Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Contraction Bubble Expanding - Add Dugger and several of their opponents to the list

Guest DT

Doesn't bode well for Dugger Union's pending IHSAA membership pending in 2022-23...

Union plays five games to keep football going

Friday, August 23, 2019

By Andrew Bowen SPORTS WRITER

DUGGER -- A small Bulldog football team will play a smaller schedule in 2019.

Union football coach Jeff Griffith said the ‘Dogs will play only five games this fall because less than 20 players are on its roster. Noblesville HomeSchool, Anderson Prep Academy, Riverton Parke, and Edinburgh have been dropped from the schedule.

Read below on situation at Dugger, as well as several of the ir 2019 scheduled opponents.  Youve got to think that pulling the plug might be the better option than risking injury and continuing to fund such a futile operation.

“We’re only playing five games,” he said, “but we’re trying to keep Dugger football going. We’re looking to the future.”

The Bulldogs’ first game will be at noon Saturday, Aug. 31, when they host Rock Creek Academy. Their other games will be Southside Crimson Knights at home, 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14; at Martinsville (IL), 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 20; Indiana School for the Deaf, home, 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 5; and at Indianapolis Tindley, 6 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11.

“We spoke to all the other schools,” Griffith said. “They’re about in the same situation we are. They only have 15 to 22 kids aside from the Deaf School.”

Eighteen players are out for the team, about the same number as last year. However, Griffith said more of this year’s squad are academically eligible to play.

“We’re got more eligibles this year,” he said. “Of the 18, we’ve only got two that aren’t eligible.”

With its numbers, he continued, Union ought to be playing a JV schedule.

“With our boys, we’re just trying to keep healthy,” he said.

However, he pointed out only two of the players are seniors. Griffith said eight to 10 eighth-graders have come out for the junior high team. He said Union could field as many as 24 players in 2020 because “they’ll be coming up next year.

“We’re looking bright in the future, we’re hoping,” he added.

15 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Which of the teams in that article have endzone cameras? I have been seeing more of them in recent years. Is this an important tool for coaches?

Please start a single thread addressing this topic. You're on every thread in this forum asking the same question over and over again. It's a little annoying to say the least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I don't think this is all about football. How many students are enrolled at Union HS? They also have the opportunity to play at various other schools and some do at great effort on their families. Union as a school is trying to survive. Football and turnouts is not really in the equation. The community wants to hold it all together, Maybe it cant be done. Its not a Football issue.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DT said:

Doesn't bode well for Dugger Union's pending IHSAA membership pending in 2022-23...

Union plays five games to keep football going

Friday, August 23, 2019

By Andrew Bowen SPORTS WRITER

DUGGER -- A small Bulldog football team will play a smaller schedule in 2019.

Union football coach Jeff Griffith said the ‘Dogs will play only five games this fall because less than 20 players are on its roster. Noblesville HomeSchool, Anderson Prep Academy, Riverton Parke, and Edinburgh have been dropped from the schedule.

Read below on situation at Dugger, as well as several of the ir 2019 scheduled opponents.  Youve got to think that pulling the plug might be the better option than risking injury and continuing to fund such a futile operation.

“We’re only playing five games,” he said, “but we’re trying to keep Dugger football going. We’re looking to the future.”

The Bulldogs’ first game will be at noon Saturday, Aug. 31, when they host Rock Creek Academy. Their other games will be Southside Crimson Knights at home, 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14; at Martinsville (IL), 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 20; Indiana School for the Deaf, home, 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 5; and at Indianapolis Tindley, 6 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11.

“We spoke to all the other schools,” Griffith said. “They’re about in the same situation we are. They only have 15 to 22 kids aside from the Deaf School.”

Eighteen players are out for the team, about the same number as last year. However, Griffith said more of this year’s squad are academically eligible to play.

“We’re got more eligibles this year,” he said. “Of the 18, we’ve only got two that aren’t eligible.”

With its numbers, he continued, Union ought to be playing a JV schedule.

“With our boys, we’re just trying to keep healthy,” he said.

However, he pointed out only two of the players are seniors. Griffith said eight to 10 eighth-graders have come out for the junior high team. He said Union could field as many as 24 players in 2020 because “they’ll be coming up next year.

“We’re looking bright in the future, we’re hoping,” he added.

Just curious... do you ever post anything positive about football? 

• Like 1

If memory serves, Union is not a public school anymore. Their school was consolidated - or should I say contracted - into neighboring districts. I think this is the group of families who started a charter school after that. 

By the same token, to use your logic - East Germany and West Germany contracted their Olympic Programs. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Tanka Jahari said:

I will find a different way to find the information I am looking for.

It's pretty easy to start a topic. 

1 minute ago, Tanka Jahari said:

While I have you here though, does Hamilton Heights use an endzone camera?

I never noticed. I'm busy watching the game.

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, globemstr3 said:

I don't think this is all about football. How many students are enrolled at Union HS? They also have the opportunity to play at various other schools and some do at great effort on their families. Union as a school is trying to survive. Football and turnouts is not really in the equation. The community wants to hold it all together, Maybe it cant be done. Its not a Football issue.

I think Dugger's 9-12 enrollment is upwards of 150 but I'm not sure.

The school itself is doing fine. And their girls sports are competitive with the smaller schools around here.

One of the problems they're facing with football is, for the past few years there have been several kids who, a generation ago would have played for Dugger,; now they're strapping on red helmets with a white block letter "L" on the side...

• Like 1

Isn't part of the reason that the charter school was opened because they wanted to keep the identity of the school and community alive? I'd say that might factor into any "contraction" talk. For those new to the forum, Driven T does this stuff. He'll come on, post something controversial, and then skedattle. He's good at it. It's what he does. 

• Like 1