Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Columbus North @ Columbus East

Rivalry week in Columbus. This is always a full house and always a pretty good game no matter how different the teams are. CN had some bad breaks against Avon (believe they had 2 fumble’s returned 70+ yards for TD’s).

CE came out very well against Whiteland. The offense was clicking and the defense looked pretty good (but have some lapses that could be fixed).

East is a very balanced offensive team this year which will make them tough to defend. Looking forward to good weather and an even better football game on Friday night at Stafford Field. 

I’m not sure how to evaluate CN. I can tell you this, Avon’s line on both sides of the ball manhandled North. Is Avon that good? I don’t know. But the game in LOS was a total mismatch at almost every position. This was a one game contract and I think Bulldog Bless is glad of that. 

44 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

I’m not sure how to evaluate CN. I can tell you this, Avon’s line on both sides of the ball manhandled North. Is Avon that good? I don’t know. But the game in LOS was a total mismatch at almost every position. This was a one game contract and I think Bulldog Bless is glad of that. 

Was just crazy to see that North outgained Avon 262-217 in yardage, and North had 13 first downs compared to Avon only having 5... I would look at that and say North had won pretty easily, when in fact it was the complete opposite. 

2 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

Was just crazy to see that North outgained Avon 262-217 in yardage, and North had 13 first downs compared to Avon only having 5... I would look at that and say North had won pretty easily, when in fact it was the complete opposite. 

Avon starters only played in the 1st half. North moved the ball pretty well in the 2nd half. 2 blocked punts didn’t help them either.

Bad breaks, or just bad plays?  Thought Avon recovered a third fumble on a kickoff, was sure the kicker recovered it but somehow must not have held on.  And the yardage numbers are seriously skewed by the late third and full fourth quarter against the 3rd stringers.  I was there, it was ugly, total dominance in all phases.  If East has any trouble at all with North I would be shocked.  And yes, I think Avon is that good.  A lot of talent on that field last night.

1 hour ago, gaby said:

Bad breaks, or just bad plays?  Thought Avon recovered a third fumble on a kickoff, was sure the kicker recovered it but somehow must not have held on.  And the yardage numbers are seriously skewed by the late third and full fourth quarter against the 3rd stringers.  I was there, it was ugly, total dominance in all phases.  If East has any trouble at all with North I would be shocked.  And yes, I think Avon is that good.  A lot of talent on that field last night.

East and North is a wild game, kids are nervous, the city is there... rarely is a game a blowout in this series. If it was more than a 3 score game I will be surprised. I think it will actually be a pretty good game.. East this year is very balanced and will throw the ball all over the field. 

2 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

When was this?

When Conference Indiana lost Perry Meridian and Franklin Central they were trying to find teams to replace them and get the membership back up to eight. Columbus East and several other schools were invited but all turned the offer down. The inside scoop was that all of them thought Terre Haute was too long of a drive and wasn't economical for them. I'll see if I can find the article. It's been a couple of years.

23 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

North lost a lot of guys off last year's team and are quite young this year. Nevertheless, I think the Avon game isn't a good indicator of how North is as a team. I believe the Orioles are a legit top 5 team in the state regardless of class.

Sort of related but I thought Preston Terrell was the best player on the field for Brownsburg Friday night...

Edited by Guest

35 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

When Conference Indiana lost Perry Meridian and Franklin Central they were trying to find teams to replace them and get the membership back up to eight. Columbus East and several other schools were invited but all turned the offer down. The inside scoop was that all of them thought Terre Haute was too long of a drive and wasn't economical for them. I'll see if I can find the article. It's been a couple of years.

@DanteEstonia Here's the only article I could find. http://www.therepublic.com/2017/03/23/conference_indiana_looking_to_replace_departing_members/

I can't seem to find the one I'm directly referring to, but it talked about how North's athletic director was directing an effort to try and get Columbus East to join Conference Indiana.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

@DanteEstonia Here's the only article I could find. http://www.therepublic.com/2017/03/23/conference_indiana_looking_to_replace_departing_members/

I can't seem to find the one I'm directly referring to, but it talked about how North's athletic director was directing an effort to try and get Columbus East to join Conference Indiana.

Thank you for citing your sources. A lot of people, particularly on this board, won’t do that.

• Like 1