• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
Yak

DB Faceguarding

Question

Asking any officials. How often have you called faceguarding and what is your flag trigger to make this call??

3 answers to this question

We have called it in the past and it was basically the defender not turning to make a play on the ball.

In 17 years of officiating I have never called faceguarding or had it called in a game I worked. In order to call it I would have required someone to put their hand directly in the face of the receiver (almost inside the facemask) before the ball arrived. If you are close enough to do that you are likely close enough to actually play the ball. Just waving your hands 2-3 yards from the receiver should not be enough to warrant a flag. This was the primary reason the rules committee chose to eliminate this element of the DPI foul. It was very rarely called and when it was, it was very inconsistent.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

In my 12 years of officiating I called it once, in a 7th grade game.  DB never turned around and stuck his hand directly into receivers face.  Of course the Dads in the stands were screaming about how I don't know the rules. 

Edited by fbofficial
  • Upvote 1