Jump to content
OldBruin

CIC Football New Season 2019

Recommended Posts

On 8/14/2019 at 11:25 AM, Midway Monster said:

I like the fact that Eastbrook and Mississinewa have both strengthened their schedules. Win or lose this does nothing but help you in the long run. Both teams have excellent coaches that will learn something and make adjustments coming out of these first two weeks.

I agree that this non-conference schedule will pay dividends.  It just seems odd to think that Eastbrook could start the year out 1 and 3.  I’ll be pulling for the Panthers to win all of their first four games, but that seems like a tall order.  Good luck!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:31 PM, captainobvious said:

Everyone thinks that there is something wrong with the CIC and it needs all of this restructuring around football season.  I guess the fact that Alexandria just won a state title in baseball or the success of the other sports, along with all of the girls sports means nothing.  The CIC is very competitive as a conference across the board!!  Not to mention that my Tigers might just surprise some people on the gridiron this year.  In the future, I could see MG closing and splitting students between Alexandria, Elwood, Ole Miss, and Oak Hill.  Crazy that Madison Grant is the biggest school district in the state (area wise) and it only has 1A numbers.  It’s possible!

I agree the CIC is very competitive across the board.  Last year Eastbrook was 2A state runner-up in football, Frankton was final four in 2A basketball, and Alex won the 2A baseball state championship, that's a great year for any conference.  However, there aren't many conferences in the state that have their school sizes range from 1A - 4A.  Typically the biggest or the smallest will eventually leave, which would mean a little addition and subtraction is probably coming to the CIC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, franktonite said:

I agree the CIC is very competitive across the board.  Last year Eastbrook was 2A state runner-up in football, Frankton was final four in 2A basketball, and Alex won the 2A baseball state championship, that's a great year for any conference.  However, there aren't many conferences in the state that have their school sizes range from 1A - 4A.  Typically the biggest or the smallest will eventually leave, which would mean a little addition and subtraction is probably coming to the CIC.

Typically I would agree with that.  But if the big school isn't dominating everything and the small school isn't losing miserably at everything, I don't see a need for a shake up.  I feel across the board It is a fairly level playing field and a very competitive conference.  Everybody just loves to have a knee jerk reaction when A sport leans one way or another.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 10:31 PM, captainobvious said:

Everyone thinks that there is something wrong with the CIC and it needs all of this restructuring around football season.  I guess the fact that Alexandria just won a state title in baseball or the success of the other sports, along with all of the girls sports means nothing.  The CIC is very competitive as a conference across the board!!  Not to mention that my Tigers might just surprise some people on the gridiron this year.  In the future, I could see MG closing and splitting students between Alexandria, Elwood, Ole Miss, and Oak Hill.  Crazy that Madison Grant is the biggest school district in the state (area wise) and it only has 1A numbers.  It’s possible!

Being a football forum, I'm only viewing potential conference membership through that sport.  I simply think Elwood, MG, Frankton, Alex all seem to be trending down in football.  Obviously, Eastbrook/Mississinewa are quality programs in my opinion.  I think Oak Hill is competitive in the CIC, but isn't in the upper tier in regards to schools of similar size in the area, which is hidden by the fact they are members of a weak CIC.  Schools I see as potential conference partners through some type of realignment are typically Lapel and/or Tipton...could throw in a handful of others like Hamilton Heights, Doah, Yorktown that could potentially make sense geographically, but make zero sense from a competitive standpoint as Elwood, Frankton, MG, Oak Hill, and Alex do not consistently provide adequate competition in football.  Success in other sports should be taken into account as well, which is something up to each individual school's admin, but I simply do not see some football head coaches/AD's thinking it vital that they seek out competition against the CIC schools I mentioned unless it is for a homecoming game or to maintain a rivalry like Tipton/Elwood or Frankton/Lapel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to Alexandria jamboree. Alexandria looked good. Winchester going to be a tough year. 

I beg to differ on teams who over next 2 years can be tough. Alexandria is strong in the 2020 and 2021 class. They will fall off after that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Warriorfan said:

Are things at Elwood really that bad?

I would say no. I believe Elwood got the right man for the job in Brown. This season will undoubtedly have its growing pains but I think the arrow is pointing upward in the long term. Being an old fart and no longer living in town means I no longer have my finger on the pulse of the program but it seems like some semblance of order has been restored. 

Also, I really don't see anyone outside of maybe Blackford or Ole Miss leaving the CIC. I'd understand if Ole Miss and their increasing enrollment might have eyes for stronger competition. I can't imagine it's very fun to whip up on inferior schools with a fraction of your enrollment.

 Blackford is a bit of an oddball but it sounds like they have already entertained the idea of spurning the CIC in favor of playing paddy cake with random schools like Jay County (ew, why?). The traditionalist in me would be bummed to see either school leave the conference. I'm sure Lapel would be on speed dial if that really did happen. Shenandoah is intriguing as well from a size standpoint but some of those drives to Middletown would be kinda miserable. 

As far as pulling schools like Heights or Tipton into the fold...Not a chance. Those schools are positioned well both logistically and competitively. I see the Hoosier as sort of the gold standard of small school conferences. Zero reason to exit a comfy situation like that. I'd liken that to asking Kate Upton for a divorce so you could go to a singles mixer at the Elks lodge in Hartford City. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, halfbackpass said:

I would say no. I believe Elwood got the right man for the job in Brown. This season will undoubtedly have its growing pains but I think the arrow is pointing upward in the long term. Being an old fart and no longer living in town means I no longer have my finger on the pulse of the program but it seems like some semblance of order has been restored. 

Also, I really don't see anyone outside of maybe Blackford or Ole Miss leaving the CIC. I'd understand if Ole Miss and their increasing enrollment might have eyes for stronger competition. I can't imagine it's very fun to whip up on inferior schools with a fraction of your enrollment.

 Blackford is a bit of an oddball but it sounds like they have already entertained the idea of spurning the CIC in favor of playing paddy cake with random schools like Jay County (ew, why?). The traditionalist in me would be bummed to see either school leave the conference. I'm sure Lapel would be on speed dial if that really did happen. Shenandoah is intriguing as well from a size standpoint but some of those drives to Middletown would be kinda miserable. 

As far as pulling schools like Heights or Tipton into the fold...Not a chance. Those schools are positioned well both logistically and competitively. I see the Hoosier as sort of the gold standard of small school conferences. Zero reason to exit a comfy situation like that. I'd liken that to asking Kate Upton for a divorce so you could go to a singles mixer at the Elks lodge in Hartford City. 

😂That may be the funniest thing I'll read here ever. I haven't heard anything about Blackford leaving, but I wouldn't mind them joining the ACAC. I think that would keep SW happy and stay in the conference. I'd really like to see Bellmont and Norwell join the ACAC, but I think they feel it is too small of a conference for them. My guess is that Blackford was looking to be like Lapel? Schedule Shenandoah & Monroe Central and their conference mates as well as a couple ACAC teams and some CIC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

😂That may be the funniest thing I'll read here ever. I haven't heard anything about Blackford leaving, but I wouldn't mind them joining the ACAC. I think that would keep SW happy and stay in the conference. I'd really like to see Bellmont and Norwell join the ACAC, but I think they feel it is too small of a conference for them. My guess is that Blackford was looking to be like Lapel? Schedule Shenandoah & Monroe Central and their conference mates as well as a couple ACAC teams and some CIC?

I think Lapel did the right thing in going independent when they did. That area is growing like a weed so that was smart to keep their options open. I wonder if its a headache as an AD to make that kind of schedule. Finding adjacent schools that fit the Bruins profile is definitely possible, it's just that most of those schools are probably in the thick of conference play by the time September rolls around. Elwood got caught being a wallflower in Week 1 back in 2012 and ended up having take a long, desperate drive up North to slow dance with River Forest. Yeesh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, halfbackpass said:

I think Lapel did the right thing in going independent when they did. That area is growing like a weed so that was smart to keep their options open. I wonder if its a headache as an AD to make that kind of schedule. Finding adjacent schools that fit the Bruins profile is definitely possible, it's just that most of those schools are probably in the thick of conference play by the time September rolls around. Elwood got caught being a wallflower in Week 1 back in 2012 and ended up having take a long, desperate drive up North to slow dance with River Forest. Yeesh

Well Monroe Central and Shenandoah are in a 4 team conference last I knew. Monroe Central has at least 3 ACAC opponents scheduled. The ACAC has 7 members, so each team is looking for 3 opponents throughout the season so they have many choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't get to go to MG's scrimmage. If you did, what were your thoughts? I herd the numbers were up, 38 and they were running a version of the Wing T, don't  know what D they will use. Any insight would be appreciated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...