Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sullivan at Linton

Sullivan at Linton Friday.

I know, every team has its traditional rival(s). But this has to be one of the top rivalry games in the state, regardless of class. 104th? I think? meeting between these two.

FWIW, Harrell picks the Sullivan Golden Arrows, 24-17.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ts32 said:

Sullivan at Linton Friday.

I know, every team has its traditional rival(s). But this has to be one of the top rivalry games in the state, regardless of class. 104th? I think? meeting between these two.

FWIW, Harrell picks the Sullivan Golden Arrows, 24-17.

Actually, Terry,  This is the 105 game in this rivalry which I believe goes back the farthest of any series in the state.  It's my understanding that the Peru - Logansport series is the longest consecutive years running in the state but the Linton - Sullivan game first played in 1904 may be the oldest.  The game wasn't played every year in the beginning but has been played every year since 1926.so this will be the 94th consecutive year for the rivalry.  Sullivan leads the series 52 - 50 - 2.  Linton dominated in the earliest years but beginning in 1934 Sullivan dominated the Miners pretty much for the next 50 years.   In this century, Linton leads the series 14 - 5.  BTW, I have seen all but a few of the games since 1937.

Edited by kingtut
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kingtut said:

Actually, Terry,  This is the 105 game in this rivalry which I believe goes back the farthest of any series in the state.  It's my understanding that the Peru - Logansport series is the longest consecutive years running in the state but the Linton - Sullivan game first played in 1904 may be the oldest.  The game wasn't played every year in the beginning but has been played every year since 1926.so this will be the 94th consecutive year for the rivalry.  Sullivan leads the series 52 - 50 - 2.  Linton dominated in the earliest years but beginning in 1934 Sullivan dominated the Miners pretty much for the next 50 years.   In this century, Linton leads the series 14 - 5.  BTW, I have seen all but a few of the games since 1937.

Crown Point and Lowell are somewhere up there as well.

On 8/27/2019 at 2:27 PM, kingtut said:

Kingtut. You sir are a treasure. Ive been on and off this side for the last 14 seasons and I'm glad you are still doin ok and goin to games and chatting on here. 

You are the type of fan at linton fan.. That one day I wanna be for Winamac. 

• Like 3

On 8/29/2019 at 6:40 AM, LawrenceGreene said:

The lack of the sullivan faithful's participation on this site has always surprised me.  Are they still using dial up over there??

What's a computer? 😀  I agree that it's a back and forth game.  I say  Sullivan takes this one by 1 score.  Gold Pride!

21 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Speaking of Sullivan County, why do the school corporations there have such unusual and inefficient footprints?

Coal mines, farm ground, & property tax dollars 

Sullivan County Schools should all drop sports.  Most of their good athletes come to Linton these days anyway 😀

Edited by hick
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MinerPower said:

I say Linton wins this one, but I doubt they could win this game if it was at Sullivan.

I don't see home field having much of an effect on this game. As for who wins, too many uncertainties for me to pick a side, other than I lean Sullivan if close and Linton If it's lopsided. 

This group from Linton is talented enough to overwhelm teams that aren't as athletic or as physical.  Their weakness has been showing they can win close games. Bone-headed mistakes, blown coverages/assignments, turnovers, and an inability to flush the previous play have been their demise against teams that match up physically. 

On the flip side I wasn't impressed with Sullivan's run game at all vs NK. If their line play struggles again tonight it will be ugly.  I really think this game is more about Linton than the Arrows.  Do we overwhelm them with better talent? Do we beat ourselves?  Or do we start figuring how to win vs like teams? 

If this group of Miners figure out "winning" they'll have a great season and be a tough out for any 2A come tourney time.  If not...going to be a long, frustrating season. 

Sullivan's starting QB is out until next week. He is a dual threat qb and would have made a huge difference tonight. 

Sloppy play on both sides of the ball. Linton has speed that Sullivan doesn't. Once Linton started opening up their passing game in the 2nd QTR, it then opened up their running game and we had no answer. 

I was most disappointed in the Miner fans... 3 minutes prior to kickoff and your stands were lacking people! The end zone filled up nicely but still expected more fans from the "old" Miner fanbase. 

Miners 35, Arrows 12.

Huge 2nd quarter offensively for the Miners. Trey Goodman-to-Lance Dyer 45-yard TD,  Cash Howard 11-yard TD run following a sustained drive, Dyer 39-yard TD run...21-0 Miners at the half.

Three huge stops for the Red and Blue defense in the first half.

Each team put up two second-half scores for the final.

Unofficial stats: Linton - Dyer 10 carries, 118 yards, 2 TDs (one rushing, one receiving); Goodman 11-15-0, 187 yards, 2 TDs; Howard 6-33 rushing, TD runs of 11-12; Clayton Hauser 4 receptions, 72 yards; Devyn Robertson 4 receptions, 67 yards, 38-yard td; Luke Lannan 11 carries, 66 yards. Sullivan - Tristan Drake 20-34, 1 pick, 2 TDs; Kyle Vernelson 8 catches for 138; Jackson Shake 7 catches for 74, 2 TDs (8 and 13 yards).  Miners outgained Arrows on the ground 228-66.

Defense was active. Lannan two sacks, Tyler Mongeau two sacks and a fumble recovery. Really liked Lannan on the linebacker blitz deep in Sullivan territory. Arrows never saw him coming. Would have had a third sack for a safety but was flagged for a horsecollar.

Penalties - Miners overcame (I counted) 10 for roughly 130 yards; penalties negated two interceptions, a 53-yard Lannan TD run, and the aforementioned sack for a safety.

Miners needed this one. Doesn't get any easier with Monrovia, North Vermillion and Boonville coming up.

Edited by ts32

1 hour ago, ts32 said:

Miners 35, Arrows 12.

Huge 2nd quarter offensively for the Miners. Trey Goodman-to-Lance Dyer 45-yard TD,  Cash Howard 11-yard TD run following a sustained drive, Dyer 39-yard TD run...21-0 Miners at the half.

Three huge stops for the Red and Blue defense in the first half.

Each team put up two second-half scores for the final.

Unofficial stats: Linton - Dyer 10 carries, 118 yards, 2 TDs (one rushing, one receiving); Goodman 11-15-0, 187 yards, 2 TDs; Howard 6-33 rushing, TD runs of 11-12; Clayton Hauser 4 receptions, 72 yards; Devyn Robertson 4 receptions, 67 yards, 38-yard td; Luke Lannan 11 carries, 66 yards. Sullivan - Tristan Drake 20-34, 253 yards, 1 pick, 2 TDs; Kyle Vernelson 8 catches for 138; Jackson Shake 7 catches for 74, 2 TDs (8 and 13 yards).  Miners outgained Arrows on the ground 228-66.

Defense was active. Lannan two sacks, Tyler Mongeau two sacks and a fumble recovery. Really liked Lannan on the linebacker blitz deep in Sullivan territory. Arrows never saw him coming. Would have had a third sack for a safety but was flagged for a horsecollar.

Penalties - Miners overcame (I counted) 10 for roughly 130 yards; penalties negated two interceptions, a 53-yard Lannan TD run, and the aforementioned sack for a safety.

Miners needed this one. Doesn't get any easier with Monrovia, North Vermillion and Boonville coming up.

Edited by ts32
Edited to add Drake's passing yards