Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Question about GID thread policy

Why was the thread which was originally created several months ago,  concerning Tri-West and head football coach Mr. Bruce, apparently deleted/hidden from the The Indiana High School Football Forum?  Especially when new information is starting to come to light?

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2019/08/08/tyler-bruce-tri-west-abuse-molestation-allegations/1959319001/

• Disdain 1

Because I decided that the discussion might leave the administrators open to possible lawsuit.   I might be a little over-reactive, but I for one don't want to have to hire legal counsel to defend discussions on a football website.

Not being a lawyer, I might be wrong.   But I would rather be safe than sorry with so much other there is to discuss.   Who knows what someone would/could look for as a target of their frustration.    I don't want to open myself up to being that target.

Sorry for your disappointment Muda.    

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, 77Jimmie said:

Because I decided that the discussion might leave the administrators open to possible lawsuit.   I might be a little over-reactive, but I for one don't want to have to hire legal counsel to defend discussions on a football website.

Not being a lawyer, I might be wrong.   But I would rather be safe than sorry with so much other there is to discuss.   Who knows what someone would/could look for as a target of their frustration.    I don't want to open myself up to being that target.

Sorry for your disappointment Muda.    

Wow, you really believe this particular case is that divisive?  Similar discussions over different cases have been held on the GID and I don't recall legal action being threatened against the site itself.

And yes I am disappointed that the free and open exchange of ideas is being curtailed on the GID, at least regarding this topic.

• Disdain 1

Just now, Muda69 said:

Wow, you really believe this particular case is that divisive?  Similar discussions over different cases have been held on the GID and I don't recall legal action being threatened against the site itself.

And yes I am disappointed that the free and open exchange of ideas is being curtailed on the GID, at least regarding this topic.

I agree with jimmie

Not worth the hassle and legal exposure to allow this to continue

Good call

Can somebody with legal experience please tell me exactly what kind of 'legal exposure' the GID may open itself up to by allowing this particular situation to be discussed on the GID, especially as I have said before previous similar situations have been discussed with zero legal ramifications?    

Why is Tri-West and Mr. Bruce treated like kryptonite?

29 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Can somebody with legal experience please tell me exactly what kind of 'legal exposure' the GID may open itself up to by allowing this particular situation to be discussed on the GID, especially as I have said before previous similar situations have been discussed with zero legal ramifications?    

First, tell me where to send the bill. 🤑

Seriously, the risk of liability for an Internet forum that merely provides a place for people to express opinions, without endorsing them, is infinitesimal. However, that’s the risk of actually being found liable. The risk of being sued is somewhat greater. A site like this which barely scrapes by financially would be ruined by the cost of simply defending a meritless lawsuit. That’s what insurance is for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, DT said:

I agree with jimmie

Not worth the hassle and legal exposure to allow this to continue

Good call

Thank you DT.

This thread was not hidden because of the person who is the focus.  I do not know that person.   It's just the direction of the whole situation that concerns me.

12 minutes ago, Bobref said:

First, tell me where to send the bill. 🤑

Seriously, the risk of liability for an Internet forum that merely provides a place for people to express opinions, without endorsing them, is infinitesimal. However, that’s the risk of actually being found liable. The risk of being sued is somewhat greater. A site like this which barely scrapes by financially would be ruined by the cost of simply defending a meritless lawsuit. That’s what insurance is for.

This is my concern.

Yeah.  If everyone wants to donate to a legal fund, or an insurance policy,  I will leave these threads open.  Other than that, it's not going to be my money that is at risk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was curious also why the thread was taken down. One of the Indy news stations has the story on their FB. Many of the posts are quite raunchy against both coach and the victim. So social media such as this site and news media FB responses are subject to law suits? I agree we are here to promote football etc. Just curious.

Edited by cw13

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Bottom line, it's not your sandbox. They don't have to justify anything. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Bottom line, it's not your sandbox. They don't have to justify anything. 

Correct, they don't have to.  But there is something, although dying in our society, called common courtesy.  And I appreciate Jimmie taking the time out of his busy schedule to address my question promptly and honestly.

So will other future threads about this subject, about other coaches at other schools, also be unceremoniously deleted/hidden?  If so, and if this is now the official GID policy, IMHO it needs to be added to the GID posting guidelines. 

• Disdain 1

People's careers and personal reputations are at stake.  Regardless of the legal outcome, individuals can be severely damaged by random comments made on unaccountable messageboards.  

This is the primary role of the moderator.  To evaluate and determine what is and what is not appropriate for further discussion.

I again endorse and applaud the decision to remove the thread.

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Correct, they don't have to.  But there is something, although dying in our society, called common courtesy.  And I appreciate Jimmie taking the time out of his busy schedule to address my question promptly and honestly.

So will other future threads about this subject, about other coaches at other schools, also be unceremoniously deleted/hidden?  If so, and if this is now the official GID policy, IMHO it needs to be added to the GID posting guidelines. 

Muda.

I can't really answer that question.  I make judgement calls the best I can.  If I feel a thread is going too far, I will take action.  Other than that.  Have fun.

Sorry I can't give you a more defined answer.  Somethings I just decide based on the current circumstances which change by the hour.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Let it go.

8 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

This site is meant to promote football. Yes the case involves  a football coach, but with possible litigation, I agree it is best to cautious. We are a bunch of football junkies and many of us can't tell the difference between rumors and facts.  

Yes, I feel that TA would have made a similar decision. Its also a distraction for the victims involved.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Maybe Muda should start up their own high school football web site so those threads can be openly discussed and presented?? Muda just needs to move on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being the main TW guy on the site, I would say it’s a good call to take it down for now.  I know both families involved and it is tearing these communities apart (especially on Facebook).  This could really go either way.  For some reason, Tyler has really dug in and decided to fight these accusations.  Most guilty teachers usually take a deal and walk away to avoid prolonged publicity.  I must confess that it doesn’t look good, but he deserves due process.  Ultimately, I think he will not be charged with a crime and will eventually resign.  This is really not even a football issue anymore.  Coaches have adjusted and the program has moved on.  I am 99.99% sure he will not return to his coaching duties.  Discussion on here only serves to worsen Tyler reputation further.  Probably not something GID wants to be involved in.  Now you will probably have to take this thread down.  LOL!

• Like 4

On 8/9/2019 at 7:46 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

I make judgment calls all the time. I get it. 

Same. I'm a correctional sergeant, so I literally make split second decisions for a living. I also have to pay close attention to what I post on my social media accounts. The less said, the better is what I try to follow.

• Like 1