Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Wishbone Thread

Here we talk about the Wishbone, its implementation, defenses (the invention of the 5-2 that led to the 3-4), power vs. option vs. counters, single motion, shifts, unbalanced.

What we do not talk about is any such thing called the "inverted Wishbone, triangles, Maryland Is, Power Is, and other bastardizations" of the most balanced (not good if your QB can throw to both sides), most perfect football formation ever devised by a coach.

Let's start with my favorite play. The 16 Blast (line follows FOIL blocking scheme, TE seals first backer inside of him, FB/playside RB blast the DE, playside RB takes another playside backer/SS/Rover, and the QB has three running lanes (over the DE's face, a slight inside cut between the DT and DE, or one-one-one in space against a corner back. QB has a reverse pivot, giving the backside RB two steps to get in front of the QB.

• Like 1

Um...there was this DUDE named Jade Winchell that was your dream QB out of the Wishbone. In my opinion....before my time there was this guy named King that wasn't bad. Also a Sigler at one point.....

Cole was good, but only played QB in the lower levels. 

Does anyone even still run the true Wishbone offense anymore in the State of Indiana?? 

6 minutes ago, jets said:

Um...there was this DUDE named Jade Winchell that was your dream QB out of the Wishbone. In my opinion....before my time there was this guy named King that wasn't bad. Also a Sigler at one point.....

Cole was good, but only played QB in the lower levels. 

Does anyone even still run the true Wishbone offense anymore in the State of Indiana?? 

Still?  That I do not know.

Up until 2015, we at KV did under then HFB Coach, Brad Stewart.

As @hhpatriot04 says, "The 16 Blast (line follows FOIL blocking scheme, TE seals first backer inside of him, FB/playside RB blast the DE, playside RB takes another playside backer/SS/Rover, and the QB has three running lanes (over the DE's face, a slight inside cut between the DT and DE, or one-one-one in space against a corner back. QB has a reverse pivot, giving the backside RB two steps to get in front of the QB."

At KV, we ran something very similar to this (our's was 34 blast w/ slightly differing blocking rules).

Our 1st game as a staff together, we ran 34 blast something like 30-40 times.  Our RB had something over 300 yards rushing (maybe closer to 400) and we never threw the ball once.  We prevailed 49-39.  That was one of my all time favorite games to coach.

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I remember vividly a certain game where KV ran for 634 yards on the ground and their RB had well over 200.   Yea, that one left a mark.   OL Coach Ellenwood had his peacock feather out on that night, rightfully so!!  

2013 and 2014 were different stories.

2015 back here.

Our staffs really had a good time competing against each other.

From 2012-2015 split 

2 wins for kv (1 at home/ 1 on road)

2 wins for rchs (1 at home/ 1 on road)

1 hour ago, DannEllenwood said:

Still?  That I do not know.

Up until 2015, we at KV did under then HFB Coach, Brad Stewart.

As @hhpatriot04 says, "The 16 Blast (line follows FOIL blocking scheme, TE seals first backer inside of him, FB/playside RB blast the DE, playside RB takes another playside backer/SS/Rover, and the QB has three running lanes (over the DE's face, a slight inside cut between the DT and DE, or one-one-one in space against a corner back. QB has a reverse pivot, giving the backside RB two steps to get in front of the QB."

At KV, we ran something very similar to this (our's was 34 blast w/ slightly differing blocking rules).

Our 1st game as a staff together, we ran 34 blast something like 30-40 times.  Our RB had something over 300 yards rushing (maybe closer to 400) and we never threw the ball once.  We prevailed 49-39.  That was one of my all time favorite games to coach.

Well when you throw the ball one of three things can happen, and two of them are bad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Was Jay Cutler the best HH QB to run the vaunted Wishbone at HH? 

Or Cole Siefreit?? 

In these years Cole Seifrig played RB for HH, which wasn't a bad decision by Coach Clayton I don't believe.  I would agree with Jets on this one, Jade Winchell may have been the best wishbone QB there, Jay liked to throw it too much. 

I often wonder why a team like Southridge, and there use of multiple backs, didn't ever introduce the wishbone more with all their different running formations??  Not saying they needed too, good lord they have been successful, but having to game prep for the Bone too!!

• Like 1

I knew Cole was a stud, forgot position!!    

North Miami:  3 1000 yard rushers in a season under Coach Bridge, who is not a shy guy, just saying  Love when I get an opportunity to sit and listen to him just enjoy life!!!

Coach Radke and his over 300 wins is still at New Prairie.  They run Flex and Wishbone, but have been incorporating more Gun Zone Option Reads last few years as well.   its a monster to deal with 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

In these years Cole Seifrig played RB for HH, which wasn't a bad decision by Coach Clayton I don't believe.  I would agree with Jets on this one, Jade Winchell may have been the best wishbone QB there, Jay liked to throw it too much. 

I often wonder why a team like Southridge, and there use of multiple backs, didn't ever introduce the wishbone more with all their different running formations??  Not saying they needed too, good lord they have been successful, but having to game prep for the Bone too!!

There was a game my senior year at Jasper where Southridge was dominating us in the wishbone (I believe it was, may have been Wing T).  Then for some reason, they went away from it.  

2 minutes ago, SoIndRef said:

There was a game my senior year at Jasper where Southridge was dominating us in the wishbone (I believe it was, may have been Wing T).  Then for some reason, they went away from it.  

Crazy with all of their formations, Full House, Wing T, Wing T with the Gun, that they never also made the commitment to the Bone just to give you one more thing to worry about.  AGAIN not saying they had too, but man.....

7 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I knew Cole was a stud, forgot position!!    

North Miami:  3 1000 yard rushers in a season under Coach Bridge, who is not a shy guy, just saying  Love when I get an opportunity to sit and listen to him just enjoy life!!!

Coach Radke and his over 300 wins is still at New Prairie.  They run Flex and Wishbone, but have been incorporating more Gun Zone Option Reads last few years as well.   its a monster to deal with 

Coach,  North Miami had 4 1000 yard rushers in 1993.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SoIndRef said:

Jasper has gone through iterations under Brewer and then especially Ahrens where their base was I Formation, Double TE, Flanker R/L; a true Power I; a FB/HB/TB (basically a triangle); and also more recently under Ahrens a true Wishbone and inverted Wishbone (two FBs...). They were never able to develop effective passing out of the Wishbone. 

Later Ahrens went to some spread sets and I believe even some Pistol/motion stuff. One thing you can always count on is Jasper having a 6-3, 230 pound RB/FB type probably with the name Schmidt or Schuetter or Messinger or Lewis, who can get you three yards on most well-blocked plays. 

Let's see how the Wishbone develops in the 21st century against newer defenses liked the 4-2-5, 3-3-5, 3-5-3, and other alignments. Using the middle of the field is often forgotton in this new-fangled world of tip-toeing WRs and presnap reads/sideline audibles.