Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Northern Indiana Teams of the Week

Guest DT

5 hours ago, slicer28 said:

The answer is the last time they played.  Valpo knocked Penn out in the sectional championship game last year 21-0 at Penn.  In back to back games Valpo has beat Penn by a combined score of 55-14!

The game of the regular season will be in week 4 when Michigan City visits Valparaiso.

How much better is Michigan City this year than last?

6 hours ago, TRCJunkie said:

We've been hearing Carroll is ready to take the next step for how many years now? Haven't finished better than 4th in the SAC since they've joined.  I believe last weeks showing was more of a bad Luers team than good Carroll team. This Friday.....Snider 35 Carroll 17

The Carroll district of Fort Wayne is still exploding. All of the growth is to the north side of the city. I could see one day, maybe 10 years from now, when Carroll could be mentioned with the likes of Brownsburg, Avon, Carmel, ect. But they aren't ready for that just yet. For now and the foreseeable  future, Snider and Dwenger will continue to own Fort Wayne. They have built programs that have sustained decades of success and their isn't any sign of a slowdown for either program. For those of you who don't know, Russ Isaacs still plays a major role at Snider as an assistant for Coach Tippmann.  And Jason Garrett of Dwenger won a state championship in his first season.  A Dwenger guy to the core. Both programs looked ridiculously good last week for it being the first week of the season.

Carroll's victory against Luers, on paper, is quite impressive. No one expected them to paste them 42-0. But Luers isn't the same program they were when Kyle's father, Matt, was at the helm. I'm not saying Carroll can't beat Snider, it's just more than likely not going to happen if Snider brings their A game. For those of you who aren't from Fort Wayne, keep an eye on Homestead. That's the team that could be capable of overthrowing Snider and Dwenger this year. 

• Like 1

I think Offensively, Michigan City probably a tick behind last year because of QB loss, but they have a STUD at RB who could play some QB.    

Big loss for MC will be the DL and LB corps from last year.   They will be a tough out no doubt.   Valpo on paper probably has the edge.;  Those 2 teams I bet see each other 2 times this year 

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

How much better is Michigan City this year than last?

The Carroll district of Fort Wayne is still exploding. All of the growth is to the north side of the city. I could see one day, maybe 10 years from now, when Carroll could be mentioned with the likes of Brownsburg, Avon, Carmel, ect. But they aren't ready for that just yet. For now and the foreseeable  future, Snider and Dwenger will continue to own Fort Wayne. They have built programs that have sustained decades of success and their isn't any sign of a slowdown for either program. For those of you who don't know, Russ Isaacs still plays a major role at Snider as an assistant for Coach Tippmann.  And Jason Garrett of Dwenger won a state championship in his first season.  A Dwenger guy to the core. Both programs looked ridiculously good last week for it being the first week of the season.

Carroll's victory against Luers, on paper, is quite impressive. No one expected them to paste them 42-0. But Luers isn't the same program they were when Kyle's father, Matt, was at the helm. I'm not saying Carroll can't beat Snider, it's just more than likely not going to happen if Snider brings their A game. For those of you who aren't from Fort Wayne, keep an eye on Homestead. That's the team that could be capable of overthrowing Snider and Dwenger this year. 

What are the primary differences between Homestead and Carroll relative to the below criteria :

* Socio economics

* Demographics

* Community support

* School pride and history

* Admin support of athletics

* Feeder programs

* Homegrown talent

1 minute ago, DT said:

What are the primary differences between Homestead and Carroll relative to the below criteria :

* Socio economics

* Demographics

* Community support

* School pride and history

* Admin support of athletics

* Feeder programs

* Homegrown talent

Can't give you any specifics, but being from and living close to Adams County, Homestead and Carroll are more like twins than they were before. Both areas have that affluent appeal to them now. Homestead has had it and Carroll is feeling more like it. So points 1 & 2 are pretty equal. I cannot state on point 3 not being a part of either community. School pride & history seem similar from an outsider. I won't comment on the last 3 either but it seems they have decent teams in other sports as well.

8 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Can't give you any specifics, but being from and living close to Adams County, Homestead and Carroll are more like twins than they were before. Both areas have that affluent appeal to them now. Homestead has had it and Carroll is feeling more like it. So points 1 & 2 are pretty equal. I cannot state on point 3 not being a part of either community. School pride & history seem similar from an outsider. I won't comment on the last 3 either but it seems they have decent teams in other sports as well.

Noted and thanks

I would agree that Perry Township (Carroll) and Aboite Township (Homestead) have much in common. Both are very affluent areas. I would say the big difference between the two is that Homestead established themselves as a "program" back in the early 90's. Just so there is no confusion, my definition of a "program" is a team that is built for success year after year. Homestead has done that. They've been good for almost three decades now. They represented the North in 1998 and probably would have done so again in 2002 had Snider not had two weeks to prepare for them in sectionals. Just look back at their history and you will see plenty of 10 win seasons. I honestly think they could have gone toe to toe with Carmel two years ago. 

Carroll's success didn't really come until a couple years after Dinan took over. The turning point was about 2012. Sure they had a decent season here and there, but no consistency until 2012. The highlight of the Carroll program was upsetting Penn in 2014 and taking down Snider last year. 

6 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I think Offensively, Michigan City probably a tick behind last year because of QB loss, but they have a STUD at RB who could play some QB.    

Big loss for MC will be the DL and LB corps from last year.   They will be a tough out no doubt.   Valpo on paper probably has the edge.;  Those 2 teams I bet see each other 2 times this year 

Last 2 seasons MC got their sectional championship wins over La Porte.  This season it will even get better as the Wolves have the potential of getting sectional wins over La Porte and Valpo.  That would be sweet.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:42 AM, Muda69 said:

That wasn't an upset.  Maconaquah was, is, and ever will be a basketball-first school.

Sorry DT, no way is Frankfort, or Clinton county for that matter, to considered to be in the southern Indiana.

Muda is correct about the basketball thing, BUT with the Colby kid coaching there with help from his dad...Mac has a chance to be a pseudo football school.  They always have size and some years good speed. Some years they have  Super Size AND Speed.  Those years were wasted away though a few years ago, losing to Peru in the Sectional.    When I say "help from his Dad" it is a total compliment to son and father.  Who wouldn't want Brett Colby on their sidelines? However, in a few very short years, young Colby will be just fine without any help.  Mac just needs to figure out how to keep him there when he wins 7-9 games a year with their schedule in the TRC and bigger schools come calling.  

Upset?  Southwood is pretty talented this year with a ton of returning kids.  Their coach is solid too.

• Like 1

Based on a limited sample size, Valpo is the Northern Indiana Team of the Week for Week 1.

We will take another shot at this for week 2.  Good luck to all!

On 8/27/2019 at 11:33 PM, DT said:

Carroll (Fort Wayne)

Yes, it was 6A vs 2A, but still Carroll vs Luers, and the Chargers smoked the Knights 42-0 in last weeks opener.  Maybe Carroll is finally starting to act like a big guy in this conference and start to make a move up the pecking order.  I've always thought Carroll to be a bit of a sleeping giant.  Homestead has sucked all the oxygen out of the room between the two schools since they joined the SAC together.  Doug Dinan has a nice program at Carroll, 67-36 over 10 years, very solid.  The Chargers will know if they are ready for prime time this week when they travel to conference heavyweight Snider.  Huge test and a possible program changer for Dinan's team.

Luers beat Wayne tonight. That makes Carroll's 42-0 thrashing of the Knights even more impressive. And then tonight against Snider, losing 21-20, difference being an extra point. Carroll finally looks like what a big suburban football program is suppose to look like tonight. Big and physical. Dwenger coming up September 20.