Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

S.I.A.C. 2019

I’ve heard MD is looking like the potential top  team. Castle might be next. Memorial will surprise some people who think they will be down. Who knows with Central? So much uncertainty.( talent yes, new coach, but up front they lost a ton.)  North will be good up front. Heard Bosse has a good skill group. One of those teams might ascend this year. 

In general I think this might be a slightly down year.  I always believe teams win upfront. Central graduated all but one lineman.  That’s going to be tough to replace.  It was nice to be able to watch all the teams today at media day. Good job Courier and Press.  

My pre season rankings

MD

Castle

Memorial

Reitz

Bosse

Central

North

Harrison

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Evansville50 said:

In general I think this might be a slightly down year.  I always believe teams win upfront. Central graduated all but one lineman.  That’s going to be tough to replace.  It was nice to be able to watch all the teams today at media day. Good job Courier and Press.  

My pre season rankings

MD

Castle

Memorial

Reitz

Bosse

Central

North

Harrison

Just my 2 cents

1 MD

2 Cen/Mem

3 Rtz 

4 Cas

5 Nth

6 B/H

On 7/13/2019 at 11:40 AM, Panther86 said:

Worst part about it are the RBs from last year which are still on the team will get screwed over to let these back in.  Funny how they are here when with a coach with no discipline, he leaves and a tougher coach comes so they also leave now that coach is gone and they are back.  I sure hope for the returns at Central more than anyone that the IHSAA doesnt approve this.  Dont have facts in front of me but I would be willing to bet that over the years no school has had more kids in trouble than Central.  All points back to leadership, or lack therof.

Sounds like one Panther fan has not adjusted well to the new norm of Central kicking Panther butt. Seems you are taking out frustrations by demeaning the entire program because of your perceived dislike for a couple of well-traveled teenagers who have had a difficult life. Only one team in Evansville boasts a better record over the past 3 seasons than the Central bears. A lot of good coaches and players should have earned respect for that.

15 hours ago, bruno_LA said:

Sounds like one Panther fan has not adjusted well to the new norm of Central kicking Panther butt. Seems you are taking out frustrations by demeaning the entire program because of your perceived dislike for a couple of well-traveled teenagers who have had a difficult life. Only one team in Evansville boasts a better record over the past 3 seasons than the Central bears. A lot of good coaches and players should have earned respect for that.

First off its not the "new norm".  Its a very small sample of 3 years out of the past 75.  And look at the facts, Central was much better when the brothers left in all phases of the game.  And still will be better without them than they would be with them.  Central has 3 RBs this year that is just as good as the drifters and way more disciplined.  The proof is in the pudding from last year.  And look what Central done to Reitz without them compared to with them.  Even more proof.

Edited by Panther86
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, bruno_LA said:

I thought it was somewhat interesting that at the media day yesterday, the Central HC simply said "no comment" when asked about the roster.  Maybe that simply means he wasn't going to answer a bunch of questions about the kids in question at this point.  From the player comments, the coach seems to be a disciplinarian, which could make things interesting going forward.  

I also get a little tired of hearing excuses about "tough life".  Last year Central had kids who had well-publicized circumstances that were far-more challenging and those kids played within the structure of a team that was one break away from a state title.  And Central is not alone.  Every school - public or private - has kids who grew up with less than ideal situations.  As Panther86 said, the proof was in the pudding - it was only when Central had a coach who instilled discipline and self-responsibility that they climbed to the top of the mountain.  

• Like 4

Here are the week 1 predictions from Massey Ratings: 

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=14084&s=308152 

Memorial@ Jasper, Memorial wins 48-14, 98% of victory for Memorial

Central@ South Vigo, Central wins 41-21, 86% of victory for Central

Reitz@ Henderson Co., Reitz wins 35-24, 72% of victory for Reitz

Castle@ Bloomington South, BS wins 35-28, 36% of victory for Castle 

Indian Creek@ Mater Dei, MD wins 34-21, 74% of victory for MD 

VL@ Bosse, VL wins 35-27, 33% of victory for Bosse 

Harrison@ New Albany, NA wins 35-6, 3% of victory for Harrison 

North@ Princeton, Princeton wins 26-22, 42% of victory for North 

SIAC goes 4-4 in week 1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

SIAC goes 4-4 in week 1

I mean.....SIAC goes 3-3 in week 1 😉. Jasper and Vincennes are soon to be SIAC members anyways 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

SIAC goes 4-4 in week 1

13 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I mean.....SIAC goes 3-3 in week 1 😉. Jasper and Vincennes are soon to be SIAC members anyways 

VL’s additions of Harrison (scrimmage) and Bosse to the schedule (as well as Floyd Central) were made well before trouble was brewing in the Big 8. Now those changes prove to be more valuable than originally thought. Hopefully, this will serve as a stepping stone for Lincoln as they move to an all Eville schedule in 2020. 

And you can bet that last October’s beatdown at Enlow against Memorial was a popular film for Coach Salters and Co. this spring and summer on where they have to get better fundamentally in order to compete in the SIAC. 

• Like 1

It’s just a physical fast league from top to bottom. We talk about the lower 3 teams in SIAC but all 3 have weapons, good size, and athletes.  VL will be just fine. Just not any games you can’t be focused and locked in. Speed kills and they all have it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great article about a group of kids that weren’t a part of a state runner-up and have been in trouble at every school. How about more on Boberg , Schutte, and others who contributed last year.  Instead, we hear about the Evans crew, including the dad.  Poor job Gordo on this preseason article. At minimum,  I would think the oldest should have to sit 1 game for being kicked out his last IHSAA game,  plus 2 more for code of conduct before leaving (asked to leave) Central for Princeton. 

Edited by Screagle

8 hours ago, Screagle said:

At minimum,  I would think the oldest should have to sit 1 game for being kicked out his last IHSAA game,  plus 2 more for code of conduct before leaving (asked to leave) Central for Princeton. 

I have not followed the Evans brothers careers so I don’t remember what school they were at last, but IHSAA transfers deem the penalty be served at the next school. So if he had a suspension at School A (and didn’t have time to serve the penalty), School B must have him serve the penalty before allowing him to play. 

Hope that makes sense. (I’m not saying it’s right just the IHSAA rule.)

48 minutes ago, Coach_K said:

I have not followed the Evans brothers careers so I don’t remember what school they were at last, but IHSAA transfers deem the penalty be served at the next school. So if he had a suspension at School A (and didn’t have time to serve the penalty), School B must have him serve the penalty before allowing him to play. 

They havent played at another IHSAA school though but Im not sure how the rule specifically reads.  Im sure there will be a special exception for this though.  Eisenhower in Decatur, IL is the only place they have played since last being at Central.

Edited by Panther86

44 minutes ago, Coach_K said:

He never played at either school B or C and he is now back at A where he was kicked out of regional game. By the spring of that school year he was suspended from school and sent to alternative school. I won’t mention why , but it falls under code of conduct. The family moves anytime they get in trouble.  

Central

St. Louis

Central

Princeton

Somewhere in Illinois

Central

The best part the dad always ends up with a job in what ever corporation they’ve landed.  

I’m all for second chances but this is comical and you can bet Paul Neidig and Andy Owen have everything to do with this family making a mockery of IHSAA, the SIAC, and high school sports.  

4 minutes ago, Panther86 said:

They havent played at another IHSAA school though but Im not sure how the rule specifically reads.  Im sure there will be a special exception for this though.  Eisenhower in Decatur, IL is the only place they have played since last being at Central.

No suspension served there but they did quit after a couple games. 

4 hours ago, Screagle said:

He never played at either school B or C and he is now back at A where he was kicked out of regional game. By the spring of that school year he was suspended from school and sent to alternative school. I won’t mention why , but it falls under code of conduct. The family moves anytime they get in trouble.  

Central

St. Louis

Central

Princeton

Somewhere in Illinois

Central

The best part the dad always ends up with a job in what ever corporation they’ve landed.  

I’m all for second chances but this is comical and you can bet Paul Neidig and Andy Owen have everything to do with this family making a mockery of IHSAA, the SIAC, and high school sports.  

No suspension served there but they did quit after a couple games. 

I know they only played a partial season in IL but didnt hear the reason.