opponent.  How on Earth is it right for BD and Avon or BD and Brownsburg to play each other in the Semi-State rather than the Sectional?  

It wasn't going to be easy to align these Sectionals...but the South Semi-State Sectionals are LAUGHABLY aligned.  

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

First of all, this is my opinion and mine only. It doesn't represent the opinion of anyone other than me.

Did the Onion do these?

Listen, Ben Davis would play Warren most years in some place in the state tournament, so it's not about the opponent.  How on Earth is it right for BD and Avon or BD and Brownsburg to play each other in the Semi-State rather than the Sectional?  

It wasn't going to be easy to align these Sectionals...but the South Semi-State Sectionals are LAUGHABLY aligned.  

RIGHT?! I've only looked at 5A and 6A so far and that one boggles me as much as putting Zionsville in sectional 12.

Here's the map. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KZql4RSi8hU3eZnVKFlR86XJszA&usp=sharing

With regards to 6A, it's clear the IHSAA was trying to *not* split up schools in the same district (LC/LN, Southport/Perry, Fishers/HSE), which led to trying to place the "single" schools together. 

2 hours ago, TCfootball70 said:

I guess for me looking at the map I see Cathedral which is right in between Greenfield/Zionsville as well as closer to Anderson/Muncie Central. 

The question is where to split those schools. Keeping county rivals together as much as possible is a priority (sometimes, sometimes not). If that's the case, Greenfield-Central/New Pal stay together. Anderson/Muncie Central are not county rivals, but they're geographically aligned. Then, where's the 5th school? Tech/Cathedral/Roncalli stay together. Decatur Central/Planfield are a pairing. Zionsville is the odd team out. I was surprised they were sent into Sectional 12 instead of 11. 

One other key - keeping the 4 Elkhart County schools together creates this scenario, because that causes FW North/Huntington North to be split (FWN goes to 10 as the 5th team, sending Huntington North to 11 with Kokomo & the Lafayette schools). That keeps Zionsville out of 11, which is probably its best geographic fit, as there's a tremendous distance from Z'ville to Huntington. 

Rensselaer to Eastbrook.  Let's go!!!  

Only 2 hours and 15 mins for a sectional game. 

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

That's a neighborhood game by Nevada standards.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Here's the map. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KZql4RSi8hU3eZnVKFlR86XJszA&usp=sharing

With regards to 6A, it's clear the IHSAA was trying to *not* split up schools in the same district (LC/LN, Southport/Perry, Fishers/HSE), which led to trying to place the "single" schools together. 

Crimsonace,

With due respect, I created a mock up Sectional that did all these things that didn't put Ben Davis in with the Eastside of Indianapolis. 

7 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Crimsonace,

With due respect, I created a mock up Sectional that did all these things that didn't put Ben Davis in with the Eastside of Indianapolis. 

I know you did. Yours, I thought, was the best of the proposals. 

This was my 6A lineup in the south...

-----

Sectional 5-Ben Davis, Brownsburg, North Central, Pike

Sectional 6-HSE, Fishers, Lawrence Central, Lawrence North

Sectional 7-Avon, Southport, Perry Meridian, Warren Central

Sectional 8-Center Grove, Columbus North, Franklin Central, Jeffersonville

----

I put Avon there because they were the furthest south, but that could easily have been Ben Davis too and it still would have made more sense than LC, LN, WC, and BD.

Oh well...

As Pat Summitt said, "It is what it is, so make it what it will be."

• Upvote 1

Orangefever may finally get his wish to play castle. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I consider Bremen - Bluffton's 1:48 commute a blessing compared to yours :)

Edited by Longgreenline82

Who's happy? 

6A-  Brownsburg, Avon, Fishers, HSE, Southport

5A- Zionsville, New Pal (both should be throwing a party for getting into the north), Columbus East, Bloomington South

4A- NorthWood, Greenwood, Beech Grove, Mt. Vernon, East Central (might be the worst sectional in any class in the state)

3A-  West Lafayette, Brebeuf, Guerin Catholic, Chatard, Ritter, Danville, Tri-West, Monrovia

2A- Shenandoah, Tipton,

A-  Sheridan, Howe, Lutheran,

Who's not happy?

6A-  Anyone in the north that sees Carmel is still there, Westfield, Ben Davis, Warren Central, Lawrence North, Lawrence Central

5A- Decatur Central, Roncalli, Cathedral.

4A-  Hobart

3A-  Indian Creek,

2A-  Renssalaer, Linton, Mater Dei

A-  LCC, Pioneer,

6 hours ago, Dan Jones said:

Who's happy? 

A-  Sheridan, Howe, Lutheran

Not at all happy about a potential sectional rematch with Hagerstown.  They're the real deal this year, with the potential to represent the south in 1A.

• Upvote 1