Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

wrc 2019 week 1

I'll start the discussion on here. Lets see if I can shake the trees and get you WRC fans to participate :classic_cool:

Week 1:

Attica @ Riverton Parke

Fountain Central @ Southmont

North Vermillion @ Owen Valley

Seeger @ Parke Heritage

South Vermillion @ Covington

I have not heard a lot of chatter this off season about a single WRC team except rumors, and I don't like rumors. So I'm going off tradition with my picks, hoping a few prove me wrong.

My Picks:

Attica 20, Riverton Parke 19

Southmont 27, Fountain Central 21

North Vermillion 33, Owen Valley 20

Parke Heritage 34, Seeger 21

Covington 31, South Vermillion 21

For the most part id say you were correct but the match ups don't leave much to the imagination.  I think the power goes to the few  teams that have dominated over the past four or five years with the addition of Parke Heritage.   The WRC will always hold a place in my heart but I fear the days of a WRC school going deep in the tournament may be numbered.

20 hours ago, Warriorfan said:

For the most part id say you were correct but the match ups don't leave much to the imagination.  I think the power goes to the few  teams that have dominated over the past four or five years with the addition of Parke Heritage.   The WRC will always hold a place in my heart but I fear the days of a WRC school going deep in the tournament may be numbered.

I think a conference this small with the size of schools it has will eventually go into a cycle where you will not see a team make a deep run for a while. Nature of the Beast as I would call it.  Since 2000, the WRC has a pretty decent record in the state tournament. 2 state championships with 6 runner up finishes is not something to not be proud of. Considering the conference is located in west central Indiana, and a majority of the school districts serve as bed communities for larger cities with industry or the school is depending on tradition, I say that's a pretty good run.

But, yes, the WRC is overdue for a dry run, unfortunately...

The 2000 Attica team that started the era you speak of was laden with athletes. I would argue that it was one of the best senior classes the WRC has ever seen. The two Seeger teams were extremely well coached and had good talent as well, and were very deserving of being in the tournament, but it wasn't until North Vermilion went to the state game in 15 that Again you had a truly deserving team in the tournament, (and some would argue they stole that win).  The Fountain central run was two years of being completely over matched, as well as Rockville's effort against Sheridan.  Not trying to completely disagree with you about this conferences success but over a 19 year period several 1A conferences have seen similar success.  I would agree that the WRC should hold its head up for having the success it has had but sometimes i feel people think that the conference plays truly competitive football and in reality it is lacking in competition. 

21 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Which WRC teams have endzone cameras? I have been seeing more of them in recent years. Is this an important tool for coaches?

It is an invaluable tool for coaches not only in terms of scout films but a teaching tool for the team itself.  It shows the game from a completely different perspective and from the standpoint of blocking schemes and assignments it is very informative. 

3 hours ago, Warriorfan said:

The 2000 Attica team that started the era you speak of was laden with athletes. I would argue that it was one of the best senior classes the WRC has ever seen. The two Seeger teams were extremely well coached and had good talent as well, and were very deserving of being in the tournament, but it wasn't until North Vermilion went to the state game in 15 that Again you had a truly deserving team in the tournament, (and some would argue they stole that win).  The Fountain central run was two years of being completely over matched, as well as Rockville's effort against Sheridan.  Not trying to completely disagree with you about this conferences success but over a 19 year period several 1A conferences have seen similar success.  I would agree that the WRC should hold its head up for having the success it has had but sometimes i feel people think that the conference plays truly competitive football and in reality it is lacking in competition. 

I would argue with you about the 2000 Attica seniors being the best group of seniors the WRC has ever had. The 2004 Seeger seniors went 51-3 during their career, and most of them majorly contributed to that record as freshmen. Call me biased but that's my counter to your statement.

There has always been a stigma about the WRC not having teams being able to run deep in the tournament due to lack of competition in the conference. I had family who played football at Seeger and for other WRC teams in the late 70's through late 80's who heard the same thing being said.  I heard it when I went to Seeger in the late 90's-early 2000's. That statement will never change. And though other conferences in 1A have sent a team here and there in the last 19 years to the state championship, none have been as consistent as the WRC. 8 times out of 19 is not bad. The only other conference to make multiple appearances would be the Hoosier with 7 (Sheridan for 4, LCC for 3 when they were Hoosier members). You can argue the number of runner up finishes, and how badly some of those teams were overmatched, but it wasn't like they beat all WRC teams to reach the Dome/Oil Can. 

• Like 1

The tournament has only been around for 46 years and looking at something from a 19 year period may not be the best way to look at consistency, and I understand your point, but as an example the North Vermillion team that went last year in my opinion while good in the WRC was not the second best team in the state.  Im sure many would say that no other team would have challenged Pioneer but I would disagree.  Sometimes a team does make it through a little easier path by the way the tournament is seeded and you have great teams beat each other up before they make it deep. I Played in the conference myself, and I felt like we had some good teams but I was also fortunate enough to play at the second level and I can tell you that  when a team makes it deep in the tournament, people have a tendency to think that we are a highly competitive conference.  All I am saying is that while we have had some success we are not what many would call a FOOTBALL conference.   I love the WRC but I also know it is not as competitive as the people in Parke, Vermillion, Warren and Fountain counties think.  I will continue to cheer for the team/s that I have had experience with and I will root for any WRC team that goes deep, I just don't think we should over estimate the WRC. 

I would call Brian Moore a legendary coach but not Herb King.  Year in and out Seeger was extremely well coached and very dominant, I cant put Rockville under King in the same category. I would also disagree that they would call it a truly competitive conference.  I have spoke with both on several occasions on this very topic and both have said on different occasions that the conference was lacking in consistent competition.  Yes Seeger under Moore was solid and very successful and Rockville had some success as did Fountain Central for a period and Now North Vermillion is experiencing some success, but when you look at the conference across the board there are several teams that go many years without being successful.  That's where they lack competition  you will have in any year usually two team that are dominant a couple more that play well and the lower tier that struggles.  This is common in other conferences also but when this happens often it limits competition. 

New poster. Parent of a PH student. 

I will give my run down on WRC teams  take it for what it’s worth, very little  

Parke Heritage returns 1A pass leader Logan White with 2701 passing yards last season and 2 all-state receivers in Johnson and Petrillo and let my HOF’er Brian Moore. Young offensive line but played decent vs cascade and Bollinger looked good at the tailback position. Defensively the secondary struggled on deep routes but were psychical up front. Roster has 51 kids. 

North V looks big up front when I saw them at North Putnam and are obviously well coached. Didn’t see their star QB on any highlights on news 10? They will be good as usual. 

South V shouldn’t lose a game to little 1A  teams ever, is quarterback legit? Son said he went to an invite only camp at Michigan and Purdue? If so, they should be improved after a rough year! 

Attica, anyone know how many they have out? Don’t know much about them honestly. 

Seeger, my boy said number 3 is a good player and QB is an athlete. From their roster online they look big! Little Moore still there? 

Covington, will it be the Brown and Ellmore show? Ellmore was  great linebacker last year and I believe All-State, Brown is gone in the open field! Other than those 2 I don’t know much! 

Riverton has new coaches and they expect to have a good season? Kids said they “beat” Covington in the scrimmage? Truth?

FC, honestly not sure. If the smith boy isn’t playing they may struggle, He was an animal on both sides of the ball! 

Endzone cameras- PH has one and somehow they can instantly watch plays on the sideline during game from it. 

Nobody thought the WRC could send a team to state last year either........ 8 appearances since 2000 is impressive in my book. I guess you could say that it’s not a football conference if you look at teams from top to bottom. But our top teams are pretty good year in and year out. If not a football conference than what are we? 

Attica 35-6 

SM 21-14 

NV 42-12

PH 56-14

SV 21-20

good luck and stay healthy 

This talk of the wrc not being consistent and one of if not just flat out the best small school conference in Indiana is just nonsense. Name another conference of small schools with the amount of representatives at the State Championship as the WRC. This is a great small school conference with great history. And great coaches. Herb King included. 

8 minutes ago, Half time said:

This talk of the wrc not being consistent and one of if not just flat out the best small school conference in Indiana is just nonsense. Name another conference of small schools with the amount of representatives at the State Championship as the WRC. This is a great small school conference with great history. And great coaches. Herb King included. 

My thoughts too. Lol 

6 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Herb King is a stud coach and has revived a moribund Seeger football program. If I were starting a high school football program from scratch, he would be my first choice of all the WRC coaches.  

I think we will start to see the fruits of Herb and his staff's labors very soon. I think that staff is finally getting these kids to buy in to what they are selling. This season could be the breakout season that this program needs to get back into the upper half of the conference. That's how I feel about it, anyway...

14 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I think you have good insight into wrc football. The Parke Heritage Wolves are the run away favorite to win all of their games this year. With that kind of talent and a hall of fame coach they will be nearly unbeatable. I only say nearly because we are talking about high school football so anything can happen on a Friday night. 

I guess North Vermillions qb must be hurt then if he did not play in the scrimmage? We need a mandatory wrc weekly injury report from each team LOL

I would expect South Vermillion to be the best team not named Parke Heritage in the wrc. They really hit a homerun when they hired Greg Barrett. 

It makes me sad to see what is happening at Attica. They have a really nice football program with good coaches. They win 8-9 games every year and usually play for a sectional championship. I would hate to see Attica football disappear. 

Covington has the most dynamic player in the wrc with Brown. They can beat anyone on any given Friday.

Please keep in mind that HOF Coach Moore is 0-5 against Crabtree and North Vermillion as a head coach.   That does mean, however, that he is due.  Heard this same stuff last year heading into the game between these two.  Parke Heritage will have better athletes, again.  However, they fail to control the line of scrimmage, and lack fundamentals and integrity on defense.  With such superior talent and a HOF coach, they should win.  NV will be better coached and their kids know how to win.  If NV stays healthy, go ahead and make that -Coach Crabtree 6  Coach Moore 0.     

A long way to go before we get to this game way down the road.  Good luck to all in Week 1.

Edited by Reb08

9 hours ago, Reb08 said:

Please keep in mind that HOF Coach Moore is 0-5 against Crabtree and North Vermillion as a head coach.   That does mean, however, that he is due.  Heard this same stuff last year heading into the game between these two.  Parke Heritage will have better athletes, again.  However, they fail to control the line of scrimmage, and lack fundamentals and integrity on defense.  With such superior talent and a HOF coach, they should win.  NV will be better coached and their kids know how to win.  If NV stays healthy, go ahead and make that -Coach Crabtree 6  Coach Moore 0.     

A long way to go before we get to this game way down the road.  Good luck to all in Week 1.

Typical reb, belittling a coach, his staff, and young men nearly 2 months in advance.....sigh. 

Good luck to all and stay healthy. 

33 minutes ago, Oldbleacherfan said:

Typical reb, belittling a coach, his staff, and young men nearly 2 months in advance.....sigh. 

Good luck to all and stay healthy. 

I said nothing to belittle any kids.  If anything, I was pointing out that NV is a better coached team than PH.  They lack defensive integrity which is why North Central ran for like 600 yards last year.  Maybe their defensive approach will change.  As long as it doesn't, PH will struggle to stop the NV run game.   Parke Heritage will have better athletes, but not better football players.  We'll see when we get there.....Coach Moore is due, and probably has a more talented team.  He has yet to beat Crabtree as a head coach.  Maybe that changes this year.   Time will tell........

57 minutes ago, Reb08 said:

I said nothing to belittle any kids.  If anything, I was pointing out that NV is a better coached team than PH.  They lack defensive integrity which is why North Central ran for like 600 yards last year.  Maybe their defensive approach will change.  As long as it doesn't, PH will struggle to stop the NV run game.   Parke Heritage will have better athletes, but not better football players.  We'll see when we get there.....Coach Moore is due, and probably has a more talented team.  He has yet to beat Crabtree as a head coach.  Maybe that changes this year.   Time will tell........

what does defensive integrity mean? I honestly do not know....

11 hours ago, Reb08 said:

I find a Brian Moore coached team that fails to control the line of scrimmage (unless they are outmatched) and lacks fundamentals like a unicorn: they might exist, but good luck catching one.

The man has cut his teeth in coaching on line control and fundamentals....