Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Northern Indiana Teams of the Week

Guest DT

I will try to step in and help fill the representation gap for Northern Indiana football followers on this forum.

I will hilight one team from each Northern Indiana Geographic sector (Northwest-North Central-Northeast)  That is , until I lose interest or someone else decides to do it better.  LOL!

Here we go.  DTs Week 1 Northern Indiana Teams of the Week :

Northwest Indiana

Got to go with Valparaiso.  The Vikes hosted long time nemesis Penn and really took the Kingsmen to the woodshed in a 34-14 thumping in front of the home crowd.  VHS has really taken off since Bill Marshall took over amidst all the shenanigans and hullabaloo that took place with the coaching situation after the departure of Dave Coyle.  Further icing on the cake for Valpo is the Vikes new found status in Class 5A.  This team is a real state championship threat out of the north.  And great uniforms to boot, thanks to alum Jef Samarzija's deep pockets.  Valpo travels to 4A Griffith this week. 

North Central Indiana

Going with Elkhart Central here,  in a very tight nod over New Prairie, following the Blue Blazers 41-21 win over city rival Memorial.  The future is looking brighter at EC, long in the shadow of Penn and Mishawaka in the NIC.  Consolidation will push EC over 3000 students, and now is the time for athletic planners to reboot this program and position it for future success.  Josh Shattucks team should be 4-0 before running in to St Joe and Mishawaka in weeks 5 and 6.  

Northeast Indiana 

Carroll (Fort Wayne)

Yes, it was 6A vs 2A, but still Carroll vs Luers, and the Chargers smoked the Knights 42-0 in last weeks opener.  Maybe Carroll is finally starting to act like a big guy in this conference and start to make a move up the pecking order.  I've always thought Carroll to be a bit of a sleeping giant.  Homestead has sucked all the oxygen out of the room between the two schools since they joined the SAC together.  Doug Dinan has a nice program at Carroll, 67-36 over 10 years, very solid.  The Chargers will know if they are ready for prime time this week when they travel to conference heavyweight Snider.  Huge test and a possible program changer for Dinan's team

Now, to make this more interesting and engaging for the readers, YOU pick one of the 3 above as the Northern Indiana Team of the Week.  

For week 1 , I will go with Valpo and their impressive win over Penn.

Edited by DT

3 hours ago, DT said:

I will try to step in and help fill the representation gap for Northern Indiana football followers on this forum

There isn't a representation gap. Northern Indiana football followers are naturally contracting.

• Haha 3
  • Disdain 1

Valparaiso is my team of the week. When was the last time Penn got thumped by 20 from a team similar or smaller in enrollment? It looks like you have to go back to 2009 when they lost to Mishawaka by 16. Valpo is the real deal!

We've been hearing Carroll is ready to take the next step for how many years now? Haven't finished better than 4th in the SAC since they've joined.  I believe last weeks showing was more of a bad Luers team than good Carroll team. This Friday.....Snider 35 Carroll 17

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Valparaiso is my team of the week. When was the last time Penn got thumped by 20 from a team similar or smaller in enrollment? It looks like you have to go back to 2009 when they lost to Mishawaka by 16. Valpo is the real deal!

The answer is the last time they played.  Valpo knocked Penn out in the sectional championship game last year 21-0 at Penn.  In back to back games Valpo has beat Penn by a combined score of 55-14!

The game of the regular season will be in week 4 when Michigan City visits Valparaiso.

Lest we never forget, Cass did beat the mighty Pioneer juggernaut, and since they're both north on 96th Street in Indianapolis, they qualify as northern.  Furthermore, Lafayette Jeff did vanquish their fellow Tippecanoe brethren in a basketball-like school of 74-66.  Lastly, 1A power Southwood did beat Muda69's Maconaquah Braves 17-20 for your upset special. 

Play like a champion.

Cooper Jones and that Defense for the Vikings is the TRUTH!!!    

18 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Lest we never forget, Cass did beat the mighty Pioneer juggernaut, and since they're both north on 96th Street in Indianapolis, they qualify as northern.  Furthermore, Lafayette Jeff did vanquish their fellow Tippecanoe brethren in a basketball-like school of 74-66.  Lastly, 1A power Southwood did beat Muda69's Maconaquah Braves 17-20 for your upset special. 

Play like a champion.

Coach Jeff Phillips earned the Colts Coach of the Week.    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Cooper Jones and that Defense for the Vikings is the TRUTH!!!    

Coach Jeff Phillips earned the Colts Coach of the Week.    

Pulling for the Irish to land this young man.

54 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Play like a champion.

A true Hoosier Yankee would never consider 96th St in Indy as anywhere approximating northern Indiana.

For the purposes of this exercise, I have drawn an imaginary line from Lafayette to Kokomo to the far south suburbs of Ft Wayne.  This is "my" northern Indiana.

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Play like a champion.

That wasn't an upset.  Maconaquah was, is, and ever will be a basketball-first school.

9 minutes ago, DT said:

A true Hoosier Yankee would never consider 96th St in Indy as anywhere approximating northern Indiana.

For the purposes of this exercise, I have drawn an imaginary line from Lafayette to Kokomo to the far south suburbs of Ft Wayne.  This is "my" northern Indiana.

Sorry DT, no way is Frankfort, or Clinton county for that matter, to considered to be in the southern Indiana.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DT said:

That's still a bit north. That line should be about 900 S in Adams County reaching the 700 E (State Line) everything south of there is EC to Southern Indiana for the NE section of the state.

9 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

That wasn't an upset.  Maconaquah was, is, and ever will be a basketball-first school.

Sorry DT, no way is Frankfort, or Clinton county for that matter, to considered to be in the southern Indiana.

Edited by Gipper
incorrect.

8 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

That's still a bit north. That line should be about 900 S in Adams County reaching the 700 E (State Line) everything south of there is EC to Southern Indiana for the NE section of the state.

This argument will never will be settled--believe what you will...

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Play like a champion.

Not an upset at all. Southwood brought back 6 offensive starters and 5 defensive starters from an 11 win team. 

Edited by TRCJunkie
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Isn't Southwood the school where all the 'omg! athletes" end up at in Wabash county?

Aren't many of them....but relatively speaking they have had more than their fair share recently in comparison to the county/conference schools. 

13 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

Good question. Lord knows we could read another thread about where the boundaries of the  "Region" actually are 😂

I'll ponce on that one.  It could be the Newton/Lake County line extending eastward to St. Joseph County.  Or maybe at US 30 and all the way through Porter County.   Nevertheless, it ends at Lake Michigan and the Illinois and Michigan stare lines.

40 minutes ago, johnny U said:

Is there no such area as Central Indiana anymore?

"In Central Indiana, we drive Chevy"

Edited by Gipper

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

They are central indiana

We northerners break the state into 3 sections.   We think logically and rationally up here.  

Northern

Central

Southern

Every school in the state can fit into one of those descriptors

Edited by DT