Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Interesting play

Impartial_Observer

Question

I got this play from another forum, interested to see everyone's take. 

This play really happened to me...

2nd and 8 at the B 37-yard line. A is in an illegal formation at the snap, A1 passes and B27 interferes with A87, an B23 intercepts the pass. During the return of the interception B34 blocks A52 in the back. B23 runs out of bounds at the B 45-yard line where A63 hits him late. What do you have as a result?

This play was part of our discussion Sunday night at our meeting, I would be interested to see what everyone's take is on it...

4th and 5 from A's 35 YL. A1 punts and the kick in flight hits B68's helmet at the LOS. It goes past the NZ where it is muffed by B21 and rolls back to A's 30, where B12 picks it up and throws incomplete to A89 at A's 45. (Assuming for the sake of argument there are no ineligible A players down field on the pass) Who's ball is it and what is the down and distance?

4 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I got this play from another forum, interested to see everyone's take. 

This play was part of our discussion Sunday night at our meeting, I would be interested to see what everyone's take is on it...

2nd and 8 at the B 37-yard line. A is in an illegal formation at the snap, A1 passes and B27 interferes with A87, an B23 intercepts the pass. During the return of the interception B34 blocks A52 in the back. B23 runs out of bounds at the B 45-yard line where A63 hits him late. What do you have as a result?

All the live ball fouls offset, and we go back to the previous spot to replay the down. But then enforce the 15 yd. dead ball foul against A for the late hit. So, it’a A’s ball, 2nd and 23 at the A 48.

4th and 5 from A's 35 YL. A1 punts and the kick in flight hits B68's helmet at the LOS. It goes past the NZ where it is muffed by B21 and rolls back to A's 30, where B12 picks it up and throws incomplete to A89 at A's 45. (Assuming for the sake of argument there are no ineligible A players down field on the pass) Who's ball is it and what is the down and distance?

The touching of B68 is ignored since it occurred in the neutral zone. When B21 muffs the kick beyond the neutral zone, the continuity of downs is broken, meaning that whoever is in possession at the end of the down is going to have the ball and a fresh series. You said B12 threw the pass, but I think you meant A12, since he threw it to A89. If that is the case, then the forward pass is legal and incomplete. A’s ball, 1st and 10 at the previous spot, the A35. Game clock starts on the snap.

That second situation is one that is often discussed on officiating forums, clinics and meetings to help understand the rule. I don't know that it has ever actually happened. I did have a game once where we pregamed a punt getting blocked, remaining behind the NZ, and being recovered by the kicker who kicks it again. This is a legal kick. In that game a punt was blocked, the kicker recovered it and I heard a coach scream on the sideline, "kick it again!" He wasn't able to get it off, but it would have been crazy to see it after discussing it in pregame.

I agree with Bob on both his answers.