Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
itiswhatitis

Sullivan Golden Arrows @ Linton-Stockton Miners

Week 2 will provide anyone who attends this game with a claim to witness history.  This is the 100th meeting between these 2 programs.  It is the second longest running game in the state of Indiana.  The Arrows started their season off with a 41 - 14 home win over the North Knox Warriors.  Like the Miners, the Arrows graduated quite a few good players from last year's 10 - 2 team including their record setting (?) quarterback.  Looking at the score, it would appear they have reloaded as last year's score (at North Knox) was much closer (28 - 24).  Hopefully the Miners learned a lot from last week's 17 - 16 home loss to Southridge.  Harrell's website predicts a 10 point win for the Miners.  Just like last week, I feel this will be another close game with the winning difference being less than one score.  IF this game was at Sullivan, I'd have to give the edge to the Arrows, but since it's at Roy Williams Field, I'll give the edge to the Miners.  Best of health to both teams.  It should be a good one!

GO MINERS!!!

If Linton cant stop that run up the gut play who knows whats gonna happen. All the upcoming teams are watching

Edited by Globemstr3

Any word on the status of Gretlin & Robinson?

Sullivan destroyed NK,  but NK  doesn't have much this year.Too many young and inexperienced players on this years team, now maybe 2 years from now they might be competitive. I see them maybe winning 1 possibly 2 games this year. If Linton can stop the run up the middle and defend the deep pass plays then they will win easily.

Big week for both teams as Linton is coming off a rare regular season loss and Sullivan looks to prove they can play with the Miners.

This Friday marks the 100th time Linton and Sullivan have played each other with my figures at Sullivan leading the series 50-47 with 2 ties.  It is the oldest rivalry dating back to 1906 but they have not played every year.

Linton has dominated the series the past 15 years winning 12 times.  The past two years the Miners went to state and in the process routed some pretty good Sullivan teams 48-7 and 46-22.

Sullivan beat North Knox easily 45-14, but it could have been a lot worse.  I don’t see North Knox with a winning record this year. I didn’t appear N.K. adjusted to our offense the entire game and our JV played the 4th quarter. 

Linton’s first five games are very tough and their last four are significantly weaker, which is great for a post season run.  Linton goes on the road to always tough Monrovia next week so I hope the Miners overlook Sullivan.

I was surprised to see Linton keep it that close with Southridge, as I thought Southrdge were 2-3 td’s better. 

Sullivan plays lots of sophomores and juniors as it looks like the Miners do too.  The next few years both schools should field good teams.  Both teams graduated most of their offense but I don’t see Sullivan’s offense missing much of a beat.

I predict Sullivan wins 36-30 in overtime.  I have always predicted a shootout and it’s never come to fruition.  But, I feel this Friday night there will be lots of scoring. Sagarin predicts this game Miners win 38-28. Calpreps predicts Linton winning 28-21.

Keys to the game for Sullivan- Win the physical and intensity battle.  If we can get the momentum and big hits, I think we will win, maybe win big.  I could add that we need to establish a rushing attack especially after hearing from Linton fans how Southridge ran up the middle whenever they wanted. 

But, this game is at Roy Williams field and the place should be rocking…Miners always play tough at home no matter what team it is.  This is a huge game for Linton because they could start 0-2 with Monrovia and Ritter looming. I would prefer to win at Roy Williams field than Sullivan’s field every year..

Where is a good mom and pop place to eat in Linton?

Sportsman Pub!!!!   course that's also where I'll be gigging post game.. but they sure pack them in on game night for pre battle steaks!!!

I fear the worst for Robinson.. and I hate it....He was an unknown factor coming into the year, and it looked like he was gonna be a big contributor.  I am holding out big hopes for him that it's not as bad as it looked.  Gretlein..don't know...but I know it could go either way... OK.. or bad.  2 seniors hurt in the opening game is ne ver good.

I will say this.. I think these Linton kids are gonna be real focused this week for sure.  I don't think any thoughts at all of Monrovia.  Maybe had we beaten Southridge the kids might think ahead... but not now.  And I wouldn't say Linton ever ever ever overlooks Sullivan to be honest... but I think they will have a chip on their shoulders this week...I think they will be out to prove something, and I think they will be very physical about it.

What is Dakota Caton's issue?? I saw he was not dressed last week.  Also saw a couple numbers that were not on the  2016 roster.. are these players who changed position.. move ins or actual freshmen?

I'll echo Pride's recommendation of the "Pub".  If you cannot get in there, the Grill is good as well.  But, if you belong to the Elks Lodge in Sullivan, it is prime rib night at Linton Elks Lodge 866 Friday night.  That's where my pregame will be.

Thanks Miner Pride and 300 game.. I will check out the Pub pre-game on Friday. 

We had several key players out last week against NK, including Dakota.  I would imagine same goes for this week...but come playoff time we will be at full strength.

What's up with the Linton police saying they will tow all vehicles that are not parked legally?  The place will be hopping and there aren't enough parking spots so sometimes you have to make your own!  

My prediction is that Linton wins the 100th game and sets the tone for the remainder of the century, or until they ban football for safety reasons, whichever comes first. 

21 hours ago, hick said:

Any word on the status of Gretlin & Robinson?

Unofficial, but doesn't look good.  Probably both be out a while.  From a semi-reliable source.

It was painful watching Linton's offense struggle last week. Miner fans are not used to seeing that.  Outside of Cox's long TD run I think the Miners gained something like 27 yards on the ground.  Even with the 30 yards or so negative yards due to two bad snaps, that's still awfully anemic.  I hope that was at least partly because of a stout Southridge defense.  Cox's run accounted for Linton's only offensive score.  I expect a better offensive showing Friday night against the Arrows.  In spite of all Linton's shortcomings, Linton might still have come away with the win if the two point conversion attempt after Cox's run had been good and it might well have been good if Cox had been in the game instead of on the sideline with leg cramps.

Probably not relative to the Friday night game but the Linton JV had no trouble offensively or defensively against the Sullivan JV last evening, winning 31 - 6.

Edited by kingtut
additional thought.

Interesting to play JV games before the varsity in football -- especially at a small school where you could see the matchups again on Friday in certain situations.

18 hours ago, kingtut said:

It was painful watching Linton's offense struggle last week. Miner fans are not used to seeing that.  Outside of Cox's long TD run I think the Miners gained something like 27 yards on the ground.  Even with the 30 yards or so negative yards due to two bad snaps, that's still awfully anemic.  I hope that was at least partly because of a stout Southridge defense.  Cox's run accounted for Linton's only offensive score.  I expect a better offensive showing Friday night against the Arrows.  In spite of all Linton's shortcomings, Linton might still have come away with the win if the two point conversion attempt after Cox's run had been good and it might well have been good if Cox had been in the game instead of on the sideline with leg cramps.

Probably not relative to the Friday night game but the Linton JV had no trouble offensively or defensively against the Sullivan JV last evening, winning 31 - 6.

Or if there had been another 30 seconds on the clock at the end of the game it may have been a different outcome.  I get the frustration at not much in the run game.  I hope to see a bit more passing this week instead of (like last week) waiting until "desperate mode" at the end of the game.  Would like to see some passing on running downs just to (maybe) loosen up the Arrows' defense.  It looked to me like Cox was throwing a pretty good ball.  Even those short dump offs usually can get 4+ yards.  The weather forecast this week says it will be a little more pleasant temperature and less humid.  I would hope that cramps won't be an issue Friday night.  The run Cox had was really nice.  He still has some speed.  The defender tried to get the angle but seemed to run out of gas and Cox looked like he hit another gear around the 20 yard line.  Hope to see more of that from ALL of the backs this week!

If's dont count Miners lost that game with a dismal offense against maybe a very good defense. We shall see Friday night. Then again Linton held Southridge to 17 pts

If Linton can stop the up the gut run I think we will be very sucessfull against the Arrows

26 minutes ago, DuggerUnion said:

Best of luck to both teams and fans, from the town that seperates you!

Gonna be a BIG game for both schools

I don't have a dog in the fight but I would think after the success the Miners have enjoyed in recent memory, they wouldn't overlook anyone after a loss. And if this is the rivalry game it is often billed up to be...Sullivan better bring their A game if they want to stay within 2-3 scores. I like Linton in this game 39-16

10 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Or if there had been another 30 seconds on the clock at the end of the game it may have been a different outcome.  I get the frustration at not much in the run game.  I hope to see a bit more passing this week instead of (like last week) waiting until "desperate mode" at the end of the game.  Would like to see some passing on running downs just to (maybe) loosen up the Arrows' defense.  It looked to me like Cox was throwing a pretty good ball.  Even those short dump offs usually can get 4+ yards.  The weather forecast this week says it will be a little more pleasant temperature and less humid.  I would hope that cramps won't be an issue Friday night.  The run Cox had was really nice.  He still has some speed.  The defender tried to get the angle but seemed to run out of gas and Cox looked like he hit another gear around the 20 yard line.  Hope to see more of that from ALL of the backs this week!

Pretty sure you'll see more passing from Linton this week.  The offense will be more loosened up.  It was good to talk to you last week at the game.  I enjoyed it.

18 hours ago, kingtut said:

Pretty sure you'll see more passing from Linton this week.  The offense will be more loosened up.  It was good to talk to you last week at the game.  I enjoyed it.

I"m hoping they will.  They seemed to have some success with it.  Would hope to also see a better flow with the offense.  They looked tight and somewhat out of sync.  A few successful passes earlier in the game may give them a bit more confidence and a little more success on the running plays.  It was great talking with you even though I had to wait until your interview was over.  LOL  Was that one of the local TV stations?  I think this will be another good game.  Don't' expect a blowout this year either way.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:07 PM, silvertone1696 said:

I don't have a dog in the fight but I would think after the success the Miners have enjoyed in recent memory, they wouldn't overlook anyone after a loss. And if this is the rivalry game it is often billed up to be...Sullivan better bring their A game if they want to stay within 2-3 scores. I like Linton in this game 39-16

100th meeting, bitter rivalry, and Sullivan's 1st year Head Coach is a former Linton QB/Asst Coach.  No one's getting overlooked....and your score prediction looks about right.

Edited by SouthNZone

I'm happy this game is the week before they come to Monrovia for the simple fact that I get to watch it on film! 

Good luck to both sides and have an injury-free game!!!  Should be lots of fun!

Linton Sullivan; Miners Arrows; 15 miles of Indiana 54 separate the two school.  100th meeting.  Both school coming off their best seasons…  Linton 15-0… Sullivan 10-2.  Both teams lose a lot of 2 and 3 years starters, and both have a lot of new faces in key positions on both sides of the ball.  Sullivan comes in after a thorough domination of North Knox 45-15, while Linton lost 17-16 to ranked Southridge, in what ended a 19 game regular season win streak, as well as their first home lost on Roy Williams since Sep 10’a 33-29 loss to West Vigo in 2010. 

Time is of the essence here.. so right to it. 

We’ve all known Jack Connor was going to be a great athlete at Sullivan, and now is his chance to shine. At 6’1 200 the Junior wearing #17 takes over at QB for Trey Powell (And his 3,197 passing yards with 37 TDs), and immediately presents problems for defenses with his ability to pass, but possible more so, in tucking and running.  He led Sullivan with 61 yards and 2 TDs on just 8 carries last week (7.6 per carry).  But he was deadly in passing the ball completing 12 of 15 (80%!) for 301 yards, 4 TDs against 1 pick.  Consider this being done without the services of Dakota Caton, who as a junior racked up 1,398 yards receiving on 79 catches and a whipping 18 TDs.  It was sophomore Jackson Shake (#45 6’3 220) who lines up in the “Y” position, that led the way with 4 catches for 124 yard and a score…and who’s size could be hard to defend with small DBs.  Daylan Curtis (Jr #26, 5’9 165) at the “X” position, caught 2 TD passes of 3 catches for 102.  A catch each for soph Karter Vernelson (#7 5’10 165) for 10 yards, Sr Chris Taylor (#11, 5’11 185) for 17, and a TD pass to RB Wes Bedwell (Sr #42, 5’8 180) of 37 yards.  Hunter Dillingham (Sr #8, 6’3 180) also hauled in 2 passes for 11 yards.  Sullivan ran for 135 yards on 29 carries (4.7 per) with Curtis 6-24, and Bedwell 5-18 supporting Connor. Also newcomber Jakeb Skinner (Sr #34, 5’7 160) added 32 yards on 8 carries.

Up front for Coach Powell.. he has all underclassmen starting on the Offensive line as Sr center Logan McKinney (#58, 6’1 235) is listed as probable.  If he can’t go it will be soph Lincoln McCammon (#53, 6’3 200) at center, with Juniors Hayden Sater (#74 6’0 255) and Jacob Freels (#52, 6’1 200) at G/T on the left side, and Jr Tyler Emmons (#57, 6’0 210) and soph Dane Moody (#65, 6’0 220) on the right.  It is truly a completely new bunch of Arrows starting on the offensive side as both Caton and McKinney were starters in last year’s game, both listed as injured this week… leaving only Curtis as a returning starter of the 11 that took the field against Linton last year.   Sound familiar Miner Fans?

It should, as very similar situation exists in Miner Land.  Only Keaton Cox returns from the normal starting 11 of 2016, and he moved to QB.  Cox had an impressive 77 yard TD run to put Linton ahead against Southridge, but that was about the end of offensive highlights until a late passing game blossomed in the last desperation series.  The vaunted Miner multi player rush game was held in check by the Raider defense as only 121 yards gained on 23 carries…and that’s misleading since 77 came on 1 carry.  Cox (#4, Sr 5’9 175; 9-80), RB Chance Howard (#20 Sr, 6’0 180, 5-14), Lance Dyer (#5, Soph, 5’7 175, 4-21) and Luke Lannan (#8, Soph, 5’6 165, 5-6) will need to step up this week if Linton wants to get that first win of 2017. However they cannot do it on their own--- many hits last week were at the line of scrimmage or behind.  They didn’t have much chance to utilize their speed or ability.  The offensive line will certainly have been a focus in drills this past week.  I would expect a better performance in such a big rival game.  Soph Center Matthew Ketchem (#54, 5’10 210) will have to avoid the bad snap---but in all honesty---the center is a position nobody notices until there is a bad snap.  For his first game starting as a soph, AND, against an opponent like Southridge, I’d say he did pretty well!  Ben Burris (Jr #72, 6’0 165) and Ryan Figg (Sr #63, 6’0 200) will be guards, while Levi Jerrells (Sr #77 6’2 230) and Trevor Hill (Sr #61, 6’3 225) will man the Tackle positions.  They have 1 game under their belt as a cohesive unit, and depth will be more an issue than before with the injuries to Braxton Robinson and Craig Gretlein. I’d expect to see Tyler Mongeau (soph #79, 6’2 185) spell some relief at Guard.

Passing was something we all wondered about coming into week 1,  but Cox was 3 of 4 at the half, yet it still looked shaky.  Going into the last drive, the Miners opened it up a bit and were able to move the ball well with Cox dishing the ball to Dreyden Ward (Sr #2, 5’9 160) 3 times for 22 yards, and Devyn Robertson (Soph #18, 2 for 27 yards).  Over all Keaton was 7 of 14 for 66 yards and 2 picks ( one on the last play of the game).  Howard caught a screen for 5 yards, and L.Dyer went 12 yards on a 4th down catch early in the game.   Of course, football minds know that Southridge was more than willing to give up the underneath pass that late in the game, still the execution was there, and more importantly…the confidence was borne.   Rounding things out in the passing game is Tight End Braiden Irish (Sr #44, 5’10 210), who is counted on as much as a blocking lineman as a receiver. 

Another thing that stands out in looking at these lineups is Sullivan will have several one way players. Defensively I see 7 that will play defense only… not that they won’t appear offensively at times.. but this is a positive for the Arrows.  Like the offense, there are a lot of new faces on the field, but Nathan Queen (Sr #32, 5’10 200) and Wes Bedwell (Sr #42, 5’8 180) return at “will” and “mike” LB. 2 other Seniors join that group at “star’ Bradly Calloway (Sr #16, 5’10 200), and ‘wizard’ J C Wallace (Sr #18, 5’7 150).  Queen led the Arrows with 11 tackles, 2 for loss last week.  Bedwell and Wallace each with 9.  The front four feature strong side DE Kenton Williams (Soph #49 6’0 240) and DT Deonte’ Sparks (Sr #64, 5’9 220).   Sparks was on the North Central T-Birds last year. On Weak Side is DE Aiden Boston (Sr #56, 6’1 190) who had 10 tackles last week, and at DT Dalton Will (Sr #77 5’9 225).   DB’s are Chris Taylor (Sr #11, 5’11 185) and Jack Connor (Jr #17, 6’1 200).  Hunter Dillingham (Sr #8, 6’3 180) got a lot action with 4 tackles and an interception, listed at a ‘star’ LB, and Daylan Curtis (Jr #26, 5’9 165) looked to have played  a lot of safety for Connor in the blowout.  More than likely, a lot of Arrows got game experience  last week. 

The Miner Defense faced a task with the Raider offense, and figure to be tested this week with the spread offense of the Arrows, as well as Connor’s running ability.  It won’t help losing starting DT Gretlein, who was 1 of the handful of experienced players coming into 2017.  At 270 he was the biggest Miner on that D line as well.  This leaves 2 year starter Levi Jerrells (Sr #77, 6’2 230) as the anchor, at one DT, and to be honest, I’m not sure who we will see at the other.  Daymeon Alsman (Sr #75, 5’11 225) was in the game after Gretlein’s injury.  I would likely suspect Trevor Hill (Sr #61 6’3 225) might get pushed in there from his normal DE rotation that included starter Ryan Figg (Sr #63, 6’0 200) and Ben Burris (Jr #72 6’0 165).  With Soph Tyler Mongeau (#79, 6’2 185) getting some DE reps last week, there is a little bit of depth there that might allow Hill to move inside. Unfortunately Braxton Robinson (Sr #67 6’0 185) was also part of the DE depth, and was playing the bulk of the snaps at the time of this injury last week.   The Inside Backers are 3 strong with Drake Cunningham (Jr #12, 5’6 175), Chance Howard (Srr #20, 6’0 180) and Braiden Irish (Sr #44 5’10 210).  Outside saw Luke Lannan (#8 Soph, 5’6 165) and Dreyden Ward (Sr #2, 5’9 160).  Howard had 12 tackles, Cunningham 9 with 1.5 for loss. Lannan added 7.  The DB’s were where I was most concerned coming into week 1, and I was pleasantly surprised with how well they did in coverage.  I knew Keaton Cox would be solid at Free Safety, and he was in both breaking up a couple passes, as well as in run coverage (10 tackles).  However both Lance Dyer (Soph #5 5’7 175) and Cash Howard (Soph #43, 5’5 155) were solid.. .Howard with 2 interceptions as well as a couple more breakups, plus 10 tackles as well.  They will be tested more this week as I think Sullivan likes to air it out, and put many receivers out….  Southridge would do that as well… but I don’t think nearly as much at the Arrows.  One area of concern last week was no pressure on Harter from Southridge.  I’m sure that’s something Coach Gennicks is thinking about…but at the same time--- Connor can run…so you can’t just bull rush, you have to have contain as well.. and perhaps the most important thing I saw that needs remedied from week 1??? --  Tackling.  Many many times, more often than not, our kids were there to make the hit for little or no gain…and Harter and Schank broke loose from the arm tackles.  I suppose you can chalk some of that to first real game speed…and credit as well those Raider backs… but we have to make the hit stick.  I like the ferocity of the kids…the fire is there. They get after the ball… just gotta finish! 

Last bit to talk about.. special teams.  I thought Braiden Irish did a nice job kicking the ball on kickoffs, and certainly Drake Cunningham punted the ball high, I believe all were fair caught and good coverage.  I don’t know where we are in terms of kicking PAT etc.  I know a young freshman girl is on the team and is a kicking for JV… I hear she made her first one Monday.  Not sure if Coach Olly would throw a freshman out there in a big game… Obviously having a kicker to count on is a big thing…when you think we lost by a single point last week.   It appears Sullivan has a couple PK’s on their roster in Jake Voliva (check it out 6’4 250 Sr.. I wonder if there is a place kicker sneak in the playbook!)..   He was just 1 of 3 though in PAT last week, Brad Calloway, who kicks off, was 2 of 4.   Shake is the punter.. again a big kid, punted just once for 34 yards. 

That’s about all there is in terms of numbers and facts.  A lot has been made of Linton graduating 16 seniors, and how the roster has fallen to 47 from last years 59.   Sullivan was at 58 last year, and down to 50 this year…  they lost 20 seniors, 13 2 way starters, and 17 total starters.  One thing that struck me in my research though--- they’ve added 7 seniors who were not on the roster in 2016 at all.  3 of these are impact players in Dillingham, Sparks and Skinner.   One wonders if Dakota Caton will indeed be out this game or suit up in his last battle vs. Linton.  He, like Linton’s Chance Howard, was selected as one of the top 25 players to watch in Indiana football 2017 by the Indiana football digest.  It is a long season and I doubt coaches will want to take a chance on rushing a kid back.. especially in non-conference situations for the Arrows.  I will be also watching how the depth situation plays out as the game flows onward.  We had some cramp issues last week… it is not supposed to a hot night tonight.. but Sullivan definitely has a lot more 2 way guys going…

Go Miners!!  

Great write up MP,

I like seeing the miner corners are 5'7 and 5'5. I know it doesn't mean much but I'm hoping we can take advantage of the size differences with some of our taller 6'3/6'4 wr's (I am 5'7 and was a corner)

Jake skinner is a sophomore or junior. He was our best RB in youth years ago and took a few years off

Our big kicker is our soccer goalie (record holder btw). By the end of the year he should catch on to kicking a football.  

Dillingham started a few games as a freshman. Brings intensity and I'm sure the team is glad to have him back after two years off.

and you're right about Jack Conner being a great athlete. His brothers were a big part of last year's success and they have now graduate so it's his time to shine. His first year in the youth program he was a solid lineman. He made the switch to QB seamlessly. 

Well, the time has come....My prediction:

Miners  28

Arrows  24

You know I can't pick against my team folks.  We shall see.  I look for a barn burner tonight.

1 hour ago, 300Game said:

Well, the time has come....My prediction:

Miners  28

Arrows  24

You know I can't pick against my team folks.  We shall see.  I look for a barn burner tonight.

I'm surprised you picked such a close score. Typically Miner fans have themselves winning by much larger margins. 

Ill stick with my 36-30 Win for the Golden Arrows of Sullivan!