Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Time to hand off the baton

Guest DT

Feeling a bit nostalgic this morning

I remember very clearly the first time I came in contact with the Gridiron Digest.  It was the spring of 2004.  I was in my office at Galyans in Plainfield as we were in the process of being bought out by rival Dicks Sporting Goods.  I was on the transition team, and we had a lot of time on our hands so I stumbled upon the GID as I was surfing the web.

Hard to believe 15 years have gone by.  We've all changed.  

I immediately entered the Holy War against the PP Horde, taking an aggressive position against Catholic high school football hegemony in Indiana, and especially in Indianapolis.  Growing up in The Region of Northwest Indiana, Andrean and Bishop Noll were never considered  a threat to the powers of the Duneland Conference, and a mere nuisance to the better schools in the Lake Suburban, including my beloved alma mater, Highland High School.  Noll did have some solid teams in the late 70s, but we handled them .

I have no doubt that the loud chatter we created on The GID during that glorious period (2004-2007) helped to raise awareness of the gross competitive imbalance between PP and public schools, and lead indirectly to the formation of the Success Factor, which I have always just considered to be a politically motivated and watered down version of The Multiplier.  

Here we are now in 2019, and a new breed of posters /forum members are driving the new and hopefully improved GID.  Its also time for some sharp young  posters to step up and drive forum discussion with relevant topics and content that is important to your demographic.  The GID server crash opens the door to a new beginning, and also some endings.  

Semi retirement looms soon on the horizon, and I gaze with wandering eyes westward, and a new beginning in Arizona.  I will always follow high school football, and will remain a minor contributor here as topics catch my attention.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the banter between us over the years.  Its been great fun.  

With regards to the contraction issue, I feel strongly that we are entering into a period where admins will pull the plug on high school football programs across the nation, citing issues such as lack of competitiveness, low participation, high operating costs, and serious injury ramifications.  The trend has already started, as several Indiana programs have already closed their doors, and many others are on the brink.  Id like to see Indiana settle in around 280 football playing schools.  This will improve the overall competitive profile across the state, and eliminate programs that cannot or will not compete.

All the best in 2019 to all the forum members, and hope to meet up in a GID thread again soon 

DT

Best of luck on your move and your new adventures DT. We certainly have gone round and round ourselves over the years, but one thing that is undeniable; you generate a lot of conversation here. Looking forward to hearing how things are going for you in the Southwest. A HS friend of mine moved there recently, taking the job of director of rec sports at U of A and absolutely loves it down there.

Even if you step into the shadows as a minor contributor I'm sure what comments you have will generate plenty of action. While I never have been involved in those discussion they have always made great reading material. Best of luck. Arizona is fantastic. Own a pool!! 

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Are you designating a successor as the unofficial agent provocateur of the GID?

Those shoes are impossible to fill Bobref.

😉

The bench is lean here on The GID.

Edited by DT

On 1/25/2019 at 12:26 PM, Bobref said:

Good luck, my friend. You’re not half bad ... for a Highland guy.😀

A lot of my old high school buddies are now living in Munster.  I guess Highland isn't  quite good enough any more.  LOL. 

We had a good run against the Mustangs during my high school years.

My freshman year, Highland beat Munster for the first time 7-0 at Munster.  I remember being at the game and it was a huge event.  Munster walloped us 48-0 in '76 , my sophomore year.  

We went back to Munster in 77' and controlled the game, but gave it away late and lost 9-7.  I remember Dave Such and Dennis Flynn playing big roles on those teams, as did QB Artie Qquijah (spelling??)

In '78, the Mustangs (5-1) rolled into Highland (6-0) and we drubbed them 22-0 on our way to a 10-0 season and Lake Suburban Conference championship.  Yours truly had a TD on a jump pass across the middle from 10 yards out and a 2PT conversion on a TE screen pass that night for the Trojan offense .  Caught 5 passes in the game, best night of my career.  

I remember clearly the fourth quarter of the that game.  We had the outcome well in hand, and our offensive line was just teeing off on the Munster linebackers and secondary.  Lots of pancakes, double teams and unnecessary downfield blocks in those last 12 minutes.  

Great memories.

• 3 years later...