Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2019 all things 5A

No doubt everyone will be gunning for New Palestine . Theoretically after winning the 5a title by 14 points last year one could make a case that this year isn't a shoe in title year for NP.  Cathedral narrowly lost to DC last season one year could make a yuge difference. However unless someone did some serious off season improvements NP should probably coast to a title again .   How do DC and Cathedral look this season . I was under the impression dc lost some seniors off last seasons runner up team. phjindy still in the house? How  do the irish look? Other 5a speculators ? 

Not sure "coast" is the word I'd use.  New Pal returns quite a few players, but also lost a lot of quality seniors that played major roles.  QB, WR, center, guard, and 3 ILB all graduated.  The center also played D-line and has moved on to play at UIndy.  The WR also played CB and is gonna play baseball at Indiana Wesleyan.  And one of the LB is gonna play at Taylor.  Lost some studs.  Need some kids to step up into those spots.

Edited by CaptainHook
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Not sure "coast" is the word I'd use.  New Pal returns quite a few players, but also lost a lot of quality seniors that played major roles.  QB, WR, center, guard, and 3 ILB all graduated.  The center also played D-line and has moved on to play at UIndy.  The WR also played CB and is gonna play baseball at Indiana Wesleyan.  And one of the LB is gonna play at Taylor.  Lost some studs.  Need some kids to step up into those spots.

Oh, i was under the impression that they were returning quite a few players. So maybe it is more of a up for grabs scenario. I'd like to know more about the other teams in the top ten . I saw the preseason poll was out but several of those teams were from up north and i do not know much about them. BHSS should be really good but i wouldn't label them as a contender just yet  . Their basketball program returns three starting seniors one of whom is committed to play at iu , so  i think a lot of the focus in the high school sports at bhss this year may fall on the basketball team I hope not because i think they have a shot at making a run in the tourney but just don't know yet.     Curious as to what castle returns as well. They fought till the end at columbus east in the regional last year. So i would think they would have some momentum from that experience.      And as always we have the irish   and i have not followed them in recent years so i have no clue what they bring this season 

4 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

NP does return 7 offensive starters and 8 defensive starters as well as punter and kicker.

It would be a monumental upset if NP doesn’t win the 5A state title.. they are absolutely loaded this year. Heard that Hook kid is pretty good 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

It would be a monumental upset if NP doesn’t win the 5A state title.. they are absolutely loaded this year. Heard that Hook kid is pretty good 😉

If Cathedral or Dwenger win, there won't be anything "monumental" about it. I think it's ok to say that NP might be the favorite. If Cathedral or Dwenger beat them it's because they are the better team................and it might happen.

11 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

No doubt everyone will be gunning for New Palestine . Theoretically after winning the 5a title by 14 points last year one could make a case that this year isn't a shoe in title year for NP.  Cathedral narrowly lost to DC last season one year could make a yuge difference. However unless someone did some serious off season improvements NP should probably coast to a title again .   How do DC and Cathedral look this season . I was under the impression dc lost some seniors off last seasons runner up team. phjindy still in the house? How  do the irish look? Other 5a speculators ? 

Favorites probably,  coast, that might be a bit much.  If the QB play is solid then I'd agree 100% that NP is the favorite.  They return a lot including the Mr Football frontrunner. Only 1 potential regular season hiccup and barring injuries I'd be surprised not to see them back at LOS.

6 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

That Hook kid is probably the best football player on the team, in my opinion.   King is great, as is Spegal but Maxen is like the high school version of Ed Reed.  Love watching him play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BTF said:

If Cathedral or Dwenger win, there won't be anything "monumental" about it. I think it's ok to say that NP might be the favorite. If Cathedral or Dwenger beat them it's because they are the better team................and it might happen.

Might be the favorite? That’s comical... not even debatable they are the favorite. 

3 hours ago, BTF said:

Okay lol 

Edited by Olympian06

45 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

Might be the favorite? That’s comical... not even debatable they are the favorite. 

No one is saying they aren't the favorite. I'm just saying that when Dwenger beats them in the state finals, it won't be a "monumental" upset.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, slicer28 said:

Valpo is the real deal.  Not that far away from LOS in 6A last year.  

That's what I'm saying! How quickly we forget.  This Valpo team lost in the 6A Semistate by four points.  The defensive line, anchored by two standout juniors, is going to be a problem for a lot of offensive fronts.  If Valpo's offense can produce, they've got just as good of a shot as anybody - not just this season, but next year as well.

• Like 1

If I were a betting man I'd say cathedral based on tradition alone. Going through New pal will be difficult..MC was good..cathedral is its own entity though..Valpo and Dwenger would be epic..based on what I've seen from all four programs..cathedral just keeps coming at you..2nd stringers are starters at most schools in Indiana unless something has changed..

Peebles is only in year two with the irish. Unsure of what to expect this early in his tenure.     I would like to know more about Castle. They pushed Columbus east last year in regionals. C east Castle and Decatur were all relatively close in  overall strength . East isnt around this year so it would be interesting to know what castle returns. Not sure there are many fans here on the new forum yet.  

On a side note  does  anyone know how to tag a member instead of quoting their entire post? Seemed like you could do that on the last forum.....

10 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

Maybe they will, but that just might fall under the "careful what you wish for" category. 😉

Overconfident teams quickly find themselves down 42-14. Don't underestimate teams from The Fort.