Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

S.I.A.C. 2019

4 hours ago, tango said:

My understanding is 1-2 players were not allowed to participate. So the Bears were not at full strength.

Not sure about 2 but 1 shouldnt have been due to being kicked out of the last IHSAA game he played in.  But even missing 2 or 3 or 4 its surprising to get shut down by a less than average THS team.  Unless they have made drastic strides from previous years.  And the Courier article said they got 4 personal fouls so....    Pretty bad start to the SIAC all around.  Only 3 winners.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Panther86 said:

Not sure about 2 but 1 shouldnt have been due to being kicked out of the last IHSAA game he played in.  But even missing 2 or 3 or 4 its surprising to get shut down by a less than average THS team.  Unless they have made drastic strides from previous years.  And the Courier article said they got 4 personal fouls so....    Pretty bad start to the SIAC all around.  Only 3 winners.

Central was at full strength with exception of the kid that transfered from THS, he was suspended. Centrals big problem was they have no Oline and they had almost 80 yards in unsportsnan like penalties. 

2 hours ago, reitzguy said:

Central was at full strength with exception of the kid that transfered from THS, he was suspended. Centrals big problem was they have no Oline and they had almost 80 yards in unsportsnan like penalties. 

So if your info is true, which Im not disputing, the IHSAA dropped Evans' suspension from being ejected from the last game he played?  I know it was 2 years ago but as far as I know, and under everyone elses rules, that still applies.  He was ejected in the regional for 2 personal fouls in the loss to East Central in their last game in state.  And if you have no line to block it really doesnt matter how good your runners are.  Not going to be very successful.

12 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

My preseason SIAC rankings were 

Memorial 

Central 

Reitz

Castle 

Mater Dei

North 

Bosse 

Harrison 

I know it was just 1 game but from that it appears Memorial is head and shoulder above everyone else.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, reitzguy said:

Gonna say with exceptions if MD and Mem. The SIAC is as week as it has maybe ever been. Even both if those teans beat very mediocore teams at best.

Why is Castle "down?" They have the feeder system, stability, it should be time for some generational success to return from the Lidy days. Are kids going out too often for other sports?

18 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Why is Castle "down?" They have the feeder system, stability, it should be time for some generational success to return from the Lidy days. Are kids going out too often for other sports?

Very good question.  Last year their returning starting QB decided to play golf instead of football, which seems somewhat odd.  That's the only notable case I can remember.  

19 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I can't speculate as to the cause (particularly given the positives you highlight above)...but the word on the street is always that Castle leaves a lot of kids in the hallways.

Castle doesn’t seem as big and physical these past few seasons. Numbers appear to be good in the cub programs 

Last year, I think the loss of a good hard-nosed QB to golf and banking on a RB that was dismissed the previous season led to some inconsistencies. 

Lots of time to get better and their coach talks highly of this group. Not sure how many teams from SW Indiana could go to B-South week 1 and get a W.  

My week 1 power rankings: 

1. Memorial(1-0) 

Nothing much to say about Memorial after dominating the game right before the starters left. Combs was a beast the whole game, along with the defense. The offense went better than I expected it to be too. 

2. Mater Dei(1-0) 

Not much said either, they dominated Indian Creek like it was nothing. Question is? How long will the stay as a top team.

3. Central(0-1) 

Though their game wasn't the best performance, they still have the talent to be good. Central's biggest concerns are to fix their OL/DL and discipline. 

4. Reitz(0-1) 

You'll figure it out. 

5. North(1-0)

Welcome to the top 5, North. Your dominance against Princeton has given you the #5 spot. 

6. Castle(0-1) 

Might be a little harsh on Castle, but last Friday night was not a good performance at all. 

7. Bosse(0-1) 

There's talent at Bosse, but VL was a little better Friday 

8. Harrison(0-1) 

Nothing much too say

On 8/26/2019 at 2:47 AM, hhpatriot04 said:

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

My week 1 power rankings: 

1. Memorial(1-0) 

Nothing much to say about Memorial after dominating the game right before the starters left. Combs was a beast the whole game, along with the defense. The offense went better than I expected it to be too. 

2. Mater Dei(1-0) 

Not much said either, they dominated Indian Creek like it was nothing. Question is? How long will the stay as a top team.

3. Central(0-1) 

Though their game wasn't the best performance, they still have the talent to be good. Central's biggest concerns are to fix their OL/DL and discipline. 

4. Reitz(0-1) 

You'll figure it out. 

5. North(1-0)

Welcome to the top 5, North. Your dominance against Princeton has given you the #5 spot. 

6. Castle(0-1) 

Might be a little harsh on Castle, but last Friday night was not a good performance at all. 

7. Bosse(0-1) 

There's talent at Bosse, but VL was a little better Friday 

8. Harrison(0-1) 

Nothing much too say

I think we know that Mater Dei is not going to regress. They may get banged up being the smallest team in the SIAC, but they always seeem to be resilient. They've had a few thin years, but so long as they don't beat themselves, they should at least be able to match anyone with gameplanning on any given week. 

Reitz is the real wildcard (and HC for that matter). I haven't seen the HC game, but let's see how they do and if Reitz can build on any strengths. Not sure if Central is back to being the Central of old or if they were really hampered by the roster. Figure it out. Don't run between the tackles and get the ball to the outside. At least be sound in special teams and the Bears could surprise ... they could also sink.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 12:32 PM, tango said:

Yep, unless they're flying....  8/31 in Evansville at 4pm local time.  

We are driving.  We've been struggling to find an opponent because a team in our conference has refused to play a varsity schedule the last 3 years.  We've looked at Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin and EMD was the best fit.  5.5 hours is long but we're going to make the best of it.  We're excited to play in the Reitz Bowl against a great opponent.  The alternative, a bye week, isn't in our best interest.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Jennings said:

We are driving.  We've been struggling to find an opponent because a team in our conference has refused to play a varsity schedule the last 3 years.  We've looked at Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin and EMD was the best fit.  5.5 hours is long but we're going to make the best of it.  We're excited to play in the Reitz Bowl against a great opponent.  The alternative, a bye week, isn't in our best interest.  

Have a safe drive and good luck.  The Bowl is a cool place to play.  

4 hours ago, Coach Jennings said:

Franklin street is a nice area for some good food and beverages for any fans traveling up.  2 minutes from Reitz Bowl. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coach Jennings said:

Our fans enjoy beverages... I will relay the info!  Thank you.

There is also room to tailgate at Reitz Bowl.  We always set up in the tiered lots above the end zone closer to the Ohio River.  I was at the MD game last Saturday and there was a lot of open space in those lots.

• Like 1

Week 2 power ratings: 

1. Memorial(2-0)

Memorial is still Memorial. 

2. Mater Dei(2-0)

Nice outing against Whiting, week 4 will be a great matchup. 

3. Central(1-1)

A nice little win against Owensboro, but too close to comfort. 

T4. Reitz(1-1) 

Much better performance Friday, and congratulations on the new mascot, Reitz Armadillos! 

T4. Castle(1-1)

Nice performance against New Albany, hopefully you guys get a new kicker net! 

5. North (1-1)

Wow, what a heartbreaker. Keep your heads up North, you got some talent. 

6. Bosse(1-1)

Way to go Bosse, it will be interesting how you progress in the season 

7. Harrison(0-2)  

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

Week 2 power ratings: 

1. Memorial(2-0)

Memorial is still Memorial. 

2. Mater Dei(2-0)

Nice outing against Whiting, week 4 will be a great matchup. 

3. Central(1-1)

A nice little win against Owensboro, but too close to comfort. 

T4. Reitz(1-1) 

Much better performance Friday, and congratulations on the new mascot, Reitz Armadillos! 

T4. Castle(1-1)

Nice performance against New Albany, hopefully you guys get a new kicker net! 

5. North (1-1)

Wow, what a heartbreaker. Keep your heads up North, you got some talent. 

6. Bosse(1-1)

Way to go Bosse, it will be interesting how you progress in the season 

7. Harrison(0-2)  

I think you should move north up to 4th and castle Reitz down 1....I know it’s never a good idea to compare how teams did vs common opponents but Henderson county needed to score with with pretty much no time left to win their game. Reitz didn’t even have that chance against Henderson and I think that says something

I think it became pretty apparent that Coach P has his north team in a position to fight and win against almost anyone. Maybe nothing over the top in skill but they can ball.  Will be interesting to see how they do against the rest of the SIAC this year.  

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

3 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I think you should move north up to 4th and castle Reitz down 1....I know it’s never a good idea to compare how teams did vs common opponents but Henderson county needed to score with with pretty much no time left to win their game. Reitz didn’t even have that chance against Henderson and I think that says something

I think it became pretty apparent that Coach P has his north team in a position to fight and win against almost anyone. Maybe nothing over the top in skill but they can ball.  Will be interesting to see how they do against the rest of the SIAC this year.  

North, Reitz and Castle, were hard to choose from. Reitz and Castle will determine who will break the tie this Friday. North, on the other hand, will have troubles against Memorial's defense and offense. I really like what Coach P is doing with North at the moment, even though its his 2nd year, he has the ability to make North a special team. 

• Like 2

Rankings in the IFCA poll 

5A: 

Castle(RV) 

4A: 

6(1). Memorial; they also received a first place vote 

Central(RV) 

Reitz(RV)

3A: 

Bosse(RV) 

2A: 

2. Mater Dei 

Rankings in AP poll 

5A: 

Castle(RV) 

4A: 

7. Memorial 

Central(RV) 

2A: 

2(3). Mater Dei; they also received 3 first place votes and was 14 votes behind Scecina 

Edited by TigerFan20

My power rankings: 

1. Memorial(3-0) 

Too long of a game, but Memorial still pulls off a victory over North. There were a lot of bad errors and throughout the game for Memorial, but also did well enough to keep control of the game after taking the lead before half time. The offense can score if they have too, Pence is great at QB, he has multiple targets to throw too. The defense, on the other hand, missed a few tackles and bad wide openings. Though they did mess up quite a bit, they did have a lot of dominance throughout. Overall, the game was a lot closer than I would have thought, but the message is clear, the Huskies are legit.  

2. Mater Dei(3-0) 

Nothing much to say about Mater Dei, they have been killing it the last 3 games. Next week will be the big one! 

3. Central(2-1) 

Nothing much to say either, it will be an interesting week against Reitz 

4. North(1-2) 

North, I owe an apology, I doubted you guys will score on our varsity, but man! You guys are legit! McKinney is a pretty fast kid also and had good vision when he dropped those 70 and 40 yard touchdowns on us. I was not expecting that outcome of the game last night. You guys are very improved, but still got a little ways to go. Hopefully you guys do well for the remainder of the season! 

5. Castle(2-1) 

I didn't know much about this game, but I heard it was a showdown. 

6. Reitz(1-2) 

Wow, did not expect you guys being this low. I have heard the football team isn't as good this year. Hopefully it can be solved quickly, because you have a big one coming up. 

7. Bosse(1-2) 

8. Harrison(0-3)