Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mass shootings on the radar again.

swordfish

4 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

So in other words, no. 

No. Didn't try to find it either. I didn't read the Unabomber's either. He didn't use a gun, though, so I can't bring him up on a mass shooting thread.

Police are supposed to tell the truth, I don't think they were lying or politicizing. 

• Disdain 1

46 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

So in other words, no. 

He killed Mexicans, not environmentalists or those advocating a universal minimum wage.  

You can try to deflect and be obtuse but he went to kill Mexicans and was clearly influenced by our very terrific Prez.

• Disdain 1

On 8/6/2019 at 8:21 AM, gonzoron said:

If you need more than 10 rounds for self defense,

1. You're a terrible shot. Practice more.

Gonzo and SF actually have to agree here. 

Although my 9mm double action semi-automatic handgun has the factory clip that holds 15.  Add one in the chamber I would be carrying 16 shots.  It's loaded with Hydra-shock hollow points.  Not saying I need that many, I hope I never have to fire it in self defense, but if needed, given my years of range time, I should only need one.  (Plan for the worst, hope for the best)

1 hour ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

You can try to deflect and be obtuse but he went to kill Mexicans and was clearly influenced by our very terrific Prez.

Even though the manifesto specifically says different......

55 minutes ago, swordfish said:

Even though the manifesto specifically says different......

What does the document say that is different from what he told the police immediately after the shooting? Why would he lie to police, and say he went to kill Mexicans, if that's not why he was there? And please don't say he was paid to say that by the Clinton's.

2 hours ago, gonzoron said:

What does the document say that is different from what he told the police immediately after the shooting? Why would he lie to police, and say he went to kill Mexicans, if that's not why he was there? And please don't say he was paid to say that by the Clinton's.

He was paid to say that by the Clintons.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

bill-clinton-was-recorded-on-26-flights-

As are Bill Richardson, George Mitchell, Prince Andrew, Alan Dershowitz, “another prince,” a "foreign president," a "well-known prime minister" and the owner of a “large hotel chain.”

16 hours ago, gonzoron said:

In reference to "You can try to deflect and be obtuse but he went to kill Mexicans and was clearly influenced by our very terrific Prez". 

He said his actions would be misunderstood as being tied to Trump.

"My ideology has not changed for several years," Crusius wrote. "My opinions on automation, immigration, and the rest predate Trump and his campaign for president. I [am] putting this here because some people will blame the President or certain presidential candidates for the attack. This is not the case. I know that the media will probably call me a white supremacist anyway and blame Trump's rhetoric. The media is infamous for fake news. Their reaction to this attack will likely just confirm that."

That was the only time Trump appeared in the manifesto, and it appears clear that Crusius borrowed his "fake news" characterization of the news media from the president. But that is not what Trump's critics have charged. They have charged that Trump inspired Crusius to kill. They have charged it so often in the last few days that it has hardened into a general perception that Crusius was inspired by the president. But read the manifesto. It's just not there.

14 minutes ago, swordfish said:

In reference to "You can try to deflect and be obtuse but he went to kill Mexicans and was clearly influenced by our very terrific Prez". 

He said his actions would be misunderstood as being tied to Trump.

"My ideology has not changed for several years," Crusius wrote. "My opinions on automation, immigration, and the rest predate Trump and his campaign for president. I [am] putting this here because some people will blame the President or certain presidential candidates for the attack. This is not the case. I know that the media will probably call me a white supremacist anyway and blame Trump's rhetoric. The media is infamous for fake news. Their reaction to this attack will likely just confirm that."

That was the only time Trump appeared in the manifesto, and it appears clear that Crusius borrowed his "fake news" characterization of the news media from the president. But that is not what Trump's critics have charged. They have charged that Trump inspired Crusius to kill. They have charged it so often in the last few days that it has hardened into a general perception that Crusius was inspired by the president. But read the manifesto. It's just not there.

It's a manifesto, so he's obviously lying. Right?

One wonders why our civilian peacekeepers, aka local law enforcement, are allowed to own and use military grade weaponry,  but now the call is not allow the actual civilians to own and use them?

Cops Still Love Their Armored Vehicles: https://reason.com/2019/08/13/cops-still-love-their-armored-vehicles/

The pay-only-for-shipping purchase of an armored vehicle by the police department in the nearest incorporated town to my home was "the best $4,000 Cottonwood PD ever spent," according to a recent article in the local newspaper. That's a debatable assertion, though it probably doesn't matter to you unless you're a Cottonwood taxpayer. But it's a reminder that while Americans may have lost interest in the reports about police militarization that grabbed headlines a few years ago, cops are still armoring up like shock troops.

Reason was on to the steady transformation of America's police forces from civilian peacekeepers to armies of occupation even before events in Ferguson, Missouri, brought the flow of equipment, weapons, and training from the armed forces to American cops to the country's attention. "In my research into the rise and overuse of SWAT teams, I found that the single biggest motivating factor behind the surge has been a Pentagon program in place since about 1990 that offers up surplus military equipment to local police departments free of charge," wrote former Reason staffer Radley Balko  (now at The Washington Post) in 2007.

Balko went on to author Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces, published in 2014.

That was the same year U.S. News & World Report discovered the program and notedthat "police forces are increasingly turning away from developing trust … and opting instead for arsenals of assault rifles, concussion grenades and the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles, or MRAPs, that have become ubiquitous to the U.S. military presence in Iraq and Afghanistan."

And whaddya know, it's an MRAP that Cottonwood, Arizona police just added to the armory for the local multi-department rural SWAT team! "Verde Valley SWAT uses its MRAP on high-risk search warrants, SWAT events, barricade situations," reported the Verde Independent. "[Cottonwood Police Chief Steve] Gesell says its role within SWAT is fundamental."

Gesell is certainly a firm believer in the value of armored vehicles. He lost his previous gig as top cop in San Luis Obispo in part because he held out for up-armoring the department's motor pool. At least he's consistent in his beliefs, retaining his faith in rolling fortresses for addressing the sorts of law-enforcement challenges encountered in both coastal California towns and high-desert Arizona communities.

But the police chief's support for hard-core policing is hardly an isolated phenomenon in law enforcement.

If local civilian law enforcement is allowed to own and use MRAP's, concussion grenades, etc. then why can't I own and use a bazooka, or a tank?

37 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

One wonders why our civilian peacekeepers, aka local law enforcement, are allowed to own and use military grade weaponry,  but now the call is not allow the actual civilians to own and use them?

Cops Still Love Their Armored Vehicles: https://reason.com/2019/08/13/cops-still-love-their-armored-vehicles/

If local civilian law enforcement is allowed to own and use MRAP's, concussion grenades, etc. then why can't I own and use a bazooka, or a tank?

You need a federal destructive device permit, and live in a tank friendly state. 

5 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

You need a federal destructive device permit, and live in a tank friendly state. 

So that permit is just filling out a few lines and paying a few thousand $?

Is Indiana tank friendly?  There used to be a private military/tank museum near Crawfordsville that IIRC had dozens of those types of vehicles.

Just now, Muda69 said:

Is Indiana tank friendly?  There used to be a private military/tank museum near Crawfordsville that IIRC had dozens of those types of vehicles.

I've never checked. I don't own nearly enough property, they are INCREDIBLY expensive not only to run, but maintenance is off the charts. The six figure price tag is the easy part. It is my understanding you not only have to have $200 tax stamp on the main gun and any gun over .50 bore, but you also need a $200 tax stamp on each round over .50 bore. I've seen Sherman main gun casings for sale, it's cost prohibitive for pretty much anyone that doesn't have FU money. 

5 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

There used to be a guy in Westfield who owned a tank and artillery pieces, but he got imminent domained when they built Grand Park

You are not required to have any special permission from the government to own a tank with an inoperable gun. If you can afford to buy it and drive it, they are legal in all 50 states as far as I'm aware. Driving it on the public roads is another discussion. Bring your checkbook, I have read accounts that some of the gasoline variants of the Sherman get as much as .8 mile to the gallon. By contrast our current M1 main battle tank gets about .6 mile to the gallon. On the bright side of things the turbine in the M1 will run on about anything that will burn, gas, Jet A1, kerosene, diesel, etc. 

Edited by Impartial_Observer

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/08/28/report-el-paso-shooting-suspect-said-he-got-his-gun-from-romania-ammo-from-russia/

AUSTIN — The North Texas man who confessed to carrying out the mass shooting at an El Paso Walmart earlier this month told law enforcement he purchased his gun from overseas, according toThe Texas Tribune.

In a Texas Department of Public Safety report obtained by the Tribune, Patrick Crusius said he bought the AK-47 he allegedly used in the shooting from Romania and had it shipped to a gun retailer near his home in Allen. Crusius also said he purchased 1,000 rounds of ammunition from Russia.

Authorities in El Paso have said Crusius, 21, purchased his AK-47 legally. About 9,000 semi-automatic rifles were imported from Romania last year, the Tribune reports, with online buyers in the U.S. required to go through a federal background check. Texas law allows ammunition to be purchased online and shipped directly to the buyer's home.

In the DPS report, the suspect also underscored his previous statements that he targeted Hispanic shoppers, according to the Tribune. Crusius said he was surprised no one stopped him after the shooting. He called 911 after the incident, he added, and said he was unable to reach a dispatcher before he returned to the Walmart to surrender and was arrested by Texas Rangers.

The shooting left 22 people dead and dozens injured. Crusius faces capital murder charges, and the crime is being investigated as a possible hate crime.

HOLD THE PHONE>>>>!!!?  Background checks are supposed stop this from happening.......RIGHT?  This guy HAD a background check.....How are MORE BG checks gonna change this?

34 minutes ago, swordfish said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/08/28/report-el-paso-shooting-suspect-said-he-got-his-gun-from-romania-ammo-from-russia/

AUSTIN — The North Texas man who confessed to carrying out the mass shooting at an El Paso Walmart earlier this month told law enforcement he purchased his gun from overseas, according toThe Texas Tribune.

In a Texas Department of Public Safety report obtained by the Tribune, Patrick Crusius said he bought the AK-47 he allegedly used in the shooting from Romania and had it shipped to a gun retailer near his home in Allen. Crusius also said he purchased 1,000 rounds of ammunition from Russia.

Authorities in El Paso have said Crusius, 21, purchased his AK-47 legally. About 9,000 semi-automatic rifles were imported from Romania last year, the Tribune reports, with online buyers in the U.S. required to go through a federal background check. Texas law allows ammunition to be purchased online and shipped directly to the buyer's home.

In the DPS report, the suspect also underscored his previous statements that he targeted Hispanic shoppers, according to the Tribune. Crusius said he was surprised no one stopped him after the shooting. He called 911 after the incident, he added, and said he was unable to reach a dispatcher before he returned to the Walmart to surrender and was arrested by Texas Rangers.

The shooting left 22 people dead and dozens injured. Crusius faces capital murder charges, and the crime is being investigated as a possible hate crime.

HOLD THE PHONE>>>>!!!?  Background checks are supposed stop this from happening.......RIGHT?  This guy HAD a background check.....How are MORE BG checks gonna change this?

Clearly fake news, we've been told repeatedly by not only the former president and other polls, but the talking heads on TV that we can purchase guns online and have them delivered to our homes. 

With good deals on 1000 round purchases, why is this news? A LOT of people buy 1000 round lots to save money, particularly in 7.62x39 and 5.56/.223 rounds. If you shoot much at all, this just makes sense.  

• Haha 1