Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

High School Football Dying a Slow Death

Guest DT

This is the first time I have seen this article. I believe the title is inflammatory and false; a different look at the numbers would suggest the following title:

High School Football Participation Numbers Decreased Slightly, but that is OK

There is absolutely NO evidence that football is Dying a slow death. There is still plenty of participation. The author points to a 6.5% decrease in athletes playing football and the rise of Lacrosse. What the author does not point out is that the decrease in participating schools across the country has been 1% in 10 years. That means that 99% of the US high schools that fielded teams 10 years ago still have students excited about playing football. 1% decrease in schools participating is not a slow death.

Furthermore, the author makes additional points that explain the slight decrease in participation. Most notable of these is the decline in the total number of boys in this country aged 15-19. His census numbers showing that there are 700,000 fewer high school boys in this country accounts for a 6% decrease in the number of high school males. So football participation has decreased at the exact same level as high school boys attending high school. Amazing coincidence (haha). Bottom line: Using his numbers, the same proportion of boys are playing now as did 10 years ago. Hardly a dying sport.

There is some truth to arguments that sports specialization causes some athletes to choose other sports (baseball players choosing fall ball over football). There is also truth that some families are pushing kids in different directions due to concussion risk. And there are a few families that see sports as a path to a scholarship and push their kids toward other sports that that they mistakenly believe are easier routes to that scholarship.

But overall, our communities are excited about this Friday night and the beginning of football season. Players are excited. Students look forward to attending and entire communities are coming together on Friday nights.

Football is definitely not dying.   

• Like 11

6 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

This article is a year old. Please add something to make it relevant to conversation in 2019, or it will be deleted.

Seems a bit harsh...so anything over a year old is not worthy of discussion?  

Better go through the forums and start deleting a lot of threads then huh?

I think the number of students participating is contingent on the coaching staff and community support. 

I also dont think lacrosse has much to do with anything.  I played lacrosse in college at Wabash and there were a number of football stars who played. It’s mostly a spring sport with some fall ball.  If there is any sport “taking away” from football it’s soccer but even so, I don’t think it’s anything major.

like I said. Coaching and community support. Gibson Southern currently has its largest roster in the history of the school with 90 and it was said yesterday by coach Hart that the youth program is only 6 students shy of reaching its all time record. A school of 650 students having a roster of 90 (9-12) 

1 hour ago, Kick4fun said:

This is the first time I have seen this article. I believe the title is inflammatory and false; a different look at the numbers would suggest the following title:

High School Football Participation Numbers Decreased Slightly, but that is OK

There is absolutely NO evidence that football is Dying a slow death. There is still plenty of participation. The author points to a 6.5% decrease in athletes playing football and the rise of Lacrosse. What the author does not point out is that the decrease in participating schools across the country has been 1% in 10 years. That means that 99% of the US high schools that fielded teams 10 years ago still have students excited about playing football. 1% decrease in schools participating is not a slow death.

Furthermore, the author makes additional points that explain the slight decrease in participation. Most notable of these is the decline in the total number of boys in this country aged 15-19. His census numbers showing that there are 700,000 fewer high school boys in this country accounts for a 6% decrease in the number of high school males. So football participation has decreased at the exact same level as high school boys attending high school. Amazing coincidence (haha). Bottom line: Using his numbers, the same proportion of boys are playing now as did 10 years ago. Hardly a dying sport.

There is some truth to arguments that sports specialization causes some athletes to choose other sports (baseball players choosing fall ball over football). There is also truth that some families are pushing kids in different directions due to concussion risk. And there are a few families that see sports as a path to a scholarship and push their kids toward other sports that that they mistakenly believe are easier routes to that scholarship.

But overall, our communities are excited about this Friday night and the beginning of football season. Players are excited. Students look forward to attending and entire communities are coming together on Friday nights.

Football is definitely not dying.   

Absolutely not!  My train goes right by Mt. Carmel High School in the Chicago where the Caravan were engaged in morning practice, none of them appeared to be dying...

I see these types of threads on the forums here in TX, as well.  I concede that in general participation has decreased somewhat, it's pretty obvious, even in this state where football is or at least has been THE sport.  Some of it due to fear of head injuries or just injury in general.  Some also due to the rise in popularity of other sports.  I don't believe the sport is dying.  At least down here, and from what I read and am told, in IN as well, folk in general are pretty pumped about the season.  A lot has to do with community support/buy-in, and also the coaching staff.  FWIW, at the school my kids attended participation is actually up slightly this year.  I've heard the same from a couple other schools in our area.  Small sample size, but still.......

Edited by Bonecrusher

43 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Absolutely not!  My train goes right by Mt. Carmel High School in the Chicago where the Caravan were engaged in morning practice, none of them appeared to be dying...

Did you follow the MT Carmel bus from NWI across the border??   It is usually packed 

7 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Did you follow the MT Carmel bus from NWI across the border??   It is usually packed 

I didn't as I ride Metra--the way to really fly...

But I can attest to your point, two of my neighbors have kids that go there.

Yorktown just started a new Youth Football program that has 200 kids in it's first year.  Some kids played at a nearby league last year but many came from soccer and had never played prior to this year.  Football is not dying.  Football as we once knew it is no longer around but the sport itself is still going strong.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I think the number of students participating is contingent on the coaching staff and community support. 

I also dont think lacrosse has much to do with anything.  I played lacrosse in college at Wabash and there were a number of football stars who played. It’s mostly a spring sport with some fall ball.  If there is any sport “taking away” from football it’s soccer but even so, I don’t think it’s anything major.

like I said. Coaching and community support. Gibson Southern currently has its largest roster in the history of the school with 90 and it was said yesterday by coach Hart that the youth program is only 6 students shy of reaching its all time record. A school of 650 students having a roster of 90 (9-12) 

Agreed.  No conflict between lacrosse and football.  Spring and Fall. 

I’ve said it before, both Cathedral and Chatard have had kids who were All-State players in both sports.  I’d be hard pressed to find any more football crazed schools than those.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GoodKn19ht said:

Every time I see a title like this, then I see who posted it. I actually chuckle and shake my head.🙃

4 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Word!

Normally not even a need to see who posted it ... likely to be one of a couple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GoodKn19ht said:

Every time I see a title like this, then I see who posted it. I actually chuckle and shake my head.🙃

Yeah, but I'm also waiting now for the infamous "contraction" angle or discussion as well. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

Nahhh opposing viewpoints are a good thing. Even if they get ridiculous. And it suuuuure is entertaining. LOL

Opposing viewpoints I'm good with when it comes to run vs. spread, private vs. public, etc., Ridiculous yes, entertaining up to a point. I don't understand why a person takes the time to read GID, respond to different threads, send in support to keep GID going, even suggest that GID sell subscriptions at one point and then spend their time and energy to bash high school football and constantly campaign for it's demise at high schools all over the state. That blows my mind. Just walk away if it bothers you that much. Nuff said!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SenatorFan said:

Opposing viewpoints I'm good with when it comes to run vs. spread, private vs. public, etc., Ridiculous yes, entertaining up to a point. I don't understand why a person takes the time to read GID, respond to different threads, send in support to keep GID going, even suggest that GID sell subscriptions at one point and then spend their time and energy to bash high school football and constantly campaign for it's demise at high schools all over the state. That blows my mind. Just walk away if it bothers you that much. Nuff said!

Contraction is not about the like or dislike of football.  It is primarily a business-economic decision, as well as a very high level competitive balance issue.  Taken in the right context, contraction is an important tool designed to cull the bottom feeders and non performers from the pool of participating schools, hence raising the bar for those remaining to compete.  

I will admit, I do not like football like I used to.  The game has changed too much.  Its rather boring as most schools play the same offensive schemes, load their best athletes on one side of the ball, and blatantly ignore the defensive side of the game.  I caught a few plays of the Arizona Cardinals the other night with Kyler Murray at QB.  Honestly, it looked like a high school game.  Great position players like offensive linemen , fullbacks and linebackers have been marginalized to the point where their impact on the outcome of games is minimal.  Its unwatchable for me.  Its the game young people have grown up watching, but the majority of fans are still in the 35 to 70 age range, an era where football was played on a much more physical level .   I much prefer, and sorely miss, that style of play.  

19 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

This article is a year old. Please add something to make it relevant to conversation in 2019, or it will be deleted.

Over 900 views and 20 replies on an “irrelevant” topic...

11 hours ago, bittergymteacher said:

Yorktown just started a new Youth Football program that has 200 kids in it's first year.  Some kids played at a nearby league last year but many came from soccer and had never played prior to this year.  Football is not dying.  Football as we once knew it is no longer around but the sport itself is still going strong.

that's awesome!

12 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

This.  1000x this.

• Like 1

I believe if numbers are down it had to do with soft parents, coaches who do not teach proper tackling and schools who do not have a good feeder system! 

Alexandria of all schools was one of the worst 10-12 years ago. Got some good coaches in at the youth and high school level. Now an average  size 2a school puts out 50-60 h.s. kids each year.

Do your proper homework before you write an article! 

• Like 1

I coach middle school football. Our middle school has about 330 kids give or take. I have 42 kids combined on the two teams (7th and 8th grade). For simplicity's sake, lets assume half the 330 are boys (165), That means I have about 25% of the male population playing football for me. 

• Like 2