Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cowboys Extend Jaylon Smith

Bobref

With all the talk about contract extensions swirling around the Dallas Cowboys, I find it interesting that the first contract they extend is that of Indiana’s own Jaylon Smith. He’s played every game in the last two seasons after sitting out his rookie year with the horrific injury suffered in the Fiesta Bowl. I watched him several times last season, and I think this kid is going to be a superstar in the league for years to come. The Cowboys apparently think so, too. He’s now under contract for the next 5 years. It’s a five-year extension worth $64 million ($35.5 million guaranteed). The extension makes Smith the third-highest paid inside linebacker in the league, after the Seattle Seahawks’ Bobby Wagner and New York Jets’ C.J. Mosley. Just a great kid all the way around, and I think he’s going to have a breakout season coming up.

Perhaps some new uniforms or something coming up for Luers?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2019/08/20/jaylon-smith-contract-dallas-cowboys-extension-dak-prescott-ezekiel-elliott/2064890001/

• Like 1

Smith was the only one who was smart about his contract of the big names currently in Dallas. Reports are saying the cowboys have offered top 5 contracts (by position) to zeke dak smith and I believe cooper too but that may be for this next offseason.  Jaylon only had to negotiate a little and was happy so the deal was done in 10 days. Meanwhile zeke is holding out for more money and dak apparently wants 40 million a year instead of 30.

good on Jaylon for keeping his goals within the same goals of the cowboys organization.  

Edited by DumfriesYMCA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Smith was the only one who was smart about his contract of the big names currently in Dallas. Reports are saying the cowboys have offered top 5 contracts (by position) to zeke dak smith and I believe cooper too but that may be for this next offseason.  Jaylon only had to negotiate a little and was happy so the deal was done in 10 days. Meanwhile zeke is holding out for more money and dak apparently wants 40 million a year instead of 30.

good on Jaylon for keeping his goals within the same goals of the cowboys organization.  

As it turned out, he was fortunate that he was drafted in the second round, rather than the first. So, the Cowboys only had control of him for 4 years instead of 5. And they’re saving the franchise tag for Zeke.

• Like 1