Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mercy Rule? No thanks

On 8/31/2019 at 1:49 PM, starbacker said:

To me the easy fix (that shouldn’t have to wait until next year) if a team goes go by 35+ run the clock and if a team cuts it to under 35 start stopping it again. That way the 2/100 that is possible can still happen. 

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

I really like this idea!

No. No. No.

If you want to argue it shouldn’t be until 42 points, the 4th quarter, or exist at all- fine.

But once it runs, it runs. 

The starters should never be thrown back into a game just to preserve a running clock, perhaps after sitting for 30 minutes or more. 

If a losing team wants to shoot off fireworks and celebrate for a full minute after cutting the lead to 35-6 so be it. But the clock shouldn’t stop. 

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree that it's a "chore" to change.  I don't believe most clock operators, and I know some, would have any problem with going back and forth. Just my opinion of course.

Also increasing the threshold to 36 or 42 points is better than the current 35 points.

A few years back, Cathedral had a 42-0 halftime lead at Whiteland in the Playoffs.  Cathedral pulled the starters and Whiteland scored 28 points in about 5 minutes of the third quarter and Coach Streiff had to put the starters back in.  Anything can happen.  

10 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

They have?

That e-mail just went out Friday. Any game that utilizes the Mercy Rule, the crew chief is to fill out the online data collection form here: http://sgiz.mobi/s3/ea796daa4521

Looking at the addresses on the e-mail, I believe it went to the observers and the football program chairs of each association.

3 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

They have?

Isn't it interesting how communication filters down from the IHSAA with respects to the officiating. I've read a few times on these exact forums that the IHSAA wants the officials to do things a certain way, or handle situations in a specific manner. HOWEVER, I never have received anything from the IHSAA themselves. In the officiating forum, someone posted about how to handle the fake kneel down situation, yet I've never heard anything from the IHSAA. I understand that they have a ton of things to monitor and rule upon and that's why there should be a supervisor of officials who is responsible for communication, training, and development. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Moshiner1345 said:

Isn't it interesting how communication filters down from the IHSAA with respects to the officiating. I've read a few times on these exact forums that the IHSAA wants the officials to do things a certain way, or handle situations in a specific manner. HOWEVER, I never have received anything from the IHSAA themselves. In the officiating forum, someone posted about how to handle the fake kneel down situation, yet I've never heard anything from the IHSAA. I understand that they have a ton of things to monitor and rule upon and that's why there should be a supervisor of officials who is responsible for communication, training, and development. 

No argument with anything you’ve said. Right now, directives/official interpretations go from the IHSAA to the program chairs of your local associations. They should be disseminating the information. 

There has been some very early discussion about creating a comprehensive manual - similar to Ohio’s Gold Book - that augments the NF Officials’ Mechanics Manual, and would be distributed to every official. It would contain these official interpretations and policies, as well as mechanics. An informal survey of the states responding (about 30 of them) shows that almost all states (28) have this type of manual. Only Indiana and Florida do not, of those responding.

Would that be something officials get behind?

Is the rule stops after scoring plays or after  change of possession ?? Reason I ask is in the game against Tell City our JV scored a touchdown and the clock kept running until the extra point was kicked then stopped, I assumed it would stop after the player crossed the end zone. 

44 minutes ago, DaveMosbey said:

Is the rule stops after scoring plays or after  change of possession ?? Reason I ask is in the game against Tell City our JV scored a touchdown and the clock kept running until the extra point was kicked then stopped, I assumed it would stop after the player crossed the end zone. 

The Indiana mercy rule has the clock run through the try and then stop. It starts again when the kickoff is KICKED. It will not stop for other changes of possession. The only other times it will stop is for team time outs and injuries.

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

No argument with anything you’ve said. Right now, directives/official interpretations go from the IHSAA to the program chairs of your local associations. They should be disseminating the information. 

There has been some very early discussion about creating a comprehensive manual - similar to Ohio’s Gold Book - that augments the NF Officials’ Mechanics Manual, and would be distributed to every official. It would contain these official interpretations and policies, as well as mechanics. An informal survey of the states responding (about 30 of them) shows that almost all states (28) have this type of manual. Only Indiana and Florida do not, of those responding.

Would that be something officials get behind?

I would definitely get behind this. There are a lot of things not well done in the national mechanics book and several other things that need local interpretation or philosophy defined. If kept simple it could be a valuable resource for officials and be another step in the right direction to get us all on the same page.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

That e-mail just went out Friday. Any game that utilizes the Mercy Rule, the crew chief is to fill out the online data collection form here: http://sgiz.mobi/s3/ea796daa4521

Looking at the addresses on the e-mail, I believe it went to the observers and the football program chairs of each association.

I’ve looked in social, promotions, inbox, and Spam, nada. 

20 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Will do. 

Also wouldn’t it make sense to add to myihsaa tab under forms?

As a fan that occasionally gets insight into the goings on of IHSAA thru this forum, it is obvious that “IHSAA” and “makes sense” do not belong in the same sentence. 😂😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JustRules said:

The Indiana mercy rule has the clock run through the try and then stop. It starts again when the kickoff is KICKED. It will not stop for other changes of possession. The only other times it will stop is for team time outs and injuries.

I would definitely get behind this. There are a lot of things not well done in the national mechanics book and several other things that need local interpretation or philosophy defined. If kept simple it could be a valuable resource for officials and be another step in the right direction to get us all on the same page.

Here is the state Mercy Rule.

Rules and Procedures

1. Beginning with the second half of any high school football game, when the point differential between teams is at or reaches 35 points, the game clock shall convert to a running clock.  A running clock is defined as a clock that does not stop during play with the exception of timeouts, scores and/or injuries.

2. Once the running clock is implemented, the clock may not revert back to standard timing protocols regardless of the score of the contest.

3. The 40 second play clock shall remain in effect throughout the contest.

4. Coaches do not have the ability to override the implementation of the Mercy Rule during a contest.    The Referee shall notify the head coach of each school when the Mercy Rule goes into effect.  The home team is responsible for notifying timing personnel of the running clock

The IHSAA doesn't invest enough time and energy into their officiating program. I feel they appreciate us and support us, but since they don't have dedicated staff to us, it's hard to give us the attention that's probably required to be effective. They are all good people with a lot of work to do, but until they dedicate someone full time to managing the officiating program things like this will happen. Officials in every state complain about how they are treated by their state association and many of them have dedicated staff to officiating so maybe it wouldn't be any different.

• Haha 1

The problems with timing under the Mercy Rule  I’m hearing about most are easily fixable. But one thing I’ve noticed is that when you ask the crew chief if he went over the Mercy Rule timing procedures with the clock operator prior to the game, he didn’t. Curiously, that’s true even though they did meet with the clock operator in the pregame. I know the IHSAA put together a very clear guide on how the Mercy Rule is implemented, and sent it to every school. But don’t assume the clock operator from your game got it, or read it, or understood it. Make that part of your pregame meeting on timing procedures.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

The problems with timing under the Mercy Rule  I’m hearing about most are easily fixable. But one thing I’ve noticed is that when you ask the crew chief if he went over the Mercy Rule timing procedures with the clock operator prior to the game, he didn’t. Curiously, that’s true even though they did meet with the clock operator in the pregame. I know the IHSAA put together a very clear guide on how the Mercy Rule is implemented, and sent it to every school. But don’t assume the clock operator from your game got it, or read it, or understood it. Make that part of your pregame meeting on timing procedures.

We have gone over the mercy rule with both clock operators, as well as leaving them a paper copy.