Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Southridge @ Linton

Week 1 at Roy Williams Field. Southridge is 4-0 verse the Miners. Should be an interesting game to see where both teams are at to begin the year. Linton is returning a lot of starters this year with some familiar faces. I am not sure what to expect from the Raiders other than a quality football team. Good luck to all!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, QB1 said:

Week 1 at Roy Williams Field. Southridge is 4-0 verse the Miners. Should be an interesting game to see where both teams are at to begin the year. Linton is returning a lot of starters this year with some familiar faces. I am not sure what to expect from the Raiders other than a quality football team. Good luck to all!

Actually Southridge is 5-0 vs. the Miners. Should be a good game.

1982 40-0

1995 26-14

2017 17-16  week one

2017 20-0 sectional

2018 35-7

I watched the Linton scrimmage seemed like it took a minute but the offense eventually got into a decent flow. Obviously hard to tell a lot with all the switching in and out. Defense looked decent at times. Heard something about southridge’s QB from last year quitting to focus on different sports. Don’t really know how true that is but if it is I’m sure they have another good athlete to replace him with. Just ready to finally watch some football. Good luck to both teams and go miners 

I've heard Raider fans say if you want to beat Southridge you had better do it early in the season.  2 years ago the Miners lost 17 - 16 in week one and then lost 20 - 0 in the sectional to the Raiders.  That year Southridge won state.  Good program and good fans.  Glad they are on Linton's schedule.  This is a good season opening test for both teams.  I'm not sure if the Miners can win this game but I think they make it interesting.  The Raider QB quit football?  Is he that really tall kid?  He was a good athlete.  Good luck and good health to both teams!

52 minutes ago, sr1 said:

Last years QB for Southridge was the really tall kid. He has a real chance to play D1 basketball or baseball in collage. Not playing football.

Yeah, and we aren't talking "mid-major" D1 either...I understand he's also caught the eye of MLB scouts...

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Good program and good fans.  Glad they are on Linton's schedule.  This is a good season opening test for both teams. 

I heard coach Buening say on a podcast today, “Linton is a strong program. Both our programs mirror each other – passionate communities, tough hard nosed kids, guys going both ways. It’s really what small school football is all about.”

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

I'm not sure if the Miners can win this game but I think they make it interesting. 

Agreed.

The Miners can't afford to get off to a slow start like they did in the scrimmage with Bosse. But I liked the way they finished. If they play like they did in the last 2/3 of that scrimmage I like their chances.

Defense looks much better, aside from the big play they gave up on the first play of the scrimmage. I think we'll definitely see an improved Miner team this year. As we should...can't say they're "young and inexperienced" anymore.

With all due respect to Southridge, i think Linton takes it this year, i've gotten to watch Linton a lot over the past several years and i know they return a lot of kids from last year's team, not often you hear that Linton is being slept on, but i think a lot of people are sleeping on them this year, take away injuries and i think Linton will make another deep run this year. Linton will be looking to deal out a lot of pay back for last years down year. Look forward to seeing them when they travel to play Monrovia this year!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sbriant20 said:

With all due respect to Southridge, i think Linton takes it this year, i've gotten to watch Linton a lot over the past several years and i know they return a lot of kids from last year's team, not often you hear that Linton is being slept on, but i think a lot of people are sleeping on them this year, take away injuries and i think Linton will make another deep run this year. Linton will be looking to deal out a lot of pay back for last years down year. Look forward to seeing them when they travel to play Monrovia this year!

sbriant20 sighting!  Good to see you on here old friend.  Hoping to make it to Monrovia this year for the annual tussle.  Would love to be able to meet up and shake your hand.  Having some health issues again so we'll see how it goes.  The Miners are a solid program and now get even more notice than ever since they have strengthened their schedule.  Can hardly believe they will be playing Boonville this year.   Wow!

19 hours ago, ts32 said:

Agreed.

The Miners can't afford to get off to a slow start like they did in the scrimmage with Bosse. But I liked the way they finished. If they play like they did in the last 2/3 of that scrimmage I like their chances.

Defense looks much better, aside from the big play they gave up on the first play of the scrimmage. I think we'll definitely see an improved Miner team this year. As we should...can't say they're "young and inexperienced" anymore.

Didn't hear how the scrimmage went this year.  Thanks for posting that info.  As always, it's a new year.  I still can't believe they are playing Boonville this year!  Talk about a step up in SOS.  Win or lose at least people can't say Linton plays a soft schedule any more.  Would still like to see it tweaked just a little bit more.  Knowing the Miner program, they NEVER back down from a challenge.  Should be an exciting year for Miner Nation.  Love how they start the season now with the Raiders.  They are a quality football program with really great fans.  They remind me a lot of Monrovia and Ritter.

This and the Brown County - Pike games were the hardest for me to pick.

I know previous scores, Southridge's system is just incredibly hard to defend in Week 1, but it can also be very unforgiving with some untimely mistakes and if Linton has some special kids back who can break a play or two early. What's going on in Miner country? Have you moved that tee-ball baseball fence back yet or built a green monster?

4 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

This and the Brown County - Pike games were the hardest for me to pick.

I know previous scores, Southridge's system is just incredibly hard to defend in Week 1, but it can also be very unforgiving with some untimely mistakes and if Linton has some special kids back who can break a play or two early. What's going on in Miner country? Have you moved that tee-ball baseball fence back yet or built a green monster?

Nope, the tee-ball fence is still there 😂 Not only that, the field slopes downhill to left field so it's even easier to clear the fence. Only way they could move it back would be to plow up the road that runs behind the outfield fence

9 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I noticed that Harrell didn't put a game score prediction on his game writeups this year.  Wonder why?  They always have put one in years past.  They have last year's meeting.  I always enjoyed seeing how close they were (or not).

He never has in the first week. And all the Sagarin ratings are from last year. Can't really go by those in the early weeks of the season.

20 hours ago, ts32 said:

Nope, the tee-ball fence is still there 😂 Not only that, the field slopes downhill to left field so it's even easier to clear the fence. Only way they could move it back would be to plow up the road that runs behind the outfield fence

What did the Herald-Times preview say about his year's squad?

8 hours ago, ts32 said:

Haven't read it. Probably didn't say anything you couldn't read here.

Having been a former employee on the Sports Desk at the H-T briefly from 2015-2016, I have a soft spot for what that staff has tried to maintain for high school sports... especially Harrell, Beane, Gordillo, and others.

• Like 1

Any predictions on this game? I actually don’t have a score prediction, but I do think SR wins this one. However, I will not be surprised if Linton finds a way to win. Either way I don’t see either team winning by more than 2 TD’s. I do think this Linton group has good potential, but I think it will take a few games before the offense gets in a good groove. 

5 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Having been a former employee on the Sports Desk at the H-T briefly from 2015-2016, I have a soft spot for what that staff has tried to maintain for high school sports... especially Harrell, Beane, Gordillo, and others.

I've always, at least since the late 90's, been impressed with coverage the H-T gives us.  No offense Schwing @ts32, you do a superb job as well!  But for being 40 miles away, they go above and beyond what I think is expected of them.

Miners by 1 point.

Edited by LawrenceGreene

8 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

Any predictions on this game? I actually don’t have a score prediction, but I do think SR wins this one. However, I will not be surprised if Linton finds a way to win. Either way I don’t see either team winning by more than 2 TD’s. I do think this Linton group has good potential, but I think it will take a few games before the offense gets in a good groove. 

I think with all LInton is bringing back this year and SR losing their QB Linton wins this one 28-17, i like the Miner's this year a lot! 

50 minutes ago, LawrenceGreene said:

I've always, at least since the late 90's, been impressed with coverage the H-T gives us.  No offense Schwing @ts32, you do a superb job as well!  But for being 40 miles away, they go above and beyond what I think is expected of them.

Miners by 1 point.

No offense taken.

The H-T has always done a terrific job with their coverage. A lot of folks around here read the H-T for that very reason.

• Like 1

Week 1 in Miner Land… and the start of the final campaign for 19 seniors! Most of the guys were freshman on the state championship team of 2016... and many of these have been starters in one way or another as sophomores from 2017 on. The move up to 2A meant then end of 6 straight 1A sectional titles with losses to eventual 2017 2A state champ Southridge, and then Mater Dei in 2018. There is no doubt the motivation these seniors, and the whole team, feel after a tough 5-6 season last year brought the first losing year since 1996. The regular season schedule itself had been toughened up the last several years, but it was surely one loaded with very good competition last year…and will again be a test this year. That all starts off with a meeting with the Raiders of Southridge tonight.

Southridge and Linton was talked about for many years as a great meeting of two like-minded programs and fan base. When it was announced a couple years prior to the ’17 season that we would meet to open the season… people were excited. That first meeting verified that excitement with a 17-16 Raider win. Then a rematch in the 2nd week of Sectional 40 at Huntingburg. Linton had their chances to get on top early, but didn’t. They hung in and it was 0-0 at half, but the Raiders took control in 2nd half on a cold wet rainy night to win 20-0 and go on to win 2A title. 2018 was Southridge dominated the young Miners 35-7 with QB Montgomery’s 2 TD passes added with RB Schank’s 2 TD runs powering the Raiders. In fact…Linton has not beaten Southridge in any of their 5 all time meetings.

However the 2019 Raiders will have some new faces in key places as only 3 starters return on the offense and 4 on the opposite side. Included in those gone are 6’5 QB Colson Montgomery (who is concentrating on baseball and basketball), multi-year starters Tucker Schank (RB/S), Matt Price (SE/S) , Logan Seeger (TE/LB), Wyatt Kramer (OL/DE), Matt Gentry (OL/NT) Joe La Grange (SE/CB) among them.

The well is not empty is Southridge though with Cole Calvert back at both RB and ILB. #28 (6’1 194) led the team with 101 tackles in ’18, as well as 920 rushing yards (2nd on team). They return 2 of 5 offensive line starters-both Guards in #59 Sam Schroeder (12, 6’0 174) and #51 Connor Oxley (12, 6.0 201). The Tackle spots are filled with senior Wes Allen (#57 6’1 196) and junior Leyton Lauderdale I#50, 6’2 217). Center is manned by #68 Cade Patton (12, 6’1 287). With Montgomery’s departure, Coach Buehning has moved Chase Taylor (#5, 6’1 202) to the QB spot. As a Sophomore, Taylor was in the TE rotation as well as a big hitter at LB on defense. However, he didn’t take any snaps at the QB position that I am aware of. Sophomore Carson Niehaus (#6, 5’11 156) is listed as the backup. #14 Brad Springer (12, 5’10 173) and #25 Colt Gerber (12,5’11 164) are slated at WBs. Springer had 52 carries for 215 yards at 2 scores in action last year behind Nunamaker who graduated. This will be Gerber’s first real varsity time. Calvert figures to be the workhouse, as he had 138 carries (6.7 per carry) and 11 rush TDs in 2017. I would also expect Taylor to be a threat to run.. and while not as tall…certainly at 202 lbs he will be a load to bring down. Last year’s QB, Montgomery, actually led the Raider s in rushing with 1093 yards and a team top 18 rush TDs. Montgomery’s 1048 passing yards (13 TD/3 INT) were a big part of Southridge’s success. His 67 completions were spread out over 12 different receivers. Three of the top five receivers in catches return with Calvert out of the backfield (7-83) #11 Garrett Voegerl (12, 6’4 176) at SE, and #24 Austin Kaeck (12, 6’1 162) listed at RB. Voegerl wore #33 last season and will replace Matt Price as the starter this year wearing #11. With Logan Seeger gone thru graduation, and Taylor moved to QB, the Raiders will have a young TE in #8 Aiden Jochem (10, 6’0 191) in place this year with senior Trevor Hunefield (#38 6’0 169) as well.

The Defensive side returns Calvert at ILB, and is joined by Junior Matt Springer (#22, 6’1 178). The tandem of Calvert and Seeger last year..as well as Taylor…was a formidable ILB team. Springer has 13 tackles in spot duty in ’17. Brad Springer and Aiden Jochem line up at OLBs. The older Springer had 38 tackles, 8 for loss and 2 sacks as a starter last year. Jochem must have talent as starting on both sides of the ball as a sophomore is impressive at Southridge. The interior defensive line all graduated, and 2 juniors will step up at DE- #64 Erik Hernandez (11, 6’1 216) and #50 Leyton Lauderdale (11, 6’2 217). Lauderdale saw significant action with 65 tackles, 13 for loss and 4.5 sacks, so it’s safe to say he’s got plenty of experience... and may have started as the season progressed. My info as to last year’s starters are based on the Linton game in week 1 last year. Hernandez had no defensive numbers last year. NT will be Sr Wes Allen (#57, 6’1 196), who saw minimal action with 7 tackles. Last year’s OLB has moved to a Safety position with #59 Sam Shroeder (12, 6’0 174). He had 50 tackles in 2019, 3 for loss…and definitely an usual position column—OG/S. The Raiders return 1 of their 4 DBs from the Linton game of 2017, with #3 Camden Gasser (11, 5’11 152) back at a Corner. Shroeder of course was a starter at OLB, now at safety paired with SR Austin Kaeck (#24, 6’1 162). Voegerl will be at the other corner in addition to the SE role. Kaeck (35 tkls) and Voegerl (42 tkls) both obviously saw considerable action in 2017. So despite having just 4 starters back on D…it appears 6 players saw a lot of time…and Taylor certainly was solid LB when needed.

QB 5 Taylor, Chase 11 6'1 202

FB 28 Calvert, Cole 12 6'1 194

WB 14 Springer, Brad 12 5'10 173

WB 25 Gerber, Cort 12 5'11 164

SE 11 Voegerl, Garrett 12 6'4 176

TE 8 Jochem, Aiden 10 6'0 191

RT 57 Allen, Wes 12 6'1 196

RG 59 Shroeder, Sam 12 6'0 174

C 68 Patton, Cade 12 6'1 287

LG 51 Oxley, Connor 12 6'0 201

LT 50 Lauderdale, Leyton 11 6'2 217

DEfense

ILB 28 Calvert, Cole 12 6'1 194

ILB 22 Springer, Matt 11 6'1 178

OLB 14 Springer, Brad 12 5'10 173

OLB 8 Jochem, Aiden 10 6'0 191

DE 64 Hernandez, Erik 11 6'1 216

NT 57 Allen, Wes 12 6'1 196

DE 50 Lauderdale, Leyton 11 6'2 217

CB 3 Gasser, Camdon 11 5'11 152

CB 11 Voegerl, Garrett 12 6'4 176

S 59 Shroeder, Sam 12 6'0 174

S 24 Kaeck, Austin 12 6'1 162

For Linton.. the time is now for this group of seniors. They held the Raiders on their first possession last year, but fumbled the punt, and Southridge punched it in moments later… then after a Miner punt, Southridge went 13 plays including a 4th and 3 conversion and the Miner 30.. to jump up 14-0 just into the 2ndquarter. They never looked back. In that contest Lance Dyer was the starting QB, but that would change a few weeks later with then Soph Trey Goodman moving to that role, and Dyer back to his normal WB position.

#15 Goodman (11,6’1 170) is back after throwing 54 of 116 passes for 864 yards, 5 TD, 2 Ints last year. He wasn’t the threat running the ball that Linton has had at QB in recent years, but the hope is certainly that the passing game can take some of the pressure off the running game. There is hope for improvement as Linton returns nearly everyone in the skills group. SE #18 Devyn Robertson (12.6’2 165) caught 25 balls for 493 yards and 2 scores, averaging 19.7 per catch last year. SE #28 Clayton Hauser (12, 6’1 170) added 11 for 122, with #23 Gavin House (11,5’7 160) adding 8 for 154 mostly from a WB/Slot spot. #35 Avery Puckett (12,6’2, 165) had just 4 for 36 from the TE, but I would expect him more involved this year. Miner WB’s have always caught passes…and #5 Lance Dyer (12, 5’11 175) had 9 for 126 and 2 scores, #43 Cash Howard (12, 5’10 175) another 6 for 87. #8 Luke Lannan (12,5’10 185) led Linton in rushing with 1,179 yards on 155 carries with 12 TDs, and a 7.6 yard per carry average in 2018. Luke did have 94 yard rushing against Southridge last year, accounting for our only score. Another addition to the Miner skill group is sophomore Gabe Eslinger (#2, 6’0 180) who missed most all of 2018 with an ankle break. Sr Lance Dyer (#11, 5’10 165), Sr Quin Miller (#25, 5’11 175), Sr Dylan Smith (#22, 5’10 165), Soph Kaulin Padgett (#7, 5’8 165) and House round out a deep group.

By season’s end of 2017 the entire offensive line were underclassmen. Even as we open up 2019, 3 starters area still underclassmen. #79 Tyler Mongeau (12, 6’1 205) returns at Center, #51 Dalton Smith (12, 5’10 2015) returns at left tackle. #57 Landon Giles (11, 6’0 210) is at tight tackle after ending up a starter as a soph. #55 Vedder Rogers (11, 6’1 2250 also started as a soph in 2018 is a left guard. Unfortunately #77 Dalton Carpenter (10,5’10 215) will miss at least week 1 from an broken leg suffered in an accident in the summer. He started the final couple games of 2018. #69 Damien Giles ( 11, 6’0 225) made the switch from TE to right guard this season looks to make it an all Giles right side.

Defensively Sr Luke Lannan (#8, 5’10 185) return at ILB as the leading tackler from 2018 (66, 10 TFL). Joining him will be Soph Gabe Eslinger (#2, 6’0 180) in his first varsity start. Moving from CB to OLB is #5 Lance Dyer (12, 5’11 175) along with first time starter, and brother, #11 Trevor Dyer (12, 5’10 165). Trevor had 22 tackle and 3 picks in ’18, Trevor with 20 tackles. From last year’s OLB corps #43 Cash Howard (12,5’10 175) moves to Free Safety. He had 34 tackles at OLB last year, 6 for loss. #23 Gavin House (11, 5’7 160) returns to start at one corner, the other was slated to be Kaulin Padgett (#7, 5’8 165) as a soph but he is hampered by a lower leg injury from the scrimmage. I would suspect opportunities for #18 Devyn Robertson (12.6’2 165), #28 Clayton Hauser (12, 6’1 170) and or Dylan Smith. Up front the miners will have #79 Tyler Mongeau (12,6’1 205) and #51 Dalton Smith (12, 5’10 205) at DE’s along with #35 Avery Puckett (12,6’2 175) in the mix. Tackles look to be #55 Vedder Rogers (11, 6’1 225) and #64 Hunter Boldrey (12, 6.0 255). All four were starters by the end of 2018. Linton has also shown a 5 man front at time, and should that be the case look for #59 Braden Jackson (12,5’7 170) or perhaps #25 Quin Miller (12,5’11 175) or #45 Jackson Lynn (10, 6’1 165). Jace Elmore #27, (12,5’9 160) returns to kicking duties after an great junior year. Drake Cunningham has moved on to the military so Linton will be fielding a new punter tonight.

Tonight will be a key one for Linton. 2018 saw Linton start off 0-3 with pretty decisive losses to Southridge, Sullivan and Monrovia before putting the lone regular season loss on 1A North Vermillion 34-7. The Raiders are going to be a tough battle year in and year out, and perhaps are in the Miner’s head with back to back to back losses the last 2 years. I will be looking for the heart of the Miner players tonight. I want to see that they totally buy into that they can compete and win any Friday against anybody. I wanna see the intensity and desire on every play with the players on the sideline ready to step up and in at a moment’s notice. I want to see how we respond should we come up against a deficit, or big plays that go against us. I don’t want to see any quit. I know the coaching staff is looking at these same things. None of us want to see a 7-35 repeat on that scoreboard.

image.png.fc5f6b57479ab51cdecc8ccbd7cebf5b.png

image.png.6245d531edb0a8acbf426af431cccac8.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ts32 said:

No offense taken.

The H-T has always done a terrific job with their coverage. A lot of folks around here read the H-T for that very reason.

THE H T has given the Miner a LOT of love the past few years.  I noticed their coverage started to increase about the time A.K. was the quarterback.  

21 hours ago, gonzoron said:

He never has in the first week. And all the Sagarin ratings are from last year. Can't really go by those in the early weeks of the season.

I knew the Sags were last year's, but thought he always put a prediction in even on week one.  Guess my memory isn't what it used to be.