Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

It was a horrible start for the CIC on the opening Friday night with only Alex and Mississinewa coming away with wins in apparently nail-biting fashion.

I think some questions were answered though and here are some predictions/thoughts moving forward:

Elwood and Frankton will battle each other later this season in the American Standard Toilet Bowl to see who will finish the season with 1 W.  Frankton's OL/DL was whipped by 175 lbs Tri-Central kids, that might spell disaster for my Eagles.

MG is much improved, they went and played at Tipton and hung in there with Blue Devils.  I just hope losing the Lugar kid doesn't set them back a few Ws?

Mississinewa is the clearer choice to win the CIC outright, Eastbrook is a great 2A team but I think the gap between #1 and #2 is wider than we previously thought.

Is Wes-Del actually good?  I expected Alexandria to win by at least 4 touchdowns at home, especially with all of the hype behind their offensive firepower.  18-16 over Wes-Del?

I know Monroe Central is a good 1A team but I expected Blackford to take care of business on the road, the Bruins are supposed to be the CIC's most improved team.

Perhaps Greentown is going to be pretty good this year, pretty shocked that OH could only muster one TD at the Comets.

Let's hope the CIC fares better in week 2:

Alex @ Wabash

Eastbrook @ Delta

Eastern @ MG

Frankton @ Lapel

New Haven @ Mississinewa

Southern Wells @ Blackford

Southwood @ OH

Tipton @ Elwood

I see 4 Losses here.

Ole Miss is good but i wouldn't say they are clear favorites to win. Eastbrook handled Marion a lot better than i thought they would, that Marion team is FAST!!!!! and Eastbrook was only down 14-7 at half. This week against Delta will be test for Eastbrook, saw some film on Delta and they look a lot better than last year or Muncie Central is that bad. Was very shocked when we heard the half time score of MG and Tipton! 

• Like 2

MG was a lot more physical than they were a year ago. Tipton lost 17 starters and are playing mostly Juniors and sophomores a freshman. MG is a team you have to get a lead on early because they just eat the clock on offense. Never throw a pass and 3-4 yards a pop, while taking the playclock down. Took my young Blue Devils a while to get in an offensive rhythm. I like what the MG coach is doing. They will keep getting better in my opinion. You can tell their kids like playing for him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, franktonite said:

It was a horrible start for the CIC on the opening Friday night with only Alex and Mississinewa coming away with wins in apparently nail-biting fashion.

I think some questions were answered though and here are some predictions/thoughts moving forward:

Elwood and Frankton will battle each other later this season in the American Standard Toilet Bowl to see who will finish the season with 1 W.  Frankton's OL/DL was whipped by 175 lbs Tri-Central kids, that might spell disaster for my Eagles.

Frankton has a very good team. They are physical, athletic, strong and extremely well coached. I wouldn't throw hope away over one game. Maybe Tri-Central isn't as bad as some thought? Maybe they didn't show much in the scrimmage for a reason and maybe MG is much better than everyone thought. Let's remember they are kids and anything can happen from week to week because they are kids. Sometimes it takes a while for teams to figure things out and get it going in the right direction. The goal is to build through the season, compete for ur conference and try to stay healthy and be playing ur best at playoff time. I think the CIC and it's teams are going to be fine just give it time. Just my thoughts and opinions hopefully I didn't upset any of you with my thoughts and if I did I am sorry.

Mississinewa won at Pendleton Heights even though they only ran 5 plays the entire first half.  They never threw a pass.  Pendleton is a very well coached team and not a push over.  Next up is New Haven which should be improved from last year.

Marion is fast and Eastbrook did keep them in check but had trouble defending the pass.  Eastbrook's run defense was good but did allow 2 big runs of 61 and 62 yards that both went for TD's.  Eastbrook will have another test this week with Delta. Eastbrook is not a push over team and will still challenge Mississinewa with their speed and run defense.  

Blackford surprisingly lost.  I thought Blackford would handle Monroe Central.  Perhaps Blackford isn't as good this year as last year.  This week will tell.

MG is the sleeper in the CIC.  They have some size on the line.  They are going to shock somebody in the CIC.

Frankton has a better team that what played this past week.  They have to figure things out if they want to stay out of the cellar of the CIC.

Alex should have beat Wes-Del by however much they wanted.  But then again maybe Wes-Del has improved and is better than what we think.  If Alex doesn't figure something out they will finish just about Elwood.

Elwood is going to take some time to figure things out.  They have to get the feel for the new coach's system.  However nobody should take them for granted or they will sneak up and surprise some one.

I have two takeaways from watching the Panthers matchup with Lapel last week:

1) If they can figure out how to get the offensive line to work cohesively as a unit, the offense will be serviceable. It looks like Elwood wants to be a pass-first team, but the QB had about 2-3 seconds to get a throw off the majority of the time. I think they have some decent weapons that could be used in the passing game, but again, they have to be able to give the QB time to get the throw to the correct receiver.

2) The defense has a lot of work to do, specifically in the secondary. There were a lot of wide open receivers Friday and Lapel was able to pick them apart. Also, there were times where the QB or RB should have been taken down in the backfield, but the defense didn't breakdown or execute the tackle. Making adjustments on these fixable mistakes for a young team will be paramount and I'm hoping that there will be a difference in the defense over time.

I don't have a grasp on the roster as a whole, but I think they are pretty young overall and I look for them to progress as the season goes on. Adapting to the new coach will be a long process, but I think if they give him time, Coach Brown will get them moving in the right direction. That's the perception I'm getting from talking to others, but you can't have a new coach/staff on a short leash. Have to let them develop and build a culture.

• Like 1

Alex @ Wabash - I was really shocked by the score last week with Wes Del, really expected them to win easily but maybe Wes del is improved. They have a good quarterback and a good offense so I look for the Tigers to get back on track and take care of Wabash this week.

Eastbrook @ Delta - Sounds like Eastbrook played Marion pretty well for the most part considering how fast and athletic that team is. I believe Eastbrook will be more of a threat to Ole Miss for the conference then some people may think especially when you give them time to gel as the season progresses. I think it’ll be a tight game but give me the Panthers in a close one! 

Eastern @ MG - Really like what I saw from MG a week ago! It’s nice to see the program improving and trying to get the program back to what it used to be! MG has a good staff in place it seems and you can really tell the kids are bought in. The loss of Lugar will be tough but I  believe they have enough to get it done this week.  MG will surprise teams this year give me the Argylls by 7. 

New Haven @ Mississinewa - I’ll take Ole Miss in this one! Sounds like they are loaded again this year. Campbell boys will be hard to stop in conference play. 

Southern Wells @ Blackford - Time will tell on how good Blackford really is! I believe they are still a top 3 team in the conference but we will see. Blackford by a touchdown. 

Tipton @ Elwood - Tipton big in this one! 

Frankton @ Lapel - Lapel has a really good quarterback that ends up being to much for the eagles! Lapel easily. 

Southwood @ OH - Haven’t heard much about Southwood this year so I’ll stick with the cic team and go with OH this week!

• Like 1

Alex @ Wabash--Wabash had a good team a few years ago but not so much now.  Alex either really looked past Wes-Del or Wes-Del is much improved.  Alex had a wake up call last week and may really show what they have this week against Wabash.  Wabash could surprise Alex but in the end Alex pulls out the win to enter CIC play 2-0.

Eastbrook @ Delta--Delta is another tough game for Eastbrook.  Delta thumped Muncie Central last week and shut them out.  This week Eastbrook comes to visit with a very quick offense.  Eastbrook will not be shut out this week.  Second week in a row that they play a 4A team.  It is possible that Eastbrook enters CIC play 0-2.  Delta is #19 in this weeks 4A IFCA poll.  Eastbrook fell to #3 in 2A.  In the end Eastbrook pulls out the win in a nail biter to enter CIC play 1-1.

Eastern @ MG--Eastern beat Oak Hill last week.  MG gave Tipton all they could handle.  This week Eastern has another CIC team to contend with.  Could this be an introduction to the CIC for Eastern as they are rumored to be the next team invited should someone leave?  In the end MG pulls out a victory and shows that they are not going to have to wait until the end of the season get their first win of the season. 

Frankton @ Lapel--Two schools of the same school district.  Lapel plays their second CIC team in a row.  This could be their introduction to the CIC play like Eastern.  Frankton has a lot of work to do this week if they want to challenge Lapel.  Lapel wins this one and Frankton will have to wait a few more weeks before they can claim their first victory of the season.

New Haven @ Mississinewa--Mississinewa pulled out the win last week despite running only 5 offensive plays the entire first half.  Mississinewa never threw a pass last week.  That just leaves the question as to how good is Mississinewa?  They moved up to #6 in the IFCA 4A poll.  They did receive 1 first place vote in the preseason poll.  New Haven is still trying to figure out the current coach's system.  This is supposed to be the last meeting of these two schools with Mississinewa replacing New Haven with Marion next year.  Mississinewa wins this one big.  The Campbell boys run all over New Haven and Mississinewa still may not throw a pass this week.  Mississinewa enters CIC play 2-0 and a top 5 ranking.

Southern Wells @ Blackford--Blackford was a disappointment last week.  Southern Wells didn't fair to well against Fremont, Blackford's former week 1 opponent the last few years.  Blackford figures out what was wrong last week and pulls out the victory to enter CIC play 1-1.

Southwood @ OH--OH lost to Eastern last week while Southwood pulled out a close one against Maconaquah.  This is another neighborly game between two schools that have kids living across the street from each other.  Oak Hill is out to prove that they figured things out this week in practice.  Oak Hill pulls out a close one to enter CIC play 1-1.

Tipton @ Elwood--Elwood has some talent but very young with a new coach.  Tipton had their hands full with MG last week.  Tipton may be young but is just too much for Elwood.  Tipton wins by however much they want. 

I wouldn't go handing out the CIC trophy just yet. 

Much being read into 2 games against Marion and Pendleton Heights here.  Here's my two cents.

I was at the Marion-Eastbrook game.  To me, Marion looked like they are every bit of a top-five 4A squad.  I knew this would be a tough game for Eastbrook given the turnover they experienced from last season's state finalist squad but I was fairly impressed with how they held up given the circumstances.  They could go back to the 2A state championship game this year and not see any team with the amount of speed they saw at Marion.  Yet they hung in throughout the first half, and rallied a bit late in the game after a couple of big defensive breakdowns had given Marion control of the game.  One thing that impressed me was that they played the whole game without having a penalty enforced against them (only one called that ended up being declined if memory serves).  Coming into the game with so many players participating in their first varsity start against a top team in a larger class, I figured I would see laundry early and often all over the field.  That was not the case.  Eastbrook did struggle with Marion's speed on both sides of the ball.  On offense, the Panthers were able to move the ball on the ground but could not break away for a big play all night.  Their running game seemed to get a few yards a carry but there weren't any big runs of the 20+ yard variety, or perhaps even of the 10+ yard variety.  There were a couple of pass plays that were open and they just missed which could've changed the game if they had been able to hit them.  On defense, Eastbrook competed well most of the game but you have to give Marion credit.  They are very tough to defend.  Eastbrook started some young linebackers who found themselves out of position on a couple of plays that ended up as long Marion touchdowns.  Those plays are learning experiences for young players.  In another game, they probably cost them first downs instead of touchdowns.  Marion had the speed to exploit those to their fullest.  Either way, if the linebackers learn from those plays, and I'm betting it's been pointed out to them in the film room, that makes them a better team the rest of the season.

As for the Pendleton Heights game, I did not get the benefit of seeing it.  However, I do have family in that school and they told me that Pendleton lost most of their top players from last season and did not figure they would be very good this season.  They were fairly surprised the first game was as close as it was.   I'm familiar with Coach Richman and I'm sure he'll get the most out of what he has but it doesn't look like a squad that is going to finish anywhere near the top 10 in their class.  That said, a win is a win and the Indians beat the first team on their schedule.  It's the first data-point of the season and we'll see more about what it means as the season progresses.  They are certainly big up front and should be very difficult for anyone to slow down on the ground but if they run into a team that can physically match them at the line of scrimmage or enough speed to get to the ball and gang tackle at the line of scrimmage, it could make things pretty interesting.  

Still a few weeks away from these two meeting on the field.  I think Eastbrook learns alot about itself this week against Delta.  Mississinewa looks to have an easy task on hand with a down New Haven program.  

• Like 1

Well lets see how bad I am at predictions this week!!!!!  I am relying on my old friend Jeff Sagarin this time....

Wabash over Alex by 7

Delta over Eastbrook by 7

Eastern over Madison Grant by 15

Lapel over Frankton by 28

Ole Miss over New Haven by 24

Blackford over Southern Wells by 28

Southwood over Oak Hill by 14

Tipton over Elwood by 42

Bonus

Yorktown over Muncie Central by 21

Fictional Game: Warren Central over Dugger Union by 146

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Its exciting to hear all this good news about MG. Any chance they have a chance to take that 3rd spot in the CIC? or maybe second if the young eastbrook team doesn't respond well after getting beat? Who would everybody say the best player in the CIC is? Campbell? Bragg? I don't here of many other names around the conference. @XStar is right on by saying Marion is a top 5 team in 4A, been a while since i have seen a high school team with that much speed.

• Like 1

@panther10 I think they may be about a year away from being a top 2 or 3 team but if they keep putting things together and continue to gel I truly believe they could surprise teams and compete for that 3rd spot this season! I would have to say that Campbell is the best player but I think the Bragg kid is a very good player as well. I think the Metz kid is a very good player also but haven’t heard much about any of the other teams. 

Would like to give a shout out to the Argylls for making some improvements. It’s nice that the D held Tipton under 20. The offensive scheme will continue to be the Achilles heal. Now with Lugar out Eastern will be an even tougher game. For me Marion did not look like a top four team. I was at this game. With everything Eastbrook lost and Marion’s team speed it should have been over at halftime. However a selfish QB and running back (JK) make for a cancer on the O. Could rant more about them but this is a CIC group. Eastbrook likely ends up fourth in the CIC behind ole miss, Alexandria, and Blackford however if MG can add some passing to get ALL their skilled players involved they could possibly sneak into that fourth spot. We shall see how it plays out. Coach T. I’m riding with you so make it happen. #All_IN

11 hours ago, captainobvious said:

Campbell is the best player in the conference with Isaac Justice coming in 2nd.  Not sure Bragg is even the best player on his own team.

who would you say is better? Binkered? Stephanson? the young Dalton kid looked really good also

4 hours ago, Scottish_Warrior said:

Would like to give a shout out to the Argylls for making some improvements. It’s nice that the D held Tipton under 20. The offensive scheme will continue to be the Achilles heal. Now with Lugar out Eastern will be an even tougher game. For me Marion did not look like a top four team. I was at this game. With everything Eastbrook lost and Marion’s team speed it should have been over at halftime. However a selfish QB and running back (JK) make for a cancer on the O. Could rant more about them but this is a CIC group. Eastbrook likely ends up fourth in the CIC behind ole miss, Alexandria, and Blackford however if MG can add some passing to get ALL their skilled players involved they could possibly sneak into that fourth spot. We shall see how it plays out. Coach T. I’m riding with you so make it happen. #All_IN

Eastbrook 4th? That might be a little much. I know the CIC is improving and that's great. I just don't think its improved enough, yet. but i have to admit i don't know a lot about some of the teams so maybe i will be shocked. Just going off week 1 games i don't see Eastbrook finishing 4th. 

7 hours ago, Scottish_Warrior said:

Eastbrook 4th?  Maybe 3rd but that is even doubtful.  Blackford, MG, and Alex are all improved but they all will struggle to shut down the running attack of Eastbrook.  Yes Eastbrook lost a lot of key players, but this is becoming the norm with Eastbrook.   Remember these kids practiced against all the kids lost and now that it is their chance they are taking advantage of it.  Mississinewa is getting into the same thing.  Loosing a couple of key players every year, yet still stay at the top of the CIC.  Remember Mississinewa went undefeated in 2016 and lost all but 1 offensive lineman as well as the majority of the defense yet won the Sectional in 2017.  Eastbrook lost a lot in 2015 and many said that they wouldn't do much in the post season as their sectional reign was over and they went to the State Finals in 2016.  Point is Eastbrook and Mississinewa may loose a lot each year but they don't rebuild they both reload.  Alex has had talent the last few years yet only managed to finish just above .500.  Blackford was a surprise last year and everybody said that they were going to knock off Mississinewa and Eastbrook, yet they lost back to back weeks to both of these teams by not a little but a lot.  MG is improving and they will surprise some teams this year but they are still a year or two out from being towards the top of the CIC.

• Like 2

Eastbrook will go undefeated in the conference and will make a deep run again this year.  I just don’t think there is a team in the CIC that can beat them.  I also think that Marion will play at Lucas Oil Stadium this season.  They are very good!!  I’m hoping that the Tigers can make some major improvements after last week!

1a/1b Ole Miss and Eastbrook- both well coached and both have great youth and jr.high programs to pull from. Never have issues with numbers. Both teams are 1 dimensional on offense but with their talent levels hard to stop them!

3a/3b Alexandria and Blackford- both teams have talent. I would give the edge to Alexandria on talent. With Vernetti (all-state and Metz should be all-state) you also have orick and stewart. Double team one the others burn you! Only problem for Blackford is numbers. They only have 1 jr.high team this year and that will hurt their future! 

5. Madison Grant- senior class is ok. Junior class is week and all else they have coming is Lugar! Which is playing this week! Same as Blackford only one jr.high team will hurt their future!

6. Elwood- senior class is ok. Junior class is their strongest. What can new coach bring? Same problem as above only one jr.high team will hurt their future.

7. Oak hill- needs some help! Move ins! Senior class is fair and junior class is fair. Hopefully for them they have some talent coming in jr.high...

8. Frankton- one trick pony on offense. Problem they have is little talent in each class. Hopefully they can get these kids through the year injury free! This team could easily be number 5. 5-8 are to close that injuries or move-ins could change these spots.

17 hours ago, Scottish_Warrior said:

Eastbrook likely ends up fourth in the CIC behind ole miss, Alexandria, and Blackford however if MG can add some passing to get ALL their skilled players involved they could possibly sneak into that fourth spot. We shall see how it plays out. Coach T. I’m riding with you so make it happen. #All_IN

🙄