Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mercy Rule? No thanks

Is the mercy rule good for HS football? In the 2015 state championship game, New Pal scored 35 unanswered points against Snider in about a quarter and a half. 

What really bothers me about this rule is that good football programs...........I'm not talking about the wannabes who run up scores in an effort to gain respect......................but actual programs who use the second half to to give playing time to seniors who aren't starters, and underclassmen who need reps to get better. This rule is an absolute disservice to good football programs. Congrats to the wannabes for causing the IHSAA create this idiotic rule. 

• Like 2

Just now, BTF said:

Is the mercy rule good for HS football? In the 2015 state championship game, New Pal scored 35 unanswered points against Snider in about a quarter and a half. 

What really bothers me about this rule is that good football programs...........I'm not talking about the wannabes who run up scores in an effort to gain respect......................but actual programs who use the second half to to give playing time to seniors who aren't starters, and underclassmen who need reps to get better. This rule is an absolute disservice to good football programs. Congrats to the wannabes for causing the IHSAA create this idiotic rule. 

It's actually a really good rule. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BTF said:

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again....

if youre good enough to run up the score that fast and early you are good enough to have those seniors rotate in throughout the game.  There is absolutely no reason that a powerhouse team cannot play their 2s/3s earlier on in the game if they are that much better.  

If a team has  a blowout going and they have one of their top guys get a cramp or something they usually just put in the depth guy anyways. Happened last night for Gibson Southern.  Teams who say they need the clock to play their guys in blowouts are the ones doing a disservice to their players and the program. Not the IHSAA. 

• Like 3

I'm not a huge fan of the running clock.  The rule that makes the biggest difference IMO is the 6 quarter rule. Up until this year, schools like New Pal couldn't really sub until the 4th quarter otherwise they wouldn't be able to field a JV team.  Now in games like last night, 56-0 at halftime,  the starters didn't play at all in the 2nd half and younger kids got more playing time.  

• Like 5

I understand to intent of the rule but I believe at every score, flag , official discussion the clock should stop. 

I addition, if the opposing team cuts it’s under 35 go back to stopping the clock. 

And even understanding the intent of the rule it’s still a miserable rule. 

2 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

I'm not a huge fan of the running clock.  The rule that makes the biggest difference IMO is the 6 quarter rule. Up until this year, schools like New Pal couldn't really sub until the 4th quarter otherwise they wouldn't be able to field a JV team.  Now in games like last night, 56-0 at halftime,  the starters didn't play at all in the 2nd half and younger kids got more playing time.  

Twice the amount of snaps in the second half for the younger players without the mercy rule. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, starbacker said:

I addition, if the opposing team cuts it’s under 35 go back to stopping the clock. 

That would make it easier to justify. 

Or a mandatory meeting at midfield between the head coaches when the deficit reaches 42. Let the coach on the losing sideline decide.

4 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

agreed, don't care for it.  I think the move to 6 quarters should have been done first.

I would have liked to see a year w/ 6 quarters prior to mercy rule as well.

Mercy rule good: It limits chances (snaps) for injury to starters in a blowout. It also allows the JV kids to run a true offense. Out of bounds, incomplete passes, etc. don’t stop the clock, so you aren’t forced to run a kid straight up the middle for 3 plays and punt. 

Bad: I would have preferred 42 at half/35 4th. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, starbacker said:

I understand to intent of the rule but I believe at every score, flag , official discussion the clock should stop. 

And even understanding the intent of the rule it’s still a miserable rule. 

It already stops at scores. It's a good rule. 

• Like 1

Not a fan of the mercy rule, I'd like to see everyone going out on the field and looking to score 100 every friday night.

Put the subs in once you have a cool 70 to 80 point lead. Maybe that would encourage some people to actually learn how to tackle.

• Sad 1
  • Disdain 1
  • Kill me now 1
  • Sit and spin 1

Not a fan of the mercy rule, I'd like to see everyone going out on the field and looking to score 100 every friday night.

Put the subs in once you have a cool 70 to 80 point lead. Maybe that would encourage some people to actually learn how to tackle.

18 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

I don't think this is correct.  From what I've heard, getting it back under 35 doesn't matter.  

If at the halftime break, or anytime following, the score differential is 35 or more, the game clock will run continually, stopping only for scores, time outs, or injuries.  The only person to stop the clock during application of the mercy rule is the Referee (White Hat).

• Like 1

Michigan City was up on Griffith 41-0 the end of the first quarter.  Both  coaches agreed to start a running clock.  Last year of the contract between City and Griffith.

I would like to add the Michigan City Wolves Wolfpack marching band performed a stunning halftime rendition of one of the greatest compositions of American music of all time.  Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin.

Dwenger has it's own mercy rule. When the go up 14 the start rotating in 2nd teamers. If they get up 28 the 2nd team is all in. What I hate is the losing team is down 35 points they still have there starters in against our 2nd and 3rd teamers. I called those garbage points. So I like the rule. But it hurts good programs who build there back ups with real game time. So I like that idea of 6qts.