• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
brvheart63

2017 Ideas of the Top Teams in 1A

1A 2016-17 FINAL GID Poll

1. LCC
  2. Linton 
  3. Pioneer
  4. West Washington
  5. Carroll (Flora)
  6. Monroe Central
  7. Adams Central
  8. Indianapolis Lutheran
  9. Fountain Central
  10. Northfield
  11. LaVille

What are the thoughts for this 2017 Season? Can Pioneer repeat? Who comes out of the south since Linton moves to 2A? 

Posted (edited)

Haven't seen a 2017 Digest yet so I don't know what everyone lost (graduation).  I'll toss out a few names anyway to watch in 1A South this year:  Fountain Central, North Vermillion, Indianapolis Howe, Indianapolis Lutheran, and (don't laugh) Eastern Greene.  The Thunderbirds are coming off the best record in school history (10 - 3), won their first ever sectional championship, and bring back several good skill players.  Yes they lost twice to Linton last year (regular season and the regional title game) but they shouldn't be taken lightly.  Their program is on the rise.

In the North you have the "usual suspects":  LCC and Pioneer.

Edited by itiswhatitis

Can tell you WW lost everyone just about. QB, RB, TE,  top 4 WR and 2 OL. And alot of them played both ways. It'll be interesting to see how they bounce back. Some great players graduated. 

1 minute ago, WWFan said:

Can tell you WW lost everyone just about. QB, RB, TE,  top 4 WR and 2 OL. And alot of them played both ways. It'll be interesting to see how they bounce back. Some great players graduated. 

Yes I recall you saying that in another topic.  Otherwise I may have listed the Senators as well as a South contender.  It appears they lost practically their entire offense.  Hard to overcome that.  The Miners lose a bunch as well (both sides of the ball).  New starters and a tougher schedule will make Coach Oliver's job a tough one this season.  But he's very good at evaluating talent and putting the right player(s) in the right position(s).  As I've said before, it should be an exciting year in Miner Country.

• Upvote 1

LaVille loses a lot.  I don't see them as a top 10 1A this year.  I'm not sure about Northfield, but I'm thinking they lose a couple of their big running backs.  They may drop off a bit.  But you need to put Southwood in that list!  They are set to have a good year.  They return a bunch of skill players including their record-setting QB and leading WR from a sectional title team.  They won't be a surprise to many teams in the North, but you folks in the South better get used to seeing their name listed among the best in the state.

Last year's Pioneer win over LCC was not a fluke.  And they will be as good or better this year.  They are my pick to return to Lucas Oil from the North.  It's a shame they are back in the same sectional as LCC, but that means we (Triton) don't have either one in our sectional, so I'm good with it.

Pioneer is the team to beat. Young Mr. Kiser is the real deal. They will get even better. 

• Upvote 3

Hearing big things out of Carroll and Indy Lutheran.  LCC is the ?  New coach, new philosophy could make things interesting.

I admit, Pioneer is seasoned and should be outstanding. Return a ton and added some real speed to line up.

I think Sheridan could make noise. Their juniors have long been touted as the next great class in title town. Their coach is decent too :02:

I don't know about Eastern... They lost some playmakers.  I think they will have a good regular season... Maybe undefeated going into the Linton game. Then they will lose 2 straight to end the season.

North Central is the sleeper team for me.  They have arguably their best class of lineman and best class of backs as seniors and juniors.  Personally, I'd like to see them open the playbook to get some of their athletes out in space.  I could see them losing a game they shouldn't if they stay double tight with the option... Too easy to bottle up their guys with speed. I don't see anyone on their regular season schedule they can't play with/beat.  They have a good chance of winning their sectional.  Regional could be tough.  I don't see them beating Lutheran if that is their semi state opponent... And they would struggle against the best team in the North.  Then again, they have a window for the next two years.  Win a sectional... Maybe a Regional... That would be huge for them. After that the talent isn't quite as plentiful... And The Miners could be back in 1A.

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2017 at 8:57 PM, CharlieTweeder said:

Hearing big things out of Carroll and Indy Lutheran.  LCC is the ?  New coach, new philosophy could make things interesting.

I admit, Pioneer is seasoned and should be outstanding. Return a ton and added some real speed to line up.

I think Sheridan could make noise. Their juniors have long been touted as the next great class in title town. Their coach is decent too :02:

At the end of last season, I though Carroll looked good and has come a long way and can be a contender.  Not sure what, like LCC's situation, the impact of a new coach will have on that momentum.  Will be interesting to see.  

On 7/18/2017 at 8:57 PM, CharlieTweeder said:

LCC is the ?  New coach, new philosophy could make things interesting.

Exactly!

On 7/18/2017 at 3:21 PM, Fine Print said:

Last year's Pioneer win over LCC was not a fluke.  And they will be as good or better this year.  They are my pick to return to Lucas Oil from the North.  It's a shame they are back in the same sectional as LCC, but that means we (Triton) don't have either one in our sectional, so I'm good with it.

What this also means is that the odds for LCC and Pioneer both being in 1A for the next four years minimum just went up with the odds-makers. 

18 minutes ago, foxbat said:

What this also means is that the odds for LCC and Pioneer both being in 1A for the next four years minimum just went up with the odds-makers. 

And I'm also fine with that - especially for Pioneer.  They are a small public school and definitely belong in 1A.  I'm not a fan of the success factor.

• Upvote 1