Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IFCA Week 2 Coaches Poll

attached 

2019 Indiana Football Coaches Association Coaches Poll (Week 2)

6A

1 Warren Central (9) 1-0 99

2 Brownsburg (1) 1-0 85

3 Avon 1-0 75

4 Carmel 0-1 63

5 Center Grove 0-1 52

6 FW Snider 1-0 35

7 Lafayette Jeff 1-0 33

8 Columbus East 1-0 27

9 Ben Davis 0-1 25

10 Fishers 1+0 19

Others receiving votes: Carroll {Allen} 1-0 (12), Lawrence North 1-0 (11), Westfield 1-0 (9), Hamilton Southeastern 1-0 (5), Penn 0-1 (2)

5A 

1 New Palestine (10) 1-0 100

2 Indpls Cathedral 1-0 86

3 FW Dwenger 1-0 74

4 Michigan City 1-0 69

5 Valparaiso 1-0 63

6 Bloomington South 1-0 49

7 Mishawaka 1-0 31

8 Decatur Central 0-1 29

9 Concord 1-0 15

10 Whiteland 0-1 10

Others receiving votes: Castle 0-1 (8), Elkhart Central 1-0 (8), Harrison 0-1 (4), TH South 1-0 (4), Plainfield 1-0 (2)

4A 

1 Marion (7) 1-0 89

2 Mooresville (1) 1-0 85

3 New Prairie (1) 1-0 67

4 East Central (1) 1-0 63 

5 NorthWood 1-0 46

6 Mississnewa 1-0 41

7 Lowell 1-0 30

8 Evansville Memorial 1-0 19

9 Evansville Central 0-1 18

10 East Noble 1-0 16

Others receiving votes: Angola (14) 0-1, Martinsville (11) 1-0, Culver Academies (10) 1-0, I. Roncalli (8) 0-1, Ev. Reitz (7) 0-1, FW Wayne (7 0-1, Northridge (7) 1-0, Northview (7) 0-1, Delta (2) 1-0 2019

3A

1 Indpls Chatard (9) 1-0 99

2 West Lafayette 0-1 82

3 Gibson Southern (1) 1-0 79

4 Guerin Catholic 1-0 55

5 Heritage Hills 1-0 47

6 Brownstown Central 1-0 45

7 Indpls Brebeuf 0-1 35 

8 FW Concordia 1-0 32

9 Mishawaka Marian 1-0 30

10 Indpls Ritter 1-0 22

Others receiving votes: Vincennes Lincoln (13) 1-0, Greencastle (7) 1-0, Jimtown (2) 0-1, Tri-West (1) 1-0, Calumet (1) 1-0

2A

1 Western Boone (10) 1-0 100

2 Indpls Scecina 1-0 88

3 Eastbrook 0-1 70

4 Evansville Mater Dei 1-0 56

5 Triton Central 1+0 41

6 Lewis Cass 1-0 35

7 FW Luers 0-1 34

Rensslaer Central 1-0 34

9 Andrean 0-1 28

10 Tipton 1-0 19

Others receiving votes: Shenandoah (13) 0-1, Pioneer (12) 0-1, Lapel (9) 1-0, Bremen (8) 0-1, LaVille (4) 1-0, Whiting (4) 1-0, Providence (2) 1-0, Heritage Christian (2) 1-0, Woodlan (1) 0-1

1A

1 Indpls Lutheran (6) 1-0 88

2 South Adams (2) 1-0 84

3 North Vermillion (1) 1-0 82

4 Adams Central (1) 1-0 77

5 Monroe Central 1-0 59

6 Churubusco 1-0 52

7 Southwood 1-0 42

8 Parke Heritage 1-0 23

9 West Washington 1-0 22

10 Lafayette CC 0-1 8

Others receiving votes: Knightstown (6) 1-0, Milan (4) 1-0, Attica (1) 1-0, North Miami (1) 1-0

2019 IFCA COACHES POLL Week 2.pdf

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Clinton Central Bulldogs deserve a vote or two in 1A.  After all they did defeat a 4A school in their season opener.

Stirs Pot

7 minutes ago, Warriorfan said:

They defeated a 3-28 team over the last three years who they beat the year before as well.

You have to know Muda well enough to know he's a HUGE proponent of Frankfort being a 4a school (insert tongue in cheek)

• Haha 1

Streamed the CG/Warren game while I was sitting at the BD/Brownsburg game and based on what I saw, Brownsburg was the top 6A team on Friday night.

Splitting hairs, but my two cents.

6a......................Carroll at #11 but no votes for Homestead. Carroll's 42-0 pasting of Luers was an eye opener, I get it, but watch out for Homestead this year. 

5a......................Michigan City over Valpo? Michigan City is good, but I think Valpo fits somewhere in the Top 3. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Is this the first IFCA poll that there are no disagreements on?  

Some say it just might be 

I guess my main disagreement is with the 2 A class.  Tipton has no business even being on the list after their performance Friday night.  Having trouble with Madison Grant and then scheduling Elwood next week, doesn’t warrant being ranked at all, let alone #10.  JMO.

Edited by captainobvious

2 minutes ago, captainobvious said:

I guess my main disagreement is with the 2 A class.  Tipton has no business even being on the list after their performance Friday night.  Having trouble with Madison Grant and then scheduling Elwood next week, doesn’t warrant being ranked at all, let alone #10.  JMO.

A win is a win my friend. I don’t know too much about the 2A/1A schools though. 

13 hours ago, Moshiner1345 said:

You have to know Muda well enough to know he's a HUGE proponent of Frankfort being a 4a school (insert tongue in cheek)

A prime example of the fallacy that the bigger the school the more potent the athletic programs should be, and the fallacy of the IHSAA's primarily enrollment based classification system.   As I have stated before Frankfort is a "4A" school with an at best "2A" sized athletic talent base.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

A prime example of the fallacy that the bigger the school the more potent the athletic programs should be, and the fallacy of the IHSAA's primarily enrollment based classification system.   As I have stated before Frankfort is a "4A" school with an at best "2A" sized athletic talent base.

So what is wrong with a kid who is born in Frankfort? How is it that they are shorter, weaker, and slower than a kid born anywhere else? A football program can be built anywhere. If a football team stinks, you can't blame the kids. It all starts at the top. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

So what is wrong with a kid who is born in Frankfort? How is it that they are shorter, weaker, and slower than a kid born anywhere else? A football program can be built anywhere. If a football team stinks, you can't blame the kids. It all starts at the top. 

I think it is the agricultural runoff from off the surrounding farms and livestock barns getting into the Frankfort city water system.   It seems the average lineman most years in the FHS varsity program is 5'10", 185lbs.   This and the socioeconomic factors of the community mean many "omg! Athletes!" don't participate in sports or if they do they play soccer.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BTF said:

It's socioeconomics. Frankfort has a high transient and high lower-income population. Sports really aren't on the priority list for a lot of parents, so the kids are not as likely to participate (and those who do aren't as likely to play on high-level travel teams from the moment they start walking like kids in suburban communities do). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

It's socioeconomics. Frankfort has a high transient and high lower-income population. Sports really aren't on the priority list for a lot of parents, so the kids are not as likely to participate (and those who do aren't as likely to play on high-level travel teams from the moment they start walking like kids in suburban communities do). 

Agreed.  Compare/contrast this:  https://compass.doe.in.gov/dashboard/overview.aspx?type=school&id=0997  to this: https://compass.doe.in.gov/dashboard/overview.aspx?type=school&id=2565

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

How was Frankfort different in 2001 when they went 10-3? A lucky run on talent? It looks like Brett Colby had a few teams that were pretty competitive. 

Yes, a "lucky run", "once in a decade public school talent pool", etc.  All of those were factors.    Mr. Colby's "wing-t in a phonebooth" style of offense was a also a significant wrinkle a lot of opposing teams had not had to deal with before.  Of course this style was of diminishing returns as opposing coached figured out ways to counter it and the talent pool slipped, hastening Mr. Colby's move to Kokomo High School.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:22 AM, BTF said:

How was Frankfort different in 2001 when they went 10-3? A lucky run on talent? It looks like Brett Colby had a few teams that were pretty competitive. 

Also time for a generation of community change. Over the last 18 years, we've seen a generation of graduates leave smaller rural towns & rural county seats for larger cities/suburbs. Frankfort has seen about 5 percent population decline in that time. It also has a growing immigrant population (where football isn't as likely to be part of the culture). It's a big issue not just in Frankfort, but in a *lot* of rural county seats. 

3 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Also time for a generation of community change. Over the last 18 years, we've seen a generation of graduates leave smaller rural towns & rural county seats for larger cities/suburbs. Frankfort has seen about 5 percent population decline in that time. It also has a growing immigrant population (where football isn't as likely to be part of the culture). It's a big issue not just in Frankfort, but in a *lot* of rural county seats. 

While towns/communities like New Palestine reap the 'benefits' of being in the path of the ever growing Indianapolis donut county urban sprawl.

18 hours ago, Muda69 said:

While towns/communities like New Palestine reap the 'benefits' of being in the path of the ever growing Indianapolis donut county urban sprawl.

Why does your word benefits get special treatment?  Seeking explanation, not argument.  

Frankfort is a tremendously difficult place to teach and it had very little to do with the minority children.  Some of the children have been blamed for keeping Frankfort in 4A and not playing football (maybe not playing well enough?), but the roster is full of names that I would associate with a home that speaks Spanish.  

33 minutes ago, Robert said:

Why does your word benefits get special treatment?  Seeking explanation, not argument.  

Because I personally find the benefits of living in a suburban sprawl a bit dubious.  I did it once for 8+ years and couldn't wait to get out.

34 minutes ago, Robert said:

Frankfort is a tremendously difficult place to teach and it had very little to do with the minority children.  Some of the children have been blamed for keeping Frankfort in 4A and not playing football (maybe not playing well enough?), but the roster is full of names that I would associate with a home that speaks Spanish.  

Then IYHO why is Frankfort a tremendously difficult place to teach?  

19 hours ago, Muda69 said:

I prefer to use the word "growth" rather than sprawl. The majority of Americans prefer to live in suburbs for a reason. We get the benefits of community  - the feeling of being a part of a small town - while also being close to jobs. Indianapolis and Central Indiana's growth will certainly affect the donut county schools, and it should. New Palestine is actually the smallest public high school bordering Marion County (with the exception of Triton Central, but that is because Shelby County refuses to approve any new housing developments). 

New Palestine "benefits" by having good schools, a good community and, most of all, a great location. Our community's makeup, socioeconomics and development are similar to Center Grove (although CG is about 15 years ahead of us on the development arc) ... which is likely why there is so much mutual respect between the two communities and the two football programs. Property values are significantly higher here than in every school district that borders us *and* there's a building boom that will likely push NP into 5A by enrollment within the next few years. 

3 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

I prefer to use the word "growth" rather than sprawl. The majority of Americans prefer to live in suburbs for a reason. We get the benefits of community  - the feeling of being a part of a small town - while also being close to jobs. Indianapolis and Central Indiana's growth will certainly affect the donut county schools, and it should. New Palestine is actually the smallest public high school bordering Marion County (with the exception of Triton Central, but that is because Shelby County refuses to approve any new housing developments). 

Hmm. I wouldn't classify sprawl areas like Brownsburg, Zionsville, Carmel, Westfield,  Avon, Greenwood, etc. as 'small town' in any way, shape or form.    I remember driving through Westfield on US31 on my way to/from college in the mid-late 1980's.  Then it was a small town, not anymore.    And I fear New Palestine is on that path.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:28 AM, Muda69 said:

Yes, a "lucky run", "once in a decade public school talent pool", etc.  All of those were factors.    Mr. Colby's "wing-t in a phonebooth" style of offense was a also a significant wrinkle a lot of opposing teams had not had to deal with before.  Of course this style was of diminishing returns as opposing coached figured out ways to counter it and the talent pool slipped, hastening Mr. Colby's move to Kokomo High School.

I can't speak of the talent pool slipping, but Coach Colby had tremendous success at Kokomo. So to suggest that opposing coaches "figured it out" his offense is absolutely foolish. 

23 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

It's a big issue not just in Frankfort, but in a *lot* of rural county seats. 

With the exception of driving through Frankfort a handful of times, I don't know much about it. So I don't know the issues Frankfort deals with. However, to suggest rural areas can't compete is simply untrue. Since Frankfort is a 4A school, let's stay in the 4A class and look at this weeks polls. I don't think most would consider Marion, East Central, New Prairie, Northwood, Mississnewa big city/suburb schools. Not to mention the ton of schools that are either competitive or at least cycle through up and down years. Can socioeconomics play a factor? Of course! Do larger cities have a bigger pool of talent? Sure!  Even so, I believe nearly every school is capable of being competitive or at least having a respectable program that may go through cycles occasionally.   

4 minutes ago, coachhagan22 said:

I can't speak of the talent pool slipping, but Coach Colby had tremendous success at Kokomo. So to suggest that opposing coaches "figured it out" his offense is absolutely foolish. 

So you don't believe defensive coaches can "figure out" an opposing offensive scheme?   If you play the same school every year and and every year they run the same offense don't opposing defensive coaches pick up on certain tendencies and can "coach up" the defense to recognize those tendencies? That is all I was positing.

But in the end it is the Jimmy's and Joe's who trump the X's & O's.    If you don't have the athletes to run your particular offensive or defensive scheme then you are most likely in trouble.