Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

CIC Week 1

Here we go!!!  Week 1 of the CIC!!! 

Players are fired up, fields are prepped and ready, lights are bright and the practices have more focus this week! 

Looks like there are going to be some good games this week.  Rankings are The IFCA  Polls.

2A #24 Blackford at 1A #5 Monroe Central, 7:30 pm
2A #2 Eastbrook at 4A #1 Marion, 7 pm
2A #13 Lapel at Elwood, 7 pm
Madison-Grant at 2A #11 Tipton, 7 pm
4A #9 Mississinewa at 4A #25 Pendleton Heights, 7:30 pm
Oak Hill at Eastern, 7 pm
Tri-Central at Frankton, 7 pm
Wes-Del at Alexandria, 7 pm

Good luck to all the teams this season and hope everyone stays as healthy as possible!!!

Lots of good games this week!

Blackford over MC in a close hard fought battle, 3 yards at a time.

Marion over Eastbrook, Marions too athletic this year and gets over on the east siders.

Lapel thumps Elwood, new coach needs a little more time.

Tipton over MG, first full season for new coach, system etc, but I hear good things happen in Argyllville.

Ole Miss over PH, this one could go either way but look for the Indians to prevail.

Oak Hill over Eastern, some how Bud and the west siders get it done.

Frank over Tri C, why coin flip landed heads.

Alex over WD. Alex needs to win early, and does.

2A #24 Blackford at 1A #5 Monroe Central, 7:30 pm
2A #2 Eastbrook at 4A #1 Marion, 7 pm
2A #13 Lapel at Elwood, 7 pm
Madison-Grant at 2A #11 Tipton, 7 pm
4A #9 Mississinewa at 4A #25 Pendleton Heights, 7:30 pm
Oak Hill at Eastern, 7 pm
Tri-Central at Frankton, 7 pm
Wes-Del at Alexandria, 7 pm

Here is what i got:

Blackford @ Monroe Central

Eastbrook @ Marion

Lapel @ Elwood

MG @ Tipton

Ole Miss @ Pendleton

OH @ Eastern

Tri-Central @ Frankton

Wes-Del @ Alex   

Blackford at Monroe Central--This will be a good game and will show if Blackford means business.  Monroe Central has been a very good team the past few years while Blackford is building.  In the end Blackford pulls this one out in OT.

Eastbrook at Marion--Marion is ranked #1 in 4A because of the success of last season.  Most of their defense starters have graduated and only 1 or 2 return.  Offensively JT Thomas is very quick and will get some snaps at QB, RB, and WR.  Eastbrook graduated a lot last year but also had a number of underclassman get significant playing time.  Eastbrook taking on Marion will be a classic.  Tickets have been on sale for 2 weeks.  In the end Marion pulls out the victory but it will be closer than many think.

Lapel at Elwood--Another year another coach for Elwood which means another new system.  When will Elwood start paying their assistant coach's?  Lapel wins this one in the 1st quarter and plays the JV and freshman most of the second half.

MG at Tipton--MG has a few more players this year which will help them out.  Tipton is young but is just too much for MG.   MG will score but not often as Tipton runs away with it.

Ole Miss at Pendleton Heights--This game will show how good Mississienwa is without Heisman Skeens.  QB may be based on situation.  PH has a much stronger schedule and will challenge Ole Miss every play.  In the end Ole' Miss pulls it out in a close one.

Oak Hill at Eastern--A little neighborly rivalry across county lines.  Some players may live across the street from each other yet play on different teams.  This will be a good game.  Oak Hill is out to prove that they are improved from last year.  Oak Hill moves up a class this year so they are out to prove that they will be a team to watch in 3A.  Oak Hill pulls out the victory but a TD.

Tri-Central at Frankton--Frankton shut out Tri-Central last year.  Tri-Central's coach is in his second season and has had a year to examine and figure out what talent he has.  Frankton is improving and this will be the 3rd season in this system.  Frankton is just too much again this year for Tri-Central but Tri-Central does score this year.

Wes-Del at Alexandria--Wes-Del is improved from last year and will challenge Alex early.  Alex has too much talent on the team and are out to improve on last years 4 wins.  Alex over Wes-Del.

Blackford @ Monroe Central:  Sehy stuns MC with an offense they've never seen. Also Blackford's Safety, #7, might be the best player in the conference.

Eastbrook @ Marion:  it's hard to pick against Jeff Adamson regardless of how much talent Marion has.

Lapel @ Elwood

Madison-Grant @ Tipton: Hard fought, close game that is decided in the trenches.

Ole Miss @ Pendleton

Oak Hill @ Eastern

Tri-Central @ Frankton: 

Wes-Del @ Alexandria: Alexandria's QB is tough, will he have enough time to throw the ball?  If he does Alex wins, if he doesn't...long season for the Tigers.

Blackford @ Monroe Central- Excited to see what Blackford does this year. Glad to have some good competition in the cic.

Eastbrook @ Marion- Marion has a TON of talent... Jeff and his staff have beat teams that have had just as much talent. I think/hope the panthers have more discipline and it will be interesting to see how Marion handles the no huddle. 

Lapel @ Elwood- Gonna be another tough year for Elwood. 

MG @ Tipton- Very excited to have Tipton in our sectional... sounds like they are young but still going to be very good.

Ole Miss @ Pendleton-  dont know anything about Pendelton, but i know 2 brothers with the last name of Campbell for the Indians. The oldest one is a senior and a very special talent, he is fun to watch.

OH @ Eastern- Got to pick CIC here dont know much about either team.

Tri-Central @ Frankton- Another game i dont know much about. But to you Frankton fans congrats on another awesome basketball season. saw the semi state game!!!!! what a fun game just bad result.

Wes-Del @ Alex-I think Alex might be better than what people think. Also Alex fans congrats on the State baseball championship!

• Like 1

Blackford -  When healthy they compete well.  The question is how many weeks are their key players going to stay healthy?

Eastbrook - Its going to take a lot to stop what Coach Adamson has rolling right now.  Marion will have the athletes but not sure they will have enough.

Lapel- Not even Close

Tipton - Not even Close

Pendleton Heights - This is a tough one.  Ole Miss is doing better at competing with bigger schools but I think P.H. gets this one by 7.

Oak Hill - Another close one but I think Oak Hill gets back in the +.500 this year.  

Frankton - I will give Frankton the win this year.  I think Coach Gilbert saw the barrel was getting pretty empty and moved on for a reason.  I'm not sure they will have much to offer the eagles.

Alexandria - This could be a close game if the tigers go in to confident but they still get the win.

Blackford @ Monroe Central

Eastbrook @ Marion - Hard to pick against Adamson, even if Marion has better "athletes".

Lapel @ Elwood

MG @ Tipton - Curious to see how Tipton plays this year without Roudebush under center.

Ole Miss @ Pendleton

OH @ Eastern

Tri-Central @ Frankton

Wes-Del @ Alex 

I don't know anything about any of these teams this year (including Elwood, though I've heard good things about the new coach), so i'm going with my gut the first couple of weeks. But it's good to be back, folks!

I keep seeing comments about not paying assistants. I know Elwood hasn't paid assistant coaches for years but I figured this was common across all small schools. Do assistants at other 2A schools still get compensated for their time? I know assistants of at least one 3A school that get small compensation. I just figured the larger the school, the more $ in the budget to pay assistants and at most small schools, there isn't a big enough pie to slice multiple ways. Even $2k or $3k is nothing to sneeze at when compared to $0 but I really don't think small potatoes like that is what's keeping good help away, is it? 

1 hour ago, halfbackpass said:

I keep seeing comments about not paying assistants. I know Elwood hasn't paid assistant coaches for years but I figured this was common across all small schools. Do assistants at other 2A schools still get compensated for their time? I know assistants of at least one 3A school that get small compensation. I just figured the larger the school, the more $ in the budget to pay assistants and at most small schools, there isn't a big enough pie to slice multiple ways. Even $2k or $3k is nothing to sneeze at when compared to $0 but I really don't think small potatoes like that is what's keeping good help away, is it? 

Frankton pays for Head Coach and 2, possible 3 assistants.

All of the schools I had been a head coach or on staff for had money allocated for at least two or three  and most of the time for all assistants listed by the school associated with the team.  It is true the larger the program the more money is available for coaching pay.  It is pretty rare to hear of a school only paying for a head coach and no assistants from my experience.

5 hours ago, halfbackpass said:

Mississinewa has a couple of volunteer coach's on the staff.  These coach's typically have a full time job that limits how much time they can spend at practices.  Usually the 6th grade head coach, which the team is part of the youth league, is one of the Volunteer coach's but he is there to learn the system to help build the program and prep the kids for junior high and high school play.  All of the other coach's are paid.

The bigger the program usually the more money but also the more coach's.  There are some of the large programs that have coordinators and position coach's for the JV, and Freshman teams as well as the varsity.  These coach's are assistants to the Varsity coach's.  

Some schools only pay the head coach, offensive and defensive coordinator, JV head coach, and Freshman Head coach.  All other coach's are volunteer coach's.  Many times these programs are very easy to detect because the coach's are different every year and the program struggles because of the lack of consistency.  The program may have one successful season where they are above .500 and then have several under .500.  Another way to tell is the head coach turnover.  Because he can't get paid coach's his staff changes every year making it difficult to build off the previous season.

Mississinewa has a couple of volunteer coach's on the staff.  These coach's typically have a full time job that limits how much time they can spend at practices.  Usually the 6th grade head coach, which the team is part of the youth league, is one of the Volunteer coach's but he is there to learn the system to help build the program and prep the kids for junior high and high school play.  All of the other coach's are paid.

The bigger the program usually the more money but also the more coach's.  There are some of the large programs that have coordinators and position coach's for the JV, and Freshman teams as well as the varsity.  These coach's are assistants to the Varsity coach's.  

Some schools only pay the head coach, offensive and defensive coordinator, JV head coach, and Freshman Head coach.  All other coach's are volunteer coach's.  Many times these programs are very easy to detect because the coach's are different every year and the program struggles because of the lack of consistency.  The program may have one successful season where they are above .500 and then have several under .500.  Another way to tell is the head coach turnover.  Because he can't get paid coach's his staff changes every year making it difficult to build off the previous season.

BLACKFORD - The Bruins should be solid this season.

EASTBROOK - Betting on the Panthers until I have a reason not to.

LAPEL - The Bulldogs are too much for Elwood to handle.

TIPTON - Madison Grant will be an improved team this year, but not that improved.

PENDLETON HTS - The Arabians edge out the Indians to start off the season.

EASTERN - The Golden Eagles haven’t been good at football in quite a while.

FRANKTON - This game is a coin flip for me, but I’ll go with the Eagles in a close one.

ALEXANDRIA MONROE - The Tigers turn it up against Wes Del.  Starting the season out with a big win.

Good luck to all the CIC teams and stay healthy!!

22 hours ago, halfbackpass said:

Doah plays for 1 HC and I believe 4 assistants. And the 4 MS coaches are also paid but I assume that's the MS budget. 

On 8/20/2019 at 11:24 PM, Indiansreloaded said:

When will Elwood start paying their assistant coach's?

Elwood started paying assistants last year.  A pool of money to be divided up at the head coach's discretion.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Foga said:

Elwood started paying assistants last year.  A pool of money to be divided up at the head coach's discretion.  

This is really great to hear. I had heard they went away from paying assistants at one time but I just figured that was a common occurrence for small schools with tight budgets across the state. It's good to know we are back in the business of staying competitive with our peers when it comes to adequate staffing. Thank you for your input.

Also, 

Blackford @ Monroe Central - Bruins are back af, baby!

Eastbrook Marion - James Blackmon and Zach Randolph dunk all over the visiting Panthers

Lapel @ Elwood - Burgeoning community adjacent to I69 > town where my 30 year old peers still loiter in the Dairy Queen parking lot

Madison-Grant Tipton - I've seen at least one person predict MG to beat Tipton at Tipton. I'm just gonna tell you, if that happens (it won't), I will personally drive the tractor hauling all 13 of the Argyll's fans Westbound down hwy 28 to paint that dumb rock black and gold. 

Ole Miss @ Pendleton - Completely guessing here. Is the Pancol kid still at Pendleton? Do CIC teams still play pass defense like an elderly woman wearing a VR headset?  If so, RIP Indians. 

Oak Hill @ Eastern - Idk jack about either squad.  Eastern is always bouncing between legitimacy and incompetence. Are this years Comets "Superbad" Jonah Hill or are they "21 Jump Street" Jonah Hill? Either way, Bud and the boys are left eating lunch by themselves like Steven Glansberg after this one. 

Tri-Central Frankton - I would just like to exclaim how proud I am of the Eagles for finally ditching a lowly athletic program with a small enrollment like APA in Week 1 in exchange for ... *checks notes*...Tri-Central? Since 2012 the Eagles have outscored their Week 1 opponent 336-40. NICE

Wes-Del @ Alexandria - Another game I know nothing about. Alex has a solid Pizza King and the only thing I remember about Gaston is that they sold us overpriced kegs of beer when I was at Ball State. Advantage: Tigers

• Like 3

2 hours ago, halfbackpass said:

Also, 

Blackford @ Monroe Central - Bruins are back af, baby!

Eastbrook Marion - James Blackmon and Zach Randolph dunk all over the visiting Panthers

Lapel @ Elwood - Burgeoning community adjacent to I69 > town where my 30 year old peers still loiter in the Dairy Queen parking lot

Madison-Grant Tipton - I've seen at least one person predict MG to beat Tipton at Tipton. I'm just gonna tell you, if that happens (it won't), I will personally drive the tractor hauling all 13 of the Argyll's fans Westbound down hwy 28 to paint that dumb rock black and gold. 

Ole Miss @ Pendleton - Completely guessing here. Is the Pancol kid still at Pendleton? Do CIC teams still play pass defense like an elderly woman wearing a VR headset?  If so, RIP Indians. 

Oak Hill @ Eastern - Idk jack about either squad.  Eastern is always bouncing between legitimacy and incompetence. Are this years Comets "Superbad" Jonah Hill or are they "21 Jump Street" Jonah Hill? Either way, Bud and the boys are left eating lunch by themselves like Steven Glansberg after this one. 

Tri-Central Frankton - I would just like to exclaim how proud I am of the Eagles for finally ditching a lowly athletic program with a small enrollment like APA in Week 1 in exchange for ... *checks notes*...Tri-Central? Since 2012 the Eagles have outscored their Week 1 opponent 336-40. NICE

Wes-Del @ Alexandria - Another game I know nothing about. Alex has a solid Pizza King and the only thing I remember about Gaston is that they sold us overpriced kegs of beer when I was at Ball State. Advantage: Tigers

Pancol is at Duke and should see the field as a freshman WR from what I've heard. 

So many of these games are toss-ups, especially on opening night when we know nothing about the teams.  Aside from Elwood and MG (losing), any of these teams could win or lose Friday night.

• Like 1