Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Charlie Spegal

23 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Can we send the kids to bed yet?  Hopefully the parental controls on their tablets lock them at 9pm...

The dude is def 22-26 years old. An absolute clown..Not very educated. Tried to brag that he went to these tailgates yet got called out by other Irish Fans that clearly said he wasn’t there. Never would introduce himself. One of those 3rd string bench players. “I PlAyEd At CaThEdRaL” 

Edited by Olympian06

41 minutes ago, irishfootball1906 said:

Do you really think CG is good this year?  Regardless of record?   The Irish wouldnt have fewer titles they simply wouldnt chose to play such high level of competition during the regular season......For every Elder and Moeller and St X they play. There is a Yorktown, shelbyville and Jeffersonville.  CG is having an uncharacteristically  bad year everyone knows that.....

Watch out for CG.  They will likely win 6A state

2 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

So not had a good year since 2014?  Wow, especially since there's no residency requirement and they get alot of top players from outside what would be their district.   Maybe @DT should think about putting the Irish on the contraction list. I mean, 4 bad years in a row.....

a shot of cathedral recruiting.. it is all good. No state championship in 4 years is not good. 

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, dmizers3 said:

Got it, so you're only criteria is record. Ok, well Cathedral has been pretty average at best then for a while. I guess those 5 loss title teams were just lucky?  Good thing Indiana let's everyone(even bad sub .500 teams) in the playoffs otherwise your Irish would have alot fewer titles.

cannot really tell if this was sarcasm or not, but record and strenth of schedule will show come playoffs. Excited to see this regional match up and see the hype behind New Pal. Best of luck to the dragons and the irish

2 hours ago, irishfootball1906 said:

Do you really think CG is good this year?  Regardless of record?   The Irish wouldnt have fewer titles they simply wouldnt chose to play such high level of competition during the regular season......For every Elder and Moeller and St X they play. There is a Yorktown, shelbyville and Jeffersonville.  CG is having an uncharacteristically  bad year everyone knows that.....

I guess you’ll find out in week #9.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Watch out for CG.  They will likely win 6A state

Likely? You couldn’t even say “they have a good chance”, or “they are my dark horse”?

No, you had to go all favorite on us. CG is learning how to win without their standout. Sometimes that backfires when the ‘ol gang gets back together. 

6 hours ago, Staxawax said:

I guess you’ll find out in week #9.

Likely? You couldn’t even say “they have a good chance”, or “they are my dark horse”?

No, you had to go all favorite on us. CG is learning how to win without their standout. Sometimes that backfires when the ‘ol gang gets back together. 

Stax

6A is a bit down this year.  There is no true powerhouse team.  CG s early schedule was just brutal.  No other team has gone thru the gauntlet like they have.  They will roll thru the rest of the season and the sectional and regional unchallenged.   I have always hoped to see CG play a Duneland school for the state title.  Maybe this will be the year.  

Edited by DT

7 minutes ago, DT said:

Stax

6A is a bit down this year.  There is no true powerhouse team.  CG s early schedule was just brutal.  No other team has gone thru the gauntlet like they have.  They will roll thru the rest of the season and the sectional and regional unchallenged.   I have always hoped to see CG play a Duneland school for the state title.  Maybe this will be the year.  

Their regional will be challenging. They’ll have to go through Avon or Brownsburg, two very good teams.

16 hours ago, FridayNightLights said:

Don't think DC is the team they were last year. They haven't been able to put together a full game on both O and D. I think its going to be up to you guys take them down. I hope spegal and crew rush for 500+ yards and 10+ TDs lol. Cathedral has always thought they're above everyone else. Minor example is how they use more than 50 yards of the field during warm ups while both teams are on the field. Just an example lol. Not trying to start a war here, you just will never catch me rooting for Cathedral. The arrogance of their following on here doesn't help the cause either

I call BS on this post. I have been to plenty of games in my time with Cathedral as well as other games. As a matter of fact I have been to all but maybe 1 of the playoff games between Cathedral and Decatur Central. Not once have I seen them use more than 50 yards of the field during warm-ups while both teams are on the field (no different than any other team). On a side note (off topic) one of the coolest pre-game traditions I have been able to witness was Evansville Reitz. I have sat with and talked with plenty of Cathedral fans and parents as well as other schools they were no more arrogant than any other fan base. Also I highly doubt that 2 message board posters on this website make up the majority of the Irish fan base, especially one that has been called out by a couple Cathedral fans/parents for their BS. I can say that @PHJIrish, @IndplsCathedral_Dad , @IndianaWrestlingGuy1among others are not arrogant and very respectful. I am sure there are plenty of generalizations about Decatur Central based off of a few people and their actions. Fortunately I don't buy into their BS.

10 hours ago, irishfootball1906 said:

Wait a minute weren't you the one that was calling out Cathedral players earlier this year? The one who called New Pal a special team (which they are) and stating that Cathedral was not a special team (which they are). Ever make it to the Irish tailgate to meet some of the Irish players parents so they could put a face with the screen name? Funny how things have done a 180 @IndplsCathedral_Dad

17 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

Why the hate? Has two really good games vs Center Grove. And great games against Zionsville, Harrison, Michigan City, and Decatur Central. And he has several offers? Don’t understand why people come on here to put a kid down and don’t have their facts straight.

I agree the hate is terrible. Regardless who he has had good games against he is a terrific football player. There is no need to come an put kids down regardless of what school they attend. I am wishing more and more that you would have yelled out the "1906" at the Cathedral Freshman game you attended! The mass laughter would have been pure gold. After looking over this thread yourself and @dmizers3 should just ignore the 2 of the posters. It is obvious they don't share the same sentiment as others on this website that have much respect for the New Pal Dragons. It is kind of sad to seem them stoop lower and lower with each post. There are a few posters I mentioned up above that I think are likely cringing at their comments.

Edited by FastpacedO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

I call BS on this post. I have been to plenty of games in my time with Cathedral as well as other games. As a matter of fact I have been to all but maybe 1 of the playoff games between Cathedral and Decatur Central. Not once have I seen them use more than 50 yards of the field during warm-ups while both teams are on the field (no different than any other team). On a side note (off topic) one of the coolest pre-game traditions I have been able to witness was Evansville Reitz. I have sat with and talked with plenty of Cathedral fans and parents as well as other schools they were no more arrogant than any other fan base. Also I highly doubt that 2 message board posters on this website make up the majority of the Irish fan base, especially one that has been called out by a couple Cathedral fans/parents for their BS. I can say that @PHJIrish, @IndplsCathedral_Dad , @IndianaWrestlingGuy1among others are not arrogant and very respectful. I am sure there are plenty of generalizations about Decatur Central based off of a few people and their actions. Fortunately I don't buy into their BS.

Wait a minute weren't you the one that was calling out Cathedral players earlier this year? The one who called New Pal a special team (which they are) and stating that Cathedral was not a special team (which they are). Ever make it to the Irish tailgate to meet some of the Irish players parents so they could put a face with the screen name? Funny how things have done a 180 @IndplsCathedral_Dad

I agree the hate is terrible. Regardless who he has had good games against he is a terrific football player. There is no need to come an put kids down regardless of what school they attend. I am wishing more and more that you would have yelled out the "1906" at the Cathedral Freshman game you attended! The mass laughter would have been pure gold. After looking over this thread yourself and @dmizers3 should just ignore the 2 of the posters. It is obvious they don't share the same sentiment as others on this website that have much respect for the New Pal Dragons. It is kind of sad to seem them stoop lower and lower with each post. There are a few posters I mentioned up above that I think are likely cringing at their comments.

You're right on the generalization of fans. Always a few bad eggs . That was wrong of me. Maybe that "tradition" of warming up on the other side of the 50 left with Streiff. Personally witnessed (and also played against them) when they have done it

Also wasn't trying to be ugly when I said he was ignorant. It was meaning the true definition of "not knowing" 

Edited by FridayNightLights

Ummm...by my accounts this thread is for Charlie Spegal. 

I don’t give a hoot about cathedral tailgates, who played on their JV team for 4 years or about Center Groves team. 

on topic,  I seen something about Spegal being offered from Indiana...or maybe they were pursuing him heavily.  But I’m not seeing an offer on 247.  Is this a preferred walk on like Tennessee 

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

By far the best post I've read in this thread! If both Cathedral & New Pal are fortunate enough to go head to head in the playoffs, it will be an awesome atmosphere and a great game from whichever side you're on. New Pal is a strong program that has played at a high level over the last several years and Cathedral has a winning tradition like few others in this state! I'm looking forward to the post season! Good luck to both programs!

• Like 1

Man, as if most folks needed another reason to dislike Cathedral, these two bozos certainly don't help.

I'll go ahead and go out on a limb in saying that these two do not represent the masses when it comes to Irish football.  At least, I hope not.

I'd love to see the resumes of these guys...

1 hour ago, irishfootball1906 said:

Not very educated, and got called out by Irish fans....Umm ok.  You are the man....smh...

I know I am... no need to reiterate.. “LOLz” “SMH” 😂😂

30 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Man, as if most folks needed another reason to dislike Cathedral, these two bozos certainly don't help.

I'll go ahead and go out on a limb in saying that these two do not represent the masses when it comes to Irish football.  At least, I hope not.

I'd love to see the resumes of these guys...

Obviously they don’t. Look at the normal Cathedral posters... now look at what they post. Haha 

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

100% agreed. 

1 minute ago, DT said:

Who is better?

My apologies, I left out the word likely. So it should have read, "Not likely."  No disrespect was meant.  

To answer your question, I believe that Avon and Brownsburg are better teams this year than CG.  CG is still a very good team, but very young at key positions.  They have also started to not run the Wing-T as much now that they have a quarterback that can actually throw a nice ball.  So with that comes growing pains, like pass blocking.  It is no secret that CG kids run that system starting in 1st and 2nd grade, so pass blocking is truly never taught.  So to ask a bunch of young men who have never pass blocked to all of the sudden do it, you get lots of holds, which I am sure the New Pal fans noticed week 2. They are a very talented team made up of a bunch of great players.  Their junior and sophomore glass are very talented and will more than likely win state the next two seasons.

19 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

As Temptation said, there is a stigma against white RB and white DB.  And I've actually heard it from coaches, so it's real.

WOW.

3 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

I would definitely agree with this.  I also know that know that getting passed Decatur Central isn't going to be a cake walk.  I know it will take a great game to beat New Pal.  New Pal's schedule is a joke, they even know it, but all they can do is line up and play who is on there.  I would hate to be in a position where you try to better your schedule by dropping an 0-5 football team and adding a 2-3 team, but I give them credit for at least attempting to improve it.  Kyle Ralph, a Saint X Bomber himself, is an outstanding coach and I am sure does the best he can with the struggle that is managing playing a weak schedule.

Congrats to Charlie Spegal on his accomplishments and I wish nothing but the best for that young man and all the great athletes at New Pal.    Charlie doesn't fit the mold of what college programs are looking for in a running back, but he is a great football player and that's why he is getting the preferred walk-on options at Power 5 schools.  Not fitting the mold is not Charlie's fault, there is just certain criteria that immediately make them uncheck your box, height would be my guess in Charlie's case.  I could be wrong but I know other great running backs that took visits and the first thing they do is measure the height and then say thanks for coming and enjoy the game, and they heard nothing else from that school.  Yes it is unfortunate, but that's just the way things are. Like I already said, no hate here, and I know plenty of other Cathedral parents that share the same opinion as myself.  

I look forward to my son and his teammates having the chance to knock off a great team with a historic player.  To beat them would allow my son to say, yeah Charlie Spegal was a tremendous player, but we stopped him from winning state the year he broke the record.  That's not disrespect, but an honor.  You play the game to win and beat the best.  I look forward to that game if both teams are fortunate enough to get there.  Hopefully both teams stay healthy and we see what I would call the most anticipated Regional match up in quit a few years. 

• Like 2

The Gridiron Digest is not in the "Breaking News" business and no gets an award for being "1st to tell you" in particluar to these topics

1)  Coaching Hires/Resignations

2)  HIGH SCHOOL Players and availability whether its health or suspensions

If its reported in a newspaper so be it, if its I heard at the water cooler of a friend who's dad knows the cousin of the 5th string Manager then its not fit for our board. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

The Gridiron Digest is not in the "Breaking News" business and no gets an award for being "1st to tell you" in particluar to these topics

1)  Coaching Hires/Resignations

2)  HIGH SCHOOL Players and availability whether its health or suspensions

If its reported in a newspaper so be it, if its I heard at the water cooler of a friend who's dad knows the cousin of the 5th string Manager then its not fit for our board. 

My apologies, did not mean any ill will. 

• Like 1

going back to the New Pal schedule....

I don't have any numbers to back this up but I really don't think New Pal's schedule is as terrible as most are saying.  I think they are really dominant and have made it look easy these last few years. The HHC isn't a great conference but I don't think it deserves the criticism it has received early in this thread.  lets just call a spade a spade.... It is a 4A conference (except Yorktown). New Pal is a 4A team. I'm sure new pal would fit great in that conference with Franklin, Whiteland, and Mooresville, but you cant just bolt conferences when you have a couple good years.

Obviously Greenfield is always horrible and shelbyville is on another level of horrible last year and this year but historically they are one of the better programs in the conference.  Just looking at this year, Delta is solid, Mt. Vernon and Pendleton are no slouch either.  Yorktown is a decent 3A team and then you drop to New Castle, G-C, and Shelbyville.

@CaptainHook  I can;'t wait for 10/18.  if Delta can get by PHHS this Friday it will be a showdown of unbeatens for the helmet and the HHC title.  My score prediction would be something along the lines of 51-17 for NP, but it will be a good atmosphere and that is how conference titles should be decided!!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

My apologies, I left out the word likely. So it should have read, "Not likely."  No disrespect was meant.  

To answer your question, I believe that Avon and Brownsburg are better teams this year than CG.  CG is still a very good team, but very young at key positions.  They have also started to not run the Wing-T as much now that they have a quarterback that can actually throw a nice ball.  So with that comes growing pains, like pass blocking.  It is no secret that CG kids run that system starting in 1st and 2nd grade, so pass blocking is truly never taught.  So to ask a bunch of young men who have never pass blocked to all of the sudden do it, you get lots of holds, which I am sure the New Pal fans noticed week 2. They are a very talented team made up of a bunch of great players.  Their junior and sophomore glass are very talented and will more than likely win state the next two seasons.

I am not saying that I necessarily disagree but it all comes down to Steele.  If he is healthy, Center Grove is as much of a contender as anyone.  If not, I don't believe they are.

As for Avon and Brownsburg, I've seen both play and both are solid (I have them 1-2 in by GID rankings) but not far and above by any means.  As someone who has spearheaded the MIC/HCC debate, I'm still waiting for an HCC team to make it to LOS before I anoint the conference.  I have pause, but as mentioned if any year is the year, this is it.

Back to the original topic as I do not want to hijack the thread.  Spegal is the real deal.  If what he did against Center Grove did not convince you, nothing will.