Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Duneland Conference Preview

Guest DT

1 minute ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Coach Lowery has 2 games under his belt 

Cmon man.   Space and time to install his vision and program purpose.  2 games is not that.  

Understood.  But that program was hummin'   Great momentum.  It seemed like Sharpe had found an identity for that program that fit the personnel perfectly.

Now you have a new scheme, a new culture, a new way of doing everything.  Yes, it will take some time.  But Laporte was right on the cusp.  What a shame 

La Porte had a search committee to replace Dave Sharpe.  The position was first offered to Bob James who turned it down. Then the committee consulted with Paul Condry and asked him for a list of 5 coaches they should reach out to and Jeremy Lowery was at the top of the list.

20 minutes ago, Tommy said:

La Porte had a search committee to replace Dave Sharpe.  The position was first offered to Bob James who turned it down. Then the committee consulted with Paul Condry and asked him for a list of 5 coaches they should reach out to and Jeremy Lowery was at the top of the list.

They asked a media member?  Seriously?

4 minutes ago, slicer28 said:

Bob James is not a media member.  He's the offensive line coach hand has been with the program for almost 20 years.

I am well aware of who Coach James is.  Coached against him many times.  Very good coach and person.  That is not the person I was speaking about.

"La Porte had a search committee to replace Dave Sharpe.  The position was first offered to Bob James who turned it down. Then the committee consulted with Paul Condry and asked him for a list of 5 coaches they should reach out to and Jeremy Lowery was at the top of the list."

I hope this clears it up.  Have a great day.

1 minute ago, DannEllenwood said:

I am well aware of who Coach James is.  Coached against him many times.  Very good coach and person.  That is not the person I was speaking about.

"La Porte had a search committee to replace Dave Sharpe.  The position was first offered to Bob James who turned it down. Then the committee consulted with Paul Condry and asked him for a list of 5 coaches they should reach out to and Jeremy Lowery was at the top of the list."

I hope this clears it up.  Have a great day.

Ahhh, misunderstood where you were going.

I can tell you this.  There was an official posting for the job.  There were a lot of applicants.  I'm sure Paul Condry was consulted in that process due to relationships that people who were on the committee have with him, but I'm sure they didn't just go from a short list provided by him. 

I was sad to see Coach Sharpe go, and I couldn't imagine going through what he and his family did over the past few years.  However, Coach Lowery is the real deal.  These first few games have been challenging, but I'm confident that the program is in good hands.

5 minutes ago, slicer28 said:

I can tell you this.  There was an official posting for the job.  There were a lot of applicants.  I'm sure Paul Condry was consulted in that process due to relationships that people who were on the committee have with him, but I'm sure they didn't just go from a short list provided by him. 

I was sad to see Coach Sharpe go, and I couldn't imagine going through what he and his family did over the past few years.  However, Coach Lowery is the real deal.  These first few games have been challenging, but I'm confident that the program is in good hands.

No worries.

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

Markice Hurt Jr. and Marquan Hurt are brothers.  They are also Aryuan “Buck” Cain-Veasey’s cousin who absolutely lit it up Saturday in his game for Grand Valley State University on Saturday rushing for 200 yards on 11 carries and scored 3 touchdowns including the 3rd longest run in school history from 94 yards.  He was named the Great Lakes Intercolligiate Conference (GLIAC) player of the week.

https://www.facebook.com/100000466601769/posts/3598591256833059/

Still one more Hurt on the way, correct?

8 minutes ago, slicer28 said:

Mr. Condry would ABSOLUTELY be a great resource on a STATE WIDE SEARCH for a job opening.  

That man has given many years to Indiana High School Football and his staff have a good pulse of up and coming coaches, styles, etc.   

I believe Bloomington South when Coach Mo retired the 1st time mid 2000's reached out to REX KIRTS in the same fashion.   His Bloomington Herald Top 33 list was state wide and his knowledge was very well respected.  

4 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Mr. Condry would ABSOLUTELY be a great resource on a STATE WIDE SEARCH for a job opening.  

That man has given many years to Indiana High School Football and his staff have a good pulse of up and coming coaches, styles, etc.   

Not debating that at all.

There are people that are not in the media that know as much too.

My question is, would schools consult them?

Just interesting.  Never heard of others using the media to help w a search, whether high school, college, or pro.  Maybe I am wrong.

Oh well.

It does seem a bit odd.   Condry is a northern Indiana guy.  I have doubts that he would have an inside lead on potential interest from candidates in other parts of the state, let alone out of state candidates

If you are going to consult with Condry, then you also talk with Chris Ramirez at The RSN and good old DT here on the GID.  I have had several exchanges with coaches over the years, some inquiring about specific position openings.   

Edited by DT

you do know that Mr. Condry covers the entire state, hosts the Griddy's, responsible for HS section at Colts.com  https://www.colts.com/news/indiana-football-digest-insider-2019-week-three  

his preview book covers entire state.  

Just because he lives in the Northern half and conducts his broadcasts up North does not disqualify him as someone to ask a simple question of state wide coach search.   

2 hours ago, slicer28 said:

We all went to the IU - Ball State game last week,  I am the white guy in the back corner making my presence known.

Last season Markice played at Notre Dame stadium, last week he played at Lucas Oil stadium.  No other athlete from Michigan City, Indiana can claim that.

hurtfamily01.jpg

41 minutes ago, Tommy said:

We all went to the IU - Ball State game last week,  I am the white guy in the back corner making my presence known.

Last season Markice played at Notre Dame stadium, last week he played at Lucas Oil stadium.  No other athlete from Michigan City, Indiana can claim that.

hurtfamily01.jpg

This is AWESOME. Thanks for sharing Tommy. 

3 hours ago, DT said:

If you are going to consult with Condry, then you also talk with Chris Ramirez at The RSN and good old DT here on the GID.  I have had several exchanges with coaches over the years, some inquiring about specific position openings.   

The La Porte Community School Corporation would never be able to afford your consulting fee.

8 hours ago, DT said:

Understood.  But that program was hummin'   Great momentum.  It seemed like Sharpe had found an identity for that program that fit the personnel perfectly.

Now you have a new scheme, a new culture, a new way of doing everything.  Yes, it will take some time.  But Laporte was right on the cusp.  What a shame 

I think 3 games, (of which you have 6 players missing for 2 1/4 of) is just a tad bit quick to judgement.  In addition those three games were against pretty solid competition.

I do think in general Laporte is in a bit of a down cycle and the cupboard is a little bare so Coach Lowrey will have an uphill battle to keep the Slicers competitive for the next few years.   

Like NPFan said, the Slicers opened with New Prairie, at Penn, Valpo with several starters out due to suspension. They hung with Valpo driving into the red zone twice in the 1st half & trailing only 7-0 until an ill-advised interception led to a late 2Q Valpo TD.

After watching the LP-Valpo game, my scouting report is that the Slicers are not big, not very fast, not overly talented. At one point when the ball was directly in front of me, I commented that the field appeared to be slanted because all of the guys in white&green were 6-8 inches taller & much bigger than the orange&black.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 1:05 PM, Tommy said:

They have a very large extended athletic family.

On 9/11/2019 at 12:45 PM, slicer28 said:

Read on Twitter the senior lb Hurt no longer with the team.

How electric is this Merrillville team?  Gonna be a huge battle when the pirates take on valpo in a couple of weeks