Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×

After reading this scintillating conversation, I was compelled to look something up.  After 4 weeks of play, the #1 Strength of Schedule in the state belongs to Center Grove.  #3 is Warren Central.  Care to guess who #2 is?  Chatard.  So the #1 and #3 SOS's belong to two 6A annual powerhouses.  I find it extremely interesting that a school 3 classes below them has the second hardest schedule strength.  I don't give a witch's teeth if they are 1 - 3.  They are getting ranked in the polls because people KNOW who those 3 losses came to.  And besides, the ONLY use for polls is to give fans something to brag about.  It means absolutely ZIP, NADA, ZERO about where your team is compared to everyone else in your class.  If that were the case, then everyone would play the EXACT same schedule.  That is the ONLY way you could do a comparison with a poll.  I highlighted 4 weeks of play so people wouldn't miss it.  They won't stay at #2 for the entire season, but for now they are #2.  Okay, I'll return to reading.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Stink Town Clown said:

Lysander......We know you love Stink Town!

From the stands, now....I may have had a few Tiger BL's....but I believe there was a few Tigers on the bench for a while......That being said, Tigers fumbled opening Kick-off for a score..then gave up one more in 2nd qt. Tiger O left points off board, missing on some big pass plays. Should have been a 30-7 game, but it wasn't. Stink Town is legit, just need to stay healthy. 

Stink does agree with 3A more competitive than 4A. Since CE and New Pal have moved up....4A is a JOKE! Big Bad Boys on the hill will run through the sectional....unless somehow FC cranks it up. I am looking forward to the game this Friday....Need to see FC first hand. 

It's funny Stink, over the years from 2005-10, I'd usually considered 4A the overall best class pound for pound (with 2A a REALLY close 2nd).  It was just a few years ago when, I think, both Cathedral and Reitz were ranked solidly within the Top 10 teams all classes (Sagarin) and the next year I believe both Cathedral and Dwenger were.  I also think, more recently, both Columbus East and New Pal ended the season in the top 5-6 (not together in the same year I don't think).

Frankly, when Cathedral, Reitz, Columbus East, Roncalli (though they were starting to weaken in a relative sense during that period), Dwenger and Lowell (this was just before the rise of New Pal) were tearing it up 4A was insanely good.  Look who sits atop 5A at the moment - 4A teams by actual size.  I think 4A is decent these days and has some solid teams up top but it's been stripped of some of its heaviest hitters.  

I was critical of 5A when it started because I didn't think it had many teams (who were actually 5A in size) with a consistently great tradition since 2000 or so (excluding Snider...and later Westfield who became really good).  It's a pretty solid class these days but you can thank 4A teams that bumped up for that in large part. 

Honestly, the rise of 3A is relatively recent.  Sure there were 2-4 pretty solid teams in any given year but it sure didn't have the depth of 4A.

To be clear, I am talking about classes overall.  There have been some individual teams that I have considered the best teams pound for pound in the State - LCC (more than 1 year) and Luers (2012 - especially because they beat a hellaciously good Ritter team that year) come to mind as examples of that.

Edited by Lysander

I have absolutely no idea about the team, but I don't quite get the love for NC Farmersburg this year from the AP, Coaches, and the GID poll. Haven't they had some pretty rough seasons lately? Sagarin ranks them all the way at 23rd playing the 302nd best schedule in the state

8 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

After reading this scintillating conversation, I was compelled to look something up.  After 4 weeks of play, the #1 Strength of Schedule in the state belongs to Center Grove.  #3 is Warren Central.  Care to guess who #2 is?  Chatard.  So the #1 and #3 SOS's belong to two 6A annual powerhouses.  I find it extremely interesting that a school 3 classes below them has the second hardest schedule strength.  I don't give a witch's teeth if they are 1 - 3.  They are getting ranked in the polls because people KNOW who those 3 losses came to.  And besides, the ONLY use for polls is to give fans something to brag about.  It means absolutely ZIP, NADA, ZERO about where your team is compared to everyone else in your class.  If that were the case, then everyone would play the EXACT same schedule.  That is the ONLY way you could do a comparison with a poll.  I highlighted 4 weeks of play so people wouldn't miss it.  They won't stay at #2 for the entire season, but for now they are #2.  Okay, I'll return to reading.

Interesting to know that Strength of Schedule matters. I've known for a long time that Warren Central plays a lot of tough games. The Warriors are a dominant force in Indiana because they have a tough schedule.

13 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I agree with pretty much everything you've stated. I will also add to your statement that the Strength of Schedule is from Sagarin which does not incorporate any out of State competition.  There are 13 plus teams with 1 or more out of state opponents. You can look at Calpreps which gives a SOS like Sagarin but includes out of state opponents in the calculation. As it stands right now (it will constantly change as opponents of teams win or lose) here are the top 10 SOS.

1. Warren Central 62.4

2. Cathedral 51.6

3. Center Grove 51.3

4. Pike 49.0

5. Carmel 46.8

6. North Central 44.6

7. Bishop Chatard 44.5

8. Avon 43.4

9. Lawrence North 43.2

10. Lawrence Central 41.8 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

I agree with pretty much everything you've stated. I will also add to your statement that the Strength of Schedule is from Sagarin which does not incorporate any out of State competition.  There are 13 plus teams with 1 or more out of state opponents. You can look at Calpreps which gives a SOS like Sagarin but includes out of state opponents in the calculation. As it stands right now (it will constantly change as opponents of teams win or lose) here are the top 10 SOS.

1. Warren Central 62.4

2. Cathedral 51.6

3. Center Grove 51.3

4. Pike 49.0

5. Carmel 46.8

6. North Central 44.6

7. Bishop Chatard 44.5

8. Avon 43.4

9. Lawrence North 43.2

10. Lawrence Central 41.8 

Yes I used Sagarin. Even going with Calpreps, Maxpreps or whateverpreps, there are still only five 6A teams (and Cathedral which plays out of state powers in Ohio every year) above 3A Chatard.  And yes, SOS changes from week to week with a team's schedule.  That's why I said after 4 weeks in my post and wanted to clarify I wasn't talking about their entire season.  Keep in mind I am not a Chatard fan, but I am a fan of high school football.  I have a lot of respect for well run and successful programs.  Doesn't mean I ONLY "back" winners.  I see success as being more than just becoming a state champion.  Success can come at all levels.  If a person ONLY considers being state champions as successful, then they are missing the point of success.  In that logic, only companies who are #1 in their respective field(s), are successful.  All others are failures.  Sorry, I don't buy into that.  Anyway, thanks for the additional info on the SOS's.  I still find it extremely interesting that a 3A school has that great of an SOS compared to all of the BIG schools and some of their fans' big egos towards smaller enrollment schools.  Enjoy the rest of the season!

37 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Yes I used Sagarin. Even going with Calpreps, Maxpreps or whateverpreps, there are still only five 6A teams (and Cathedral which plays out of state powers in Ohio every year) above 3A Chatard.  And yes, SOS changes from week to week with a team's schedule.  That's why I said after 4 weeks in my post and wanted to clarify I wasn't talking about their entire season.  Keep in mind I am not a Chatard fan, but I am a fan of high school football.  I have a lot of respect for well run and successful programs.  Doesn't mean I ONLY "back" winners.  I see success as being more than just becoming a state champion.  Success can come at all levels.  If a person ONLY considers being state champions as successful, then they are missing the point of success.  In that logic, only companies who are #1 in their respective field(s), are successful.  All others are failures.  Sorry, I don't buy into that.  Anyway, thanks for the additional info on the SOS's.  I still find it extremely interesting that a 3A school has that great of an SOS compared to all of the BIG schools and some of their fans' big egos towards smaller enrollment schools.  Enjoy the rest of the season!

Just to be clear I do agree with your post. I just wanted to add to it the out of state opponents. It bumped Chatard down a few spots but they will climb a little more. You enjoy the rest of the season as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Just to be clear I do agree with your post. I just wanted to add to it the out of state opponents. It bumped Chatard down a few spots but they will climb a little more. You enjoy the rest of the season as well!

No I got where you were coming from and understood you agreed..  No worries. 

I think everyone is sleeping on the team that put Chatard out last year. Danville is playing out of their mind right now and that team is loaded 

• Upvote 4

Stinky, Stink, Stink 1.2..3...

Jbk2 thanks for bringing that up

cause good ol STC would like to remind thee.....

I think you are talking about Danville if my memory is clear? But refresh me of the team that ended Danville's year? No one should sleep on good ol' Stink Town, cause they have the dudes to pound, pound, pound! 

I do agree with all though, 3A Top to Bottom those teams could all end up at the "dome" (LOS)

Stink Town it was Danville and I believe it was Lawrenceburg that put them out

1 hour ago, Jbk2 said:

I think everyone is sleeping on the team that put Chatard out last year. Danville is playing out of their mind right now and that team is loaded 

I've got them in my top 5 on the GID Poll.  That Lebanon blowout was big time (just a week after Lebanon knocked off a very solid Zionsville team.....who had beat 6A Pike the week before). 

3A really is hard to rank each week. 

Edited by Lysander

North Central (Farmersburg) is a top 5 team in the South.  Not sure where that puts them at the state level.  NC has been average or slightly above recently... but they are loaded with some solid senior lineman and a handful of really good junior skill players.  I would say NC and Eastern(Greene) are the favorites in their sectional.  I think they have a little more talent than Eastern, but Eastern will probably have the best player on the field in Caleb Hamilton.  Truthfully, I think either one of those teams could roll until they meet Lutheran.