Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week 1 in the MIC/HCC

Gonna try to stick to what I "think" I know and preview some central Indiana contests weekly and would love for others to chime in.  I think these are still the two premier conferences in the state of Indiana and there are some intriguing matchups in week 1.  I am not much of an X's and O's guy so I'll spare you some made up analysis that makes me sound like I know what I am talking about.

Ben Davis @ Brownsburg

Could we officially see a changing of the guard as to which purple clad squad runs the west side?  If so, I think this is the year as Brownsburg should field its best team in school history (no offense to the 1980s) whereas BD is still finding an identity under second year coach Jason Simmons.  Both teams return a lot from 2018 but I think that experience is sometimes an overrated statistic, specifically in BD's case as their D was a screen door at times last year.  Gimme Brownsburg 37-30.

Pike @ Zionsville

Obviously an intriguing coaching matchup in this one but one coach (Turnquist at ZV) is walking into a much better position.  I see Zionsville as a mid-tier HCC squad and Pike as a bottom feeder in the MIC (nothing to be ashamed of).  This one surprised me last year as Pike prevailed but not this time.  Gimme Zionsville 23-17.

Harrison (West Lafayette) at Westfield

Don't know a ton about either team but I believe both are trending upward.  Gimme the 'Rocks at home 20-14.

Indianapolis Cathedral @ Noblesville

Noblesville HAS to find offense somewhere as their D was elite last season.  I expect this one to be a low-scoring battle but expect the Irish to prevail.  Gimme 16-10 Cathedral.

Decatur Central @ Franklin Central

Decatur Central will undoubtedly take a step back from 2018 but not too far.  Franklin Central is still searching for an identity in the HCC and will have a long season if they don't find answers.  They'll hang for a while but gimme the Hawks 27-17.

Avon vs Columbus North

A GREAT matchup at Lucas Oil Stadium as the Bless brothers go at it.  This will be an intriguing one as both teams should have great 2019 campaigns.  The Orioles have just a but more talent so I'll take them 23-17.

Lawrence Central @ Hamilton Southeastern

This one should also be a treat as both teams are trying to put disappointing 2018 seasons behind them.  Rodenburg at LC has now had a full year to acclimate to central Indiana football and I expect a breakthrough season from LC.  I'll take the Bears on the road 28-20.

Lawrence North @ Perry Meridian

Was a bit surprised to see the Falcons receive votes in 6A and I appreciate the fact that Lawrence North has given Coach Mallory a long leash to build his program despite taking its lumps in the MIC.  I think the Wildcats are on the verge of a breakthrough though it may not show up in many win columns.  I'll take them here 34-21.

North Central (Indy) vs Fishers

I've mentioned in other topics on this forum the job that O'Shea has done at NC is nothing short of remarkable.  Though the loss of Liam Thompson will hurt the Panthers, I still think they have the goods to get it done here and compete in the middle of the MIC.  North Central 34-17.

Center Grove @ Warren Central

This is the game of the week without a doubt.  I am torn on this one.  The QB situation at Warren Central makes me nervous as they were forced into making a late switch so I expect to see Wells taking some snaps at wildcat as a change of pace (this was mentioned by their head coach in the Indy Star).  You know what you are getting with CG.  A heavy dose of Carson Steele and sound football.  The loser of this one will have already dug themselves a hole in the MIC.  Gimme CG in a close one 27-23.

Carmel @ Louisville Trinity (KY)

Trinity is coming off of a 7-7 season and returns just 9 starters back from 2018.  They did surprise some folks in dominating a legitimate 5A powerhouse in Frederick Douglas in their scrimmage Friday night.  I feel like Carmel will have a chip on their shoulder from 2017 where they were steamrolled by Trinity.  Call it Hoosier bias but gimme the Hounds' 20-16.

What say you?

Edited by Guest

I like your style!  Although with many of your predictions you are keeping games at one score difference, kind of like an Indy Star sportswriter that doesn't want to offend any readers!

I think Cathedral will be a double digit winner as will Westfield and Decatur Central.  Carmel should be 7 points better than Trinity.  If Avon has rebuilt their offensive line then they "should" be a double digit winner.  But, the brother thing might keep this one a tossup.  I'll be in the dome Friday catching the double header.  I'm hoping Fishers can get back to where they were when they won state a few years ago. Here's hoping to a closer outcome vs. NC.

Nice to see someone from HCC country contributing in this forum.  I enjoy reading your insights!

• Like 1