Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Charlie Spegal

Having witnessed many of his games, tonight might have been the most impressive. CG's defense is big, stout and fundamentally-sound. Charlie ran for 218 tonight - but of that, it was 128 on 15 carries in the second half. 

I wasn't expecting him to get anywhere near the record tonight, but I'm glad he'll have the opportunity to break it on his home field. 

• Like 2

His numbers are absolutely crazy. I think there should be more schools taking notice of this young man but Army is a top notch school and a great fit for him if he decides to commit there. His highlights are fun to watch. 

Definitely a guy i I think most of the state can get behind when it comes to a Mr. Football candidate 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

His numbers are absolutely crazy. I think there should be more schools taking notice of this young man but Army is a top notch school and a great fit for him if he decides to commit there. His highlights are fun to watch. 

Definitely a guy i I think most of the state can get behind when it comes to a Mr. Football candidate 

I believe I read on Twitter where Tennessee is showing interest. 

On 8/31/2019 at 12:37 AM, DumfriesYMCA said:

If this were 1985, every major college program in the country would be lined up at the door. But he's projected as a fullback - a position few college teams use anymore. Charlie is faster than he looks. If he goes to West Point (which is one of the FCS schools where he has an offer), he'll thrive in their offense (and set himself up for life with a great education and a career as an officer in the military). Wherever he goes, he'll be a critical player for them.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crimsonace1 said:

If this were 1985, every major college program in the country would be lined up at the door. But he's projected as a fullback - a position few college teams use anymore. Charlie is faster than he looks. If he goes to West Point, he'll thrive in their offense (and set himself up for life with a great education and a career as an officer in the military). Wherever he goes, he'll be a critical player for them.  

Just amazing to me that today’s college world would rather use his skill set for mostly blocking ...he has the aptitude to be a power RB. Army is a great fit as well as other option based teams. 

Just now, DumfriesYMCA said:

Just amazing to me that today’s college world would rather use his skill set for mostly blocking ...he has the aptitude to be a power RB. Army is a great fit as well as other option based teams. 

He runs the 100 meters for NP's track team. He combines speed with difficulty to take down and is a real treat to watch in the open field (his run at the end of the first half in last year's title game was one of the most impressive runs I've ever seen). I'd take Charlie Spegal on my team in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

If this were 1985, every major college program in the country would be lined up at the door. But he's projected as a fullback - a position few college teams use anymore. Charlie is faster than he looks. If he goes to West Point, he'll thrive in their offense (and set himself up for life with a great education and a career as an officer in the military). Wherever he goes, he'll be a critical player for them.  

I watch every Army game.  If he chooses West Point, he'll be a star.  While his skill set and speed may translate (and some don't think it will) to a major college spread team, his skill set is unquestionably perfect for Army.

Charlie Spegal is 11 yards away from breaking Sammy Mireles' state rushing record of 8,110 yards, and so he's likely to break it Friday night vs. Yorktown. 

Mireles is going to be in attendance to honor Charlie during the game. Really first-class for him to be there and be a part of this occasion. They're the only two backs in IHSAA football history to rush for more than 8,000 yards. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Charlie Spegal is 11 yards away from breaking Sammy Mireles' state rushing record of 8,110 yards, and so he's likely to break it Friday night vs. Yorktown. 

Mireles is going to be in attendance to honor Charlie during the game. Really first-class for him to be there and be a part of this occasion. They're the only two backs in IHSAA football history to rush for more than 8,000 yards. 

I'm thrilled Sammy will be in attendance. I am sure he remembers what a thrill it was when he did the same thing. https://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports/high_school_sports/mireles-sets-rushing-record-as-panthers-win-thriller/article_e8ba62ed-357a-5c82-bba4-de31c89e50f0.html

Spegal could break it on his first carry of the game.

On 9/1/2019 at 8:15 AM, coachkj said:

I watch every Army game.  If he chooses West Point, he'll be a star.  While his skill set and speed may translate (and some don't think it will) to a major college spread team, his skill set is unquestionably perfect for Army.

Army looked really good against Michigan!  I’m a Navy guy, but I was rooting for the Knights in this one!

On 9/1/2019 at 8:15 AM, coachkj said:

I think his “lack of speed” is the primary reason is is not getting interest from “major college spread teams”, no?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 1:57 PM, crimsonace1 said:

Brett Law had a ton of two-point conversions, but Spegal now also needs 92 points (16 more touchdowns, or 15 TDs and a conversion) with at least four games left in his career to break Law's record of 952 career points. 

Congrats to young Mr Spegal on all his achievements. The impressive thing to me is the complete contrasts in offense Spegal plays in compared to Law! The Sheridan offense was completely different from the spread Spegal plays in. Law touched the ball A LOT! Spegal gets his fair share of carries, but there are other weapons that see the ball several times throughout the game. So it is very impressive that Spegal is approaching this milestone with I woould guess not as many touches as Law! 

No one is gonna say it?? No one?? Really??

Ok I guess I will have to be THAT guy - and I apologize to Mr. Spegal cause this is no way a reflection of the young man. I've never met him or said two words to him, I'm sure he's an outstanding individual - but shame on Coach Ralph. Up 55 and you leave this guy in to get 2 more TD's?? I'm sorry, but I can't believe this guy (Ralph) just constantly gets a free pass of YEARS of "running up" the score. I don't think it's right and as a person in education/coaches role, I believe Ralph owes better to his team. Empathy/compassion/sportsmanship are traits the world could use more of....EGOTISM is something we have plenty of. 

I wasn't around in the Brett Law days so maybe the same could be said of his Coach and chasing records, I'm not sure?? But the constant leaving a kid in to rack up more TDs and yards is just disgraceful. 

Sorry to be negative but it's been allowed to go on for so long without being called out. I can't believe his Administration and/or community members have allowed the years of 78-0 brow-beatings to take place without at least SOMEONE saying "hey man, can we take it back a notch?" 

• Disdain 3