Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mercy Rule? No thanks

I don’t think the mercy rule should be in effect until the 4th quarter or a a higher point deferential. We went into a game on Friday up 36 so the mercy rule in effect entire second half (good for our team) but the other team did have a good effort to try to make a comeback and possibly could have had this rule not been in place.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 1:05 PM, BDGiant93 said:

I can think of only twice in all the Ben Davis games that I've covered that the mercy rule would have been a problem for a team coming back from a deficit. In 2000, Ben Davis led Warren 35-0 before Warren scored 30 straight points. BD scored 30 straight to win, 65-30. Also, I believe BD got a big lead on Avon one time to have the Orioles come back before BD pulled away and won in MAYBE the 2011 Sectional.

Other than that, I really can't think of another time in all the blowouts I've seen (whether benefiting BD or otherwise) that a mercy rule would have hampered a comeback. I love the new rule. It will speed up non-competitive games and perhaps even prevent injuries.

Snider vs New Pal in the State Title game a few years ago.. I believe New Pal was down by like 35 and came back to take the lead and Snider won the game. 

• Like 1

I believe the IHSAA is open to tweaking the Mercy Rule based on experience. They have now asked every crew chief to fill out an online form for every game in which the Mercy Rule is utilized. They’ll collate these data and see how it’s working.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

Snider vs New Pal in the State Title game a few years ago.. I believe New Pal was down by like 35 and came back to take the lead and Snider won the game. 

Snider was up on New Pal 42-14 in the second quarter before the Dragon's started chipping away. 

It's a lousy rule, plain and simple. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BTF said:

Snider was up on New Pal 42-14 in the second quarter before the Dragon's started chipping away. 

It's a lousy rule, plain and simple. 

I’m glad I have the right to disagree. I think the coaches did a great job of coming up with something. Seems to be working out very well so far. With the avg margin of victory getting more and more out of hand something needed to be changed. Week 1 had the lowest avg margin of victory since 9/9/2011 21.9. 

3 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

I’m glad I have the right to disagree. I think the coaches did a great job of coming up with something. Seems to be working out very well so far. With the avg margin of victory getting more and more out of hand something needed to be changed. Week 1 had the lowest avg margin of victory since 9/9/2011 21.9. 

Something needed to be done? How about get better... I know I know, in 2019 that comment might be offensive. 

19 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

Something needed to be done? How about get better... I know I know, in 2019 that comment might be offensive. 

I understand sheep mentality and “get better is the typical response “. What’s the point of 50-0 at the half and the winning team running full back dive up the middle 3 times and punt while the losing team throws 3 incompletions and punts. Who is getting better at that point. With the running clock you can bring in the jv run/throw the ball like normal of its incomplete clock keeps running and you can have a better game for the back ups

Edited by Huge Football Fan

19 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

The coaches came up with this? That is what is so perplexing. I just don't know how the number 35 makes any sense. I don't know how it makes any sense to keep the clock running when the team coming back is mounting a comeback? I don't care who came up with it. It's a disappointing rule to say the least. It's almost as if the rule was created during a one hour meeting. Not enough time to think things through. Is what it is I guess. 

1 minute ago, BTF said:

The coaches came up with this? That is what is so perplexing. I just don't know how the number 35 makes any sense. I don't know how it makes any sense to keep the clock running when the team coming back is mounting a comeback? I don't care who came up with it. It's a disappointing rule to say the least. It's almost as if the rule was created during a one hour meeting. Not enough time to think things through. Is what it is I guess. 

Do we have record of a game where someone was down 35 in the second half and won?

48 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

I understand sheep mentality and “get better is the typical response “. What’s the point of 50-0 at the half and the winning team running full back dive up the middle 3 times and punt while the losing team throws 3 incompletions and punts. Who is getting better at that point. With the running clock you can bring in the jv run/throw the ball like normal of its incomplete clock keeps running and you can have a better game for the back ups

And I understand the mentality of “everyone gets a trophy”   The pussifcation of the nation runs strong. 

• Like 1

If you take 100 games where the differential is 35 points in the second half you may have 1 or 2 where the losing team can make a legitimate comeback. I'll take 98/99 over 1/2 every time. This is something the IFCA has been discussing and debating the past few years. They all wanted some kind of mercy rule but couldn't agree on the score differential, reasons to stop the clock, restore after it gets to a certain point, etc. This was definitely much more than a 1-hour discussion. I agree with Bobref modifications will be discussed after the year, but I think they came up with a good, simple approach.

Our game last night had the mercy rule the entire second half. The winning team ran one series with some of it's starters but thanks to the quarter rule subbed in the rest of the half. The home team got to play with their regular starters most of the second half to get more experience to get better against competition that was more of an equal. Both teams got the ball twice and 3 TDs were scored on those 4 drives. It was exactly why the mercy rule was implemented, and I thought it worked well. If this had been last year I don't think either coach suggests a running clock in the second half. That only seemed to happen if it was a 42+.

Good job IFCA!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, JustRules said:

If you take 100 games where the differential is 35 points in the second half you may have 1 or 2 where the losing team can make a legitimate comeback. I'll take 98/99 over 1/2 every time. This is something the IFCA has been discussing and debating the past few years. They all wanted some kind of mercy rule but couldn't agree on the score differential, reasons to stop the clock, restore after it gets to a certain point, etc. This was definitely much more than a 1-hour discussion. I agree with Bobref modifications will be discussed after the year, but I think they came up with a good, simple approach.

Our game last night had the mercy rule the entire second half. The winning team ran one series with some of it's starters but thanks to the quarter rule subbed in the rest of the half. The home team got to play with their regular starters most of the second half to get more experience to get better against competition that was more of an equal. Both teams got the ball twice and 3 TDs were scored on those 4 drives. It was exactly why the mercy rule was implemented, and I thought it worked well. If this had been last year I don't think either coach suggests a running clock in the second half. That only seemed to happen if it was a 42+.

Good job IFCA!

I get why they did it, doesn’t mean I like it. CE and New Pal (just naming those 2 because they are 2 schools that have succeeded in bigger classes with much smaller enrollment) succeeded year after year not only because they had great players but because those teams were able to play backups in blowout games against other schools varsity teams. Freshman and Sophmores getting quality snaps and minutes in a varsity type setting. That’s my only argument on this whole topic. 

1 hour ago, starbacker said:

To me the easy fix (that shouldn’t have to wait until next year) if a team goes go by 35+ run the clock and if a team cuts it to under 35 start stopping it again. That way the 2/100 that is possible can still happen. 

The problem I have with this solution is that you used common sense to come up with it. This should never be tolerated when making decisions that affect lots of young people.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

And I understand the mentality of “everyone gets a trophy”   The pussifcation of the nation runs strong. 

Again sheep mentality! Typical blah blah. 49-0 at the half the second half is terrible. The winning team doesn’t want to do anything with the back ups cuz they want the clock to run. I Believe this opens up the second/third team to play football. If your throw a incomplete pass on third down who cares. This is way better in the long run. Closed minded people will complain just to complain without really looking at the benefits. Which is typical 

Edited by Huge Football Fan

4 hours ago, starbacker said:

To me the easy fix (that shouldn’t have to wait until next year) if a team goes go by 35+ run the clock and if a team cuts it to under 35 start stopping it again. That way the 2/100 that is possible can still happen. 

I think is numbers were just made up I think it’s more like 1/10,000

csn anyone come up with a game where a team was down 35 in the second half and won? I still have yet to hear of a game like that 

17 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

Again sheep mentality! Typical blah blah. 49-0 at the half the second half is terrible. The winning team doesn’t want to do anything with the back ups cuz they want the clock to run. I Believe this opens up the second/third team to play football. If your throw a incomplete pass on third down who cares. This is way better in the long run. Closed minded people will complain just to complain without really looking at the benefits. Which is typical 

😂😂😂😂😂

The mercy rule put us in a weird spot on Friday night.  We are up 36-0 at the half.  We wanted to play as many kids as possible, but with the running clock it just wasn't possible.  After the game, we heard some players were upset because they didn't get into the game.  Some parents were upset because their kid didn't get into the game.  We try our best as coaches, but it's a lot harder than you think to get everyone on your team into a game.  We have a young program and we need to get our varsity players as many reps as possible.  It is a balancing act that I think a lot of teams are trying juggle at this point in the season.  We finished the game 42-0 and played all but a handful of our players.  With a normal running clock we could have played everyone and they could have received some meaningful varsity reps.  It's a weird change, but I guess the players, coaches, and families will all have to adjust this season.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Duke of Denham said:

The mercy rule put us in a weird spot on Friday night.  We are up 36-0 at the half.  We wanted to play as many kids as possible, but with the running clock it just wasn't possible.  After the game, we heard some players were upset because they didn't get into the game.  Some parents were upset because their kid didn't get into the game.  We try our best as coaches, but it's a lot harder than you think to get everyone on your team into a game.  We have a young program and we need to get our varsity players as many reps as possible.  It is a balancing act that I think a lot of teams are trying juggle at this point in the season.  We finished the game 42-0 and played all but a handful of our players.  With a normal running clock we could have played everyone and they could have received some meaningful varsity reps.  It's a weird change, but I guess the players, coaches, and families will all have to adjust this season.  

Exactly, but we have the 2019 mentality... well you know where that’s going. I 100% agree that the mercy rule hurts kids from getting varsity reps and preparing them for next year or later on down the road. I full heartedly agree with your post. 

• Like 1

I’ve seen our team up 35+ & down 35+

I can’t honestly say I’ve seen a coach ours or an opponent intentionally run up the score. 

I have heard folks in our stands say Gaddis at Columbus East was and that’s laughable. If you call using 2nd & 3rd stringers and running the ball up the middle then maybe he has. I’ve had 2 boys play sports/football and their response even in 2019 is if we can’t stop them that’s on us. 

Again I am willing to concede and reach a compromise on the rule and hopefully adjustments are made. 

I know we are beating a dead horse here but drop the 6 quarter rule and I’d say using Varsity players past one series in the third quarter would drop to about 1%. 

I don’t think officials intentionally make bad calls and screw teams and I don’t think Varsity Head Coaches run up the score. 

Now Pee wee coaches and referees are another story 😂

Another complaint is we mercy ruled our opponent during the Freshman game Saturday. Same rules apply, ridiculous now a freshman who does not start gets very little playing time. 🤦‍♂️ 

On 8/31/2019 at 2:49 PM, starbacker said:

I really like this idea!

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

I really like this idea!

Talking with coaches and officials in other states that have this, it's a pain. I'm guessing that's why they didn't implement it here. You could end up going back and forth with clock status and everyone gets confused. The advice I've heard from them is if at all possible once you go to the running clock stay with the running clock.

• Like 2