Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Uncalled Targeting Hits

EricFeller

Question

Is it possible for a player to be suspended if an uncalled targeting called was sent to Indiana Officials association or IHSAA if it's clearly viewed on film?  Like having the player suspended for an ejection that should've been called?

Just asking because it's frustrating to have a player miss game(s) because of an injury because of this. 

Edited by EricFeller

10 answers to this question

Targeting is not an automatic ejection in high school. It has be deemed flagrant to be an ejection and those are rare. The IFOA has no authority over anything either way so sending video to them will at best get you a different opinion or supporting opinion (most likely only from the crew) that isn't any more than that. If targeting was not called the IHSAA would not consider an ejection and suspension if it wasn't called on the field. 

Thanks. I figured this was going to be the answer but wanted to explore all options. Kid clearly hits my kid with his shoulder as he leaves his feet to the shoulder/chest and helmet to helmet when my kid wasn't looking at the Returner. Refs can't see everything but frustrating nonetheless.  

56 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

On another note, as I understand it, this was played in Cincinnati. Assuming you used Indiana officials, are officials obligated to fill out reports on games played out of state?

I’m not sure what this means? They didn’t have a foul so they wouldn’t have anything to report?

11 hours ago, JustRules said:

Targeting is not an automatic ejection in high school. It has be deemed flagrant to be an ejection and those are rare. The IFOA has no authority over anything either way so sending video to them will at best get you a different opinion or supporting opinion (most likely only from the crew) that isn't any more than that. If targeting was not called the IHSAA would not consider an ejection and suspension if it wasn't called on the field. 

To expound on this, under NFHS rules, a personal foul results in ejection if the foul is “flagrant,” meaning that it carries with it a significant risk of injury. Some of the examples of “flagrant” fouls in the rule book are:

1. Illegal helmet contact against an opponent lying on the ground,

2. Illegal helmet contact against an opponent being held up by other players, and/or

3. Illegal helmet-to-helmet contact against a defenseless opponent.

Disqualification is not mandatory. It’s a judgment call.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

To expound on this, under NFHS rules, a personal foul results in ejection if the foul is “flagrant,” meaning that it carries with it a significant risk of injury. Some of the examples of “flagrant” fouls in the rule book are:

1. Illegal helmet contact against an opponent lying on the ground,

2. Illegal helmet contact against an opponent being held up by other players, and/or

3. Illegal helmet-to-helmet contact against a defenseless opponent.

Disqualification is not mandatory. It’s a judgment call.

All 100% true statements. It's going to have to be obviously flagrant or automatic before I'm going to eject a player though. They only get 9 games and to effectively take away 2 of those games is significant.

• Thanks 1