Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Boonville at Vincennes

Boonville (1-0) at Vincennes Lincoln (1-0)
GAME TIME: 7:30 pm ET, Inman Field.
COACHES: Darin Ward, 30-15 in 5th year at Boonville, 100-45 in 14th year overall. Levi Salters, 18-5 in 3rd year at Vincennes.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Vincennes, 54.23, 114th overall, 14th in 3A. Boonville, 51.54, 127th overall, 31st in 4A.
LAST OUTING: Boonville defeated Washington, 42-6. Vincennes defeated Evansville Bosse, 28-10.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Boonville 0-1. Vincennes 0-1.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Vincennes, 29-11
LAST MEETING: Boonville, 40-26, Aug. 24, 2018.
jh PREDICTION: Vincennes, 24-23.

The final meeting between these two teams could end up being the most meaningful, as both have sights set on a conference title. Both are popular picks to win the Big8 so this one could go a long way. 

Not sure how to gauge the Pioneers in 2019. There hasn’t been as much hype as compared to last years team that lost quite a few to graduation. And their annual opener against Washington usually never provides much clarity. I know they return their Sr QB Phillips, which is huge. They also have a couple receivers and some key linemen coming back. And they’re the champs until someone proves different! For me, that’s enough to expect a battle come Friday. 

Lincoln, on the other hand, learned quite a bit about themselves down at Enlow last week. Some of it was very good...some kind of bad. They were stellar defensively at every level, smothering the young QB for Bosse and causing 8 turnovers. Obviously, Phillips and the Boonville offense will be a much bigger test that I believe this defense is ready for. 

Offensively, the Alices just were not good. Pass protection has to be better this week or it’s gonna be a long night. At the very least, the run game will need to be more consistent to keep the opponent honest. And I think that will happen. I don’t see Boonville having the same caliber of defensive front that Bosse threw at us. 

Edited by SEAL_63

9 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:
Boonville (1-0) at Vincennes Lincoln (1-0)
GAME TIME: 7:30 pm ET, Inman Field.
COACHES: Darin Ward, 30-15 in 5th year at Boonville, 100-45 in 14th year overall. Levi Salters, 18-5 in 3rd year at Vincennes.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Vincennes, 54.23, 114th overall, 14th in 3A. Boonville, 51.54, 127th overall, 31st in 4A.
LAST OUTING: Boonville defeated Washington, 42-6. Vincennes defeated Evansville Bosse, 28-10.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Boonville 0-1. Vincennes 0-1.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Vincennes, 29-11
LAST MEETING: Boonville, 40-26, Aug. 24, 2018.
jh PREDICTION: Vincennes, 24-23.

The final meeting between these two teams could end up being the most meaningful, as both have sights set on a conference title. Both are popular picks to win the Big8 so this one could go a long way. 

Not sure how to gauge the Pioneers in 2019. There hasn’t been as much hype as compared to last years team that lost quite a few to graduation. And their annual opener against Washington usually never provides much clarity. I know they return their Sr QB Phillips, which is huge. They also have a couple receivers and some key linemen coming back. And they’re the champs until someone proves different! For me, that’s enough to expect a battle come Friday. 

Lincoln, on the other hand, learned quite a bit about themselves down at Enlow last week. Some of it was very good...some kind of bad. They were stellar defensively at every level, smothering the young QB for Bosse and causing 8 turnovers. Obviously, Phillips and the Boonville offense will be a much bigger test that I believe this defense is ready for. 

Offensively, the Alices just were not good. Pass protection has to be better this week or it’s gonna be a long night. At the very least, the run game will need to be more consistent to keep the opponent honest. And I think that will happen. I don’t see Boonville having the same caliber of defensive front that Bosse threw at us. 

We play you guys in Week 3. I’m really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Lincoln's offense is pathetic.  0-0 at half. 19-6 to end the game. Lincoln's lone score was on a big passing play. Boonville ran all over them in the 2nd on short field.  

Congrats Boonville 

2 games and has Vincennes even got a combined 10 first downs yet? 

10 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Give me Vincennes in the “upset”. 

Gut feeling but i like the way Vincennes has performed these last few years and I think they are only building upon something.  If I recall there is a lot of hype around the coach. 

Vincennes maybe in a few years.  But Boonville will be good again next year.

1 hour ago, D3dream said:

Lincoln's offense is pathetic.  0-0 at half. 19-6 to end the game. Lincoln's lone score was on a big passing play. Boonville ran all over them in the 2nd on short field.  

Congrats Boonville 

2 games and has Vincennes even got a combined 10 first downs yet? 

If they have its not been much more than that. There’s just a lot of confusion up front right now where they’re missing blocking assignments altogether, or just not staying on them long enough for plays to develop. And when you mix that with a sophomore QB who really needs that protection...well you see the results as of now. Coach Salters didn’t seem concerned on the radio. They know where the root of their problems are offensively and it’ll get ironed out.  

Now granted, those problems aren’t always the result of blocking. What may have looked like a blown protection could’ve been the QB bailing from the pocket too soon or a RB misreading a lane. It’s a team game. 

The defense was fantastic again IMO aside from some missed tackles. They gave up the majority of their points and yardage in the 2nd half after being on the field most of the game. They just wore down. But for defending short fields the entire game, 19 pts is pretty good. 

My take on Boonville is that they’re as good, if not better than a year ago. They lost quite a bit to graduation, but the experience they have back is in all the right places (QB, RB, OL, DL, LB). I don’t see another team on their schedule defeating them other than Jasper might have a shot. (Linton might be interesting also) They are so good up front on both sides led by Goines. Phillips isn’t a great thrower but he’s elusive and runs the offense efficiently. And then the man of the night was their RB Mockobee. Simply put, if you don’t wrap him up like you mean it, he’s not going down. Incredible balance and elusiveness. Boonville is just a BIG team at almost every position and they use it to their advantage to wear you down. 

—————————————————

So much like last season, not a bad loss for Lincoln. Disappointing obviously. Winning the final Big 8 title would’ve been a great accomplishment. But you can’t rule out a tie if they take care of business the rest of the way. No breaks next week unfortunately. 5A Floyd Central and a 3 hour bus ride await...

VL does have a very good D. It should only get better as well with the debut of a certain player next week. Heard he's a stud. 

That has been the lone bright spot. 

Considering the strength of the D, if and when the offense gets turned around, I like their chances rest of the year. 

• Like 1

Maybe time for Heritage Hills to add Boonville back to the schedule. There were unconfirmed rumors that Tell City would remain on HH's schedule moving forward.

With Jasper taking a bit to adjust to its new coach, HH opening against Mount Vernon, Boonville, Pike Central, and then Jasper before the real PAC schedule starts would be a benefit.

However, if Mater Dei continues to have problems finding a Week 2 opponent, perhaps Heritage Hills and the Wildcats should play again. It's always a tough  call when you have a small roster as a 3A school to know when to "upgrade" and when you are risking injury by playing too hard of a SoS early in the season.

Coach Ward is a class act and is the only coach who can say he was the last to beat Coach Clayton in a game where Coach Clayton's nephew gave a gutsy performance as running back with I believe a pulled hamstring.

https://www.spencercountyjournal.com/content/corydon-ends-patriot-football-season-friday

34 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Maybe time for Heritage Hills to add Boonville back to the schedule. There were unconfirmed rumors that Tell City would remain on HH's schedule moving forward.

With Jasper taking a bit to adjust to its new coach, HH opening against Mount Vernon, Boonville, Pike Central, and then Jasper before the real PAC schedule starts would be a benefit.

However, if Mater Dei continues to have problems finding a Week 2 opponent, perhaps Heritage Hills and the Wildcats should play again. It's always a tough  call when you have a small roster as a 3A school to know when to "upgrade" and when you are risking injury by playing too hard of a SoS early in the season.

Coach Ward is a class act and is the only coach who can say he was the last to beat Coach Clayton in a game where Coach Clayton's nephew gave a gutsy performance as running back with I believe a pulled hamstring.

https://www.spencercountyjournal.com/content/corydon-ends-patriot-football-season-friday

Huh?  You realize HH and Boonville will play next year right? And MD and Jasper will not have any non conference openings.

Edited by Titan20

1 hour ago, Titan20 said:

Huh?  You realize HH and Boonville will play next year right? And MD and Jasper will not have any non conference openings.

When a guy is living on the other side of the world I think we can understand if the off season news slips by him. 

9 hours ago, Titan20 said:

That’s pretty big news.

I forgot the closed schedules. Brain slip... Regardless let's see how long the new alignments hold. 

12 hours ago, 2017statechamps said:

Hey 04, if you had to take a guess what 9 teams will HH play next season?

Something like (in some kind of order):
*Mount Vernon
Tell City
*Boonville
Southridge
*Washington
*Gibson Southern
Jasper/Forest Park/other
*Princeton
South Spencer