Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Duneland Conference Preview

Guest DT

I’ll give the nod to Valpo as Top Dog. Curious to see how City bounces back after losing some solid offensive production. Valpo’s D is going to strangle the conference.

Speaking of D, Crown Point’s supposedly looked really good against Penn. They have really good size on the D-Line. 

I agree about Merrillville. This could be a breakout year for them. That large OT going to Minnesota is going to open up a lot of running room. 

I think Portage will have a average at best season. Lost all of their offensive output and a lot of defensive starters. 

LaPorte is a wildcard with the new coach. 

LC and Cheesetown will bring up the rear.

Week 1:

Merrillville over Andrean by 10

Hobart over Chesterton by 13

Crown Point over Lowell by 6

City over Griffith by 31

Munster over LC by 3

NP over LaPorte by 7

Valpo over Penn by 7

Mishawaka over Portage by 15

15 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I’ll give the nod to Valpo as Top Dog. Curious to see how City bounces back after losing some solid offensive production. Valpo’s D is going to strangle the conference.

Speaking of D, Crown Point’s supposedly looked really good against Penn. They have really good size on the D-Line. 

I agree about Merrillville. This could be a breakout year for them. That large OT going to Minnesota is going to open up a lot of running room. 

I think Portage will have a average at best season. Lost all of their offensive output and a lot of defensive starters. 

LaPorte is a wildcard with the new coach. 

LC and Cheesetown will bring up the rear.

Week 1:

Merrillville over Andrean by 10

Hobart over Chesterton by 13

Crown Point over Lowell by 6

City over Griffith by 31

Munster over LC by 3

NP over LaPorte by 7

Valpo over Penn by 7

Mishawaka over Portage by 15

Catholic Recruiters 24, PS 65 16

The Mall 16, Second City 10

The Juggernaut 16, The Hub 9

Lighthouse Place 33, Strip Mall 10

Ponies 21, Injuns 10

Don't care about NP, but I hope they lose

Penn 21, Valpo 17

Neanderthals 52, the other Injuns 13

Good picks, but...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Which Duneland Conference teams have endzone cameras? I have been seeing more of them in recent years. Is this an important tool for coaches?

•  

Not just Duneland Conference schools and coaches.  I would say all schools and coaches?

OK.  Edit on my part.  I see that Tanka Jahari has placed his above post in many threads.

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I think it will be normal to see endzone cameras at high school games. 

I think it already is normal to see endzone cameras at high school games.

Be well.  Have a great day.

On 8/20/2019 at 11:59 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

CP always has a nice Defense:   Can they average in the 20s offensively?  If so, they could give a certain team in Tippecanoe County a fun game in October 

Very true. Can the young Pettit sling the ball around? Ha! Lafayette Jeff has to be licking their chops at the prospect of seeing 3 Duneland teams and not Carmel in their Sectional.

• Like 1

@Gipper

Why is Chesterton Second City? Is that in reference to Valpo being the 1st Porter County city? I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're not a big Russ Radtke fan. No offense to an outstanding Mishawaka program, but it's going to be a long season for the Red Indians if the Cavemen beat them that badly.

Just messing around--a good friend of mine lives in Chesterton.  Russtoleum is fine, I just got into it a few years ago with a few of their fans, and since I'm a bitter old man, I can't let go.  Don't know the Mishawaka score will be, but I wish all the Region teams not named Morton (kidding--go Govs) luck!!!

For DAC fans, here are some short interviews from the 2019 RRSN/IFD Region Kickoff Show:

Portage - Head Coach Darren Rodriguez - https://youtu.be/D_xMYd6raX4

Merrillville - Head Coach Brad Seiss - https://youtu.be/ZNdwSstRh64

LaPorte - Head Coach Jeremy Lowery - https://youtu.be/TjOZ-D65Zjk

Crown Point - Head Coach Kevin Enright - https://youtu.be/jYr8qywY_Yg

Chesterton - Head Coach Mark Peterson - https://youtu.be/JSFlO-y6bc8

Valparaiso - Head Coach Bill Marshall - https://youtu.be/2YCx0R4MJjo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Game of the Week by Far in the Region and maybe of the year as Michigan City travels this week to play Valparaiso. Valpo is the only team Mason has not defeated in the conference since coming to Michigan City and the last two years, Valpo has won in defensive struggles with the 2017 last second touchdown pass on 4th down with a backup QB the most exciting game of the three. 

I expect this to be another defensive struggle as Michigan City is clearly not as explosive this year with a different QB, now they have a sophomore, and running backs that appear to be more bruisers than the slasher of last year. On the other hand, Valpo appears to be more explosive and have an experienced QB. Not much to say defensively other than two of the best players in the state will be featured, Cooper Jones and Marquan Hurt. Valpo has only allowed 14 points this year on D and Michigan City held Chesterton to -27 total yards last week. I have to pick Valpo by the home field advantage and it appears Michigan City can't make XPs or FGs based on the way they lost to Warsaw, that will continue to hurt them if they rely on their defense to win games. 

These two teams will push each other and I see Merrillville benefiting in the tournament for having to play these two in the next several weeks. 

• Like 1

Markice Hurt Jr. and Marquan Hurt are brothers.  They are also Aryuan “Buck” Cain-Veasey’s cousin who absolutely lit it up Saturday in his game for Grand Valley State University on Saturday rushing for 200 yards on 11 carries and scored 3 touchdowns including the 3rd longest run in school history from 94 yards.  He was named the Great Lakes Intercolligiate Conference (GLIAC) player of the week.

https://www.facebook.com/100000466601769/posts/3598591256833059/

Despite the very unfortunate circumstances, its a shame that Laporte lost Dave Sharpe.  That program has slipped back since his departure.  The DAC is improving and the laporte of 2 years ago was a beast.

Would be nice to see LC and CP step it up a bit.